Help Jim Shooter get a book with Alien

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
Help Jim Shooter get a book with Alien

Post by valiantdude »

All right look, ive been on this board way too long - literally 21 yrs. We've had very funny disputes, and differences of opinion, but one thing I think we all have in common is that we appreciate Jim Shooter and his writing.
So take a minute to find alien's contact info post it here, and let's email them letting them know how much we would love for jim to write a book within this new company.
Very easy thing to do, I'm having trouble finding it.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Re: Help Jim Shooter get a book with Alien

Post by ManofTheAtom »

An "All-Star"-type Eternal Warrior maxi-series by Shooter, who created the character.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

No thanks.

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by syzhang28 »

This is a great idea

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

info@alienbooks.com

That is at the bottom of their webpage, alienbooks.com

Internet keyword alienbooks. Dot com.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

yes www.alienbooks.com .. Ive heard things are in the works, but maybe still in planning stage. they have an IG and FB, hit them up and let them know. I told them that i would buy any valiant comic that jim shooter wrote no matter what, and i'm sure there are some people that would do the same.

https://www.facebook.com/aliencomicbooks

https://www.instagram.com/aliencomicbooks/

I thought they were based out of Europe, but they are based out of New York City.. Just like Jim!

Do your part as a Valiant fan.
Doesnt have to be EIC, but just one book would be stellar.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I wonder if he could get the same talent today. Invite for Warren to come back.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

Ok after looking at the website and browsing through their comics on https://www.zestworld.com/aliencomics, I think people on this board are thinking about this in the wrong way.

Look at the comics, especially MK-Super and the 2 books by Salvador Sanz. They look quite professional, and in a lot of ways like a mix between old school and some of the VEI stuff like Jon Davis-Hunt and others.

So I don't think DMG is farming out to Alien just so they can hire Shooter or Simons or anybody like that. I think the people doing these Alien comics will be the ones doing the Valiant books.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:08:50 pm Ok after looking at the website and browsing through their comics on https://www.zestworld.com/aliencomics, I think people on this board are thinking about this in the wrong way.

Look at the comics, especially MK-Super and the 2 books by Salvador Sanz. They look quite professional, and in a lot of ways like a mix between old school and some of the VEI stuff like Jon Davis-Hunt and others.

So I don't think DMG is farming out to Alien just so they can hire Shooter or Simons or anybody like that. I think the people doing these Alien comics will be the ones doing the Valiant books.
Exactly.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:12:30 pm
Ryan wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:08:50 pm Ok after looking at the website and browsing through their comics on https://www.zestworld.com/aliencomics, I think people on this board are thinking about this in the wrong way.

Exactly.
I'm going to try to read the MK-Super book when I get a chance. It looks interesting in a Mark Millar sort of way.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Not gonna lie, I can dig some of this Salvador Sanz artwork. Clear storytelling and has a bit of that traditional colors feel like VH1 :thumb:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:33:07 pm Not gonna lie, I can dig some of this Salvador Sanz artwork. Clear storytelling and has a bit of that traditional colors feel like VH1 :thumb:

It does look good. I've flipped through some of those and they clearly know what they're doing.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

If Alien are hoping to tap a new audience as well s any retained VEI/DMG audience, I cannot see Shooter being any kind of serious draw.

Dark Key was his last big hurrah right? Lightning didn't get bottled twice.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

leonmallett wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:15:04 pm If Alien are hoping to tap a new audience as well s any retained VEI/DMG audience, I cannot see Shooter being any kind of serious draw.

He got close with Defiant. I loved some of those stories.

Bad Idea seems close too. We'll see, still lots of things that could go wrong.

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

syzhang28 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:46:17 pm
leonmallett wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:15:04 pm If Alien are hoping to tap a new audience as well s any retained VEI/DMG audience, I cannot see Shooter being any kind of serious draw.

He got close with Defiant. I loved some of those stories.

Bad Idea seems close too. We'll see, still lots of things that could go wrong.
Defiant ended <checks Wikipedia>... 28 years ago. In modern comics terms that is unfortunately ancient history. I am not disrespecting Shooter's past achievements since no Shooter means no VH1 which means no Hall Shadowman (my favourite VH1 run). No VH1 and we have no VEI relaunch which I largely enjoyed until I stopped reading the line. But nonetheless yearning for the past in a much changed (albeit often nostalgic) market is a recipe for failure IMHO.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

I for one really liked Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory starring Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka from 2005.

I thought it was considerably superior to Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory starring Gene Wilder from 1971. I'm sure others might agree with me.

Nonetheless, WB has produced a prequel starring Timothée Chalamet that seems to be connected to the 1971 film more so than the 2005 remake.

Chalamet appears to be playing the same iteration of Wonka as Wilder.

This is all to say, don't underestimate the power of nostalgia. While better versions might come along, the originals still have an audience that, sometimes, can be larger than people realize (not that this is always true; see fans of Zack Snyder's DC movies versus fans of previous adaptations of the same characters from the '60s and '70s).

A new VALIANT project from Shooter COULD be great depending on how it's marketed and to whom. The right audience might eat it up.

Ideally, it would be something superior to Unity 2000.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:49:41 pm Ideally, it would be something superior to Unity 2000.
Ideally.

Pulling that kind of thing off is akin to keeping several spinning plates going at the same time, the least of which is a writer who has proved to be tempermental in recent years.

