Taddeo article on IGN

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Taddeo article on IGN

Post by Ryan »

Taddeo Gets Shadow Man, X-O Manowar
Acclaim's old Valiant license has an owner again.
by Jeremy Dunham

April 20, 2005 - Former marketing manager and Tekno Comics guy John Taddeo successfully won an auction last week that granted him the comic book assets belonging to the now-defunct Acclaim Entertainment. Originally purchased from Voyager Communications in 1994, the Valiant Comics license was absorbed into Acclaim for use in videogames and future funny books.

As for which characters were successfully acquired by Taddeo, they include all the original Valiant Comics properties -- Archer and Armstrong, Armorines, Bad Eggs, Bloodshot, Dr. Mirage, Eternal Warrior, Harbinger, Ninjak, Quantum, Rai, Shadow Man, Woody, and X-O Manowar. Popular characters such as Magnus, Turok, and Solar, on the other hand, were not a part of the deal since they were under license by Western Publishing Company.

There is one problem for Taddeo regarding his new purchases, however, and it revolves around twelve outstanding Valiant trademarks that have been applied for by a New Jersey company calling itself Valiant Intellectual Properties. Apparently, the company took advantage of a trademark expiration allowed by Acclaim in August of 2004 by applying for the TM rights to guys like Harbinger, Eternal Warrior, and Bloodshot a few weeks ago. The group's request has not yet been approved, and it's possible that if it's granted that Taddeo would not be able to publish or control any of the titles in question.

Before the auction Taddeo was quoted as saying "If I am the high bidder on Valiant, I will ask Jim Shooter and Bob Layton to work together again on a one shot or Limited Series." Taddeo's plans in the videogame arena (if any) were not discussed.

We'll keep you updated on any further comic or videogame-related developments.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/606/606202p1.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like they actually got everything right, pretty surprising for a big time site like IGN. Good stuff :thumb:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

So is this other group trying to pinch off a piece of the pie for cheap, or are they actually interested in doing some comics?

I want to see what JT plans for this stuff. I hate to see someone jabbing sticks into the spokes.

hillmanthe2nd

Post by hillmanthe2nd »

As I understand it, Valiant Intellectual Properties had a bid in for the character catalog at the Acclaim auction. Is that correct? If so, it looks to me like they are a smart group of people to have applied for the TM rights before the auction. I wonder who they are...hmmm.. :think:

Did JT always have interest in Valiant characters or did it just start after he lost out on his Crossgen bid? JT is a marketing guy so he knows how to generate a buzz with Valiant die hards but is he the guy who can run a comic company? I read some of the chat transcripts and sounded like he was telling people what they wanted to hear. I want Valiant comics to be brought back as much as anyone, especially my favs EW, A&A, and X-O, but am a bit skeptical of what will actually be done.

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

Thanks for posting the article.

Hmmm. I notice there's not a smidgen of information in there that WASN"T in the Newsrama articles and no sources are cited for the information. Me thinks the author read the stuff on Newsrama and used it in his article.

I'm still wondering if this legal "threat" from the Valiant Intellectual Properties is something real or just assumed on the part of the reporters. It's hard to tell if you haven't actually talked to anyone involved in the story :| .

I'm going to wait till the people involved in this start singing like jay birds to the press before I start stresing over VIP's legal "threat" to the character rights.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

I wonder how long this ordeal with the Valiant trademarks will go on?

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

Does anyone know who the principles of this VALIANT Intellectual Properties group are? I thought I heard a rumor or statement on the board that it was headed by a former VALIANT employee or creator.

Could it be another group formed by Massarsky?

What do you guys think?

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

I suppose anything is possible.

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

wrunow wrote:Does anyone know who the principles of this VALIANT Intellectual Properties group are? I thought I heard a rumor or statement on the board that it was headed by a former VALIANT employee or creator.

Could it be another group formed by Massarsky?

What do you guys think?
Not Massarsky. Not enough profit in it for him. Someone posted elsewhere that Christopher Preist said it was guys he knew. I'm at a loss too :? .

davidb
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by davidb »

Hmm... Guys that Christopher Priest knows, and I believe that he hinted that he'd worked with them. Could Fabian Nicieza be involved? He was the Acclaim EIC.

David B.
This post has been approved by the Harbinger Foundation.

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

Knightt_333 wrote:I am assembling a strike team as we speak... :x
Red Team, GO! RED TEAM GO!

~The Unblessed Soul

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

davidb wrote:Hmm... Guys that Christopher Priest knows, and I believe that he hinted that he'd worked with them. Could Fabian Nicieza be involved? He was the Acclaim EIC.

David B.
Yeah for 15 minutes :D . He would be a prime suspect as far as creators go (never heard of him having an attachment to the characters though). I have no idea what he's done in years. Of course for all we know it could be editors, marketing guys, managers, etc; not the sort of people we would hear a lot about.