Harbinger War Deluxe HC

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ASH74
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: Now
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Harbinger War Deluxe HC

Post by ASH74 »

Just finished reading this one this morning.

Good story but I had a few minor nit-picks with it.

#1: I see what the writers and editor tried to do in order to get the book to flow from the event series into Bloodshot and Harbinger but I think it didn't work as well as they would have liked it to. The transition back and forth felt clunky and forced in a lot of places. In effect you were reading the same story three times from different points of view and it just didn't fire on all cylinders for me. Because of that I think...

#2: It didn't really feel like a "war" to me. Cool name for a story but it was more a battle than the entire war. I think the war started years before in the 60's (continuity time) and still continues on in the books published today.

That said... I dug the intro of the H.A.R.D. Corps and will probably crack open the Bloodshot Deluxe HC Vol 2 next in order to read more about those guys.

wwise03
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: Free Comic Book Day 2014
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine
Re: Harbinger War Deluxe HC

Post by wwise03 »

I miss Valiant from 2012-2013. It seemed like a more cohesive universe then.

ASH74

Post by ASH74 »

I'm still reading a lot of the earlier stuff and it does feel like a very connected and cohesive universe. From comments I've seen on the boards it looks like the past year or two the publisher has strayed away from that a bit to try new things. Not a bad thing but at the same time I can see where it would stress out some of the more loyal fans.

Reading Bloodshot Deluxe Vol 2 right now and I'm n the middle of the A+A crossover.

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

I have a hunch that the story may have read better as individual issues, rather than as presented in the Hardcover.

It felt much more like three intertwining stories being told in the three series as it was coming out, rather than the "month one", "month two", etc format it is presented as in the hardcover.

ASH74

Post by ASH74 »

Dr. Solar wrote:I have a hunch that the story may have read better as individual issues, rather than as presented in the Hardcover.

It felt much more like three intertwining stories being told in the three series as it was coming out, rather than the "month one", "month two", etc format it is presented as in the hardcover.
You're right in the respect that reading them in the Deluxe Hardcover all at once might feel like overload but I'd argue reading all three issues as they came out each month would as well.

Valiant builds their books around the four issue trade paperback market. They didn't craft the story for the person that buys all their books each month. They built it based on the fact that someone who has never picked up a Valiant book might pick up Harbinger Wars trade (or one of the others) because it sounds good.