Divinity III #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
Divinity III #1 Discussion

Post by Keith »

Great start, love the into to the Stalinverse! That timeline at the beginning was very cool, and already makes me want to see this world explored further than what I assume we'll see in the series and one-shots.

Only complaint was that the end of the issue was pretty abrupt.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really
Re: Divinity III #1 Discussion

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

Would you all agree this pretty much wipes out Toyo Harada from being involved at all in the Stallinverse?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Moose

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:Image

Would you all agree this pretty much wipes out Toyo Harada from being involved at all in the Stallinverse?
Interesting... He claimed to have been born activated but he was at Hiroshima in 1945, which activated his powers. If nothing happened at Hiroshima in 1945, then he would possibly be unactivated.

Is Peter the only psiot? :hm:

Where's Bleeding Monk? :hm: :hm:

Is Peter the key to ending the Stalinverse, finally making him the Great Destroyer that the Bleeding Monk predicted? :hm: :hm: :hm:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Bloodshot USA #3, and Harbinger:Renegade #2], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr96/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

grendeljd wrote:If anyone would like to hear our OTV:VCR podcast discussing/reviewing this issue [and Bloodshot USA #3, and Harbinger:Renegade #2], please follow the link;

http://onlythevaliant.com/episodes/vcr96/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to any who listen in :thumb:
Korrection, Komrad - this was the latest episode of OTV:VKR - the Valiant Komiks Review.

I wasn't in on this episode, but the guys had fun running with the Stalinverse theme this week, even down to playing with the intro/outro sound. They had a good chat too - I know this sounds biased since I'm part of the show, but I'm gonna go ahead & recommend giving a listen this week!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Great opening salvo. I'm keen to learn how this little microcosm was brought into existence in the first place... and how it is that Colin sidestepped the change and remains a mind apart.

Shadowman appearing from the staff as a genie (djinn) was way cool.

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

jmatt wrote:Great opening salvo. I'm keen to learn how this little microcosm was brought into existence in the first place... and how it is that Colin sidestepped the change and remains a mind apart.

I think if Ninjak was in Deadside at the end of Divinity II, he might be unaffected. Perhaps Eternal Warrior is also unaffected since he has been dead. For that matter, Archer & Armstrong might have been in the satchel. :hm:

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Wasent most of Unity and ginger in orbit. Including ninjak
I Miss the good old days.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Wasent that Pete who told everyone to go drown in the water.

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

Did anyone notice the black guy on the first few pages looked exactly like the guy from Divinity 1. I'll have to do some research and I'll post it on Facebook.

ironherc
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by ironherc »

First issue of valiant I've ever picked up (I read from trades) and i gotta say it's a nice introduction, stalinverse deserve it's one shots by the simple fact that i really want to see how this world is in a broader way. I was wondering what happened to Peter and if he was going to be either part of the renegades or a russian agent, and he ended up much worse than i thought. I can't wait to see ninjak try to fix this, obviously Shadowman will join him since X-O has him pretty much under his control.
greg wrote:
TheeBaldMoose wrote:Image

Interesting... He claimed to have been born activated but he was at Hiroshima in 1945, which activated his powers. If nothing happened at Hiroshima in 1945, then he would possibly be unactivated.

Is Peter the only psiot? :hm:

Where's Bleeding Monk? :hm: :hm:

Is Peter the key to ending the Stalinverse, finally making him the Great Destroyer that the Bleeding Monk predicted? :hm: :hm: :hm:

Harada could still be active who knows, I'm sure peter will play part but in ending it? I'm sure Divinity will fix it.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

greg wrote:
jmatt wrote:Great opening salvo. I'm keen to learn how this little microcosm was brought into existence in the first place... and how it is that Colin sidestepped the change and remains a mind apart.

I think if Ninjak was in Deadside at the end of Divinity II, he might be unaffected. Perhaps Eternal Warrior is also unaffected since he has been dead. For that matter, Archer & Armstrong might have been in the satchel. :hm:
Good points, all. Now all we need is some kind of idea of when and how this is all taking place. This could be a dream universe in Kazmir's head, for all we know.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

jmatt wrote:
greg wrote:

Good points, all. Now all we need is some kind of idea of when and how this is all taking place. This could be a dream universe in Kazmir's head, for all we know.
Yea, he's pretty *SQUEE*.... http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=49171" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
#StayValiant

Watchtower
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Watchtower »

greg wrote:

Let's be real, this is Colin King as written by Matt Kindt. The dude managed to stave off a magic parasite and thus see his own future by meditating really hard. Dude probably made and gave himself an immunity to temporal shenanigans. :lol:

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Watchtower wrote:
greg wrote:

Let's be real, this is Colin King as written by Matt Kindt. The dude managed to stave off a magic parasite and thus see his own future by meditating really hard. Dude probably made and gave himself an immunity to temporal shenanigans. :lol:

As much as you're taking a pot-shot at Kindts love affair with Ninjak, you raise a good question in my mind. He has added a lot of supernatural layers to our beloved high-tech, Batman-archetyped super-spy-ninja... and for the most part I like it.

But there are still some unresolved elements of his whole involvement with the Shadow Seven & Master Darque that I'm looking forward to seeing addressed. Just how strong is his connection to the dead side & the supernatural world? How much mystical power can he tap into? Does he actually remember everything that happened to him clearly from his infiltration of the Shadow Seven? Neville still seems to be affected by a deliberate memory loss inflicted on him...

Hopefully we'll see some major revelations in the new upcoming Ninjak story arc, if his role in Divinity III doesn't reveal anything new.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

Awesome issue and HILARIOUS VKR episode gentlemen!!!
The "Unity Suite" ... in progress ...

nonplayer

Post by nonplayer »

If valiant does a whole bunch of stuff like let's say a whole series and in the end says it's all fake or not real cannon I'm out. Like a new Harbinger run or xo run.

Dallow Spicer1
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Really enjoyed the start to this latest Divinity series, loved the Stalinverse timeline laying out this version of history. Looking forward to issue #2!

4.5/5 :clap:

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

Outstanding.

I loved how Komandar Bloodshot stepped on the trip wire on purpose.

Can't wait for more of him and Shadowman.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

If I had to bet right now, I think this will be the BEST event we have seen so far. My only complaint is that I think that Valiant should have made this the universe for the entire line while it lasts. It's weird to read Bloodshot USA and this in the same month. Minor peeve, but still.
Now, this issue. I LOVED ALL OF IT. The new timeline was a perfect "Welcome to Stalinverse" greeting card. Loved Peter. Komandar Bloodshot is one of the coolest things ever. Ninjak being the guy who remembers it all and is destroying the system as an insider gave me a bit of "I've seen this before" (Morrison's "Rock of Ages" Batman for a "similar" character arc) but, honestly, I was so engrossed in the read that I gave it a pass. I, again, LOVED ALL OF IT.
Jack being Aric's Deadside b**** was just "hilarious" and awesome. I did not find it was disrespectful to Jack, and Shadowman is my fav Valiant character. I will devour his stand-alone issue.

I hope it develops and ends as well as it started- I really, really LOVED this issue.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo