Undervalued Gems

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question
Re: Undervalued Gems

Post by Draco »

hulk181man wrote:I think there was also a prototype of some kind in an issue of FOOM.
Foom 10 seems to be getting attention as 1st app New Xmen over Giant size X-men # 1 but another book that whilst scarce isnt an issue where a story was intended over a preview or advert
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

I think these published ads are legit collectibles. It's the first time a character was published in print by the publisher. I can see that not being a first appearance, but still counting as "first time character appeared in print" or something along those lines.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Draco
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

StarBrand wrote:I think these published ads are legit collectibles. It's the first time a character was published in print by the publisher. I can see that not being a first appearance, but still counting as "first time character appeared in print" or something along those lines.
The Foom # 10 cover is a gem, but some ads were weak, some strong :)
I guess it depends on the character/s
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

I wonder if the ad itself contributed to 181 being the "legitimate" first appearance since it set the expectations of the fans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

possumgrease wrote:I wonder if the ad itself contributed to 181 being the "legitimate" first appearance since it set the expectations of the fans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

hulk181man wrote:
StarBrand wrote:I wonder if that ad appeared in other Marvels that month.
Daredevil 115
Marvel Premiere 19
Thor 229
So all three kind of tie together, so you can make a case aside from popularity of titles, significance of issue # all books should be worth about the same. I just love the DD bronze covers, for my 70s books are my favorite covers.

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

Did not know where to post this, so if it's not the correct thread, apologies. :thumb:

People, what do you think of the potential of Batman nu52 #21 (1st Duke Thomas)?
I would not ask this if I had not read a recent interview with Scott Snyder regarding AS Batman, where he says he has plans for a solo Duke book to spin out of it. And that he's gonna be Big in the DCU.

We know that "Lark" (Duke's superhero nickname) will not be another Bat-helper, according to Snyder, both in the book and in interviews. It's something else different.
We still don't know wtf that "else" is.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

maraxusofkeld
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton

Post by maraxusofkeld »

I think the first Harper Row from Batman new 52 has potential, issues 7, and 28.

ShadowTuga
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

maraxusofkeld wrote:I think the first Harper Row from Batman new 52 has potential, issues 7, and 28.
Her first appearance is actually Batman #1- unnamed cameo, according to Snyder. Which is already a pricey book.

I at one time thought she was going to be the next Big Batman character, but seeing how some of the writers show how they feel about her by simply putting Harper out of action (she's in Detective, only, and in a secondary role), it made me think she is not that great with the fandom and hasn't any chance of being outside the comics- but I really do like her very much (and the relationship with her brother), plus, her Bluebird outfit is real cool.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

maraxusofkeld wrote:I think the first Harper Row from Batman new 52 has potential, issues 7, and 28.
Any Bat character has the chance.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

A lot of Silver Age books seem to have about ten or fifteen slabbed copies available on eBay in similar condition for around the same price. I like to buy the last copy of a book in a certain grade, when there are either no remaining copies for sale or the next copy in price is significantly more expensive.
If you buy a book that has a dozen copies available for around $300 each in close to the same grade, that book could remain stuck at that price for a long, long time.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I'm really starting to love some of the Marvel Milestones and DC Milleniums, slabbed in high grade.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Amazing Spider-Man vol. 1 #121
-Death of Gwen Stacy
-Green Goblin cements place as the ultimate Spider-Man villain

Spider-Man is a bit of a tragic hero, for sure. Actually, the character is known for his emotional beat downs throughout the entire publishing history of Peter Parker. However, this particular issue is a key in any Spider-Man run. It features the first true tragedy that Spider-Man faces since the death of Uncle Ben in the characters origin. It also features the death of the only character in the book's history to truly give Mary Jane a run for a place in Parker's life.

The death of Gwen Stacy was a huge deal that happened rather quietly, in an otherwise normal Green Goblin story of Marvel's foremost publication, Amazing Spider-Man. This was a death that was sacred through all of comic book time - like Bucky's, Jason Todd's, and Uncle Ben's - obviously until the recent age of comics where sacred is thrown out the window for sales.

But this death mattered. We all could love Gwen Stacy and we all would feel a little cringe, or voice an "oh! man..." when reading this issue and seeing that tiny, tiny, tiny little sound effect on the page... -snap!-.

The emotional gamut that this book evokes - even amidst the very cliche Silver Age writing, is a gauntlet that doesn't let up. From Harry Osbourne's drug issues, to the return of Norman's Green Goblin, to the nature of Spider-Man's attitude in this story. The character wakes up and goes about his life like a normal day, simply humanly naive to the fact that the day could end in a way that never entered his mind. Something we can all identify with - you wake up and take a day for granted, go home like everything is normal only to end your day finding out that is absolutely was not.

