Top Cow

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Top Cow

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Alien Books should do a VALIANT crossover with Top Cow. But how would it work?

It would be interesting to see the VALIANT heroes interact with Top Cow heroes who were not part of Deathmate, like Witchblade and Darkness.

I imagine the way both universes could be linked might be through mystical means as opposed to cosmic ones (like was the case with Deathmate).

Maybe Punk Mambo does it, or maybe Master Darque finds a path into the Top Cow universe by walking the dragon path in his sanctum.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

slack
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?
Re: Top Cow

Post by slack »

Since you brought it up... I've always hated cross company crossovers. They tend to feel like bad advertising disguised as a poorly written cash grab.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

I'm not very familiar with the Top Cow lineup, but it sounds like they would mix well with the Shadowman side of Valiant. Maybe a Deathmate mini-sequel with Cyber force and the Valiants?

Wildstorm would also be cool, but I think they've been fully merged into the DC universe, right?

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

slack wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:05:56 am Since you brought it up... I've always hated cross company crossovers. They tend to feel like bad advertising disguised as a poorly written cash grab.
There's that, but there's also the ones where two characters that fit well together make a good story. Like Predator vs Magnus.

/Magnus

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:31:00 am I'm not very familiar with the Top Cow lineup, but it sounds like they would mix well with the Shadowman side of Valiant. Maybe a Deathmate mini-sequel with Cyber force and the Valiants?

Wildstorm would also be cool, but I think they've been fully merged into the DC universe, right?
Yeah, WS is with DC. Top Cow is very much like VALIANT, a smaller publisher with recognizable characters.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

slack wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:05:56 am Since you brought it up... I've always hated cross company crossovers. They tend to feel like bad advertising disguised as a poorly written cash grab.
That can depend on the story.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

magnusr wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:04:15 am
There's that, but there's also the ones where two characters that fit well together make a good story. Like Predator vs Magnus.

/Magnus
Indeed.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

/Magnus
One of the best for sure.

Speaking of Wildstorm, there's also a good Aliens-Wildcats crossover that's actually a key piece of Wildstorm continuity, it leads to the Authority series. Crossovers are much better if they actually count and are integrated into the ongoing story. Too many cross-company crossovers are done in an alternate reality. Makes it so there's no stakes or importance to the story.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:40:30 am

/Magnus
One of the best for sure.

Speaking of Wildstorm, there's also a good Aliens-Wildcats crossover that's actually a key piece of Wildstorm continuity, it leads to the Authority series. Crossovers are much better if they actually count and are integrated into the ongoing story. Too many cross-company crossovers are done in an alternate reality. Makes it so there's no stakes or importance to the story.
Indeed. For a time, the Darkness ongoing series acknowledged the Darkness/Batman crossover.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Ryan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:40:30 am Crossovers are much better if they actually count and are integrated into the ongoing story.
That is one part of why I like the Predator vs Magnus story (apart from it simply being a good story). It both fits the continuity established for Magnus and Valiant generally and is reused later on (the XO ring that Magnus threw away).

/Magnus

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:21:23 am Indeed. For a time, the Darkness ongoing series acknowledged the Darkness/Batman crossover.
Nice.
magnusr wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:38:25 am That is one part of why I like the Predator vs Magnus story (apart from it simply being a good story). It both fits the continuity established for Magnus and Valiant generally and is reused later on (the XO ring that Magnus threw away).
Loved that too.