ETERNAL WARRIOR: SCORCHED EARTH

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger
Re: ETERNAL WARRIOR: SCORCHED EARTH

Post by David_Cody »

Looking back, I kinda wish I'd pulled the trigger on this. Oh well... :? Maybe I'll find it on eBay.

markie7235
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by markie7235 »

Unfortunately I missed out on this, didn't hear about it until after the Kickstarter closed. EW has always been one of my favorite characters, though I personally preferred the more wise, calm, and collected VH1 version to the somewhat dumb hot head of VEI.

Having backed several kickstarter projects in the past, delays are extremely common. There were a couple video games I backed that took like 3-4 years before they were done (despite supposedly being far along in development). Kind of why I stopped backing Kickstarter projects, my experience is you pay now and can wait years to see anything for it.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

So I finally read the pdf. This was one of my least favorite stories to date. It felt a bit like an afterschool special. I don't want to be too harsh, but it felt really pedestrian to me. I think they squandered the ability to produce a fully fledged graphic novel without single issues. It was a new format they could have really explored. I won't provide any spoilers, but there is at least one one-way door in the book, which makes it an important read (albeit, not a necessary one).

If they do this again, I hope they get more creative with the story and art, taking advantage of the medium. I also hope they avoid these types of endings in the future. Such a disappointment.

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

nycjadie wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:03:37 pm So I finally read the pdf. This was one of my least favorite stories to date. It felt a bit like an afterschool special. I don't want to be too harsh, but it felt really pedestrian to me. I think they squandered the ability to produce a fully fledged graphic novel without single issues. It was a new format they could have really explored. I won't provide any spoilers, but there is at least one one-way door in the book, which makes it an important read (albeit, not a necessary one).

If they do this again, I hope they get more creative with the story and art, taking advantage of the medium. I also hope they avoid these types of endings in the future. Such a disappointment.
Aw man, that’s a shame to hear this. I was hoping it would be good - I still haven’t gotten around to reading that pdf yet.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

I contacted Valiant to see if I could help out with Kickstarter fulfillment. My own business relies heavily on Kickstarter (those who know me know this), and I even helped promote the Eternal Warrior campaign to our own Kickstarter backers. I just want to see this campaign fulfilled, and am willing to print the books and ship them myself if that's what it takes.

At last contact one of the few remaining employees at Valiant told me the campaign was completely in DMG's hands. He didn't know what the status was and was going to look into it and get back to me.

I've just heard that employee has since been let go.

Draw your own conclusions as to whether this project will ever be fulfilled.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

GammaJosh wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:15:41 pm I contacted Valiant to see if I could help out with Kickstarter fulfillment. My own business relies heavily on Kickstarter (those who know me know this), and I even helped promote the Eternal Warrior campaign to our own Kickstarter backers. I just want to see this campaign fulfilled, and am willing to print the books and ship them myself if that's what it takes.

At last contact one of the few remaining employees at Valiant told me the campaign was completely in DMG's hands. He didn't know what the status was and was going to look into it and get back to me.

I've just heard that employee has since been let go.

Draw your own conclusions as to whether this project will ever be fulfilled.
Sounds like a great company. I look forward to many more years of wonderful Valiant content

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

Sounds like they won’t fulfill. Any recourse from KS?

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

nycjadie wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:14:23 pm Sounds like they won’t fulfill. Any recourse from KS?
In reality? No. Backers can report the project but KS is very hands off when it comes to failed KS', offering near-zero accountability themselves, or little obvious in holding project runners to account.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Wow. Sorry to everyone who tied up money in this. I was so close to funding but never did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Support your local farmers!***

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Honestly, we got the pdf. That is more than some kickstarters I have backed.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Chiclo wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:21:46 pm Honestly, we got the pdf. That is more than some kickstarters I have backed.
Most comic book kickstarters are done by a couple people who have full time jobs and are pursuing their dream to make a comic book in their spare time.

It's not even comparable to DMG. From D. Mintz wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Mintz_(executive):
His visionary early roots in China gave him immense insight and value as he took his company public to a value of over 7 billion dollars.
You're telling me a visionary whose company DMG was worth 7 billion can't even bother to fulfill the print copies of a graphic novel that's completed? People should just be happy that they got pdfs for a print book they paid for? FFS the Stockholm Syndrome on this site is intense.

unityshadowman
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Favorite character: Shadowman (V1)
Favorite title: Divinity/Britannia
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire
Favorite artist: Cowan/Larosa

Post by unityshadowman »

"531 backers pledged $55,027 to help bring this project to life."

