Kalam

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Kalam

Post by ManofTheAtom »

In VH 1, all of Gilad's children were born insane except for Kalam, his first born.

Any theories for why that might have been? What made him special?
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Re: Kalam

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:09:20 pm In VH 1, all of Gilad's children were born insane except for Kalam, his first born.

Was the origin of the brothers' immortality ever revealed? Knowing that would help

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:35:25 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:09:20 pm In VH 1, all of Gilad's children were born insane except for Kalam, his first born.

Was the origin of the brothers' immortality ever revealed? Knowing that would help
I believe that was part of Shooter's Post Unity plan, but I don't think any version of it ever made it to the printed page.

MAYBE Timewalker #0. I think it suggested that that woman from the future experimented on their parents for the purpose of creating someone who could survive the time arcs.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:50:01 pm

I believe that was part of Shooter's Post Unity plan, but I don't think any version of it ever made it to the printed page.

MAYBE Timewalker #0. I think it suggested that that woman from the future experimented on their parents for the purpose of creating someone who could survive the time arcs.
Going to add it to the list of BIG QUESTIONS to ask him in the future :)

Timewalker 0 :hm: Yeah just looked, it even says this in the solicitation blurb:
At long last, the origin of the Immortal Brothers is revealed. Find out the true story behind Timewalker, Armstrong and the Eternal Warrior's longevity. Runaway trains, space ships, unholy biological experimentation, Time Arcs and ray guns -- this story has it all! Plus: the answer to the puzzle of which brother is really the oldest. The creative team pulls out all the stops as they launch readers on an epic, time-shaking adventure! "Child of Time" is written by Bob Hall, with art by Don Perlin and Mike Manley. Wraparound cover by Don Perlin and Tom Ryder. Cover price $2.50.
I just talked to Bob, but only about Shadowman :lol: I can ask him some Timewalker questions next time :hm:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:59:39 pm

Timewalker 0 :hm: Yeah just looked, it even says this in the solicitation blurb:
At long last, the origin of the Immortal Brothers is revealed. Find out the true story behind Timewalker, Armstrong and the Eternal Warrior's longevity. Runaway trains, space ships, unholy biological experimentation, Time Arcs and ray guns -- this story has it all! Plus: the answer to the puzzle of which brother is really the oldest. The creative team pulls out all the stops as they launch readers on an epic, time-shaking adventure! "Child of Time" is written by Bob Hall, with art by Don Perlin and Mike Manley. Wraparound cover by Don Perlin and Tom Ryder. Cover price $2.50.
I just talked to Bob, but only about Shadowman :lol: I can ask him some Timewalker questions next time :hm:
Awesome, go for it.

Here's the summary of issue 0.

https://the-book-of-geomancer.fandom.co ... ld_Of_Time

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:01:38 pm

Awesome, go for it.

Nice. Yeah I never had that issue. It came out really late in VH1.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:04:56 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:01:38 pm

Awesome, go for it.

Nice. Yeah I never had that issue. It came out really late in VH1.
Yeah.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:50:01 pm MAYBE Timewalker #0. I think it suggested that that woman from the future experimented on their parents for the purpose of creating someone who could survive the time arcs.
Timewalker 0 states that Vandal was genetically unique. Maybe there was experimentation as well. That's not clearly stated.

/Magnus

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Ryan wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:59:39 pm I just talked to Bob, but only about Shadowman :lol: I can ask him some Timewalker questions next time :hm:
Also Maurice Fontenot has written about the early days of the brothers (Eternal Warrion 37 & 38), if anyone gets the chance to ask him.

/Magnus

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

magnusr wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:40:36 am Timewalker 0 states that Vandal was genetically unique. Maybe there was experimentation as well. That's not clearly stated.
hmm so its left pretty vague.
magnusr wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:43:57 am Also Maurice Fontenot has written about the early days of the brothers (Eternal Warrion 37 & 38), if anyone gets the chance to ask him.
He would be an interesting person to talk to.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

I was wondering if Kalam could have been born before Gilad was truly "activated". Took a quick look at the timing:

TW 0, Middle East, 4000 BC, give or take, Vandal and Triahna escapes
Four years later, birth of 3rd son, all killed by spider aliens except Vandal and brothers, Ivar captured
100 years later, Ivar escapes
EW 1, Anatolia, before history. Gilad 11 years already strong fighter.
Mesopotamia 30 years later. Kalam young child.
Court of Cheops (so around 2600 BC), roughly 600 years later. Gil-Gamesh (son of Kalam like like King Mis of Ur) famous.
EW 37, Mesopotamia 3214 BC. Gilad (who is adult) nearly killed in fight with spider aliens. Their father tells them they were brought by a man who sensed a noble spirit in him.
EW 38, Mesopotamia 3214 BC. Gilad and Aram rather adult. Villagers captured by spider aliens, Aram tortured in laboratory.

I was thinking Gilad's later children could differ from Kalam if Kalam was born before the events in 3214 BC.

The timing is off and Kalam should have been mentioned in EW 38, so my theory seems very unlikely.

Maybe it's just a fluke that Kalam didn't turn insane. Or maybe the Geomancer was mistaken and the child he claimed to be Kalam, was really one of Aram's kids...

/Magnus

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

magnusr wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:40:36 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:50:01 pm MAYBE Timewalker #0. I think it suggested that that woman from the future experimented on their parents for the purpose of creating someone who could survive the time arcs.
Timewalker 0 states that Vandal was genetically unique. Maybe there was experimentation as well. That's not clearly stated.

/Magnus
Indeed.
magnusr wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:21:46 am I was wondering if Kalam could have been born before Gilad was truly "activated". Took a quick look at the timing:

Four years later, birth of 3rd son, all killed by spider aliens except Vandal and brothers, Ivar captured
Court of Cheops (so around 2600 BC), roughly 600 years later. Gil-Gamesh (son of Kalam like like King Mis of Ur) famous.
EW 37, Mesopotamia 3214 BC. Gilad (who is adult) nearly killed in fight with spider aliens. Their father tells them they were brought by a man who sensed a noble spirit in him.
EW 38, Mesopotamia 3214 BC. Gilad and Aram rather adult. Villagers captured by spider aliens, Aram tortured in laboratory.

I was thinking Gilad's later children could differ from Kalam if Kalam was born before the events in 3214 BC.

The timing is off and Kalam should have been mentioned in EW 38, so my theory seems very unlikely.

Maybe it's just a fluke that Kalam didn't turn insane. Or maybe the Geomancer was mistaken and the child he claimed to be Kalam, was really one of Aram's kids...

/Magnus
Nice.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

magnusr wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:21:46 am I was wondering if Kalam could have been born before Gilad was truly "activated". Took a quick look at the timing:

/Magnus
Awesome theories, well researched :clap:

Just like the Lost Land thread, some of the inconsistencies are probably just from writers/editors not being consistent.