Bloodshot News - Dinesh & Vin Diesel interview

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa
Bloodshot News - Dinesh & Vin Diesel interview

Post by The Chosen 1 »

https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/06/04 ... n-so-long/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.
Re: Bloodshot News - Dinesh & Vin Diesel interview

Post by Phantom »

thanks for posting that.
would have missed it.
:thumb:
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

I love this group... always such great info!

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

THis is actually an old video, about a year old I think. Note, my book in the background (middle right).

I'm really curious as to who owns the rest of that awesome stuff! Love that Brushed Metal!
Moose

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Thanks for linking, I hadn't seen that before. :thumb:

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

It's a good interview, but why does it have nothing to do with the article? "Outlander Star Sam Heughan Teases His Bloodshot Role"

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

greg wrote:It's a good interview, but why does it have nothing to do with the article? "Outlander Star Sam Heughan Teases His Bloodshot Role"
I'm still trying to figure out how Sam Heughan plays a Corporal Navy Seal, when Corporals are NOT in the Navy (they are Army or Marine Corps).

Also, even IF Corporals were in the Navy (which again they are not...), they are usually VERY junior in age and/or rank (like 20 years old with two years of service). Not to mention that IF a Marine actually became a SEAL (through some joint special program perhaps?), they would be VERY experienced as a Marine first (as in YEARS of service, FAR beyond that of any Corporal...).

The character needs to be a Navy Chief, Senior Chief, or Master Chief; OR a Lieutenant to make sense. Or scrap the SEAL thing all together and make Sam Heughan part of MARSOC as a Raider. Both work.

This is an EASY fix to make at this stage, and it makes sense to NOT take credibility away from the story or have YouTube channels pick it apart in the "Everything wrong with Bloodshot in 5 minutes" video that will be made no doubt.

Not trying to poke at the movie. I can't wait to see it. But this bugs me, and 100% WILL bug others.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
greg wrote:It's a good interview, but why does it have nothing to do with the article? "Outlander Star Sam Heughan Teases His Bloodshot Role"
I'm still trying to figure out how Sam Heughan plays a Corporal Navy Seal, when Corporals are NOT in the Navy (they are Army or Marine Corps).

Also, even IF Corporals were in the Navy (which again they are not...), they are usually VERY junior in age and/or rank (like 20 years old with two years of service). Not to mention that IF a Marine actually became a SEAL (through some joint special program perhaps?), they would be VERY experienced as a Marine first (as in YEARS of service, FAR beyond that of any Corporal...).

The character needs to be a Navy Chief, Senior Chief, or Master Chief; OR a Lieutenant to make sense. Or scrap the SEAL thing all together and make Sam Heughan part of MARSOC as a Raider. Both work.

This is an EASY fix to make at this stage, and it makes sense to NOT take credibility away from the story or have YouTube channels pick it apart in the "Everything wrong with Bloodshot in 5 minutes" video that will be made no doubt.

Not trying to poke at the movie. I can't wait to see it. But this bugs me, and 100% WILL bug others.
It’s true. Little things make a big difference.
Like my wife couldn’t stand that everything they did involving ballet on Cloak & Dagger was incorrect—from the positioning of their feet to the names of the positions to how they tied their ballet shoes. It’s not that hard to get that stuff right, especially if it’s going to play a big role in the story. Movies and tv shows are supposed to have researchers/fact checkers who make sure that sort of mistake doesn’t happen.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: XO Manowar

Post by Shadowman99 »

BugsySig wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:

It’s true. Little things make a big difference.
Like my wife couldn’t stand that everything they did involving ballet on Cloak & Dagger was incorrect—from the positioning of their feet to the names of the positions to how they tied their ballet shoes. It’s not that hard to get that stuff right, especially if it’s going to play a big role in the story. Movies and tv shows are supposed to have researchers/fact checkers who make sure that sort of mistake doesn’t happen.
View from the other side of the fence: a LOT of people, like myself, have no idea that this rank doesn't exist in the US navy, and therefore won't notice it, nevermind be in the least bit bothered by it.

No need to sweat this one.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Shadowman99 wrote: View from the other side of the fence: a LOT of people, like myself, have no idea that this rank doesn't exist in the US navy, and therefore won't notice it, nevermind be in the least bit bothered by it.

Understood to your view point; however, if this is the case, why even give the character a rank or military affiliation at all? Why write the script for him to be a Navy SEAL without making him a Navy SEAL in the first place?

Just ask or google the question.

SONY: “Hey, I want to make a character who is a Navy SEAL since that is the cool thing these days. Remember “13 Hours,” “Lone Survivor,” and “American Sniper?”. The character is in his late 20s early 30s. I’m thinking about him being a Corporal. What do you think?”