When is everyone ready to call this "crowdfunding theft"?
https://www.superlawyers.com/resources/ ... o-deliver/

I haven't seen, nor received, any update from Valiant to my inquiries (or other ticked off supporters waiting for an update) on the status of this project...and Kickstarter's guidance has been exhausted and is worthless due to the inherent risk: https://help.kickstarter.com/hc/en-us/a ... ly-funded-

Given Travis' comments, it sounds VERY unlikely we will ever see the printed copies or add-ons (the product) we paid for:
https://boundingintocomics.com/2023/07/ ... practices/

Dan couldn't give Travis a penny of severance, paying fans/supporters of Valiant are still waiting for what was [$55,027] collectively paid and we can't get an update (last update was in March) - because we won't...we paid for a product we have not and will not receive. At this point, let's call this "theft"; it's a scam. How many Valiant artists are still waiting to be paid for their published work? How deep in the red is Valiant? They want to start producing more than 1 book a month? Who would want to work for a company who operates like this? What creative or consumer is willing to be duped or duped again? We can call this DMG's fault, or Dan's, but Valiant's reputation is in the toilet. Worse, it's flowing through a sewer now. This Kickstarter is just another example of this implosion. For starters, Alien Publishing can't rebuild trust if current Valiant leadership remains in place.

Anyone want to boil their blood further? How about the combined $641,049 forgiven PPP loans Valiant Entertainment received?
https://projects.propublica.org/coronav ... 2384318302
https://projects.propublica.org/coronav ... 1512357101

Glad that was money well spent.
Help us build the X-O Micro Print Gallery:
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=48431

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

unityshadowman wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:43:35 am "531 backers pledged $55,027 to help bring this project to life."

When is everyone ready to call this "crowdfunding theft"?
https://www.superlawyers.com/resources/ ... o-deliver/

I haven't seen, nor received, any update from Valiant to my inquiries (or other ticked off supporters waiting for an update) on the status of this project...and Kickstarter's guidance has been exhausted and is worthless due to the inherent risk: https://help.kickstarter.com/hc/en-us/a ... ly-funded-

Given Travis' comments, it sounds VERY unlikely we will ever see the printed copies or add-ons (the product) we paid for:
https://boundingintocomics.com/2023/07/ ... practices/

Dan couldn't give Travis a penny of severance, paying fans/supporters of Valiant are still waiting for what was [$55,027] collectively paid and we can't get an update (last update was in March) - because we won't...we paid for a product we have not and will not receive. At this point, let's call this "theft"; it's a scam. How many Valiant artists are still waiting to be paid for their published work? How deep in the red is Valiant? They want to start producing more than 1 book a month? Who would want to work for a company who operates like this? What creative or consumer is willing to be duped or duped again? We can call this DMG's fault, or Dan's, but Valiant's reputation is in the toilet. Worse, it's flowing through a sewer now. This Kickstarter is just another example of this implosion. For starters, Alien Publishing can't rebuild trust if current Valiant leadership remains in place.

Anyone want to boil their blood further? How about the combined $641,049 forgiven PPP loans Valiant Entertainment received?
https://projects.propublica.org/coronav ... 2384318302
https://projects.propublica.org/coronav ... 1512357101

Glad that was money well spent.
I don't think DMG set out to deceive, but it does now look they they dipped into funds to keep running whatever DMG has been of late.

This was the project that brought me back to VALIANT and I'm disappointed that I likely won't be reading this (I rarely read digital books, and doing so in this case would leave a sour taste).

The clear disregard for backers by whoever is left at DMG if just poor treatment, and like you say unityshadowman, it does not leave a good clean start for Alien.

On Facebook I pondered whether there is value in putting pressure on Alien to in turn put pressure on DMG.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Ryan wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:21:38 pm
Chiclo wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:21:46 pm Honestly, we got the pdf. That is more than some kickstarters I have backed.
Most comic book kickstarters are done by a couple people who have full time jobs and are pursuing their dream to make a comic book in their spare time.

It's not even comparable to DMG. From D. Mintz wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Mintz_(executive):
His visionary early roots in China gave him immense insight and value as he took his company public to a value of over 7 billion dollars.
You're telling me a visionary whose company DMG was worth 7 billion can't even bother to fulfill the print copies of a graphic novel that's completed? People should just be happy that they got pdfs for a print book they paid for? FFS the Stockholm Syndrome on this site is intense.
I don’t mean to minimize your frustration but the idea that Dan Mintz has $7e9 at his command seems ridiculous. That huckster is all hat and no cattle.

nycjadie

Post by nycjadie »

I purchased the $325 tier, along with 32 others. Those are all going to be uber fans. But perhaps not fans for long.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Chiclo wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:09:04 pm
Ryan wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:21:38 pm

I don’t mean to minimize your frustration but the idea that Dan Mintz has $7e9 at his command seems ridiculous. That huckster is all hat and no cattle.
My frustration is at the people who own these characters and the way they've been totally destroying them through mismanagement and lack of care for the last 5 years. And the people on here who support them, I know you're not one of those. Sorry if my post seemed aimed at you, it wasn't meant to be.

slack
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?

Post by slack »

I mean... they are a comic publisher... they have it done and ready to print, they already got paid and profited from the sale. At this point, its multiple sad, petty thefts hidden behind Kicksarter's "*SQUEE* the buyer if you can't make it work" clause... committed against their (some former) most loyal fans.

problem is... they already have a track record of being able to print comics, GN's and Hardcovers, so its not like this is some crazy out of the ordinary thing that they had no idea if it was possible... this is a book publisher, with a proven track record of publishing books, just straight not fulfilling prepaid orders.

It's gross. I'm just *SQUEE* disgusted at this point.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

slack wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:24:22 pm I mean... they are a comic publisher... they have it done and ready to print, they already got paid and profited from the sale. At this point, its multiple sad, petty thefts hidden behind Kicksarter's "*SQUEE* the buyer if you can't make it work" clause... committed against their (some former) most loyal fans.

problem is... they already have a track record of being able to print comics, GN's and Hardcovers, so its not like this is some crazy out of the ordinary thing that they had no idea if it was possible... this is a book publisher, with a proven track record of publishing books, just straight not fulfilling prepaid orders.

Exactly. It's one thing if some amateurs trying to make their first comic have trouble fulfilling a kickstarter. An established publisher with tons of publishing experience and supposedly worth billions of dollars not bothering to print paid for copies of an already finished graphic novel? That's an insane level of disrespect. Like "we COULD print it, but nahh not worth the effort, who cares." facepalm

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

slack wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:24:22 pm I mean... they are a comic publisher... they have it done and ready to print, they already got paid and profited from the sale. At this point, its multiple sad, petty thefts hidden behind Kicksarter's "*SQUEE* the buyer if you can't make it work" clause... committed against their (some former) most loyal fans.

Yes.

I had wanted them to be more ambitious, e.g. a stretch goal offering an Eternal Warrior Deluxe edition (first 8 issue series and the subsequent mini, maybe LotG) as a paid add-on - I would have bought into that. Thankfully there was a lack of ambition which stopped backers losing more money, but it seems that pledge money for physical rewards is lost unless Mintz develops some semblance of self-awareness or Alien decides to put pressure on DMG.

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

Ryan wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:21:38 pm It's not even comparable to DMG. From D. Mintz wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Mintz_(executive):
Thank you. This is fraud in my opinion. There are only 500 backers on the campaign. I ran some numbers and these books could be printed for about $5,000. All in with the rest of the small items promised and sold as add-ons, maybe with some compensation for the creators to do the autographs and sketches, this project could be fulfilled for ~$10,000. That is probably Dan Mintz' monthly sushi and champagne budget. There is no hold up. DMG has just decided not to deliver.
Last edited by GammaJosh on Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:28:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

GammaJosh wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:23:18 am
Ryan wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:21:38 pm It's not even comparable to DMG. From D. Mintz wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Mintz_(executive):
Thank you. This is fraud in my opinion. There are only 500 backers on the campaign. I ran some numbers and these books could be printed for about $5,000. All in with the rest of the small items promised and sold as add-ons, maybe with some compensation for the creators to do the autographs and sketches, this project could be fulfilled for ~$10,000. That is probably Dan Mintz' monthly sushi and champagne budget.
Exactly

GammaJosh

Post by GammaJosh »

I think you guys should write to Alien and bring up the Kickstarter. I'd do it myself but I'm afraid as a licensee myself I'd be overstepping my bounds or committing some kind of contract interference.

info@alienbooks.com

slack
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?

Post by slack »

Alien Books responded to me on Facebook about the Kickstarter. they said it was before their deal, and VEI should publish, and told me to be patient.

I told them good luck, and to pay attention to what's happened with Valiant and to be careful signing contracts with DMG.

I also told them I won't be buying their Valiant content as long as DMG owns it.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

The title of this thing became unintentionally ironic...
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

double post.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic: