Just not feeling it anymore

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Re: Just not feeling it anymore

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:01:08 pm
Chiclo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:54:02 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:49:11 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:44:10 pm Yeah, you're just not getting Valiant.
:lol: :lol:
What? You want a goat on first name basis with some other comic types? Maybe the Guardians of the Galaxy? X-Men 2099?
Heh.

When I wrote the Wiki for VALIANT Entertainment's original site, I read E V E R Y S I N G L E VALIANT comics at least four or five times. Each and every single one of them.

I spent days going through them to get as much information as I could about every individual character to create their individual entries, as well as translate the art and dialogue in each panel into entries for the series summaries.

I could have written essays about it if I had felt so inclined to do so. If I knew how to write one, that is, heh.

And that's just the number of times I read them for that specific assignment. That doesn't count the number of times I read them before it just as a fan. So, at the very least, I read each VH 1 comic, maybe over half a dozen times.

My Alpha & Omega trade broke in my hands from how often I read it, heh.
Doesn't mean you understood it. I'm sure you love it. I'm also now sure you want it to be something you wish to write. You're a struggling or wannabe writer who hasn't had the courage to publish anything. Close?

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

syzhang28 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:44:10 pm Yeah, you're just not getting Valiant.
What? You want a goat on first name basis with some other comic types? Maybe the Guardians of the Galaxy? X-Men 2099?
Honestly, kinda have no problem with that. The goat is a great character and those of types of stories are welcome in Valiant imo. They don't all have to be that way but why stop them when you have a character that opens the universe up to that.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Ryan wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:49:00 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:47:08 pm Exactly. The lowest point in VH1 fandom was around 1999-2002. While the books were coming out but they were at their worst. Bad books will make it hard to remember why you like the characters. Until DMG/Alien finally dies and we can put a box around this VEI-Alien run we can't start to say this was good and that was bad and move into a place where we start to engage again with the good stuff.
Yeah good points. The only problem is, it's hard to assume that what comes after DMG will be better or that there will be anything (comics-wise) at all if DMG fails. At the very least Alien seems to be an improvement over DMG in that there's maybe more of an effort to give the fans what they want, which they assume to be a continuation of VEI and comics in the Kindt/VEI style. (I also might be assuming far too much based on a flip through :lol: )

All I'm saying is everyone who still wants Valiant comics to be a thing should give their support to this new Alien venture, and then maybe if there are things us fans really don't like about it they'll be more open to listening. I still think it'll be an uphill battle to gain traction in the comics market after so many relaunches of these characters, but hey they're giving it a shot.
100% agree. Everyone who loves Valiant should support. I was just walking through my opinion on why that isn't happening. The more we talk about it though the more it might happen as people get engaged.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Heh.

When I wrote the Wiki for VALIANT Entertainment's original site, I read E V E R Y S I N G L E VALIANT comics at least four or five times. Each and every single one of them.

I spent days going through them to get as much information as I could about every individual character to create their individual entries, as well as translate the art and dialogue in each panel into entries for the series summaries.

I could have written essays about it if I had felt so inclined to do so. If I knew how to write one, that is, heh.

And that's just the number of times I read them for that specific assignment. That doesn't count the number of times I read them before it just as a fan. So, at the very least, I read each VH 1 comic, maybe over half a dozen times.

Also, you mention this one tiny thing you did a decade ago over and over. It's not a good look. It sounds like menial work, borderline fanzine content.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

myron wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:17:29 am
depluto wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:15:38 am I love this thread. Didn’t think I would when I started.
Reminder of days gone by :twisted:
This thread is legit better written than any Valiant comic that DMG or Alien have put out.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:48:34 am
Heh.

Doesn't mean you understood it. I'm sure you love it. I'm also now sure you want it to be something you wish to write. You're a struggling or wannabe writer who hasn't had the courage to publish anything. Close?
In case it's unclear. I say this with love. If Alien were smart, they'd have you write a book, or even just a one shot. They'd sell more than they are now and they'd have someone that cares.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:53:25 am
Heh.

Also, you mention this one tiny thing you did a decade ago over and over. It's not a good look. It sounds like menial work, borderline fanzine content.
There was nothing menial about it, lol
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Heh.

I've had several short stories published, and I'm currently the editor in chief of Golden Bell Entertainment's comic book imprint, Golden Liberty Comics.

The pandemic derailed a lot of what we're doing, otherwise we might have published stuff by now.

So, no. You are nowhere near close to anything.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:55:19 am
In case it's unclear. I say this with love. If Alien were smart, they'd have you write a book, or even just a one shot. They'd sell more than they are now and they'd have someone that cares.
No, it was not clear, heh.

I wouldn't be against pitching them something, for sure.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Arguably, one of the most important examples of how the tone of VALIANT's comics differed from that of DC and Marvel and made them more grounded was that Phil Seleski -- an energy God struggling to retain his humanity -- regularly met with a psychologist.

That sort of anchor kept him grounded because it made him more human. It showed that the series was not about a man with God-like power, it was about a God with man-made neuroses.

Then you had Magnus trying to understand whether he was man or machine, a very valid question given he was brought up by a robot and he could made his hands strong as steel.

Those sorts of questions are not found in average comic books. Byrne's Superman tackled similar themes as Magnus. Is he Clark or is he Kal-El? That sort of thing.

The contrast to that is slop like All Star Superman and VH-2, urgh.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:31:07 am
syzhang28 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:53:25 am
Heh.

There was nothing menial about it, lol
Explain. It sounds like the definition of menial. You read the comics and wrote summaries. What's not menial. Menial doesn't mean it wasn't time consuming. Menial means it doesn't require much skill (here the skills are reading and summarizing, pretty basic high school fare) and its not highly regarded. I don't think anyone would argue the task was not prestigious.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:32:42 am
Heh.

I've had several short stories published, and I'm currently the editor in chief of Golden Bell Entertainment's comic book imprint, Golden Liberty Comics.

The pandemic derailed a lot of what we're doing, otherwise we might have published stuff by now.

So, no. You are nowhere near close to anything.
I just googled Golden Liberty Comics and it looks like I hit the bullseye. Forget writing, you haven't even updated your facebook page since 2019. There's nothing wrong but being a struggling want-to-be writer. Every writer starts exactly where you are. Don't give up. But also don't pretend you're something you're not. Ego will only prevent you achieving your goals. Own where you are so you can best take the next step. Pretend you are further along and you'll be chasing a step you're not ready for.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:33:50 am
syzhang28 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:55:19 am
No, it was not clear, heh.

I wouldn't be against pitching them something, for sure.
Lets see if they'll listen to fans.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:34:23 pm
Explain. It sounds like the definition of menial. You read the comics and wrote summaries. What's not menial. Menial doesn't mean it wasn't time consuming. Menial means it doesn't require much skill (here the skills are reading and summarizing, pretty basic high school fare) and its not highly regarded. I don't think anyone would argue the task was not prestigious.
I was creative with it. For instance, I formatted Jack Boniface's entry to fit the Hero's Journey. I also created pages for the Rai legacy, not just individual entries.

It wasn't just reading and summarizing what happened. It was creating a guide for people that had never read VALIANT before then. I went beyond the printed page to create entries explaining things for people that had never read VALIANT.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:36:48 pm
I just googled Golden Liberty Comics and it looks like I hit the bullseye. Forget writing, you haven't even updated your facebook page since 2019. There's nothing wrong but being a struggling want-to-be writer. Every writer starts exactly where you are. Don't give up. But also don't pretend you're something you're not. Ego will only prevent you achieving your goals. Own where you are so you can best take the next step. Pretend you are further along and you'll be chasing a step you're not ready for.
As stated before, the pandemic got in the way, hence the lack of public updates. That doesn't mean work has totally and completely stopped. Things are just paused.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:53:32 am Arguably, one of the most important examples of how the tone of VALIANT's comics differed from that of DC and Marvel and made them more grounded was that Phil Seleski -- an energy God struggling to retain his humanity -- regularly met with a psychologist.

That sort of anchor kept him grounded because it made him more human. It showed that the series was not about a man with God-like power, it was about a God with man-made neuroses.

Then you had Magnus trying to understand whether he was man or machine, a very valid question given he was brought up by a robot and he could made his hands strong as steel.

Those sorts of questions are not found in average comic books. Byrne's Superman tackled similar themes as Magnus. Is he Clark or is he Kal-El? That sort of thing.

um, lots of marvel and dc stories do exactly this. Valiant did a lot of great new things. No need to give them credit where it isn't due.

Also, Solar was a man with the powers of a God. Not a God with the mind of a man. Small but important difference. He's also just a Dr. Manhattan clone in Valiant. And he's also barely in the Valiant universe when you take a look at everything from the beginning to now.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:39:21 pm
As stated before, the pandemic got in the way, hence the lack of public updates. That doesn't mean work has totally and completely stopped. Things are just paused.
Excited for you.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:40:22 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:39:21 pm
Excited for you.
Thanks.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:39:25 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:53:32 am Arguably, one of the most important examples of how the tone of VALIANT's comics differed from that of DC and Marvel and made them more grounded was that Phil Seleski -- an energy God struggling to retain his humanity -- regularly met with a psychologist.

um, lots of marvel and dc stories do exactly this. Valiant did a lot of great new things. No need to give them credit where it isn't due.

Also, Solar was a man with the powers of a God. Not a God with the mind of a man. Small but important difference. He's also just a Dr. Manhattan clone in Valiant. And he's also barely in the Valiant universe when you take a look at everything from the beginning to now.
Phil stopped being a man when he jumped into the reactor, though. A man went in, a God came out.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:44:39 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:39:25 pm

Phil stopped being a man when he jumped into the reactor, though. A man went in, a God came out.
Literally the whole point of the Valiant Solar book is that despite people thinking that its not true. You need to separate the rhetoric from the text.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:29:41 pm Literally the whole point of the Valiant Solar book is that despite people thinking that its not true. You need to separate the rhetoric from the text.
The accident turned Phil and Erica into Gods, and whereas he struggled to retain his humanity, she reveled in her godhood, hence her becoming Mothergod.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

'
As I read this, I thought 90s Valiant is the The Sopranos of comic books!

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

nycjadie wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:03:03 pm

'
Nice, heh.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

This thread is amazing.

Sometimes the better friend is the one who tells you how they see it instead of telling you what you want to hear. That's the kind of friend the more critical members of this board can be to Alien. The blunt, straightforward friend who won't sugarcoat what they think. That can be very valuable if the goal is to learn and grow.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

nycjadie wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:03:03 pm

'
For sure. They both grounded genre fiction with realistic elements and realistic characters, while still doing the fun things that people like about the genres.

As opposed to deconstruction (like Alan Moore), who's goal is to tear down the genre tropes and reveal why they're unrealistic and stupid. It's not about enjoying anything, but feeling smarter and superior to those that do.