Complete Set of VH1 Regular Issues

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Do you have a complete set of VH1 regular issues

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes: 69

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors
Complete Set of VH1 Regular Issues

Post by DawgPhan »

Alright I was curious about this. Someone said that probably nearly everyone on here had a complete set of VH1 regular issues. I say that most do not. So this does not include the VVSS, gold, platinum, or anyhthing like that. Just the 703 regular issues. Who got the sets?

R Daneel
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Solar, Magnus
Favorite title: VEI Harbinger

Post by R Daneel »

Knightt_333 wrote:This is a very good topic but will surely change over time as more come BACK to the Boards. Like... no kidding Knightt_333, right ? :lol:
Duh ... no kidding Knightt_333!

qrnd
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by qrnd »

This survey should be interesting. I guess what I remember seeing from the collections posted on this site were less than I remember.

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

uruchuu wrote:This survey should be interesting. I guess what I remember seeing from the collections posted on this site were less than I remember.
I am not trying to make this into a pi$$ing contest with you...I was just curious about the demographics of this boards users....I just figured that there were not a lot of complete sets out there. Right now there are to few replies to really get anything from this.

qrnd

Post by qrnd »

I didnt mean to make that sound like a challenge, but I too am curious about how many complete sets are around.

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

According to the inventory list 19 have complet VH1 regular sets.

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

x-omatic wrote:According to the inventory list 19 have complet VH1 regular sets.
that is true and when this site when down it had over 400 members.. so maybe 5 percent have complete sets....well I would bet that some of those sets no longer exist just as some of the users of this board no longer exist, but also there are probably a few people who have not put there inventory up on the site yet...I dont know why you wouldnt at least try to put part of it up but to each his own...but still 19 is a little lower than I thought..I guess it still goes back to what percentage of the hardcore valiant collectors are on this site.. I would expect that the percentage of collectors would be rather high..somewhere around 60-70%...any guess as to those percentages?...any guess as to how many complete valiant runs are out there in collections? I would doubt that many shops have complete runs. If it is less than 20 that is something that I would not have expected.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

i only need 50 issues to get to 100% on the regular issues, but i have many of the "premium" books too.
i'm sure i could trade my good stuff to get all the commons i need...late solar and magnus and bloodshot seem to be the toughest...x-o seems to be the easiest-i only need issue 40, and i have many dupes, and know where i could find even more at local shops...

Jaknife
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Jaknife »

i need three issues of bloodshot. and tons of other issues.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Ok, I gotta wonder....I've had a complete set for years now, and completed it in the mid to late 90's...since then, I've just not looked for anything but Pre-Unity, because I *had* everything else, and didn't bother with it.

I didn't buy multiples of anything else because I REMEMBER getting stung in the mid-90's with these books that were supposed to be worth money, and while I did VERY VERY well, I still had FAR too many copies of X-O #14 and #15, Shadowman #16, etc etc.

So my question is...are Valiants *really* that hard to find? Was I just lucky that all the shops I visited had all these books that didn't sell, and these shops either dumped them or got rid of them, and the new shops didn't buy them, so NO ONE has them except collectors?

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

I went to a shop today for the first time in years...three guys working in it. All the valiants were in the back...none in the bins up front and these guys were pretty clueless about valiant stuff...one comment I got from a guy was that "people just stopped buying them...we kept ordering but they never left the shop" I don't think he has a clue how low the print runs got at the end...so when he gave me the last issue of bloodshot for .50 I wasn't gonna quibble with him. :)

so to answer your question...I think many shops stopped ordering and simply don't have them, there are some shops like the one I found that have them stashed somewhere in the back and will get rid of them for cheap and then a few who always have everything available.
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

myron wrote: so to answer your question...I think many shops stopped ordering and simply don't have them, there are some shops like the one I found that have them stashed somewhere in the back and will get rid of them for cheap and then a few who always have everything available.
Actually, my question was 'are they *really* that hard to find' not whether STORES have them or not. ;) I would assume that anyone who has trouble finding these books have already ASKED their local stores for anything/everything they have. So it's not a question of what stores have, and where, but whether they have anything at ALL, and if the stocks that everyone DID have are all gone, and WHERE did it go?

qrnd

Post by qrnd »

Im sure a lot of the books are sitting in some warehouse that has been forgotten about over time. I remember the owner of Mile High Comics saying how he once found a trailer on his property with comics he forgot to distribute from years ago. Also I wonder how many of the books have been destroyed. It was once standard policy to rip the cover off a book and toss it in the garbage if it didnt sell.

