FCBD 2022….DMG never learn!

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
FCBD 2022….DMG never learn!

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

After the constant failures of the last 3 years, fan disinterest and dismal sales, a new guy takes over and what do they offer as part of FCBD 2022…

-New Bloodshot story by @DenizCamp & @JonDavisHunt
-New Archer & Armstrong story by @steve_foxe & @marciofiorito
-New Ninjak story by @jeffparker & @themikenorton

Anyone pumped for any of this? :?

If this is just a set of throwaway stories and the real series will be A level talent then there another thing, but this line up of unknowns and average talent is not what I was hoping for.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill
Re: FCBD 2022….DMG never learn!

Post by nonplayer »

I need to hear all you dye hard valiant fans rave about some stuff they put out before I'm going to give DMG another dollar.
I Miss the good old days.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I look forward to taking a gander. New blood can invigorate, if they do it right. No judgment here yet.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Armorclads though….

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I think it says a lot that they list creators by their social media handles and not their names.

Coffee
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by Coffee »

Chiclo wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:45:58 pm I think it says a lot that they list creators by their social media handles and not their names.
Doesn't look like they list creators by social media handles on the Valiant official website: https://valiantentertainment.com/2021/1 ... -revealed/

If you're referring to Twitter, well, that's the norm on that platform. Same for Instagram. "It says a lot" about what platform they're using to share the information.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Coffee wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:21:48 am
Chiclo wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:45:58 pm I think it says a lot that they list creators by their social media handles and not their names.
Doesn't look like they list creators by social media handles on the Valiant official website: https://valiantentertainment.com/2021/1 ... -revealed/

If you're referring to Twitter, well, that's the norm on that platform. Same for Instagram. "It says a lot" about what platform they're using to share the information.
Point taken.

armlessphelan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by armlessphelan »

I liked Jeff Parker's Red She-Hulk run. A lot. And nice to see Davis-Hunt is still working at Valiant. The rest reserve judgment until I read the actual book. I'm not gonna be mad that Valiant can't afford Grant Morrison or John Romita Jr. Too many comic fans automatically assume new is the same as bad.
Manga, comics, who cares? They're pretty much the same thing.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

I'm not entirely sure if this warrants negativity yet, as it sounds kind of promising actually. I like Mike Norton and Jon Davis-Hunt, and I really like that A&A are coming back. Plus, the cover looks good, and the fact that they're focusing on more than three properties seems like a step in the right direction.

EDIT: Oh, I also like when FCBD issues contain brand-new stories, rather than the same old previews we always see in the back of every issue.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheFerg714 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:26:46 pm I'm not entirely sure if this warrants negativity yet, as it sounds kind of promising actually. I like Mike Norton and Jon Davis-Hunt, and I really like that A&A are coming back. Plus, the cover looks good, and the fact that they're focusing on more than three properties seems like a step in the right direction.

EDIT: Oh, I also like when FCBD issues contain brand-new stories, rather than the same old previews we always see in the back of every issue.
It’s not exactly A level talent is it? And given the track record of bringing in lesser knows/unknowns then it’s doesn’t inspire confidence. Presumably DMG aren’t paying out for A listers.

I’m not an an A&A fan but if you look at how they brought back XO, Savage, Ninjak, Bloodshot (x2) and Harbinger then I’m not sure where you’re optimism comes from? :?

Hopefully, these creative teams are just for FCBD and there’s better to come.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:10:06 pm
TheFerg714 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:26:46 pm I'm not entirely sure if this warrants negativity yet, as it sounds kind of promising actually. I like Mike Norton and Jon Davis-Hunt, and I really like that A&A are coming back. Plus, the cover looks good, and the fact that they're focusing on more than three properties seems like a step in the right direction.

It’s not exactly A level talent is it? And given the track record of bringing in lesser knows/unknowns then it’s doesn’t inspire confidence. Presumably DMG aren’t paying out for A listers.

I’m not an an A&A fan but if you look at how they brought back XO, Savage, Ninjak, Bloodshot (x2) and Harbinger then I’m not sure where you’re optimism comes from? :?

Honestly, Venditti and Dysart were not A-level talent in 2012. They were, however, top notch creators even if the word about them had not gotten out yet. They were good hires. DMG don’t do that. They have hired a whole parade of clowns. Maybe these guys, Norton and Davis-Hunt are different. I hope they are different. I’ll still buy the books because I am just that kind of hopeful fool with $8 a month to spend.

