More rumors about Alien books

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
More rumors about Alien books

Post by syzhang28 »

Turns out my LCS isn't talking to Alien but to Valiant higher ups and that's how they know what the Alien cover prices are, its a discussion between them and they want to see what stores think. My LCS got in a little trouble so they are being careful what they said to me now. I did get a little more though. The new news is that Valiant higher ups don't like the plans Alien is working on but DMG does. Something to do with how many books and the prices of the books per month. Sounds like good news to me. Wasn't thrilled about what Valiant has been doing since they ousted Dinesh and team. Don't think we need more of the same. I hope Alien books comes out swinging with a bold plan.

syzhang28
Re: More rumors about Alien books

Post by syzhang28 »

If anyone has questions, I can try and ask my LCS and see if they'll share any answers they have. But they are now being careful so who knows.

daniellew61
Still Valiant after all these years.

Post by daniellew61 »

OK, none of this is true.

slack
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?

Post by slack »

daniellew61 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:10:24 am OK, none of this is true.
Hmm... wild speculation vs. bona fide insider

:kidaround:

daniellew61

Post by daniellew61 »

yeah, I wish I could say maybe a retailer is just confused, but none of this is true.
Because I have not spoken to any retailers at all yet about anything Alien.
No one would "get in trouble" either for repeating news to customers/fans - it's the whole point of talking to them, so they spread the news and know the stuff.
Somehow we have 3 divisions now, with higher-ups? you'd think I would be aware of that.
But I love the enthusiasm

So far, everyone likes everyone's plans by the way, and I'm working on getting some solicits set up so we can be in previews and get you guys some damn books already!! I wish they were here already!

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

daniellew61 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:43:23 am So far, everyone likes everyone's plans by the way, and I'm working on getting some solicits set up so we can be in previews and get you guys some damn books already!! I wish they were here already!
Awesome.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

daniellew61 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:43:23 am So far, everyone likes everyone's plans by the way, and I'm working on getting some solicits set up so we can be in previews and get you guys some damn books already!! I wish they were here already!
This is encouraging.

Can you comment about whether these will be offered through Previews?

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Chiclo wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:31:43 am
This is encouraging.

I'll see if I can get that answer.

daniellew61

Post by daniellew61 »

This is encouraging.

Yep!

daniellew61

Post by daniellew61 »

syzhang28 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:05:17 pm
This is encouraging.

Please do.

slack

Post by slack »

This is encouraging.

Are you not following along? I believe you're out of your depth.

daniellew61

Post by daniellew61 »

slack wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:44:41 pm
This is encouraging.

Are you not following along? I believe you're out of your depth.
lol shh, I wanna see where this goes..

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

daniellew61 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:43:23 am yeah, I wish I could say maybe a retailer is just confused, but none of this is true.
No one would "get in trouble" either for repeating news to customers/fans - it's the whole point of talking to them, so they spread the news and know the stuff.
Somehow we have 3 divisions now, with higher-ups? you'd think I would be aware of that.

So far, everyone likes everyone's plans by the way, and I'm working on getting some solicits set up so we can be in previews and get you guys some damn books already!! I wish they were here already!
You don't work for Valiant anymore right? I don't believe you'd know, with all respect. My store is telling me they are talking to Valiant higher ups. You're not an Alien person right? Not trying to argue. I'll keep posting what I hear and maybe it ends up being rumors but my store seems pretty confident that the books are priced the way they are telling me and that Valiant higher ups don't like the details of the full plan they've heard so far.

slack

Post by slack »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:58:45 am
daniellew61 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:43:23 am yeah, I wish I could say maybe a retailer is just confused, but none of this is true.

You don't work for Valiant anymore right? I don't believe you'd know, with all respect. My store is telling me they are talking to Valiant higher ups. You're not an Alien person right? Not trying to argue. I'll keep posting what I hear and maybe it ends up being rumors but my store seems pretty confident that the books are priced the way they are telling me and that Valiant higher ups don't like the details of the full plan they've heard so far.
:|

daniellew61

Post by daniellew61 »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:58:45 am

You don't work for Valiant anymore, right? I don't believe you'd know, with all respect. My store is telling me they are talking to Valiant higher-ups. You're not an Alien person, right? Not trying to argue. I'll keep posting what I hear and maybe it ends up being rumors but my store seems pretty confident that the books are priced the way they are telling me and that Valiant higher-ups don't like the details of the full plan they've heard so far.
With all respect, your store isn't talking to anyone, because Valiant "higher up" isn't a thing. :? I would know. If there was actually drama like this I wouldn't post.
What store is this? DM me the store name, if you don't want to post it here, but I am actually more worried your store is talking to an imposter than anything else -I am all for getting excited and having some gossip, but there isn't anyone in a position at Valiant like what you are even describing. Just bologna.

GammaJosh
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:58:45 am You don't work for Valiant anymore right? I don't believe you'd know, with all respect. My store is telling me they are talking to Valiant higher ups. You're not an Alien person right? Not trying to argue. I'll keep posting what I hear and maybe it ends up being rumors but my store seems pretty confident that the books are priced the way they are telling me and that Valiant higher ups don't like the details of the full plan they've heard so far.
Dude, speaking as a licensee, who exactly do you think are the "Valiant higher ups"? There is nobody left except licensing and legal. Neither of them are the type to dig into page lengths or price points very hard, and they damn sure aren't the types to be talking to store owners. There is SO much separation between them and store owners.

Your LCS sources are talking out of their *SQUEE*.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

daniellew61 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:29:06 pm ... I am actually more worried your store is talking to an imposter than anything else ...
To Danielle's point, I have lost count of how many "fake authorities" I've seen in the past two years from every type of business or individual.

Fake social media accounts, fake phone call "representatives", fake emails, fake texts, fake instant messages, it is unbelievable how even the smallest business or individual with any number of followers is being "spoofed" by scammers pretending to be the original. There must be countries whose gross national product is driven by citizens running these scams.

Since the "Nigerian Prince" scams worked on random people through email, it makes sense that all these "I'm a friend of your friend" and "Trust me, I am who I claim to be" scams are working very well through every other platform. Sad, but true.

TimeWillTell

Post by TimeWillTell »

As a member of this board for almost 20 years and as a "Valiant Higher-Up" I can tell you the initial post in this thread is totally false.

And, as I said many, many years ago Time Will Tell.

-W

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

I just hope they have some great stories

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

corey wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:33:38 pm I just hope they have some great stories
I agree.

Maybe my store is being catfished but now I'm a bit alarmed that Valiant has no one "except licensing and legal". What a sad state of affairs. Amazing how badly mismanaged its been since the it was taken over.

daniellew61

Post by daniellew61 »

syzhang28 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:13:50 am
corey wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:33:38 pm I just hope they have some great stories
I agree.

Maybe my store is being catfished but now I'm a bit alarmed that Valiant has no one "except licensing and legal". What a sad state of affairs. Amazing how badly mismanaged its been since the it was taken over.
Well, you should give me your store so I make sure a big Valiant supporter being catfished is on the top of my list for when I do need to do contact stuff, buddy. Unless there was no store, to begin with.
And don't worry about who is working where, just worry about the end product. That's all that matters.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I agree.

Really shows you where their priorities are.

We have been discussing recently Valiant needing to protect how their brand is perceived and that their failure to fulfill their Kickstarter obligations is lowering how the comic buying public are seeing them; in the same way, if someone is catfishing stores as Valiant, it would be in Valiant’s interest to squash these rumours and in our own interest to help Valiant squash these catfish rumours. Tell the name of the store. :thumb:

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

daniellew61 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:10:32 am
I agree.

Well, you should give me your store so I make sure a big Valiant supporter being catfished is on the top of my list for when I do need to do contact stuff, buddy. Unless there was no store, to begin with.
And don't worry about who is working where, just worry about the end product. That's all that matters.
I worry about who is working there because I'd like people who can return to the quality Dinesh brought.

I asked my store if they'd like to be in touch with you and they said they'd they're already in touch with Valiant directly and don't need to go through another company.

I feel compelled to say though, that your bed side manner as a comic book professional is lacking. I've made no acquisition that what you've said isn't true (despite seeing quite a bit of evidence that it is and despite knowing you are financially motivated to) yet here you are doing that with the modicum of authority and power your job imbues. I'm fine with the two people posting emojis about me in your defense because I understand and share their thirst for some honesty and information from Valiant these days (Danielle, where is the kickstarter??) but I know just how many people feel like I do.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Chiclo wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:35:45 pm
I agree.

We have been discussing recently Valiant needing to protect how their brand is perceived and that their failure to fulfill their Kickstarter obligations is lowering how the comic buying public are seeing them; in the same way, if someone is catfishing stores as Valiant, it would be in Valiant’s interest to squash these rumours and in our own interest to help Valiant squash these catfish rumours. Tell the name of the store. :thumb:
I've confirmed its not a catfish. I was shown emails from someone Danielle used to report to. I was told higher ups as I said. Someone said 'time will tell'. I'm sure it will.

slack

Post by slack »

syzhang28 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:06:13 am
Chiclo wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:35:45 pm
I agree.

I've confirmed its not a catfish. I was shown emails from someone Danielle used to report to. I was told higher ups as I said. Someone said 'time will tell'. I'm sure it will.
You sound more full of *SQUEE* with every post.