How do you store your Valiants?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Sect
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
How do you store your Valiants?

Post by Sect »

Hello guys, I'm looking to get some ideas or feedback here.

I'm guess most of you have them in long boxes. I do too, but I feel that the protection is somewhat lacking. Sometimes I feel that a comic may get caught up and pulled under and become bent (especially the first or last ones). Because of this, I want to be able to have more protection for them.

I was thinking of a top loader type of plastic to put in for select comics. Granted, I know that the Valiants are not worth that much in the grand scheme of things but to me, they are since they hold nostalgic value.

Unfortunately, the current long boxes do not have the width to fit in these top loaders. So what do you guys do?

Also, what about the VVSS comics? They come with this flimsy plastic "bag" Do you guys keep it since it has valiant logo on it and technically it is part of the product. But these also do not fit in...

feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

burlap sac at the bottom of the ocean.

~The Unblessed Soul

justin
Banned for stealing from his friends

Post by justin »

I have all of my comics now in short boxes. After moving over 120 long boxes 600 miles in a seperate moving truck, I had to do something different. I have all the boxes along two walls in a spare bedroom and in a closet. I have them off of the floor now and no more than 3 boxes high. I started using shelving units and those seem the best for me.

As for the VVSS bags, I rebag them in E. Gerber bags and boards and keep the Valiant VVSS bag along the side of the books in the respective box.

-j
This user has been banned for using this website to steal from people who were his friends.

whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Magnus

Post by whetteon »

Same thing as architect. I have 4 short boxes of Valiant books all placed into a Silver Age bag with a Silver Age backing (new comic bags are too tight and pinch the corners). The extra sleeves I place in a seperate little box that stores things comic related like extra mailing cardboard, comic bags and wall display cases. They all fight nice and neatly on their sides with plenty of room between them.
The Site for Tracking Collectible Comic Trends on Ebay
http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.

Post by mrwoogieman »

My entire VALIANT/Acclaim collection takes up four long boxes and a small box for the oversized stuff and extras/promo items.

Along with that, I also have a short box of Defiant/Broadway as well.

I also have over a short box of duplicate Valiant/Acclaims which I will sell at some point.

I'm trying to get one of each comic, no duplicates.
:hm:

tcolli
Forget Col Sanders - I'm the Chicken Man
Forget Col Sanders - I'm the Chicken Man

Post by tcolli »

I am really anal about my valiant comics. I have a shelving unit and keep them in long boxes. There are really two different types of long boxes, thin and high or wide and shorter. Find the wider and the top loaders should work. I go the extra mile and place all my Valiants in Ultra Pro Comic Stor Rigid sheets (you know, the rigid ones with the flap) and some of the gold books in screw down hard plastic I found years ago that have since been impossible to find. Nothing is too good for my Valiant books...NOTHING. I do the same for my Silver Age Batman first appearance books as well.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

mrwoogieman wrote:My entire VALIANT/Acclaim collection takes up four long boxes and a small box for the oversized stuff and extras/promo items.

Along with that, I also have a short box of Defiant/Broadway as well.

I also have over a short box of duplicate Valiant/Acclaims which I will sell at some point.

I'm trying to get one of each comic, no duplicates.
That's my goal too. I haven't decided what I'm gonna do with the extras, but I store them apart from my main collection.

And I know most of you guys like the silver bags/boards, but I have mine in current. They're a little more snug, but they just look better to me that way. Corner damage be damned! Not that I've noticed any.

mrwoogieman

Post by mrwoogieman »

I'm a Silver bag/board guy. I won't put an issue back in the box without looking around the edges of the book to make sure I see board peeking out from behind the comic on all sides. Anal behavior? Sure, just like any good collector.

Like I told the guy when I was standing in his garage looking at his 14,000 comics, some of which were water damaged, all of which were unsorted: There's a difference between a collector, and an amasser, and you are an amasser.

He punched me in the face for calling him an *SQUEE*! No, just kidding, but I didn't buy his assemblage of books (not a collection).

DJSpecter
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by DJSpecter »

Unblessed wrote:burlap sac at the bottom of the ocean.

~The Unblessed Soul
:thumb:

I gave up on boxes years ago... my specials and #1s are in bags... the regulars take up a single shelf in my closet.

Sect

Post by Sect »

my specials and #1s are in bags
bags as in board and bags or bags as in plastic shopping bags?

tssgery
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by tssgery »

I keep all my comics in short boxes, alphabetized. Bagged and boarded in Silver Age sized supplies...

I'm considering seperating my Valiants out into their own boxes, but they're all mixed in with other publishers right now.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: How do you store your Valiants?

Post by magnusr »

Sect wrote:Hello guys, I'm looking to get some ideas or feedback here.
Probably a rather bad method, but it is practical for me - I have them in magazine folders in book shelves.

/Magnus

PS, the VVSS sleeves are really bad for the comics, makes the splines split.

DJSpecter
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by DJSpecter »

Sect wrote:
my specials and #1s are in bags
bags as in board and bags or bags as in plastic shopping bags?
:lol: nono, bags and boards.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

I have two long boxes and four shorts, plus a plastic box for slabs. Silver age boards and bags on all...I'm gonna switch to all short boxes relatively soon as I am running short on space...I also have my CSN's, Wizards, Val. Voices and Previews in with that stuff...
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Sect

Post by Sect »

how much are the silver age baggies and where can I get some?

I've never given them much thought, I just get my from this local place $6 for 100 bags and boards. Granted, they aren't the highest quality but I always thought they would suffice.

FOr the VVSS sounds like everyone is just taking them out and putting them aside

thanks for the feedback so far

mrwoogieman

Post by mrwoogieman »

My local shop charges $4 for 100 SA bags and $7 for 100 SA boards.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

I stopped buying long boxes and switched to short ones quite a while back. The long ones were just too heavy and awkward to deal with.

cinlach@aol.com
kneel before zod! snoochie boochies!!
kneel before zod! snoochie boochies!!
Valiant fan since: From the beginning...
Favorite character: Wow, who can pick just one?
Favorite writer: FVL FTW!

Post by cinlach@aol.com »

i also switched to short boxes...i've got all my valiant in their own boxes apart from everything else...i've even got plastic title dividers between each title.

as for bags and boards, i'm kinda neutral to them...i've found that all i have to do is be careful with my stuff and i don't need them. if i buy a book that's bagged and boarded then i leave it that way, depending on whether or not i can get the damn thing open...i get WAY to many bagged and boarded books that when i try to open them the tape destroys the bag.

i've got 3 metal racks that i keep my short boxes on...works well for me.
WWSLJD, MF?

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

I'm a silver age bag and board user as well. The books that I treasure most, I use mylar and keep in short boxes. I also like to use top-loaders for some books for extra protection. A silver age bag and board fits easily into a top loader. Magazine size boxes will fit a bunch of top loaders.

Whatever you do, store your books upright. If you stack them in plastic bags or whatever and the the stacks are a little off, you end up with some nasty book length bends on the books that are near the bottom.

dickybendy
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by dickybendy »

Seems to be a pattern forming here, I too use silver age B+B, and am moving from long to short boxes.

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

I have 8 long boxes on a shelf next to my desk that are pretty much 75-80% pre Unity VALIANT. I have two short boxes that have my special VALIANT stuff such as signed books, VVSS, VcVSS's, Gold Books, etc.
I have always used modern boards and bags, never really had a problem or saw the need to change although I am sure some of you guys could give me some compelling reasons as to why I should.

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors
My posts are simmered in four flavors

Post by DawgPhan »

Heavy duty shelf in my office with short boxes...Current bags and boards..fairly simple...I like short boxes over long boxes now..I maybe have 15 short boxes or so on this one shelving unit with plenty of room for other stuff...long boxes are great for the POTF2 figures on the card though :thumb:

Sect

Post by Sect »

I have 8 long boxes on a shelf next to my desk that are pretty much 75-80% pre Unity VALIANT.
Consider 50 issues make of the preunity collection I would say that is a lot of pre Unity comics there!

WOW

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

mine are all in the backseat of my car. some are in bags, a few have boards. i try to pile them up by title, but it gets difficult. the harbingers and other really chocie ones are way down on the bottom so that when my kids climb back there with muddy shoes and stuff they don't get ruined. i rarely let the kids eat back there either, and i don't smoke. i'm thinking about selling my collection. it's all strict NM. i'm hoping for only about 87% of guide.

pm me if interested.

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

dave wrote:mine are all in the backseat of my car. some are in bags, a few have boards. i try to pile them up by title, but it gets difficult. the harbingers and other really chocie ones are way down on the bottom so that when my kids climb back there with muddy shoes and stuff they don't get ruined. i rarely let the kids eat back there either, and i don't smoke. i'm thinking about selling my collection. it's all strict NM. i'm hoping for only about 87% of guide.

pm me if interested.
Now that's a :funnypost: !