ADVISOR: “No man, Navy SEALs do not have Corporals, you are thinking of the Marine Corps. Also, unless you want this character to be a kid fresh out out of high school, You should make the guy a Chief or former Chief who now does contract work. That’s the way to go.”

SONY: “Thanks for the info man. We didn’t realize that that Navy SEALs were not Marines, but now that you mention it, well damn, it does sort of make sense. We’ll make the change ASAP, since we still have SEVEN months until release! Trying our best to do this right!”

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote: View from the other side of the fence: a LOT of people, like myself, have no idea that this rank doesn't exist in the US navy, and therefore won't notice it, nevermind be in the least bit bothered by it.

Understood to your view point; however, if this is the case, why even give the character a rank or military affiliation at all? Why write the script for him to be a Navy SEAL without making him a Navy SEAL in the first place?

Just ask or google the question.

SONY: “Hey, I want to make a character who is a Navy SEAL since that is the cool thing these days. Remember “13 Hours,” “Lone Survivor,” and “American Sniper?”. The character is in his late 20s early 30s. I’m thinking about him being a Corporal. What do you think?”

ADVISOR: “No man, Navy SEALs do not have Corporals, you are thinking of the Marine Corps. Also, unless you want this character to be a kid fresh out out of high school, You should make the guy a Chief or former Chief who now does contract work. That’s the way to go.”

SONY: “Thanks for the info man. We didn’t realize that that Navy SEALs were not Marines, but now that you mention it, well damn, it does sort of make sense. We’ll make the change ASAP, since we still have SEVEN months until release! Trying our best to do this right!”
Exactly this. Someone with your knowledge watching the movie might be led to believe this character is some sort of imposter who is not aware of military ranks, and might be led to believe this is a bigger part of the story which will be relevant later. a good researcher can prevent this sort of thing.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

You guys are right, it wouldn't have been difficult to fact check this early on in the writing process. It'll be a bit of a blunder if this makes it to the final cut.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

I do wish movies/TV writers/producers would do better research and fact checking, but there are so many details to fact check they are always going to get something wrong. I remember Doc Solar on here complaining one time about a run of wiring not being up to code in a book or something and being taken out of the fantasy. As a biologist and doctor, if I complained about every flub in a movie, I'd do nothing else. They very seldom get any of that stuff right. If it's a medical show and they get it wrong - that's unforgivable. If it's sci-fi and they get the science wrong *cough* Annihilation *cough* then it's bad. Otherwise, I just roll my eyes and get on with enjoying the story.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

lorddunlow wrote:I do wish movies/TV writers/producers would do better research and fact checking, but there are so many details to fact check they are always going to get something wrong. I remember Doc Solar on here complaining one time about a run of wiring not being up to code in a book or something and being taken out of the fantasy. As a biologist and doctor, if I complained about every flub in a movie, I'd do nothing else. They very seldom get any of that stuff right. If it's a medical show and they get it wrong - that's unforgivable. If it's sci-fi and they get the science wrong *cough* Annihilation *cough* then it's bad. Otherwise, I just roll my eyes and get on with enjoying the story.

I agree. Wiring in a comic would not even register with me. And when it comes to sci-fi and fantasy there has to be suspension of disbelief. But if it directly related to the plot, then that’s bad. I assume Bloodshot involves a lot of military personnel, jargon, equipment, etc. I can forgive some crazy sci-fi gun meant to scramble BS’s nanites, but they should at least get the ranks right. You wouldn’t call the highest army commander an Admiral or navy commander a General. Don’t call a Seal a commander.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

BugsySig wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:I do wish movies/TV writers/producers would do better research and fact checking, but there are so many details to fact check they are always going to get something wrong. I remember Doc Solar on here complaining one time about a run of wiring not being up to code in a book or something and being taken out of the fantasy. As a biologist and doctor, if I complained about every flub in a movie, I'd do nothing else. They very seldom get any of that stuff right. If it's a medical show and they get it wrong - that's unforgivable. If it's sci-fi and they get the science wrong *cough* Annihilation *cough* then it's bad. Otherwise, I just roll my eyes and get on with enjoying the story.

I agree. Wiring in a comic would not even register with me. And when it comes to sci-fi and fantasy there has to be suspension of disbelief. But if it directly related to the plot, then that’s bad. I assume Bloodshot involves a lot of military personnel, jargon, equipment, etc. I can forgive some crazy sci-fi gun meant to scramble BS’s nanites, but they should at least get the ranks right. You wouldn’t call the highest army commander an Admiral or navy commander a General. Don’t call a Seal a commander.
Exactly. If it's basically an established rule of the universe that some things are true that aren't consistent with our understanding of science, then fine, if that allows for more interesting stories. But be consistent and don't distract us with other departures that might seem like a red herring in the story. Poor research shouldn't add suspicion on the part of the reader that's not intended to be there.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

It still bothers me a bit that time dilation was only a factor in Aric's initial travels in space.

