Alien's VALIANT

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Alien's VALIANT

Post by ManofTheAtom »

What new VALIANT comics do you hope to see from Alien Books, and do you have any preference for who the creative teams should be?

We already know bringing up Solar, Turok, and Magnus is futile, as it might be naming previous creators from the VEI era (though the latter is certainly more likely than the former).

I'd like to see X-O Manowar, Harbinger, Doctor Mirage, Archer & Armstrong, and one of the new VEI Era characters, but who would be a good choice?
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: Alien's VALIANT

Post by Chiclo »

Eternal Warrior, X-O Manowar, Timewalker, the Destroyer. I think Betamax has the potential for some good stories.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:11:35 pm Eternal Warrior, X-O Manowar, Timewalker, the Destroyer. I think Betamax has the potential for some good stories.
Interesting. But the Destroyer is Solar. Nice try, heh.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

Xo ,eternal warrior,livewire,bloodshot

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

Harbinger & Ninjak are my two favourite titles. I'd like to see a continuation of the Eric Heisserer version of Secret Weapons and Livewire. His Secret Weapons was one of the most enjoyable series i've read. Maybe a Unity type event might erase the Vita Ayala storylineforever.

I'd also love to see the Armour Hunters return.
Last edited by The Chosen 1 on Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:35:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

corey wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:23:00 pm Xo ,eternal warrior,livewire,bloodshot
The Chosen 1 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:47:44 pm Harbinger & Ninjak are my two favourite titles. I'd like to see a conitunuation of the Eric Heisserer version of Secret Weapons and Livewire. His Secret Weapons was one of the most enjoyable series i've read. Maybe a Unity type event might erase the Vita Ayala storylineforever.

Cool.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:50:44 pm
Chiclo wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:11:35 pm Eternal Warrior, X-O Manowar, Timewalker, the Destroyer. I think Betamax has the potential for some good stories.
Destroyer could easily be re-imagined as a variant/mirror/off-shoot of Divinity.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:32:00 am What new VALIANT comics do you hope to see from Alien Books, and do you have any preference for who the creative teams should be?
Hardcover collections, including some of the VEI era gaps.

As for creators, people who I think would fit well with being slavish to the VEI and VH1 era teams:

Core titles - ongoing
X-O Manowar - Charles Soule & Esad Ribic
Harbingers (opening up on many other psiots) - Jonathan Hickman & Jerome Opena
Bloodshot - Al Ewing & Chris Weston

Bolstered by a rotating sequence of minis; those that do best (in my imagined Alien publishing plan) coming back within 12 months for a follow up:
Doctor Mirage - Gail Simone & Ryan Sook
Shadowman - Chip Zdarsky & Steve Yeowell
Faith - Gail Simone & Nicola Scott
Divinity event mini series - Hickman & Steve Epting
Unity event mini series - Ewing & Jim Cheung
Eternal Warrior - Ian Edginton & D'Israeli
Timewalker - Ewing & Jamal Igle
Archer & Armstrong - Jed McKay & Doug Braithwaite
We already know bringing up Solar, Turok, and Magnus is futile, as it might be naming previous creators from the VEI era (though the latter is certainly more likely than the former).

I'd like to see X-O Manowar, Harbinger, Doctor Mirage, Archer & Armstrong, and one of the new VEI Era characters, but who would be a good choice?
I think re-establishing the best known 'core' is a must at first, with some of the newer characters being added increasingly as time progresses.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

leonmallett wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:26:57 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:32:00 am What new VALIANT comics do you hope to see from Alien Books, and do you have any preference for who the creative teams should be?
Hardcover collections, including some of the VEI era gaps.