This book was a turning point that guided the direction of Spider-Man titles literally for the next 40 years. It has been referenced on screen, in an equally poignant way (it can't be denied that no matter your thoughts on the Amazing Spider-Man 2, the death of Gwen scene was done in a way that was galvanizing emotionally for anyone watching it). Amazing Spider-Man #121 is not a cheap comic on the market, but is still, arguably, an undervalued gem given it's masterful craftsmanship, emotional impact, long-lasting ramifications, and even spawning evoking modern pop culture references to this day. Amazing Spider-Man #121 is easily of the most key Spider-Man books ever created, and it was done without marketing hype, without an announced headline about "changing things forever" or other false promises. It still resonates today even through the writing tropes of it's time. Uncle Ben was a hero-birthing tragedy, but in a hobby filled with heroes who are "reborn" and perpetually young, the death of Gwen Stacy was a galvanizing event that puts in perspective how short life can really be.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

I've looked at Amazing Spider-man #121 several times as being undervalued, and I keep coming back to the fact that Spider-man's butt is the focal point in the center of the cover and I don't want to pay money for Spider-man's butt.

:lol:

I'll go ahead and prepare the quote thread for you guys:
greg wrote:I don't want to pay money for Spider-man's butt.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Crap. Now that's how I'm going to look at that book too. Lol.
Last edited by StarBrand on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:33:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

IMJ wrote:Amazing Spider-Man vol. 1 #121
-Death of Gwen Stacy
-Green Goblin cements place as the ultimate Spider-Man villain

Spider-Man is a bit of a tragic hero, for sure. Actually, the character is known for his emotional beat downs throughout the entire publishing history of Peter Parker. However, this particular issue is a key in any Spider-Man run. It features the first true tragedy that Spider-Man faces since the death of Uncle Ben in the characters origin. It also features the death of the only character in the book's history to truly give Mary Jane a run for a place in Parker's life.

The death of Gwen Stacy was a huge deal that happened rather quietly, in an otherwise normal Green Goblin story of Marvel's foremost publication, Amazing Spider-Man. This was a death that was sacred through all of comic book time - like Bucky's, Jason Todd's, and Uncle Ben's - obviously until the recent age of comics where sacred is thrown out the window for sales.

But this death mattered. We all could love Gwen Stacy and we all would feel a little cringe, or voice an "oh! man..." when reading this issue and seeing that tiny, tiny, tiny little sound effect on the page... -snap!-.

The emotional gamut that this book evokes - even amidst the very cliche Silver Age writing, is a gauntlet that doesn't let up. From Harry Osbourne's drug issues, to the return of Norman's Green Goblin, to the nature of Spider-Man's attitude in this story. The character wakes up and goes about his life like a normal day, simply humanly naive to the fact that the day could end in a way that never entered his mind. Something we can all identify with - you wake up and take a day for granted, go home like everything is normal only to end your day finding out that is absolutely was not.

This book was a turning point that guided the direction of Spider-Man titles literally for the next 40 years. It has been referenced on screen, in an equally poignant way (it can't be denied that no matter your thoughts on the Amazing Spider-Man 2, the death of Gwen scene was done in a way that was galvanizing emotionally for anyone watching it). Amazing Spider-Man #121 is not a cheap comic on the market, but is still, arguably, an undervalued gem given it's masterful craftsmanship, emotional impact, long-lasting ramifications, and even spawning evoking modern pop culture references to this day. Amazing Spider-Man #121 is easily of the most key Spider-Man books ever created, and it was done without marketing hype, without an announced headline about "changing things forever" or other false promises. It still resonates today even through the writing tropes of it's time. Uncle Ben was a hero-birthing tragedy, but in a hobby filled with heroes who are "reborn" and perpetually young, the death of Gwen Stacy was a galvanizing event that puts in perspective how short life can really be.
Nice analysis.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

greg wrote:I've looked at Amazing Spider-man #121 several times as being undervalued, and I keep coming back to the fact that Spider-man's butt is the focal point in the center of the cover and I don't want to pay money for Spider-man's butt.

:lol:

I'll go ahead and prepare the quote thread for you guys:
greg wrote:I don't want to pay money for Spider-man's butt.
That book is now forever ruined in my eyes. Sort of like a friend telling me that an attractive woman I know looks like Steve Buscemi.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

121 is an amazing cover! Also, the same could be said for 122 and 129. Iconic books with amazing artwork!

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Agreed!

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Spidey butt lovers.

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

greg wrote:Spidey butt lovers.
"I like spidey-butt and I can not lie"
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Teed up for the quote thread...

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

nycjadie wrote:Sort of like a friend telling me that an attractive woman I know looks like Steve Buscemi.
One of you is lying.

possumgrease
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by possumgrease »

Maybe Romita was trying to provide a slightly more anatomically correct spider. You can imagine the web shooting from that area. You don't have to of course.

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

depluto wrote:
nycjadie wrote:Sort of like a friend telling me that an attractive woman I know looks like Steve Buscemi.
One of you is lying.
Hah!