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

kjjohanson wrote:It still bothers me a bit that time dilation was only a factor in Aric's initial travels in space.
It bothers me that Bloodshot didn’t need to eat a cow as a protein source to allow his nanites to sprout bat wings and fly in Harbinger Wars II!
Last edited by DirtbagSailor on Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:42:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

DirtbagSailor wrote:
kjjohanson wrote:It still bothers me a bit that time dilation was only a factor in Aric's initial travels in space.
It bothers me that Bloodshot didn’t need to eat a cow as a protein source to allow his manifest to sprout bat wings and fly in Harbinger Wars II!
I actually haven't read that yet. I've been a bit behind for a while but I'm catching up on everything now. (Really looking forward to that GITcorp drive with everything up to 2019). It looks like I have a lot to be bothered about coming.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

#justaplotdevice :kidaround:

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

I'm gonna pretend that Shanhara learned some cosmic wizardry when they merged with The Torment. It doesn't explain what might have come before but good enough. Prior cosmic travels would have happened in Dead Hand and HW(?).

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

jmatt wrote:
I'm gonna pretend that Shanhara learned some cosmic wizardry when they merged with The Torment. It doesn't explain what might have come before but good enough. Prior cosmic travels would have happened in Dead Hand and HW(?).
I believe the explanation was that the ship Aric was on was a seed ship and spent its time searching for new planets to seed with vine plantings. As such, it had to travel at slower speeds (approaching the speed of light) so as not to miss any potential life baring planets. and therefore the time-dilation. Other travel was done at “extra-light speed” or via Einstein-Rosen bridge and was therefore near instantaneous.

TheeBaldMoose
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

DirtbagSailor wrote:

I can't remember where or when in my military career this came up, but from what I can recall, Hollywood is not allowed to copy the military in every fashion. They can utilize the SEAL's, can't utilize the ribbons or rank. Perfect case in point is when they wear their dress uniforms. My military service revolved around Law Enforcement, and when Hollywood utilized cops to secure certain areas, they would often utilize the one group in the Air Force that wore berets. Air Force Blues were worn, proper corfam boots, properly holstered weapons (no drop holsters), even ranks were properly utilized. Their one thing they did not include was the Law Enforcement badge, which signifies the position. It's like a regular street cop not having their badge, it just isn't lawful. Yet, they depicted this force of Airmen whom were armed who took over a facility.

I'm thinking this mis-used rank was done on purpose. They simply CAN NOT utilize every facet of the military, because someone stupid would actually think they were actual military members being utilized for the parts.

In the same breath, it's why they can't utilize actual TV programs, or actual news stations. Think of the old Orson Welles radio broadcast "News Report" that sent so many people into a panic, when all it was, was an intro into 'War of the Worlds' program
Moose

DirtbagSailor

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Let’s not forget though, movies like Top Gun, The Rock, and Crimson Tide which featured very accurate details.

Shows like JAG and NCIS have been close too.

It is possible.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

TheeBaldMoose wrote:
DirtbagSailor wrote:

I can't remember where or when in my military career this came up, but from what I can recall, Hollywood is not allowed to copy the military in every fashion. They can utilize the SEAL's, can't utilize the ribbons or rank. Perfect case in point is when they wear their dress uniforms. My military service revolved around Law Enforcement, and when Hollywood utilized cops to secure certain areas, they would often utilize the one group in the Air Force that wore berets. Air Force Blues were worn, proper corfam boots, properly holstered weapons (no drop holsters), even ranks were properly utilized. Their one thing they did not include was the Law Enforcement badge, which signifies the position. It's like a regular street cop not having their badge, it just isn't lawful. Yet, they depicted this force of Airmen whom were armed who took over a facility.

I'm thinking this mis-used rank was done on purpose. They simply CAN NOT utilize every facet of the military, because someone stupid would actually think they were actual military members being utilized for the parts.

In the same breath, it's why they can't utilize actual TV programs, or actual news stations. Think of the old Orson Welles radio broadcast "News Report" that sent so many people into a panic, when all it was, was an intro into 'War of the Worlds' program
There have a number of movies that *did* feature actual news programs and small spots by the people that actual work for those programs in some movies. I can't remember which, off the top of my head.

kjjohanson

Post by kjjohanson »

jmatt wrote:
Planet Death was when it first occurred to me.