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

With less than a third of all registered users reporting it is a dead heat...still to early to tell though...I really did not think that it would be this close but I guess that it is really early. Also this topic has nearly 150 views but only 25 replies to the poll...what gives why arent people filling out the poll? it is just one click and you either have it or you dont. I know that a lot of those views are people keeping up with the thread but some have to be new views that are not filling out the poll...I figure that we need about 75-80% of the users to get a fair idea about the number of sets out there.

myron
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

75-80% of the people before the crash...even then would it be statistically meaningful? There are probably people out there who collect comics that have valiant stuff who haven't even heard of this site... :(
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

myron wrote:75-80% of the people before the crash...even then would it be statistically meaningful? There are probably people out there who collect comics that have valiant stuff who haven't even heard of this site... :(
Well I do not know....I assume that nearly everyone who collects comics has internet access and is somewhat internet savy (being able to use a search engine). I assume this because the two seem to go hand in hand...computers and comics it makes sense to me. I am not saying that there are not people who collect comics that are not on the internet I am just saying that they are not statistically interesting. Now valiants being a subset of comics would have even less people who collect comics but are not on the internet...Now I have no real way to prove any of this but it seems to make sense to me. So now if nearly everyone who collects valiants is on the internet surely they would at one point search for information about valiant comics or run across a blurb about valiantcomics.com in an ebay ad. So I think that most people collecting valiants know about this site. I am just curious about hom many full runs are out there. Someone pointed out that there are 19 in the inventory but I figure that some of those may no longer exist and that there might be collections not in the inventory. just trying to get some sort of idea about the number...Also most of this was spurred by someone saying that he thought that nearly everyone on here had a comlpete run. I though overwise and figured we could jsut run a poll. Umm it does not look like we are getting the participation that we need to really have any idea....and always any new person that registers could bring with them a complete set or an uncomplete set.

jusdb
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by jusdb »

it pains me to select no above...im only about 4 books away..

darn you captain johner 1 & 2, rai 4, magnus 0, and x-o/ironman!!!

R Daneel
Favorite character: Solar, Magnus
Favorite title: VEI Harbinger

Post by R Daneel »

DawgPhan wrote:Also this topic has nearly 150 views but only 25 replies to the poll...what gives why arent people filling out the poll? it is just one click and you either have it or you dont. I know that a lot of those views are people keeping up with the thread but some have to be new views that are not filling out the poll...
I think 25 uniques in 150 total views is very good. I know I've done WAY MORE than my share of viewing.

:P

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

yeah I gues that you are right...hell I probably account for 20 or so of those views jsut trying to keep up with this thread...I guess what I really do not get it that we now have somewhere around 70-80 users and only 25 replies...but I am still surprised at the numbers right now....man it is hard work trying to keep up with you and knight_333

qrnd

Post by qrnd »

Im sure some people that only check this site a few times a month havent even re-registered yet. I expect this thread to be around quite a while longer, and continually see the numbers rise.

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

Well it is going good...I just thought that I might give it a little bump. Also there are nearly 40 people who have 1 or fewer posts...I hope that some of those people will fill out this poll....I NEED to know

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

I thought that there might be some new people viewing this board this weekend so I thought that I would give my thread a bump...I really would like to see more participation in the poll atleast...I really do not care about the thread anymore but would really like to get some more info on the sets....I mean we have not accounted for all the sets in the inventory yet. There are nearly 100 registered forumites at this point...c'mon fill out the poll....pretty please...now I am groveling...this is sad...anyway fill out the poll....bump....

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.

Post by mrwoogieman »

I DON'T have a complete set of the regular Valiant issues. I am missing the Deathmate Preview Comic Defense logo edition and x-o/iron man (I have one but not both, and I forget which one I have).

I am also missing the Predator/Magnus TPB, x-o 1/2 gold, Unity Diamond TPB's 1 and 2.

Once I have these issues, I will consider my valiant collection complete (I have all the other golds already, and I am not bothering with the VVSS editions).
:hm:

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

DawgPhan wrote:I thought that there might be some new people viewing this board this weekend so I thought that I would give my thread a bump...I really would like to see more participation in the poll atleast...I really do not care about the thread anymore but would really like to get some more info on the sets....I mean we have not accounted for all the sets in the inventory yet. There are nearly 100 registered forumites at this point...c'mon fill out the poll....pretty please...now I am groveling...this is sad...anyway fill out the poll....bump....
I am trying but it only lets me vote one time. :twisted:

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

Well it looks like this thread has died and we only got 34 replies....I was closer than I thought that it would be, but I thought that we would get a much higher number of people voting...oh well I guess 1 in 3 voting is not that bad...just thought that I would give it one last bump before the weekend so everyone who has not answered the poll could get one more chance before it falls into topic oblivion...thanks for playing...