You are pinning an awful lot on what is, charitably, a pitch whose time has passed.

I heard a story once where a once significant comic writer had been hired for a reboot of properties he had created. His first pitch was lacklustre and the new guys who owned the company confronted him and knew that he could do better. So he came up with a second pitch that was deep and well done.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:37:32 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:49:41 pm Ideally, it would be something superior to Unity 2000.
Ideally.

Pulling that kind of thing off is akin to keeping several spinning plates going at the same time, the least of which is a writer who has proved to be tempermental in recent years.

You are pinning an awful lot on what is, charitably, a pitch whose time has passed.

I heard a story once where a once significant comic writer had been hired for a reboot of properties he had created. His first pitch was lacklustre and the new guys who owned the company confronted him and knew that he could do better. So he came up with a second pitch that was deep and well done.
I'm aware of the first part, don't recall his delivering a better version of what would have been his version of VEI.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:49:41 pm I for one really liked Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory starring Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka from 2005.

I thought it was considerably superior to Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory starring Gene Wilder from 1971. I'm sure others might agree with me.

Nonetheless, WB has produced a prequel starring Timothée Chalamet that seems to be connected to the 1971 film more so than the 2005 remake.

This is all to say, don't underestimate the power of nostalgia. While better versions might come along, the originals still have an audience that, sometimes, can be larger than people realize (not that this is always true; see fans of Zack Snyder's DC movies versus fans of previous adaptations of the same characters from the '60s and '70s).

A new VALIANT project from Shooter COULD be great depending on how it's marketed and to whom. The right audience might eat it up.

The vast majority prefer Wonka 1971. When the 2005 film came out it was lambasted by audiences.

The only people interested in a shooter Valiant story are the same ones who would eat it up. It's a small group that still cares about that combo and they all care a lot. You'd be selling to the choir. The vast majority of which are the same choir that would be there if you had virtually anyone else write a Valiant story. Which is what we saw with Dark Horse and Gold Key. Sales were very small.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:02:39 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:49:41 pm I for one really liked Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory starring Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka from 2005.

The vast majority prefer Wonka 1971. When the 2005 film came out it was lambasted by audiences.

The only people interested in a shooter Valiant story are the same ones who would eat it up. It's a small group that still cares about that combo and they all care a lot. You'd be selling to the choir. The vast majority of which are the same choir that would be there if you had virtually anyone else write a Valiant story. Which is what we saw with Dark Horse and Gold Key. Sales were very small.
What Alien needs is to follow the tone Shooter set, so even if he himself never writes a VALIANT story the ones published in the future FEEL like the ones he did in the '90s.

It's all about tone; real world, hard science, strong continuity, etc.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Chiclo wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:37:32 pm
Ideally.

Curious about what this last paragraph is referring to, sounds interesting.

I don't think anyone is saying that Shooter should be brought back to write everything. I think it'd be interesting to see him as an Editor, Continuity director, or something like that. But even that sounds more like a pipe dream than something that would happen in reality.
ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:09:51 pm What Alien needs is to follow the tone Shooter set, so even if he himself never writes a VALIANT story the ones published in the future FEEL like the ones he did in the '90s.

It's all about tone; real world, hard science, strong continuity, etc.
This is perfectly said. The VH1-appreciative ppl on here (myself, MOTA, maybe V-dude?) are not arguing for Shooter to write everything or to bring all the old stuff back for the sake of nostalgia.

Just a return to the solid fundamentals of storytelling that made Pre-Unity special. Priority is on story first, not on gimmicks, hype, style or marketing. A deep story that builds with each issue and is well-thought out, consistent, logical (follows its own rules), and of course exciting.

Something that has much more in common with a good Hard Sci-Fi book series than most comic books.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I think this has less to do have relative quality (I haven't seen the Depp version) and more to do with the fact that the 1971 is a classic that has become iconic.

So many years of being shown on TV, watched in classrooms, etc. has burned the 1971 version into the cultural consciousness.

That's what's hard about totally rebooting a classic franchise, no matter how good the quality is, it will always be very difficult to replace an iconic classic in the minds of the general public.

Star Trek:TNG was brilliant because even though it felt like a fresh start (new ship, crew, etc.), it was set in the 60's show's continuity and thus built on and modernized the original without trying to replace it.

Can you imagine if in 1987 they would have tried to reboot Star Trek with a new Kirk, Spock, etc. set in a new continuity? No one knows for sure, but I imagine it wouldn't have been successful and after being canceled the Trek fans would ignore it and want stories in the old continuity.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:31:47 pm

I think this has less to do have relative quality (I haven't seen the Depp version) and more to do with the fact that the 1971 is a classic that has become iconic.

So many years of being shown on TV, watched in classrooms, etc. has burned the 1971 version into the cultural consciousness.

That's what's hard about totally rebooting a classic franchise, no matter how good the quality is, it will always be very difficult to replace an iconic classic in the minds of the general public.

Star Trek:TNG was brilliant because even though it felt like a fresh start (new ship, crew, etc.), it was set in the 60's show's continuity and thus built on and modernized the original without trying to replace it.

Can you imagine if in 1987 they would have tried to reboot Star Trek with a new Kirk, Spock, etc. set in a new continuity? No one knows for sure, but I imagine it wouldn't have been successful and after being canceled the Trek fans would ignore it and want stories in the old continuity.
True.