As for creators, people who I think would fit well with being slavish to the VEI and VH1 era teams:

Core titles - ongoing
X-O Manowar - Charles Soule & Esad Ribic
Harbingers (opening up on many other psiots) - Jonathan Hickman & Jerome Opena
Bloodshot - Al Ewing & Chris Weston

Bolstered by a rotating sequence of minis; those that do best (in my imagined Alien publishing plan) coming back within 12 months for a follow up:
Doctor Mirage - Gail Simone & Ryan Sook
Shadowman - Chip Zdarsky & Steve Yeowell
Faith - Gail Simone & Nicola Scott
Divinity event mini series - Hickman & Steve Epting
Unity event mini series - Ewing & Jim Cheung
Eternal Warrior - Ian Edginton & D'Israeli
Timewalker - Ewing & Jamal Igle
Archer & Armstrong - Jed McKay & Doug Braithwaite

I think re-establishing the best known 'core' is a must at first, with some of the newer characters being added increasingly as time progresses.
Cool.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

leonmallett wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:04:31 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:50:44 pm
Destroyer could easily be re-imagined as a variant/mirror/off-shoot of Divinity.
Sure.

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

The Chosen 1 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:47:44 pm Harbinger & Ninjak are my two favourite titles. I'd like to see a conitunuation of the Eric Heisserer version of Secret Weapons and Livewire. His Secret Weapons was one of the most enjoyable series i've read. Maybe a Unity type event might erase the Vita Ayala storylineforever.

Speaking of Armour Hunters, the whereabouts of Archer and Armstrong AND Vine Commander Trill AND Alexander Dorian are all unknown during the Armour Hunters event. Also, as far as I can tell, the elimination of the sonic hellhound thing in New York City was never explained or shown. ALSO the Vine plantings were once listed as an Archer Armstrong conspiracy of interest, but were not really ever mentioned again. All this leads me to wonder what exactly went down in NYC...

But, I humbly propose a Commander Trill one shot. Or, they could reboot Blister from VH1 Shadowman. Everybody would love that! (/sarcasm)
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Oxmyx wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:43:24 am

Speaking of Armour Hunters, the whereabouts of Archer and Armstrong AND Vine Commander Trill AND Alexander Dorian are all unknown during the Armour Hunters event. Also, as far as I can tell, the elimination of the sonic hellhound thing in New York City was never explained or shown. ALSO the Vine plantings were once listed as an Archer Armstrong conspiracy of interest, but were not really ever mentioned again. All this leads me to wonder what exactly went down in NYC...

But, I humbly propose a Commander Trill one shot. Or, they could reboot Blister from VH1 Shadowman. Everybody would love that! (/sarcasm)
Interesting.

Oxmyx
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Blister
Favorite title: Rai and the Future Force
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Wind-Smith

Post by Oxmyx »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:02:13 am
The Chosen 1 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:47:44 pm Harbinger & Ninjak are my two favourite titles.
Speaking of Armour Hunters, the whereabouts ... unknown...All this leads me to wonder what exactly went down in NYC...

Interesting.
At least one guy thinks so, then. Haha
I've been looking everywhere for the ultra-rare Turok vs Blister issue. Anybody able to help me out?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Oxmyx wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:18:17 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:02:13 am
The Chosen 1 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:47:44 pm Harbinger & Ninjak are my two favourite titles.
Speaking of Armour Hunters, the whereabouts ... unknown...All this leads me to wonder what exactly went down in NYC...

Interesting.
At least one guy thinks so, then. Haha
:lol:

I'd like to see them bring back some of the original VALIANT characters, like Lydia.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

I'd like to see the return of classic characters like Lydia, Ken, and Randy from X-O Manowar. And it might also be interesting for Harada's wife from the short story in the Harbinger HC, Noriko, to be introduced and integrated into the new continuity.

Maybe a new variation of the same character who might replace Harada as the big bad, prove herself to be more ruthless and determined than he was.

I'd also like to see characters from VH 2 integrated into VEI continuity.

Donovan Wiley and Renata could be supporting characters in X-O Manowar.

The Troublemakers and Galloway & Galloway could introduce another faction in the looming Corporate Wars.

Even Michael Leroi in his role as an assassin could be integrated into Shadowman as a foil for Jack.