I believe it every time I say it. Maybe this time WILL be different.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Chiclo wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:23:30 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:10:06 pm

Honestly, Venditti and Dysart were not A-level talent in 2012. They were, however, top notch creators even if the word about them had not gotten out yet. They were good hires. DMG don’t do that. They have hired a whole parade of clowns. Maybe these guys, Norton and Davis-Hunt are different. I hope they are different. I’ll still buy the books because I am just that kind of hopeful fool with $8 a month to spend.

Exactly this! VDitti and Dysart weren’t big names but the quality quickly shone through which gave confidence in VEI’s choices (apart from FVL, I’ll never get why people think he’s good).

Just looked up Norton and he seems a decent artist, Davis-Hunt does the current Shadowman art and it’s not really my cup of tea as he draws characters with oddly small bodies.
Anyhow, let’s wait and see what they bring to the table.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:00:26 pm (apart from FVL, I’ll never get why people think he’s good)
Yeah, I don’t miss that guy.

Justin Jordan’s Shadowman was probably worse. FVL never did it for me either but I remember his A&A being better than Jordan’s Shadowman. Looking back, Jordan’s Shadowman probably would have been better had the series had more time to develop. Maybe 9 years of nostalgia takes some stink off that turd?

It made it a real easy decision to not get the new Jennifer Blood by Dynamite (who still suck) when I saw it was written by FVL.

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:10:06 pm It’s not exactly A level talent is it? And given the track record of bringing in lesser knows/unknowns then it’s doesn’t inspire confidence. Presumably DMG aren’t paying out for A listers.
Why are you even expecting A-level talent? I'm just hoping for good stories.
Yea, true, but then there's Rai and Shadowman, which can stand up to the best of VEI's output. Plus considering the fact that it's a whole new "era," with a new Executive Editor, I'm willing to go into 2022 with more optimism than usual.
Eh, seems like more unwarranted negativity. Ninjak has a chance of becoming readable with the exclusion of Pulido, Bloodshot's getting new blood (including a badass artist), and A&A is back.

In other news, I love FVL's Anni-Padda Bros. stories. His A&A is probably my favorite VEI series, Timewalker is a nearly perfect little self-contained story, and his one-shots are honestly incredible. As for Gen. Zero and Psi-Lords... not so much a fan of those...

EDIT: Oh, I really liked War Mother too.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheFerg714 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:27:11 pm Why are you even expecting A-level talent? I'm just hoping for good stories.
Larosa, Giorello, Kindt, Lemire, Clay Mann are all A level talent as were VDitti and Dysart, we just didn’t know it at first.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Chiclo wrote:I’ll still buy the books because I am just that kind of hopeful fool with $8 a month to spend.

Valiant Fan 2021

aj583
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by aj583 »

Norton was good on Revival. Liked the art and overall series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheFerg714

Post by TheFerg714 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:16:16 am
TheFerg714 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:27:11 pm Why are you even expecting A-level talent? I'm just hoping for good stories.
Larosa, Giorello, Kindt, Lemire, Clay Mann are all A level talent as were VDitti and Dysart, we just didn’t know it at first.
What's your point? It's been three full years now, in which DMG has made clear that they aren't on the same level as VEI, as far as talent acquisition. I'm not expecting a Kindt or Giorello, but I'd say the talents of people like Bunn, Davis-Hunt, Garcia, and Norton are a good step in the right direction.

I have no problem sh!tting all over the FCBD issue, as well as Valiant's 2022 output in general, but at this point, I think it's worth taking a step back and at least giving them one more chance to right the ship.

If they're still publishing 2 issues per month (with 1 of them usually being terrible) by mid-2022, and the FCBD issue disappoints, then of course I'll be back here to proclaim how *SQUEE* DMG still is.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheFerg714 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:36:32 pm
I have no problem sh!tting all over the FCBD issue, as well as Valiant's 2022 output in general, but at this point, I think it's worth taking a step back and at least giving them one more chance to right the ship.

If they're still publishing 2 issues per month (with 1 of them usually being terrible) by mid-2022, and the FCBD issue disappoints, then of course I'll be back here to proclaim how *SQUEE* DMG still is.
I definitely am giving them a second chance and I hope whoever they bring in delivers quality content, which is consistent with continuity established by VEI.

I don’t even care if they only do 2 books per month, just make them great books!

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

nonplayer wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:52:16 pm I need to hear all you dye hard valiant fans rave about some stuff they put out before I'm going to give DMG another dollar.

That's really saying something about a free comic!
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?