So my girl started reading Unity

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Re: So my girl started reading Unity

Post by ManofTheAtom »

The VALIANT Universe is, by its very nature, paradoxical. That is why Erica hates Phil.

Magnus' 4001 is the present, not the future, while Solar's 1991 is the past, not the present.

In this sense, the effect (Magnus, North Am, etc.) preceded the cause (Solar recreating the universe).

First thing we must accept is that Phil Seleski exists in the same reality as Manning's Magnus from the '60s, and his having read the Doctor Solar comics as a kid is secondary to that.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

jakgrimm wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:33:13 am Haha amazing! If I'm not mistaken in VH1 Magnus references some adventures he had that took place in his GK books! I gotta find good examples but one I think is his coming across evil genius MYXplx, whatever his name is that has the Evil mustatch
Yes, several elements from Gold Key are reused. The Malevs being the most notable. Issue 26 retells much of the history.

/Magnus

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Ryan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:15:34 am What about the Dr. Solar issues from the 80's that had Magnus backup stories? What were those backup stories in the Valiant universe versions of Dr. Solar comics? Just blank pages? :hm: :hm: :lol:
:hm:

Or those issues didn't exist? I suspect that Valiant didn't look at them. Senator Clane was supposed to have another first name in those stories than the one Valiant used.

/Magnus

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

jakgrimm wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:33:13 am
Haha amazing! If I'm not mistaken in VH1 Magnus references some adventures he had that took place in his GK books! I gotta find good examples but one I think is his coming across evil genius MYXplx, whatever his name is that has the Evil mustatch
Definitely. Magnus was made as a direct continuation of the Gold Key series, thus taking place in the year 4001 after GK Magnus was in 4000. They ignored some of the campy elements of the GK series, but it's all canon in VH1.

Dude Xyrkol is the best, such a classic villain. Myxplx is the superman villain :)
Screenshot 2024-02-08 215128.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ryan on Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:00:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

magnusr wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:05:03 pm
Ryan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:15:34 am What about the Dr. Solar issues from the 80's that had Magnus backup stories? What were those backup stories in the Valiant universe versions of Dr. Solar comics? Just blank pages? :hm: :hm: :lol:
:hm:

Or those issues didn't exist? I suspect that Valiant didn't look at them. Senator Clane was supposed to have another first name in those stories than the one Valiant used.

/Magnus
Yeah you're probably right, since those Magnus stories contradicted the Russ Manning Magnus stories they weren't canon in VH1 or comics that Phil would have read.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:37:18 am The VALIANT Universe is, by its very nature, paradoxical. That is why Erica hates Phil.

Magnus' 4001 is the present, not the future, while Solar's 1991 is the past, not the present.

In this sense, the effect (Magnus, North Am, etc.) preceded the cause (Solar recreating the universe).

First thing we must accept is that Phil Seleski exists in the same reality as Manning's Magnus from the '60s, and his having read the Doctor Solar comics as a kid is secondary to that.
Interesting points.

I think what you're saying about time also relates to how time was explained in Vh1 as not being a straight line, more like a circular hurricane with the Lost Land being the calm eye of the storm in the middle, the one place where time was absolute. I think that was explained by Erica in Unity? I'll have to try to find it.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:11:27 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:37:18 am The VALIANT Universe is, by its very nature, paradoxical. That is why Erica hates Phil.

Interesting points.

I think what you're saying about time also relates to how time was explained in Vh1 as not being a straight line, more like a circular hurricane with the Lost Land being the calm eye of the storm in the middle, the one place where time was absolute. I think that was explained by Erica in Unity? I'll have to try to find it.
Yes, it was.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

jakgrimm
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by jakgrimm »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:48:44 am

Interesting points.

Yes, it was.
That is an amazing way to look at it. Phil knew of Magnus and made him, and himself as the hero.

As for the Lost land being absolute, that was debunked in Chaos effect. Geoff goes back to the lost land before Unity begins. A war is coming....
Time to take a dump. -Torque

jakgrimm

Post by jakgrimm »

They do say the lost land is a part of the backstage of reality that is the most sluggish. That can mean its possible to go to an earlier time in the lost land. Unity has some contradictory points on this but that can just be the 'error' of the people talking.

Like Erica telling the Slug that from whatever time period the heroes originate they arrive here in our present just to shut him up and stop asking so many questions you literal big baby.

