How will Valiant handle the outrage culture?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

If someone says something that can be interpreted as offensive on the V movie press junket and the storm of Twitters rise. Creator or actor or whatever, will Dinesh try to force/ask for a fake apology?

I don't recall smaller publishers caving to outrage culture unlike Marvel and DC.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
Re: How will Valiant handle the outrage culture?

Post by Blood of Heroes »

I'm offended by this post.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

What if Dino fashions an effigy representing social media and uses what he learned from Stan Lee to impregnate it?
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

This is a really good question. So far they have handled controversies on a micro level ... it seems like they don't say much in the form of public announcements but will often respond personally (even Dino) when addressed. If they get any bigger, they will certainly get caught up in the internet outrage at some point.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

lorddunlow wrote:What if Dino fashions an effigy representing social media and uses what he learned from Stan Lee to impregnate it?
Stan Lee *SQUEE* a piñata once and gold coins shot out of its *SQUEE*.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Any press is good press when you are VEI right now. Whether it's suing Kirkman over Outcast or relaunching Q&W without Priest and Bright or a flame war between Rib Liefeld and VFans . At this point a social media controversy would just draw more attention and visibility to VEI.

Dino can make any statement he wants but anything he says will never carry as much weight as a Hollywood actor or director or someone of the caliber of Stan Lee. At least not for some time. So doing so would be basically pointless.

It's more likely if something happened that the person responsible'a representation or the studio would push for and force an apology.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

i hate this "outrage culture" and lose respect for the companies/ people who cave to it. grow a back bone.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

ilzuccone wrote:i hate this "outrage culture" and lose respect for the companies/ people who cave to it. grow a back bone.
Same. Unless you're Donald Trump. Then go dig a hole and die in it...

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

:lol:

Blood of Heroes

Post by Blood of Heroes »

:lol:

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

I think the notion that there is such a thing as "outrage culture" is a little ridiculous. What I saw in recent controversies (the Joker/Batgirl cover, the Manara Spider-woman cover, the Teen Titans cover, etc.) was a person or number of people pointing out that content was inappropriate, demeaning, etc., but not outrage. That is, the reaction was not an emotional one, but rather a critical one. Sure, you can probably find examples of those that did express their opinion in emotional terms, but for the most part those were not the voices that were being given the most attention. Yet the response to the criticism (ironically) always seems to be a more emotional response that dismisses the criticism over what is perceived to be an emotional response.

Another thing: indicating that something is offensive is not the same thing as claiming that one is offended by it. The former is a critical comment (that the thing in question is likely to be interpreted as something meant to cause offense, and is therefore inappropriate), while the latter can be more emotional.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Probably worth noting here: I think there will need to be some serious reworking for the movies to the events between Pete and Kris. It's not going to work to have your protagonist for the first movie only deal with what was at least metaphorically but possibly actual rape only through his own guilt. Assuming, of course, that the movies follow the basic storylines of the comic arcs.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

BugsySig wrote:Any press is good press when you are VEI right now. Whether it's suing Kirkman over Outcast or relaunching Q&W without Priest and Bright or a flame war between Rib Liefeld and VFans . At this point a social media controversy would just draw more attention and visibility to VEI.

Dino can make any statement he wants but anything he says will never carry as much weight as a Hollywood actor or director or someone of the caliber of Stan Lee. At least not for some time. So doing so would be basically pointless.

It's more likely if something happened that the person responsible'a representation or the studio would push for and force an apology.
I am not sure who will be in charge in case the Outrage SWAT attacks. I doubt the Chinese investors have the cultural know how how how to deal with it, i think the crisis room will have either the V folks or the Sony folks+a pr person from the offender if he/she has a pr person.

Thomas
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda

Post by Thomas »

People were already outraged by the design of Rai. Anyone remember that?
http://thenerdsofcolor.org/2014/02/14/j ... reativity/

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

Thomas wrote:People were already outraged by the design of Rai. Anyone remember that?
Well, I wasn't outraged. Then I read the article. Now I'm outraged. Completely outraged. But, fwiw, I'm looking forward to Nazi X-O, although I thought Acclaim already did that. This is bad sarcasm, so I'll stop. Just working on post count instead of working on occupation.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Thomas wrote:People were already outraged by the design of Rai. Anyone remember that?
Again, that article doesn't suggest outrage. It suggests an opinion that the design is inappropriate and presents a case as to why (regardless of whether one agrees with the case being made).

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

You seem a little outraged that we are accusing the Internet of outrage.

