Legacy Numbering

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Legacy Numbering

Post by magnusr »

As an anecdote, it took me a long time to get used to the numbering in the states as we had another system here in Sweden. I grew up with the numbering restarting each year. Basically the comics where numbered after the month in which they were published (or week for weekly comics and so on).

/Magnus

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

magnusr wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:10:05 am As an anecdote, it took me a long time to get used to the numbering in the states as we had another system here in Sweden. I grew up with the numbering restarting each year. Basically the comics where numbered after the month in which they were published (or week for weekly comics and so on).

/Magnus
That's interesting, are comics in Sweden still numbered that way?

I think that's how magazines in the US have always been numbered. Each year was a new Vol.# and if it was monthly they would be 1-12 and then restart each year. And the issue number was never prominently displayed, usually just in the interior indicia.

US Comics in the early days were more like that too, for example with Gold Key the issue number is almost hidden on the first page, it was never a big deal. All of the stories were more or less designed to be self-sufficient and stand-alone, no need for reading them in a sequence or having prior knowledge.

It wasn't until Marvel and Stan Lee started doing more sophisticated continuity that the issue numbers became important. If every story mattered and was part of an ongoing mega-story, then all the sudden the issue numbers and the sequence of the story became important.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Ryan wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:10:33 am That's interesting, are comics in Sweden still numbered that way?
Yes.
It wasn't until Marvel and Stan Lee started doing more sophisticated continuity that the issue numbers became important. If every story mattered and was part of an ongoing mega-story, then all the sudden the issue numbers and the sequence of the story became important.
I see. Interesting.

/Magnus