Even though it's not exactly true

jakgrimm

Post by jakgrimm »

Ryan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:57:20 pm
jakgrimm wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:33:13 am
Haha amazing! If I'm not mistaken in VH1 Magnus references some adventures he had that took place in his GK books! I gotta find good examples but one I think is his coming across evil genius MYXplx, whatever his name is that has the Evil mustatch
Definitely. Magnus was made as a direct continuation of the Gold Key series, thus taking place in the year 4001 after GK Magnus was in 4000. They ignored some of the campy elements of the GK series, but it's all canon in VH1.

Dude Xyrkol is the best, such a classic villain. Myxplx is the superman villain :)

Screenshot 2024-02-08 215128.png

Haha I know, I just got carried away with the button mashing :wink:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

jakgrimm wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:41:09 am

Interesting points.

Yes, it was.
That is an amazing way to look at it. Phil knew of Magnus and made him, and himself as the hero.

As for the Lost land being absolute, that was debunked in Chaos effect. Geoff goes back to the lost land before Unity begins. A war is coming....
I don't know if Phil made Magnus since Magnus was not fictional before Phil went back in time.

Clark Kent and Thor were since both were referenced in Alpha & Omega. By extension of the latter, so was Iron Man, and we saw how that went...

jakgrimm

Post by jakgrimm »

So Solar got his name from Thor comics? The Polish sun god...

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

jakgrimm wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:41:09 am

Interesting points.

Yes, it was.

Yeah if it's the only place that time absolute, how could it have been destroyed without destroying the universe? I loved when they brought the Lost land back at the end of Chaos effect, too bad nothing much ever came of it and the wheels started to come off the Valiant train soon after.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

jakgrimm wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:46:35 am They do say the lost land is a part of the backstage of reality that is the most sluggish. That can mean its possible to go to an earlier time in the lost land. Unity has some contradictory points on this but that can just be the 'error' of the people talking.

Like Erica telling the Slug that from whatever time period the heroes originate they arrive here in our present just to shut him up and stop asking so many questions you literal big baby.

Even though it's not exactly true
I feel like all the lost land and time stuff makes sense in a certain way, but like most time travel in comics it starts to fall apart if you analyze it too much.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:04:22 am
I don't know if Phil made Magnus since Magnus was not fictional before Phil went back in time.

Clark Kent and Thor were since both were referenced in Alpha & Omega. By extension of the latter, so was Iron Man, and we saw how that went...
So you're saying VH0 was really just VH1 all along, Solar just time traveled to prevent himself from destroying the world? But on some level that destruction did happen, because it created the huge influx of Necromantic (Darque) Energy that caused many of the supernatural things in Vh1.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:44:55 am

So you're saying VH0 was really just VH1 all along, Solar just time traveled to prevent himself from destroying the world? But on some level that destruction did happen, because it created the huge influx of Necromantic (Darque) Energy that caused many of the supernatural things in Vh1.
No. VH-0 was OUR world, in which the only fictional characters were the ones at the Edgewater reactor.

When Phil went back in time, he broke the world and turned it into the VALIANT Universe, a world in which immortals and Harbingers existed.

But since Magnus is the present and not the future, it was a predestination paradox. It was always meant to happen.

Solar's appearance in Magnus #6 was concurrent with the publication of Solar #4, the end of the Second Death arc.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

jakgrimm wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:27:24 am So Solar got his name from Thor comics? The Polish sun god...
Well, the Doctor Solar comics were not mentioned in the Alpha and Omega serial, which was odd.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:49:41 pm

No. VH-0 was OUR world, in which the only fictional characters were the ones at the Edgewater reactor.

When Phil went back in time, he broke the world and turned it into the VALIANT Universe, a world in which immortals and Harbingers existed.

But since Magnus is the present and not the future, it was a predestination paradox. It was always meant to happen.

Solar's appearance in Magnus #6 was concurrent with the publication of Solar #4, the end of the Second Death arc.
:hm: :thumb:

jakgrimm

Post by jakgrimm »

I don't understand why you say Magnus is the present. 4001, 4020 Magnus?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

jakgrimm wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:13:00 pm

I don't understand why you say Magnus is the present. 4001, 4020 Magnus?
Correct. Since Magnus was the first comic VALIANT published, that means that 4001 is the present day and the '90s are the past.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Erica was at one time in the same 1992 as Solar. Then she planned for 2000 years and went to the Lost land in 4001 to start Unity. When Solar entered the Lost Land from 1992 it was the same time in the Lost Land as when Erica went in 2000 years later.

So the only 'real' time was the Lost Land time. Everything else was happening simultaneously, in theory, although that's not physically possible. Really it was more like 2 specific time periods were simultaneously activated and had the ability to enter the Lost Land at that specific time that would be a 3rd simultaneous 'present' time.

