CGC Registry

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
CGC Registry

Post by StarBrand »

Are there any examples of specific storylines being registered as sets?
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: CGC Registry

Post by nycjadie »

The last X-O 2012 story arc is a set, and I believe there are some Uncanny runs set up as separate sets.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

That’s cool!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I noticed that Batman: A Death in the Family is a registered set.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Another question. Are newsstands ever differentiated from direct editions in the Registry?

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Not for Valiant titles, that I'm aware of. That's the case even for Vistor Vs. That being said, I think they started noting "newsstand" on some books, but not Valiant titles yet. I requested them on these recently graded books (this year), and they are just listed as regular copies:

https://www.valiant.fan/newsstand-variants.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Interesting. Thanks.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I did notice a single Keee-Skrull War set registered. And, not a single Korvac Saga set has been registered yet.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

CGC denotes Mark Jeweler’s variants on their labels, don’t they?

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Yes, as well as Bubblicious inserts.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

nycjadie wrote:Yes, as well as Bubblicious inserts.
Wow. I’d not heard of those. Thanks.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Well the good news is that it appears that I have the top Iron Man v2 set on the census. The bad news is that the system is mislogging my #4 variant and also that I guess I missed the registry awards by a month.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

IMJ wrote:Well the good news is that it appears that I have the top Iron Man v2 set on the census. The bad news is that the system is mislogging my #4 variant and also that I guess I missed the registry awards by a month.
Congrats! Is that the Jim Lee run? And, will you be able to snag that award next year?

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

StarBrand wrote:
IMJ wrote:Well the good news is that it appears that I have the top Iron Man v2 set on the census. The bad news is that the system is mislogging my #4 variant and also that I guess I missed the registry awards by a month.
Congrats! Is that the Jim Lee run? And, will you be able to snag that award next year?
I guess I have a shot at it, but that's basically a year away.

The killer is that the guy who had the top set before I reg'd mine has received the award for like ten years. But I've had a set that beats his for at least that amount of time, I just never registered it. LOL!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

The only set I might win is if they did a registry set of New Universe comics.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

StarBrand wrote:The only set I might win is if they did a registry set of New Universe comics.
You can request that they add the set on the forums so that you can register your graded books....

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Thanks. I’m going to look into that.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

StarBrand wrote:Thanks. I’m going to look into that.
It takes about 3 months, and I’ve had instances where I’ve asked for corrections/additions, and they didn’t happen. For example, a VEI book was erroneously added to the V1 Bloodshot set. Still no luck. Or the “original” V1 books are added to the Magnus set, but not Solar. I think the whole process would work better if it was crowdsourced by a handful of expert fans, sort of like Overstreet with dealers, or Wikipedia. We know more than CGC, but there needs to be a QC to prevent the *SQUEE* from gaming the system.

Another frustration is that the VEI variants are worth the same as the regular books. They should be worth substantially more. So an A cover is worth the same as a 1:250. This is not the case with V1. I think it’s laziness on the part of CGC, as it’s just easier to make all books the same value. I totally get that, but it makes the value of the registry much, much less than if it was weighted to scarcity.

Rant off!

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

nycjadie wrote:
It takes about 3 months,
Greeatttttt..... I've got 3 books hung up on the registry because it didn't recognize the serial number as the proper variant. There are registry slots for those variants, so my guess is that whoever did the grading registered the book as a standard book. Basic stuff too, like Iron Man volume 2 #4 and some Ultimate Iron Man books....

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

nycjadie wrote:
It takes about 3 months, and I’ve had instances where I’ve asked for corrections/additions, and they didn’t happen. For example, a VEI book was erroneously added to the V1 Bloodshot set. Still no luck. Or the “original” V1 books are added to the Magnus set, but not Solar. I think the whole process would work better if it was crowdsourced by a handful of expert fans, sort of like Overstreet with dealers, or Wikipedia. We know more than CGC, but there needs to be a QC to prevent the *SQUEE* from gaming the system.

Another frustration is that the VEI variants are worth the same as the regular books. They should be worth substantially more. So an A cover is worth the same as a 1:250. This is not the case with V1. I think it’s laziness on the part of CGC, as it’s just easier to make all books the same value. I totally get that, but it makes the value of the registry much, much less than if it was weighted to scarcity.

Rant off!
I don’t understand what you’re saying regarding the variants being worth the same as regular editions. What does that have to do with CGC? Thanks.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

StarBrand wrote:
nycjadie wrote:

Rant off!
I don’t understand what you’re saying regarding the variants being worth the same as regular editions. What does that have to do with CGC? Thanks.
CGC awards a point structure based on a book's grade in conjunction with it's FMV and availability. And so an Iron Man #55 9.8 is worth magnitudes, magnitudes beyond an Iron Man #297 9.8. So much so that sometimes there are people who rank high on the registry even though they are only reporting one or two books as opposed to a guy that has a full run of Iron Man in various grades.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

So, in some registery sets there are books with different point values. I wondered if that was the case. Thanks, IMJ.

TheeBaldMoose
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: ECCC April 2016
Favorite character: Bloodshot/Ninjak/Divinity
Favorite title: Divinity/BS Reborn/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Roberts
Favorite artist: All of them, really

Post by TheeBaldMoose »

IMJ wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
nycjadie wrote:

Rant off!
CGC awards a point structure based on a book's grade in conjunction with it's FMV and availability. And so an Iron Man #55 9.8 is worth magnitudes, magnitudes beyond an Iron Man #297 9.8. So much so that sometimes there are people who rank high on the registry even though they are only reporting one or two books as opposed to a guy that has a full run of Iron Man in various grades.
StarBrand wrote:So, in some registery sets there are books with different point values. I wondered if that was the case. Thanks, IMJ.
I totally agree with nycjadie, there are some VEI books that SHOULD be worth more points, simply because they are very hard to find! I am working on the Bloodshot (2012) set, and the point total for the DMG Variant (Chinese Variant) and the "I'd chop off my right had to get that book" #25's have the same point value as the #1 regular issue (24 points for 9.8/27 points if signed). Both instances of these books are very difficult to find, and are very costly. Not that cost should have anything to do with the point value, but the ability to get the books graded should. Right now, while we don't have a solid number of total books, we've speculate less than 100 returned to the states, and 21 books have been graded (14-9.8's/6-.6's/1-9.0). Roughly the same could be said for the #25 variants (1:25 and 1:50).

Everything is eventual, so I would imagine in time this could get corrected. I'm not saying any time soon, as it depends on just how popular/obscure Valiant becomes.
Moose

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Greg should start his own Registry of CGC books, and weight them properly.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

IMJ wrote:
nycjadie wrote:
It takes about 3 months,
Greeatttttt..... I've got 3 books hung up on the registry because it didn't recognize the serial number as the proper variant. There are registry slots for those variants, so my guess is that whoever did the grading registered the book as a standard book. Basic stuff too, like Iron Man volume 2 #4 and some Ultimate Iron Man books....
This happens to me all the time, usually 2-3 books in every submission. Thing is, it’s difficult to stay on top of f them, so I have holes on the registry because of this nonsense. And it happens to me all the time.