Bloodshot and HARDCorps #21 discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Bloodshot and HARDCorps #21 discussion

Post by bygranddesign »

Wow.. I really loved this issue. It was a great conclusion to a very strong arc. I didn't love the previous issue of BS&HC I thought it was a step back from the A&A opening issue with the art and story falling a bit flat but this issue was chock full of great dialogue, interesting plot developments and the art by Tom Raney, i'm not sure if i'm just getting used to his style, but it was much more enjoyable this issue.

What I also love about this issue was that the storyline furthered the plot developments of the main story arc of BS&HC. Bloodshot negotiated a deal that allowed Archer to use his hacking skills to infiltrate PRS and deactivate the bombs in Generation Zero's heads - I thought that was a great way of tying this story with the upcoming arc.

Gage/Dysart got a lot of things accomplished in terms of plot points (including granite and kozol finally hooking up - its like Ross and Rachel finally hooking up except less vomit inducing) while also providing some great action scenes and some fun dialogue especially between Bloodshot and Armstrong.

The only thing I'm curious about is I thought Harada deactivated the bombs in Gen Zero's heads? I'm gonna have to go back to videotape again.. :?

overall 8.5/10 ... Very strong issue. Can't wait to read the next arc

Now i'm off to read Unity :thumb:
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart
Re: Bloodshot and HARDCorps #21 discussion

Post by pixierosa »

They did a good job of tying up the loose ends and finishing up the arc. Gotta love that smile at the end. It was good read. Satisfying.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Good read. Excellent job wrapping up the crossover. I also thought the art was improved from the last issue. I need more focus on Bloodshot, and I hope that is what's coming. Other than Palmer, I could really care less about the members of HARD Corps. Vagabond is the only one that has grown on me at all.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

Overall i enjoyed the issue, but the art was still bad IMHO.

Watching Bloodshot and Armstrong fight made me really think Armstrong might really have a nanite body. There was a lot of dialogue spent spent comparing their healing abilities.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

SJS4 wrote:Overall i enjoyed the issue, but the art was still bad IMHO.

Watching Bloodshot and Armstrong fight made me really think Armstrong might really have a nanite body. There was a lot of dialogue spent spent comparing their healing abilities.
I thought that too. But do Armstrong's Nanites feed on alcohol instead of amino acids?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Really liked this entire arc. Didn't really care for the art in the issue though. Loved the page where Armstrong asks Bloodshot if he drinks, then hugs him because he can't get drunk. I laughed out loud, a few times, in front of my wife. She must think I'm a total nerd.... oh wait....
Great arc. Looking forward to more, which is always a good sign.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

It seems that the art duties were handled by three different teams, based on the list of credits. Most of it was Raney, but I was wondering which pages were worked on by the other artists.

They tied a lot of stuff up, but it felt a little forced to me.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

judge just as a single issue of a crossover, not bad pretty decently wrapped everything and set up events for both books next arcs.

As a crossover, it was a crossover, nothing really ground breaking here decent job of mixing two completely unrelated properties.

However, I can't wait till Hardcorps are gone, Bloodshot needs his book back. I believe others have mentioned that outside of Palmer everyone else can just be killed off already. The real saving grace was Bloodshots twisted smile and the fact he's now gunning openly for Hardcorps.

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

great conclusion to the arc! I like seeing Bloodshot take control of the book again, the last page really has me excited for the next arc. I've grown attached to some of the HC members so I hope some of them survive, wouldn't mind seeing them in a solo mini series after this.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Great arc; fantastic, grand wrap-up issue. No issues with the art, a few laugh out loud moments ("What!?) :clap: The battle between Bloodshot and Armstrong, while not epic, is a noteworthy first.

I am very much enjoying the interplay between the titles and the large cast. The universe is being cemented together quite nicely.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

dornwolf wrote:judge just as a single issue of a crossover, not bad pretty decently wrapped everything and set up events for both books next arcs.

As a crossover, it was a crossover, nothing really ground breaking here decent job of mixing two completely unrelated properties.

However, I can't wait till Hardcorps are gone, Bloodshot needs his book back. I believe others have mentioned that outside of Palmer everyone else can just be killed off already. The real saving grace was Bloodshots twisted smile and the fact he's now gunning openly for Hardcorps.
:o Are you reading my mind? Literally this post is everything I was going to say.

I got so excited when they made it clear that bloodshot is gunning for hardcorps

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I love Bloodshot, so I love where this seems to be going.

Hated the art, though.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

BugsySig wrote:
SJS4 wrote:Overall i enjoyed the issue, but the art was still bad IMHO.

I thought that too. But do Armstrong's Nanites feed on alcohol instead of amino acids?
If they did he'd never be able to get drunk, the nanites would absorb the alcohol too fast. Mind you that might explain why he drinks so much.
ilzuccone wrote:
dornwolf wrote:judge just as a single issue of a crossover, not bad pretty decently wrapped everything and set up events for both books next arcs.

