X-O Manowar Unconquered Prestige 1 Printing Error

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Re: X-O Manowar Unconquered Prestige 1 Printing Error

Post by Ryan »

Chiclo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:09:13 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:52:18 pm
Chiclo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:57:56 pm
corey wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:30:07 pm
daniellew61 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:08:57 am
Chiclo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:23:42 pm

No, this thread is the only place where I have said anything about my new treasure.
Well, the other 1 other declined my offer, but as I said to him, we're happy to send you an additional error-free one if you want to DM me your address. :)

CHICLO.. you better NOT!! :high-five:
Better not give out my address to strangers online? I agree. :o
Danielle has mine and I'm confident she can be trusted. She was kind enough to send me some comics too.
I think the last physical thing I got direct from Valiant was the X-O Hardcover and that was around when I moved so VEI might not have my current address. :þ
This is why I think the board discussions were much better back in the day when this was only a fan board. Just like in the VEI days, when half the posters were insiders, everyone is afraid to be critical for fear of losing their insider status.

I think that fans who are willing to give a discerning and critical assessment of the material actually care more about Valiant. We all have the same goal of wanting Valiant to be making the top comics in the industry again, because we know they're capable of it.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:57:50 pm
Well, the other 1 other declined my offer, but as I said to him, we're happy to send you an additional error-free one if you want to DM me your address. :)

Danielle has mine and I'm confident she can be trusted. She was kind enough to send me some comics too.
I think the last physical thing I got direct from Valiant was the X-O Hardcover and that was around when I moved so VEI might not have my current address. :þ
This is why I think the board discussions were much better back in the day when this was only a fan board. Just like in the VEI days, when half the posters were insiders, everyone is afraid to be critical for fear of losing their insider status.

I think that fans who are willing to give a discerning and critical assessment of the material actually care more about Valiant. We all have the same goal of wanting Valiant to be making the top comics in the industry again, because we know they're capable of it.
It's good to have people from VALIANT here. We went a long time without any because there was no VALIANT.

Walter Black was really the only one from Acclaim that joined the board. I think Gomez may have contributed for a while, but I don't recall him being a regular.

I wasn't here when the VEI people from Dinesh's time were here, but I like having people from Alien post here.

i wish they'd do it more regularly. I see them post on Facebook, both on the Alien and VALIANT Fans group, and wish they'd post the same thing here.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:02:23 am
Ryan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:57:50 pm

It's good to have people from VALIANT here. We went a long time without any because there was no VALIANT.

Walter Black was really the only one from Acclaim that joined the board. I think Gomez may have contributed for a while, but I don't recall him being a regular.

I wasn't here when the VEI people from Dinesh's time were here, but I like having people from Alien post here.

i wish they'd do it more regularly. I see them post on Facebook, both on the Alien and VALIANT Fans group, and wish they'd post the same thing here.
I disagree. This board should be for the fans. If people want to engage with and become friends with Valiant employees there's plenty of places like facebook and twitter where those interactions can be made.

Instead of free and open discussion about the comics we have a few people who are willing to give their honest opinions and the majority who's goal seems to be becoming friends with or currying favor with Valiant employees.

Look it's not my board, so do whatever you want. I'm just saying in my opinion the board was much better and more lively when open discussions could be had without fear of offending everyone who has a personal relationship with Valiant employees.

Honestly it would be better for Valiant as well if there was a place where long-time fans who still care passionately about these characters had a place to express their true and unfiltered opinions.

At the very least, people who's main priority is developing friendships with Valiant employees shouldn't engage in discussions about the comics pretending to be unbiased.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:54:43 am I disagree. This board should be for the fans. If people want to engage with and become friends with Valiant employees there's plenty of places like facebook and twitter where those interactions can be made.

Instead of free and open discussion about the comics we have a few people who are willing to give their honest opinions and the majority who's goal seems to be becoming friends with or currying favor with Valiant employees.

Look it's not my board, so do whatever you want. I'm just saying in my opinion the board was much better and more lively when open discussions could be had without fear of offending everyone who has a personal relationship with Valiant employees.

Honestly it would be better for Valiant as well if there was a place where long-time fans who still care passionately about these characters had a place to express their true and unfiltered opinions.

At the very least, people who's main priority is developing friendships with Valiant employees shouldn't engage in discussions about the comics pretending to be unbiased.
The problem seems to be those that want freebies by becoming friendly with the people that make the comics, not that the people that make them come here.

I think we, and they, can easily discern the *SQUEE* kissers from the real fans.