The Chosen 1
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:47:39 pm I'd like to see the return of classic characters like Lydia, Ken, and Randy from X-O Manowar. And it might also be interesting for Harada's wife from the short story in the Harbinger HC, Noriko, to be introduced and integrated into the new continuity.

Maybe a new variation of the same character who might replace Harada as the big bad, prove herself to be more ruthless and determined than he was.

The Troublemakers and Galloway & Galloway could introduce another faction in the looming Corporate Wars.

Even Michael Leroi in his role as an assassin could be integrated into Shadowman as a foil for Jack.
Also Master Darque to return. He is such a great character. He has to potential to be as big as the Joker as a villain. The Valiant Universe needs bigger and badder villains. A hero's story is only as good as the villains they are fighting.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

The Chosen 1 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:57:11 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:47:39 pm I'd like to see the return of classic characters like Lydia, Ken, and Randy from X-O Manowar. And it might also be interesting for Harada's wife from the short story in the Harbinger HC, Noriko, to be introduced and integrated into the new continuity.

Also Master Darque to return. He is such a great character. He has to potential to be as big as the Joker as a villain. The Valiant Universe needs bigger and badder villains. A hero's story is only as good as the villains they are fighting.
Wizard once chose Master Darque as a top villain on one of their lists. I forget which place he got.

gynta
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by gynta »

Jonathan Hickman as main architect of a reimagined Valiant Universe would be a dream come true! His concepts are always well thought out and treat the original material with respect.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

gynta wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:26:49 pm Jonathan Hickman as main architect of a reimagined Valiant Universe would be a dream come true! His concepts are always well thought out and treat the original material with respect.
:thumb:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

gynta wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:26:49 pm Jonathan Hickman as main architect of a reimagined Valiant Universe would be a dream come true! His concepts are always well thought out and treat the original material with respect.
But can he capture what makes VALIANT different from DC and Marvel, or would it just be the same thing they do but with different characters?

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:35:25 pm
But can he capture what makes VALIANT different from DC and Marvel, or would it just be the same thing they do but with different characters?
Having read Hickman's Avengers run, I think his writing is not what would be typically be expected from Marvel books.

His strengths are writing to a well realised sense of scientific possibility, long-form plotting, and introducing new characters. His biggest weakness for me is that few characters are truly developed. That said, i think his style would fit very well with the work of Kindt, Dysart et al.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

leonmallett wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:36:40 am
Having read Hickman's Avengers run, I think his writing is not what would be typically be expected from Marvel books.

His strengths are writing to a well realised sense of scientific possibility, long-form plotting, and introducing new characters. His biggest weakness for me is that few characters are truly developed. That said, i think his style would fit very well with the work of Kindt, Dysart et al.
What about the tenets of the original VALIANT, like world outside your window, hard science, and all that?

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:20:24 am

What about the tenets of the original VALIANT, like world outside your window, hard science, and all that?
He can write grounded and internally logical science.

As for hard science, we will have to agree to disagree that psychic powers, biological super armour with near-limitless energy projection, reincarnation, immortality, and/or death energy etc are hard science. I would agree they were well-realised elements within the VH1 milieu, which is specifically why I wrote that he writes a 'well-realised sense of scientific possibility'. :)

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

leonmallett wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:20:30 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:20:24 am

He can write grounded and internally logical science.

As for hard science, we will have to agree to disagree that psychic powers, biological super armour with near-limitless energy projection, reincarnation, immortality, and/or death energy etc are hard science. I would agree they were well-realised elements within the VH1 milieu, which is specifically why I wrote that he writes a 'well-realised sense of scientific possibility'. :)

:thumb:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I think Hickman or Ewing could definitely write up some awesome Harbinger story arcs that would build nicely off of Dysarts run on both Harbinger & Imperium and even Heisserer’s Secret Weapons. That would be really great to see.

I would also love to see what Ewing might do with Shadowman - his Immortal Hulk run showed he could fuse some tremendous high-concept sci-fi and horror genre ideas together in one.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;