:o Are you reading my mind? Literally this post is everything I was going to say.

I got so excited when they made it clear that bloodshot is gunning for hardcorps
Quick think of your PIN number and all your passwords.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

NOOO!!

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

ilzuccone wrote:NOOO!!
All too easy...
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Aomalle27
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 90s
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: XOmanowar
Favorite writer: ?

Post by Aomalle27 »

Wow, I must be the only one that enjoys the HardCorps. Maybe you Bloodshot fans will enjoy a solo book, maybe not, but I'd miss Hardcorps if they are dumped. As for this issue, I thought it was sloppy and rushed. Bloodshot stabs Armstrong in the head, and next thing you know, they're both buddy buddy. Plus the harmonious agreement between Kozol and Archer seemed too convienient a wrap up. Just not digging on this arc, and glad it's over. the crossover seemed like a good idea, but the execution of which, fell far below my expectations.

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

Is Armstrong's healing ability near-instantaneous? For I would think being stabbed in the head and shot in the knee would drop him immediately, Bloodshot wins. Of course, this fight seemed more for laughs then anything 'serious'....

It was an okay ending, the art was still iffy. Interested to see what Obie does now with his whole history available to him now. Though Bloodshot's smile was deliciously evil......

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Why has the art been so horrible on this book lately??
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

kjjohanson
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

String wrote:Is Armstrong's healing ability near-instantaneous?
It took him a while to regain his vision after Mary Maria shot him in the eyes, so no.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

String wrote:Is Armstrong's healing ability near-instantaneous? For I would think being stabbed in the head...
Yeah, that was a bit much. I mean, his neurons do have to communicate with each other, yes?

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

one thing that hasn't been brought up yet (unless I missed it) is the reference to the escaped PRS kids (now captured by Harada) and the references to BS potentially going after them. I thought this was a nice tie-in to what we saw in Harbinger Wars and hopefully brings back some of those characters - perhaps we'll see something in Armour Hunters: Harbinger as a result of Armour Hunters: Bloodshot going at it alone...

Also I want to see a return of Kara and her injured army bro - hopefully we get that...

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

Also....re: HARD Coprs - I don't think we'll see them in a standalone but perhaps as a fractured unit across various titles:

Vagabond - occasional appearance in A&A
Palmer - perhaps aligned with BS at some stage due to shared conflict with PRS
Disciple - cameo's in A&A, might join the sect?

Granite - aligned with Kozol, part of the PRS 'bad guys'

Genius - bites the dust in the next arc
Flatline - bites the dust in the next arc

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

Aomalle27 wrote:Wow, I must be the only one that enjoys the HardCorps. Maybe you Bloodshot fans will enjoy a solo book, maybe not, but I'd miss Hardcorps if they are dumped.
Thing is we all don't hate the Hardcorps. I believe the majority have enjoyed them. However the first name in the title is Bloodshot and he's rarely been in the book. That's the problem the lead hasn't been the lead all in the name of building up Hardcorps. Now all that development will be wasted if they are all killed or don't get their own mini's or apperences in other books. So hopefully after the split they go somewhere.

Savant

Post by Savant »

Aomalle27 wrote:Wow, I must be the only one that enjoys the HardCorps. Maybe you Bloodshot fans will enjoy a solo book, maybe not, but I'd miss Hardcorps if they are dumped. As for this issue, I thought it was sloppy and rushed. Bloodshot stabs Armstrong in the head, and next thing you know, they're both buddy buddy. Plus the harmonious agreement between Kozol and Archer seemed too convienient a wrap up. Just not digging on this arc, and glad it's over. the crossover seemed like a good idea, but the execution of which, fell far below my expectations.

Count me in as another person who has enjoyed the HARDCorps members in this book. I've liked the majority of the characters, and the book has developed somewhat of a Suicide Squad feel to it (Ostrander-era) where there's a possibility almost any character might die in a mission.

I will say I didn't bother with the second part of this cross-over. I thought the first A&A issue was just OK, while the first BS issue was horrid. As such, I didn't bother with parts 3 & 4......I might jump back on Bloodshot & HARDCorps by next issue, as long as it doesn't have the same artist who worked on the cross-over.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

I've liked Bloodshot both with and without the HARD Corps. I like that VEI was willing to change up the paradigm of the book. I like that Bloodshot has been biding his time and is now totally willing to continue his pursuit of dismantling PRS even if he has to go through HARD Corps to do it. I hope that all of them don't die as I like the characters and the concept of having a HARD Corps team, but if he offs 2 or 3 of them in the process to make it really hard hitting, I'll be okay. Palmer would be the biggest loss, followed by Vagabond.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)