VALIANT's main problem is that its fandom has ALWAYS been divided between collectors and readers.

The former are the ones who believe that VALIANT's worth is in the resale value of the comics, while the latter know that its worth is in the actual writing.

That, unfortunately, may never change. It is the legacy of the '90s.

As for providing unfiltered opinions and such, I haven't been here for a while, but you know I've never filtered myself when it comes to criticizing VALIANT or Acclaim when they've done something boneheaded.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:50:02 am The problem seems to be those that want freebies by becoming friendly with the people that make the comics, not that the people that make them come here.

I think we, and they, can easily discern the *SQUEE* kissers from the real fans.

VALIANT's main problem is that its fandom has ALWAYS been divided between collectors and readers.

The former are the ones who believe that VALIANT's worth is in the resale value of the comics, while the latter know that its worth is in the actual writing.

I hear that. Which is why one of the things VEI got wrong (IMO) was catering even more to the collectors with what I think of as 'predatory publishing practices'. Excessive variant covers, forced scarcity, and marketing gimmicks that don't add real value to the average customer.

I do think people can be readers and collectors, but I agree that placing so much focus on the gimmicks and collectability is a bad long-term plan. No one ever remembers the lesson that the whole reason pre-Unity Valiant became so valuable on the collector's market was because people wanted to read them.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:50:02 am As for providing unfiltered opinions and such, I haven't been here for a while, but you know I've never filtered myself when it comes to criticizing VALIANT or Acclaim when they've done something boneheaded.
There's only like what, 20 or maybe at tops 50 people who frequent this board? The value they offer to Valiant, for free, is a wealth of knowledge and experience in regards to the Valiant characters and comics history. Some of it may be misguided or whatever but as a whole there's a ton of things that could be pulled out of the people's experience on here to make Valiant comics better.

For instance, as soon as whoever took over after Dinesh, the first thing to do would be to try and thoroughly assess what succeeded and what didn't. They put out so many books that were read by a lot of people, that's a ton of data points to learn from and grow from.

I would've sought out some of the hardcore readers, especially ones who had fallen off of it, and gathered as much as possible from them about what they liked and what they didn't. I'm sure after talking to a number of these people (and reading the boards, etc) some trends would emerge. It doesn't mean they have to follow everything the fans say, but at least it would give a better understanding of what their customers are looking for.

The same should be done after every series launch. It's just normal good business practices. It's crazy that DMG will invest the 10's to 100's of thousands of dollars it takes to produce a comic book but won't seem to actually invest in understanding what their readers want.

I get that artists and writers can be sensitive to criticism since their work feels personal to them. They shouldn't take criticism of the work personally but I get it. But it's different for the leadership of a company. They should always be seeking out a wide range of opinions on what they produce, assessing the data and using it to learn and grow with each project. Honest, informed opinions (even if critical) should be treated as valuable to a tiny company in a tiny industry.

There's a ton of smart people on this board. It should be encouraged that everyone gives their honest, thoughtful opinions if they choose to. People shouldn't be bullied or blackballed because they validly don't like something.

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

Hmmm I think both of your types of vailant collectors are tied together in some way..I have every hardcover of almost every series(missing 2 or 3?)

I buy hardcovers to read..I collect comics for my love of them. And the more rare they are or errors ,I want them more..I don't care about resale, because I never sell.

Would I be a collector if the stories were trash? Hell no.

Hence why I stopped reading most of this junk until last year. That's only because I reread the hardcovers.

So what I'm trying to say is. The resellers as you call them, would never be there if the comic stories were not good

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:49:40 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:50:02 am As for providing unfiltered opinions and such, I haven't been here for a while, but you know I've never filtered myself when it comes to criticizing VALIANT or Acclaim when they've done something boneheaded.
There's only like what, 20 or maybe at tops 50 people who frequent this board? The value they offer to Valiant, for free, is a wealth of knowledge and experience in regards to the Valiant characters and comics history. Some of it may be misguided or whatever but as a whole there's a ton of things that could be pulled out of the people's experience on here to make Valiant comics better.

For instance, as soon as whoever took over after Dinesh, the first thing to do would be to try and thoroughly assess what succeeded and what didn't. They put out so many books that were read by a lot of people, that's a ton of data points to learn from and grow from.

I would've sought out some of the hardcore readers, especially ones who had fallen off of it, and gathered as much as possible from them about what they liked and what they didn't. I'm sure after talking to a number of these people (and reading the boards, etc) some trends would emerge. It doesn't mean they have to follow everything the fans say, but at least it would give a better understanding of what their customers are looking for.

The same should be done after every series launch. It's just normal good business practices. It's crazy that DMG will invest the 10's to 100's of thousands of dollars it takes to produce a comic book but won't seem to actually invest in understanding what their readers want.

I get that artists and writers can be sensitive to criticism since their work feels personal to them. They shouldn't take criticism of the work personally but I get it. But it's different for the leadership of a company. They should always be seeking out a wide range of opinions on what they produce, assessing the data and using it to learn and grow with each project. Honest, informed opinions (even if critical) should be treated as valuable to a tiny company in a tiny industry.

There's a ton of smart people on this board. It should be encouraged that everyone gives their honest, thoughtful opinions if they choose to. People shouldn't be bullied or blackballed because they validly don't like something.
Of course. And by having people from VALIANT/Alien come here, they can see that feedback.

Clearly, they visit the Facebook page and interact with fans there.

Many of those fans don't come here and many who come here don't go there. It's good when people like Ward and MartinAlien take the time to come here and interact with us.

I wish there was more substance to that, as in a cordial and pleasant exchange of feedback without an unwarranted negativity and toxicity.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

corey wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:06:21 pm Hmmm I think both of your types of vailant collectors are tied together in some way..I have every hardcover of almost every series(missing 2 or 3?)

I buy hardcovers to read..I collect comics for my love of them. And the more rare they are or errors ,I want them more..I don't care about resale, because I never sell.

Hence why I stopped reading most of this junk until last year. That's only because I reread the hardcovers.

So what I'm trying to say is. The resellers as you call them, would never be there if the comic stories were not good
In some ways yes, but in others not so much. Resellers are the speculators, the ones that bought VALIANT thinking they could later resell them for more money than they spent. They're still around, unfortunately.

Recently, I saw a guy who is a new collector over on the Facebook page asking about where he could find VH 1 comics to read. In an ideal world, those people that are readers but also purchased double or triple copies of those old comics and, by some miracle, still have them three decades later, will be able to help them out.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

corey wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:06:21 pm Hmmm I think both of your types of vailant collectors are tied together in some way..I have every hardcover of almost every series(missing 2 or 3?)

In some ways yes, but in others not so much. Resellers are the speculators, the ones that bought VALIANT thinking they could later resell them for more money than they spent. They're still around, unfortunately.

Recently, I saw a guy who is a new collector over on the Facebook page asking about where he could find VH 1 comics to read. In an ideal world, those people that are readers but also purchased double or triple copies of those old comics and, by some miracle, still have them three decades later, will be able to help them out.

daniellew61
Still Valiant after all these years.
Still Valiant after all these years.

Post by daniellew61 »

Ryan wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:19:16 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:50:02 am The problem seems to be those that want freebies by becoming friendly with the people that make the comics, not that the people that make them come here.

I hear that. Which is why one of the things VEI got wrong (IMO) was catering even more to the collectors with what I think of as 'predatory publishing practices'. Excessive variant covers, forced scarcity, and marketing gimmicks that don't add real value to the average customer.

I do think people can be readers and collectors, but I agree that placing so much focus on the gimmicks and collectability is a bad long-term plan. No one ever remembers the lesson that the whole reason pre-Unity Valiant became so valuable on the collector's market was because people wanted to read them.
Agreed!!!

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:02:11 pm Of course. And by having people from VALIANT/Alien come here, they can see that feedback.

Many of those fans don't come here and many who come here don't go there. It's good when people like Ward and MartinAlien take the time to come here and interact with us.

I wish there was more substance to that, as in a cordial and pleasant exchange of feedback without an unwarranted negativity and toxicity.
I agree in the sense that the people at Valiant/Alien should care about what the fans think, both on here and other places.

The problem is when their presence makes everyone super sensitive and taking offense to anything deemed to be 'negative'. Like when syzhang doesn't like the art on the cover of the fcbd book and then people gang up and attack him. Criticizing or not liking something about the comics should not be automatically deemed as toxic.

Just like watching a movie and expressing a negative opinion about it doesn't make someone toxic. Diverse opinions are what fuel discussion, we could use more of it on here.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Ryan wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:22:05 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:02:11 pm Of course. And by having people from VALIANT/Alien come here, they can see that feedback.

I agree in the sense that the people at Valiant/Alien should care about what the fans think, both on here and other places.

The problem is when their presence makes everyone super sensitive and taking offense to anything deemed to be 'negative'. Like when syzhang doesn't like the art on the cover of the fcbd book and then people gang up and attack him. Criticizing or not liking something about the comics should not be automatically deemed as toxic.

Just like watching a movie and expressing a negative opinion about it doesn't make someone toxic. Diverse opinions are what fuel discussion, we could use more of it on here.
BURN THE WITCH

corey
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

100 % agree.

And I did agree with zyzhang about that cover.. was pure dog 💩

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Yeah, but he could be tempered on his feedback to. He comes off as angry.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:17:41 pm

I get that, but some of the people who go after him have some anger as well. It's just message boards, look at some of the old threads as you know :lol: I'd rather read peoples real opinions even if it comes off a bit abrasive.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:01:06 pm

I get that, but some of the people who go after him have some anger as well. It's just message boards, look at some of the old threads as you know :lol: I'd rather read peoples real opinions even if it comes off a bit abrasive.
There's good people on both sides...

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:04:57 pm

We're all on the same side though.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:12:05 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:04:57 pm

We're all on the same side though.
Yeah.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:32:35 am Yeah, but he could be tempered on his feedback to. He comes off as angry.
To me, people being angry isn't a problem. It shows passion and caring. If people really love these characters then many of the comics from DMG over the past 6 years should make people angry. Or at least frustrated and disappointed.

The real problem is when people go from angry to indifference. When people stop caring altogether is when the party's over.

Take Eternal Warrior Scorched Earth for example. The books have been out for a while and not a single review on this site. If people didn't like it, I would much rather see a bunch of angry, scathing reviews than complete silence.

I think it's better for the message board and for Alien if people are encouraged to give unfiltered, honest opinions. Instead of the kissing up, ingratiating behavior that leads people to bully others who have a negative opinion about the comics.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:38:06 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:32:35 am Yeah, but he could be tempered on his feedback to. He comes off as angry.
To me, people being angry isn't a problem. It shows passion and caring. If people really love these characters then many of the comics from DMG over the past 6 years should make people angry. Or at least frustrated and disappointed.

The real problem is when people go from angry to indifference. When people stop caring altogether is when the party's over.

Take Eternal Warrior Scorched Earth for example. The books have been out for a while and not a single review on this site. If people didn't like it, I would much rather see a bunch of angry, scathing reviews than complete silence.

I think it's better for the message board and for Alien if people are encouraged to give unfiltered, honest opinions. Instead of the kissing up, ingratiating behavior that leads people to bully others who have a negative opinion about the comics.
That is the ultimate irony. After all of that, no one is actually talking about it.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Ryan wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:38:06 am

Here is a single review:
http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewto ... 0#p1122140

I think there might be another one from around the time the digital file was sent to Kickstarter backers.

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

I'm one of those guys that go after him. It's not anger, but I get frustrated with his continual negative posts and he's just so happy to tell us all how bad it is and how Danielle and Martin have no idea what they are talking about. He's rude and gaslights the people from Alien who come on here to interact with the fans. And if you say someone back to him, he plays the victim. Read over his posts, he's just a rude caustic non fan. Is his life really that bad that he's cheering for failure?

I don't mind people having different opinions, but he comes off like a 12 year old kid who just says what he wants without thinking it through properly.

I'm glad Danielle and Martin come on here to interact with us. I actually like hearing little bits of information that het me excited for what they are doing.
Last edited by The Chosen 1 on Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:35:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

corey wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:32:51 pm

But I don't need your address.... you are sending me the error for my valiant error collection...I'm sending you subliminal messages.now.....prepare to ship
What about this chromium-less Bloodshot 0 that just showed up at my house? :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

The Chosen 1 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:19:46 pm I'm one of those guys that go after him. It's not anger, but I get frustrated with his continual negative posts and he's just so happy to tell us all how bad it is and how Danielle and Martin have no idea what they are talking about. He's rude and gaslights the people from Alien who come on here to interact with the fans. And if you say someone back to him, he plays the victim. Read over his posts, he's just a rude caustic non fan. Is his life really that bad that he's cheering for failure?

I don't mind people having different opinions, but he comes off like a 12 year old kid who just says what he wants without thinking it through properly.

I'm glad Danielle and Martin come on here to interact with us. I actually like hearing little bits of information that het me excited for what they are doing.
Fair enough. I just think the ganging up on gets a little out of hand at times, when ignoring a snide comment is usually the better option. I get it though, sometimes it goes too far.

I will say all the people from Alien seem to have their hearts in the right place. That didn't always seem to be the case before. I feel like it will still be an uphill battle to get a lot of traction in the comics market, but we can all hope for the best and try to have a positive outlook without being sycophantic.