If all people from all times could have entered the Lost Land and it still been the same Lost Land 'present' time then they would have been able to have multiple versions of every hero all from different points in time. Instead only one hero does this, Gilad from 4001 and 1992.

So it seems to me that there were only 3 simultaneous 'present times' in VH1 that could all affect each other. 1991, 4001, and the Lost Land time that was the neutral present time where both of the other 2 could meet and co-exist. :hm:

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Ryan wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:27:48 am So it seems to me that there were only 3 simultaneous 'present times' in VH1 that could all affect each other. 1991, 4001, and the Lost Land time that was the neutral present time where both of the other 2 could meet and co-exist. :hm:
There were other times when people entered the Lost Land, Turok being the prime example, but it sure seems to be something special with 1991 and 4001.

Found this with Google:
http://www.valiantfans.com/vctimeline/v ... ne_app.pdf

/Magnus

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:27:48 am Erica was at one time in the same 1992 as Solar. Then she planned for 2000 years and went to the Lost land in 4001 to start Unity. When Solar entered the Lost Land from 1992 it was the same time in the Lost Land as when Erica went in 2000 years later.

So the only 'real' time was the Lost Land time. Everything else was happening simultaneously, in theory, although that's not physically possible. Really it was more like 2 specific time periods were simultaneously activated and had the ability to enter the Lost Land at that specific time that would be a 3rd simultaneous 'present' time.

If all people from all times could have entered the Lost Land and it still been the same Lost Land 'present' time then they would have been able to have multiple versions of every hero all from different points in time. Instead only one hero does this, Gilad from 4001 and 1992.

So it seems to me that there were only 3 simultaneous 'present times' in VH1 that could all affect each other. 1991, 4001, and the Lost Land time that was the neutral present time where both of the other 2 could meet and co-exist. :hm:
See, when Solar entered the Lost Land Erica had already been there for some time. So, they didn't all enter at the same time.

When Magnus visited the Lost Land prior to Unity, was there any mention of Mothergod or her Rainbow Tower? Any indication of her robots or their presence overall? I cannot recall offhand if there was.

Likewise, if we accept that the Turok Gold Key issues are canonical, like the timeline that magnusr posted indicates, then we must also accept that, one, Erica's tower was not present when Turok and Andar roamed the Lost Land, and, two, that Tuork and Andar entered the Lost Land LONG before she, Magnus, and Solar did, which shows that time does pass there.

If time didn't exist, then all of them, including Turok and Andar, would have entered the Lost Land at the same time. But, clearly, Turok had been there longer than any of them.
magnusr wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:30:15 am
Ryan wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:27:48 am So it seems to me that there were only 3 simultaneous 'present times' in VH1 that could all affect each other. 1991, 4001, and the Lost Land time that was the neutral present time where both of the other 2 could meet and co-exist. :hm:
There were other times when people entered the Lost Land, Turok being the prime example, but it sure seems to be something special with 1991 and 4001.

Found this with Google:

/Magnus

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

magnusr wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:30:15 am There were other times when people entered the Lost Land, Turok being the prime example, but it sure seems to be something special with 1991 and 4001.

Found this with Google:

/Magnus
Great info, will check that out. Yeah you're right people did enter the Lost Land from different times, but more rarely. Something made 1991 and 4001 special in terms of access to the Lost Land. :hm:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:01:41 am See, when Solar entered the Lost Land Erica had already been there for some time. So, they didn't all enter at the same time.

When Magnus visited the Lost Land prior to Unity, was there any mention of Mothergod or her Rainbow Tower? Any indication of her robots or their presence overall? I cannot recall offhand if there was.
No, I'm almost certain there wasn't. I'll double check Magnus 12 though.
ManofTheAtom wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:01:41 am Likewise, if we accept that the Turok Gold Key issues are canonical, like the timeline that magnusr posted indicates, then we must also accept that, one, Erica's tower was not present when Turok and Andar roamed the Lost Land, and, two, that Tuork and Andar entered the Lost Land LONG before she, Magnus, and Solar did, which shows that time does pass there.

If time didn't exist, then all of them, including Turok and Andar, would have entered the Lost Land at the same time. But, clearly, Turok had been there longer than any of them.
Yeah, for sure. So one thing is that time passes much slower there ('sluggish'). That doesn't fully explain how different time periods can access the Lost Land yet still remain simultaneous. Like what is the relation between how time passes in the Lost Land vs. how it passes in the outer timelines, and how is it determined how much time has passed when crossing between?