4001 AD X-O Manowar Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
4001 AD X-O Manowar Discussion

Post by Keith »

Gah! Too short, too short!!! Nice that it explains how/why the X-O Knight came to be, but it only raised more questions for me that are left unanswered.

How did Shanhara get caught? Is that even Shanhara, or is that Aric armor?
Where's Aric's daughter?
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Psiot X
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval
Re: 4001 AD X-O Manowar Discussion

Post by Psiot X »

I still get the vibe from Valiant that the future is a big sci fi Japanese Anime with a multinational cast and some western flavor. The art is good but serviceable and held upright by the color. I like the red text boxes. I was actually reminded of some older anime mecha toons.

To me that big bulky dome headed knight armor with big shoulder pads? It makes me want to call it a juggernaut. Seems like every nation built one. I liked that some nations colored their unit in the national flag colors. This left me surprised the US unit was colored like Aric's old armor rather than red, white, and blue. They were knights...

How did they get Aric's armor for test components?

Somehow, I love the idea of a hacking attack supported by a strange… energy being translating into the command center through machines connected to the net to wipe out the control staff and disable the knight armors. Was that the very first RAI?

Surely, Dawes did more.

Ugh… WAY too short. !SQUEE!

This needed to be a bigger story and I am not sure how I feel about it as a result. I liked the concepts but...

Edit: I am struggling with the words here. I think that it is I expected a tie in issue to be more complete, to answer more questions than it leaves me with. I am wondering why this wasn't a flashback contained in the bigger story too. It's not bad but it left me wanting...

Keith
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Psiot X wrote:Somehow, I love the idea of a hacking attack supported by a strange… energy being translating into the command center through machines connected to the net to wipe out the control staff and disable the knight armors. Was that the very first RAI?
AHHHHHHH <armor hunter> CHOOOOO!!

Psiot X wrote:Ugh… WAY too short. !SQUEE!

This needed to be a bigger story and I am not sure how I feel about it as a result. I liked the concepts but...

Edit: I am struggling with the words here. I think that it is I expected a tie in issue to be more complete, to answer more questions than it leaves me with. I am wondering why this wasn't a flashback contained in the bigger story too. It's not bad but it left me wanting...
Sad to say I agree. I think there would have been enough material here to cover a three issue mini-series. As a result, I'm a little concerned that I'll be feeling the same about the other 4001 AD one shots.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Brapbrap
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Raul Allen

Post by Brapbrap »

did NOT expect helix, i wonder why she's aligned with Father??

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Well, I guess if in one issue you have to tell the story of a giant warrior robot that never gets off the ground, that's about it.

Kinda thin. I liked the aging across the centuries at the end.

But you would think that with as little plot as it had, they could have squeezed in something to explain who Helix is to new readers.

And Father just swatted them away like flies. I wonder what the story is with Shanhara being back on Earth after Aric released her when he passed on.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

I had no complaints till I read here. I really liked it and ya it just explain why there was a giant unused mech. So are we to expect helix got out when gingr died? Wouldn't it be neet if Dysart finished off Imperium with Harada moving back to Japan to come up with a new plan since his plan failed. His new plan is to start father with livewire help maybe even helix. kinda interesting Rai goes all digital through new Japan and helix can do that too perhaps live wire takes helices powers or something. Cool
I Miss the good old days.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

Keith wrote:Gah! Too short, too short!!!
+1 Nothing happened. :?
#StayValiant

Psiot X
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval

Post by Psiot X »

I am now wondering if this is Helix as we know or father modified strange Helix?

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue (& Ninjak #15, & A+A #3), please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr64/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sven the Returned
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: V-Diddy
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Sven the Returned »

Am i the only one who felt the art was a bit bland but like everything else?

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Lady Oiorpata wrote:Am i the only one who felt the art was a bit bland but like everything else?
+1

I agree. I'm not a fan of Henry's art. Not saying it's bad, it's just a bit pedestrian. I'm used to it on A&A and Timewalker but really don't enjoy it on XO or Rai (FCBD).

Have to disagree with everyone on the story, I really liked it for a one shot and it made 4001ad make more sense in terms of the XO armour and why it was in the cave.

3.75/5 :thumb:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: it made 4001ad make more sense in terms of the XO armour and why it was in the cave.
No doubt, it filled a backstory gap that required filling.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

grendeljd wrote:If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue (& Ninjak #15, & A+A #3), please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr64/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Listening now. I'm always amazed at how much more depth and understanding I can glean by listening to three other Valiant nuts dissect each issue. Many thanks!

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

jmatt wrote:
grendeljd wrote:If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue (& Ninjak #15, & A+A #3), please follow the link;

Listening now. I'm always amazed at how much more depth and understanding I can glean by listening to three other Valiant nuts dissect each issue. Many thanks!
+1

Podcasts like OTV definitely enhance the reading experience. Very different to way back in the mid/late 90's when I didn't know there were other humans who still actually read Valiant nerve undo gear their crazy theories!

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

Slightly disappointed.

The story itself was decent, rather short. Maybe it was just me though but the impression I got from 4001 #1 was that these X-O Knights were feared and held in awe either from what they accomplished or from the destruction they unleashed.

Here though, they did nothing except fly up to get ripped to shreds. Some lost potential there I think in that 9 different countries created X-O mechs so I have to wonder if they were all the exact same or did each have their own special capabilities or focus? (And the other 8 countries in question make for an interesting list. It almost looks like a listing of nuclear powers here, even with Iran being in the hunt these days supposedly)

And yes, some background info on Helix for any new readers would have been nice. Otherwise, the cool surprise of Father using an Armor Hunter to take down armors is overlooked.

As it relates to this particular mech, good story. But I feel like that it could've been more.

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

String wrote:Slightly disappointed.

The story itself was decent, rather short. Maybe it was just me though but the impression I got from 4001 #1 was that these X-O Knights were feared and held in awe either from what they accomplished or from the destruction they unleashed.

Here though, they did nothing except fly up to get ripped to shreds. Some lost potential there I think in that 9 different countries created X-O mechs so I have to wonder if they were all the exact same or did each have their own special capabilities or focus? (And the other 8 countries in question make for an interesting list. It almost looks like a listing of nuclear powers here, even with Iran being in the hunt these days supposedly)

And yes, some background info on Helix for any new readers would have been nice. Otherwise, the cool surprise of Father using an Armor Hunter to take down armors is overlooked.

As it relates to this particular mech, good story. But I feel like that it could've been more.
+1
#StayValiant

QUARTZ

Post by QUARTZ »

It was thin, but I liked it more than the main 4001 title. It presents many questions though, hoping all the dots connect when they go back and map out the timeline for these characters years from now.

Joshua
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot 1
Favorite character: Probably Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Ryp

Post by Joshua »

I loved tbe art. I disliked the story. Very anti-climactic to me. Great to see Helix but if you were a new reader, you have no idea who it is since they didn't bother putting a name anywhere.

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

Wow. what kind of firepower does Father have? :o

I actually really enjoyed this.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Big Red wrote:Wow. what kind of firepower does Father have? :o

I actually really enjoyed this.
I missed it the first time I read the book, but later picked up on the fact that Helix must have screwed with all the giant XO's, not just the American one. That enabled Father to destroy them all relatively easily...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;