Re-reading: Eternal Warrior #18

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How would you rate this book?

No votes
No votes
No votes
33%
33%
17%
17%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 6

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re-reading: Eternal Warrior #18

Post by xoken »

I thought we could do a book a day (that way people can read one every day or catch up on weekends), talk about it on its own, in the context of whats next, in regards to what expectations it creates and vote on how good it is. I don't have to be the one that posts everyday. If I miss a day or if someone wants to take over please do

For voting think of your single favourite comic book (not just VALIANT) as the benchmark - thats a 10 - and grade according to that.

The voting (I'm hoping) will help new readers make more educated descisions. If this turkey files maybe we can even do a list of the books according to average voting grade.

Make sure to mention what you like'd about the book, what you didn't, what you wish they would have done, your favourite panels, lines of dialogue, little bits of trivia etc.

Eternal Warrior #18
Last edited by xoken on Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:42:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

I have the exact same compliments and criticisms of this issue as 17. Expect that it becomes more obvious in this issue that Gil's out of his depth here. He 's no where near the power level of these elementals. At best, he's just getting underfoot.

Looking back at it now I'm mystified at why Geoff didn't call in more powerful help. At this point he's got the phone number of every hero in the Valiant Universe. In Rai 0 and Secret Weapons he has no problem doing this. Why is it different here?

But the strength of the writing still holds it together. And even if Gilad couldn't defeat him, he still had a pretty good battle with the Earth Elemental. A 7.
Last edited by Todd Luck on Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:28:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

xoken

Post by xoken »

First of all the mud monster has been done before.
Secondly, if you're as old as Gilad you've read/seen or heard about the idea before and you know you cant shoot a mud monster with a shot gun

Did master darque kill the mud monster? why?

another 4

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Aw, it wasn't that bad. It does seem like Gilad keeps getting in the middle of battles that he's not really suited for.

Just a touch better than average, so I gave it a 6.

xoken

Post by xoken »

depluto wrote:Aw, it wasn't that bad. It does seem like Gilad keeps getting in the middle of battles that he's not really suited for.

Just a touch better than average, so I gave it a 6.
I guess i just expected something smarter for the Eternal Warrior series. Not these Immortal Rambo stories as Todd Luck calls them :(

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

xoken wrote:I guess i just expected something smarter for the Eternal Warrior series. Not these Immortal Rambo stories as Todd Luck calls them :(
Well, these books seem to be settling into a routine where the prologue is the most interesting part of the book, and then there is a surprising splash page at the end. Comix by the numbers.

xoken

Post by xoken »

depluto wrote:
xoken wrote:I guess i just expected something smarter for the Eternal Warrior series. Not these Immortal Rambo stories as Todd Luck calls them :(
Well, these books seem to be settling into a routine where the prologue is the most interesting part of the book, and then there is a surprising splash page at the end. Comix by the numbers.
Very true. Its sad because its a great concept and had so much potential they way it started. I wish Gilad was more of a man that felt the weight of living for ever. He acts just like I would if I was in his situation (with superpowers).

I'd really like to see a whole issue deal with the past. Or more of the immortal enemy. Theres really no reason to stay in the present except for him.

Or even a whole issue in the future :thumb:

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

xoken wrote:First of all the mud monster has been done before.
Secondly, if you're as old as Gilad you've read/seen or heard about the idea before and you know you cant shoot a mud monster with a shot gun

Did master darque kill the mud monster? why?

another 4
I don't think he would've ever faced anything remotely like the "mud monster" before. See EW 1 :wink: .

Darque "killed" the "mud monster" because he failed. Though this was done way to subtely. I just now realized that's why he needed to be resurrected over in Geomancer. Considering the ease that the mystery villian in that book resurrected the elementals, Darque may have known he could easily bring them back later.