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

I think everyone just needs to take a deep breath before this gets out of hand.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]

Post by depluto »

Hehehe ... JK

But I see your point. Maybe what we mean is the way the world will zero in on something wrong while ignoring everything else that is wrong with the world. Like the dentist who shot the lion and is definitely breaking with some outrage. I'm sure the day he shot that lion there were thousands and thousands of people doing worse things, but everyone zeroed in on him (and his dazzling smile).

Eventually Valiant is going to do something that rallies and *SQUEE* off the mob. Hopefully not kill any lions or something like that.

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

kjjohanson wrote:I think the notion that there is such a thing as "outrage culture" is a little ridiculous. What I saw in recent controversies (the Joker/Batgirl cover, the Manara Spider-woman cover, the Teen Titans cover, etc.) was a person or number of people pointing out that content was inappropriate, demeaning, etc., but not outrage. That is, the reaction was not an emotional one, but rather a critical one. Sure, you can probably find examples of those that did express their opinion in emotional terms, but for the most part those were not the voices that were being given the most attention. Yet the response to the criticism (ironically) always seems to be a more emotional response that dismisses the criticism over what is perceived to be an emotional response.

Another thing: indicating that something is offensive is not the same thing as claiming that one is offended by it. The former is a critical comment (that the thing in question is likely to be interpreted as something meant to cause offense, and is therefore inappropriate), while the latter can be more emotional.
Batgirl cover was a variant. I would not object to a variant that shows my political idol giving a oral sex to a Klansmen. It's a variant, so was the Manara cover. Why care about it?

possumgrease

Post by possumgrease »

Forget lions. I'm personally offended that VEI trademarked dinosaur hunter. That's an endangered genus (or whatever) if I've ever seen one. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

depluto wrote:Hehehe ... JK

But I see your point. Maybe what we mean is the way the world will zero in on something wrong while ignoring everything else that is wrong with the world. Like the dentist who shot the lion and is definitely breaking with some outrage. I'm sure the day he shot that lion there were thousands and thousands of people doing worse things, but everyone zeroed in on him (and his dazzling smile).

Eventually Valiant is going to do something that rallies and *SQUEE* off the mob. Hopefully not kill any lions or something like that.
One of my friends brought up that point on Facebook. His comment:
I understand the outrage about Cecil the Lion, but why are we surprised? Big game hunting has been a sport for over 100 years. Where's the outrage in regards to there being only 4 white rhinos alive... In the entire world?!? Where's the outrage with all the whales, dolphins, Sharks, being slaughtered on a daily basis? All the poaching in Africa. There's plenty to be outraged about aside from a lion being killed. I'm with you, I find this all deplorable, but there's more going on than just 1 lion.
My response to that:
[P]eople tend to respond more to a story than to statistics. A story can move you emotionally, and that can prompt one to speak out. Statistics cause most people's eyes to glaze over.
Similarly, I think when something pops up that's a good example of what it is that you object to, it makes sense to point it out when it's topically, because people will engage the topic more when it's current that when it's a matter of history. Look at what happened in South Carolina with the Confederate flag (even though gun control would have been a more important topic to focus on after the church shooting, IMO). Do you think, in the absence of that shooting, there would have been any movement in the effort to remove the flag?

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Another thing I should state is that I don't understand why people try to use diversion when a topic is being discussed. That is, why question why someone would try to call attention to a thing when you feel there are more important things worthy of discussing than the original topic, unless you're spending all of your free time on what you consider the most important topic humanity should be addressing. Since we're all posting on a forum for discussing comic books, I think we all recognize that we're not making the most productive use of all of our own time, so the argument that there are bigger evils is silly.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

Lady Oiorpata wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:I think the notion that there is such a thing as "outrage culture" is a little ridiculous. What I saw in recent controversies (the Joker/Batgirl cover, the Manara Spider-woman cover, the Teen Titans cover, etc.) was a person or number of people pointing out that content was inappropriate, demeaning, etc., but not outrage. That is, the reaction was not an emotional one, but rather a critical one. Sure, you can probably find examples of those that did express their opinion in emotional terms, but for the most part those were not the voices that were being given the most attention. Yet the response to the criticism (ironically) always seems to be a more emotional response that dismisses the criticism over what is perceived to be an emotional response.

Batgirl cover was a variant. I would not object to a variant that shows my political idol giving a oral sex to a Klansmen. It's a variant, so was the Manara cover. Why care about it?
I don't see why it should matter what type of cover it was. People saw (in the case of the Manara cover) an example of a big corporation choosing to publish a cover that objectified women, and called them out on contributing to a culture that is okay with that happening.

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

kjjohanson wrote:Since we're all posting on a forum for discussing comic books, I think we all recognize that we're not making the most productive use of all of our own time, so the argument that there are bigger evils is silly.
How dare you... :censored: