So whats the deal with PGX and CGG?

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

cinlach@aol.com
kneel before zod! snoochie boochies!!
Valiant fan since: From the beginning...
Favorite character: Wow, who can pick just one?
Favorite writer: FVL FTW!
So whats the deal with PGX and CGG?

Post by cinlach@aol.com »

i noticed theres a couple of 9.8 pgx/cgg books on ebay that no one seems to give a *SQUEE* about...why is that?

there was a 9.8 pgx magnus #1 that didn't sell at the opening bid of $45 and it got me to wondering.

this is a thought from another thread regarding "low" grade cgc books, and how i'm able to get some good deals to fill out my collection.

anyone have any info on these peeps? i'm seeing some decent stuff out there.
WWSLJD, MF?

Peter Parker
No Longer A Registered User

Post by Peter Parker »

Where would you like me to start :?

If I was to elucidate you regarding CGG/PGA/PGX...and all the "troubling" circumstances surrounding that company (which changed its name THREE times within a year)

i'd have people slamming me for being a "CGC shill" or "a CGC apostal" or a "CGC *SQUEE* kisser" :x

The bottom line here is this; we ALL should want LEGITIMATE competition for CGC, it would only benefit the consumer. However, if one does their due dilligence, and homework researching the "other guys" (lets not forget about ACE grading service :roll: ) one will see the others are dealing in VERY dubious activities to say the least :x

I could go into a MOUNTAIN of FACTS that I know about these companies, but why bother? i'm tired of being accused of a bias opinion :!:
"Leisure, is the mother of philosophy"

Thomas Hobbes

cinlach@aol.com

PM me the crib notes then...lol

call it my need to know... :D

thanks pete!
WWSLJD, MF?

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors
Re: So whats the deal with PGX and CGG?

Post by DawgPhan »

cinlach@aol.com wrote:i noticed theres a couple of 9.8 pgx/cgg books on ebay that no one seems to give a *SKREE* about...why is that?

there was a 9.8 pgx magnus #1 that didn't sell at the opening bid of $45 and it got me to wondering.

this is a thought from another thread regarding "low" grade cgc books, and how i'm able to get some good deals to fill out my collection.

With PGX at lot of it depends on the seller...If it is tdcomixncardz or christinacollectibles I would stay about. As for their grading, the word on the street is that they are a little tougher on moderns than cgc. I would not buy anything from them that is older that the 90's...Their restoration check is not really up to snuff. I also think that their grading gets worse and worse the lower you go down the scale. Everyone can grade a 10.0(If there is a flaw then it isnt a 10.0) not everyone can tell the difference between a 6.0 and 6.5...I would think that you could make some nice additions to your collection with pgx books...especially on the valiants.. :thumb:

whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Magnus

Post by whetteon »

I take the mid ground between the two companies. I just bought an Uncanny X-Men #138 9.2 pgx for $16. If cgc graded it that $16 would equal $50 and there is the bonus that the book MIGHT grade 9.4 if I were to resubmit it to cgc. HOWEVER, I have to be very careful with pgx books because of the history noted by both Peter and Dawg. Bottom line, there are great deals to be had if your careful. Just like our attitude on 9.2's. You and I would buy 9.2's all day long because they are 50% cheaper and are near perfect. Good enough for us. Many on the board members would tell you that you should never buy ANYTHING below a 9.6. Its different strokes for different folks. I think this whole pgx/9.2 /PLoD/GLoD thing is so under valued that we will look back 10 years from now and cry that we didn't buy more. :wink:
The Site for Tracking Collectible Comic Trends on Ebay
http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/

Peter Parker

Post by Peter Parker »

whetteon wrote:I take the mid ground between the two companies. I just bought an Uncanny X-Men #138 9.2 pgx for $16. If cgc graded it that $16 would equal $50 and there is the bonus that the book MIGHT grade 9.4 if I were to resubmit it to cgc. HOWEVER, I have to be very careful with pgx books because of the history noted by both Peter and Dawg. Bottom line, there are great deals to be had if your careful. Just like our attitude on 9.2's. You and I would buy 9.2's all day long because they are 50% cheaper and are near perfect. Good enough for us. Many on the board members would tell you that you should never buy ANYTHING below a 9.6. Its different strokes for different folks. I think this whole pgx/9.2 /PLoD/GLoD thing is so under valued that we will look back 10 years from now and cry that we didn't buy more. :wink:
With regards to Modern books, we ALL can grade Moderns fairly accurately, so buying PGX Modern books seems fine to me actually.

I do NOT agree with the propagada arguement, that PGX grades Moderns "tighter" than CGC...that's simply not true :!: For Golden Age, Silver Age, and Bronze Age i'd never buy a PGX book, but that's just me.

Ultimately, a grading company (like ANYother busniess model) boils down to legitimacy and performance. The questions simply is; what right do these other companies have to start a Comic Book grading service :? who are they? from where do they hail? what did they do before this? what experience gave THEM the skills to grade? ect....

always remember, buyer beware :hope:

Thomas Hobbes

whetteon

Post by whetteon »

Peter Parker wrote:
I do NOT agree with the propagada arguement, that PGX grades Moderns "tighter" than CGC...that's simply not true :!: For Golden Age, Silver Age, and Bronze Age i'd never buy a PGX book, but that's just me.

Any yet the CGC forums did 3 or 4 test with modern books and this statement held up. You can believe what you want but many CGC board members buy pgx with the intent to flip. Wish it wasn't so. :|

Peter Parker

Post by Peter Parker »

whetteon wrote:
Peter Parker wrote:

Any yet the CGC forums did 3 or 4 test with modern books and this statement held up. You can believe what you want but many CGC board members buy pgx with the intent to flip. Wish it wasn't so. :|
Opinions vary Whett...regardless of what members on the CGC boards write about this subject, I can only give you MY opinion from my own observations, and personal books :|

I stand by it, I don't think its so, but you may...god bless :thumb:

Thomas Hobbes

whetteon

Post by whetteon »

Dammit. You're beeing civil with me? :!: Where is the monkey poo we are suppose to fling at each other? Well screw you! If I can't get an argument going with Peter then I'm all washed up.

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

:wink: :P :littlesmile:

Shag
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by Shag »

CGC, DMX(whatever), JoeSchmoe or whoever is grading the book, I still won't pay over Overstreet for it. If it grades fairly well I'd take a look at the guide and bid below the actual grade price to save yourself from getting burned, but I like to read my comics so I buy from JoeSchmoes.

I don't have a single graded copy yet but I'm thinking about sending some in to see how good I am at grading and for an actual reference I can look at. I've heard they cost like 40 bucks round trip, though. I hope I go to Chicago this year and they have a booth set up. I think they were 20 at last years con.

cinlach@aol.com

i'm of a similiar opinion when it comes to grading services...i'm mainly looking at apparantly high grade books for very reasonable prices.

so far the pro graded books i've gotten are all premium books (gold logos, sendaways, stuff like that). i've actually only got 3 or 4 of them but i got them all really cheap.

i mainly looking to get books in good shape for below guide...and i've been lucky so far. :hope:
WWSLJD, MF?

soundoftheuniverse
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Re: So whats the deal with PGX and CGG?

Post by soundoftheuniverse »

cinlach@aol.com wrote:i noticed theres a couple of 9.8 pgx/cgg books on ebay that no one seems to give a *SKREE* about...why is that?

I also noticed that Unity Red. Really ugly photo makes it look like a 9.2 regardless of what the lable says.

They're still Valiants so regardless of the holder if it's CGC 9.8, CGG 9.8 or PGX 9.8 they're all darn nice and worth buying. The only question is what's a good price to pay?

I look at whatever the low sale price is on the CGC sales page and match it for PGX books in 9.8 that I want. If not then I bid slightly less.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

whetteon wrote:Dammit. You're beeing civil with me? :!: Where is the monkey poo we are suppose to fling at each other? Well screw you! If I can't get an argument going with Peter then I'm all washed up.

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

:wink: :P :littlesmile:
Call him a Hillary Clinton groupie.

I didn't say that! Whet said that!

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

I personally dont like cgc for a number of different reason, none of which have anything to do with grading comics...When sticking to moderns I think that PGX is great for grading comics. If you are buying them already slabbed they tend to sell for less that similar cgc books and if you submit the yourself, youa re looking at a much faster turnaround time and less cost for slabbing...

[rant]
Turnaround times are one of the things that I hate about cgc. Basically they lie to you every single day about the turnaround times. Especially this time of year when they do onsite grading at cons. They take ALL of the equipment to the cons, so guess how many books are being graded at cgc during con season, ZERO. So if you submit a book during the con season you are basically waiting behind every book that will be submited for onsite. You paid for their grading and slabbing time and now they are using that time, that you paid for, to slab someone else's book, who also paid for that time. Talk about not getting what you are paying for...Oh and I think that Steve talks out of his *SQUEE*..

[/rant]

That said...they are the best at resto detection and grading older comics :thumb:

Thecomicguys
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by Thecomicguys »

If you want the facts and the truth behind these negative things that are said about us please call us.

Daniel (PGX)

Shag

Post by Shag »

Do you have a number or website that you can post?

Chuck
Spartan s-p-i-r-i-t spirit, Go Spartans!

Post by Chuck »

Shag wrote:Do you have a number or website that you can post?
Here you go Shaq:

http://www.pgacomics.com/grading.html

Shag

Post by Shag »

Thanks for the site! Do your prices on the Services Page include shipping? If not, how much does it cost to ship the books with out insurance. I can figure the insurance out on my own from the post office cost.

cinlach@aol.com

i haven't heard anything negative about pgx or cgg whoever else is doing the submission grading business...i'm simply looking at the sales on ebay. it seemed odd to me that a cgc graded 9.8 sells briskly while a cgg/pgx 9.8 of the same book failed to garner even a single bid.

i was just scoping out some deals...as long as the book is in the shape promised i don't care if it's cgc, pgx, cgg, etc...
WWSLJD, MF?

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

cinlach@aol.com wrote:i haven't heard anything negative about pgx or cgg whoever else is doing the submission grading business...i'm simply looking at the sales on ebay. it seemed odd to me that a cgc graded 9.8 sells briskly while a cgg/pgx 9.8 of the same book failed to garner even a single bid.

i was just scoping out some deals...as long as the book is in the shape promised i don't care if it's cgc, pgx, cgg, etc...

well they do need to make up their minds on the name... :wink:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Peter Parker

Post by Peter Parker »

Ignorance, is forever bliss :roll: :!:

Thomas Hobbes

Thecomicguys

Post by Thecomicguys »

Shag wrote:Thanks for the site! Do your prices on the Services Page include shipping? If not, how much does it cost to ship the books with out insurance. I can figure the insurance out on my own from the post office cost.
S&H and insurance is separate from the grading cost per book. The S&H and insurance costs are noted on the submission form. We now have an interactive form.

Daniel

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

cinlach@aol.com wrote:i haven't heard anything negative about pgx or cgg whoever else is doing the submission grading business...i'm simply looking at the sales on ebay. it seemed odd to me that a cgc graded 9.8 sells briskly while a cgg/pgx 9.8 of the same book failed to garner even a single bid.

Btw, at least the PGX book I watched on eBay went about as high as the same CGC book usually goes.

/Magnus

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Peter Parker wrote:Ignorance, is forever bliss :roll: :!:
Ok folks, as Pete woudl say: you need to be informed. Here is the famous thread about CGG/PGA/PGX missing restoration on a couple of Silver Age Amazing Spider man.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sh ... art=1&vc=1

knowledge is power. :atomic: :thumb:

off topic:

on the same thread, check out a video giff of board member Rickdogg; it's next to last at the bottom:
http://boards.collectors-society.com/sh ... art=7&vc=1
:thumb:

Oh, our own Dawgphan also posted in the said thread too :thumb:

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

Chuck wrote:
Peter Parker wrote:Ignorance, is forever bliss :roll: :!:
Ok folks, as Pete woudl say: you need to be informed. Here is the famous thread about CGG/PGA/PGX missing restoration on a couple of Silver Age Amazing Spider man.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sh ... art=1&vc=1

knowledge is power. :atomic: :thumb:

off topic:

on the same thread, check out a video giff of board member Rickdogg; it's next to last at the bottom:
http://boards.collectors-society.com/sh ... art=7&vc=1
:thumb:

Oh, our own Dawgphan also posted in the said thread too :thumb:
You should also post the thread were CGC has missed restoration and missing pages....both companies make mistakes...it is how they deal with them that is really in question.

Oh and the worst thing that CGG has done is deal with our very own ryostar...