My thoughts on D-Day... er... DMG-Day

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
My thoughts on D-Day... er... DMG-Day

Post by greg »

We've had about twelve hours since the news that DMG now has 100% ownership of Valiant.

Here's where my head is...

We love Valiant.

We accept each other as Valiant fans because of our shared love for Valiant, even when Valiant was dead under Acclaim... before there was a hope for Valiant to return.

What we had from Valiant in the 1990s was enough to sustain and grow the fan community from a shared love for early Valiant, and at least a "liking" for (some of the) other parts of Valiant that came after.

Jim Shooter created the first Valiant, er, VALIANT (before all caps meant shouting) and so we love Jim Shooter for his role, and we still love others who were there for the first VALIANT.

Dinesh Shamdasani created the second Valiant because of his love for the first VALIANT. We love Dinesh because he literally spent years showing us his love for Valiant. Fred Pierce showed us his love for Valiant, and Warren Simons, and Dysart, and Van Lente, and Venditti, and Lemire, and Kindt, etc., because they loved Valiant we accepted them, too.

Whether we will accept DMG is going to come down to one question: Will DMG demonstrate its love for Valiant?

If so, there's a good chance that fans will accept DMG. If not, maybe DMG will remember the sad tale of Acclaim Entertainment.

Valiant fans will know which happens.

If DMG can live without us, and that's a choice they might make since we haven't exactly been providing hundreds of millions of dollars to Valiant...

... then we'll always have Jim and Dino.

Bl00dsh0t
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1 (2012)
Favorite character: Ninjak/Woody
Favorite title: Bloodshot/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Re: My thoughts on D-Day... er... DMG-Day

Post by Bl00dsh0t »

No matter the direction of the comics, we will always have some great stories to re-read.

I hope DMG expand on the publishing line, despite reading articles contrary to this.

I'm looking forward to seeing my favorite Valiant heroes on the big and small screen and hope the DMG takeover progresses what we've been promised for years.

I'm concerned about the future of the comics but excited by the possibility of film/tv ventures.

I think we, as a passionate fan base, have the right to feel angry/concerned/confused/hurt about the news, particularly those who were around during the acclaim thing (which I wasn't - I'm a VEI guy), but I'm waiting for more info before I subscribe to the notion that the comics are DOOMED!

:hope:

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Well said Greg.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Pour two out tonight. One for Jim and one for Dino.

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

SuperMage
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Completely ruined the ending of Last Jedi: The Force Reloaded of the Green Gables 8 -- This Time, It's Really Really Personal (In Space).
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Animalia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by SuperMage »

I'm going to make a prediction on the future of Valiant from this point forward. DMG will still keep publishing comics, but only comics that are in the process of being adapted in other media. That's my interpretation of Mintz's statement. Qunatum and Woody, Ninjak, Bloodshot, Shadowman, and Harbinger will continue to published uninterrupted. DMG will likely cancel other planned series in favor of a new Dr. Mirage, and Archer & Armstrong series. The only books we'll see on the stands will be the ones with characters on the screen. There will likely be more involved/forced crossover events so that DMG can have source material for their own version of Infinity War. Books will probably be canceled and relaunched immediately with different creative teams. Chances are writers will be clearly told they're only allowed to pitched for specific characters that are of interest to DMG's transmedia projects. They'll probably rotate out books as those characters reach the end of their lifespan in other media. So basically once they need a new IP for the big screen after their current plans are done, they'll relaunch some of the other books the build up source material. Books will specifically be published for the purpose of being optioned off to a film studio or t.v. network.

Future volumes for War Mother, Savage, Britannia, Imperium, Divinity, H.A.R.D. Corps, Secret Weapons, Unity, Timewalker, Rai, Eternal Warrior, etc. will all be placed on hiatus until DMG feels its necessary to publish them for corporate synergy. Secret Weapons will probably continue, because DMG will probably want to prioritize Harbinger related IPs for film adaption. Take a look at that list at the start of my paragraph, and realize how much Valiant has experimented these past few years in building new corners of the universe. Mintz comments make it clear he's not interested in expanding the universe. He's interested in adapting it. Valiant is now nothing more than an IP farm. Mintz was upfront about that.

Its also possible they'll let the comic side of the company die over time. They don't need to publish books in order to turn them into movies. That probably won't be for a while, assuming DMG is successful on the film side of things. At least we got those t.v. and film projects we wanted. But at what cost?

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

DirtbagSailor wrote:Well said Greg.
+1
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

lorddunlow wrote:Pour two out tonight. One for Jim and one for Dino.

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk
:thumb: :cry:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

apacseller
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: Harbinger #1
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Warriors of Plasm

Post by apacseller »

SuperMage wrote:
Its also possible they'll let the comic side of the company die over time. They don't need to publish books in order to turn them into movies. That probably won't be for a while, assuming DMG is successful on the film side of things. At least we got those t.v. and film projects we wanted. But at what cost?
Is there any value (profit) in publishing books right now, or is it necessary to have the media side too? Curious if someone would pick up the Valiant license just for publishing comics., if DMG truly becomes solely about tv/movies?

SiegeTheBox
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: The Valiant
Favorite character: The Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Raul Allen

Post by SiegeTheBox »

This is why you're the leader, Greg. Thanks for helping us make sense of all this.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

SuperMage wrote:I'm going to make a prediction on the future of Valiant from this point forward. DMG will still keep publishing comics, but only comics that are in the process of being adapted in other media. That's my interpretation of Mintz's statement. Qunatum and Woody, Ninjak, Bloodshot, Shadowman, and Harbinger will continue to published uninterrupted. DMG will likely cancel other planned series in favor of a new Dr. Mirage, and Archer & Armstrong series. The only books we'll see on the stands will be the ones with characters on the screen. There will likely be more involved/forced crossover events so that DMG can have source material for their own version of Infinity War. Books will probably be canceled and relaunched immediately with different creative teams. Chances are writers will be clearly told they're only allowed to pitched for specific characters that are of interest to DMG's transmedia projects. They'll probably rotate out books as those characters reach the end of their lifespan in other media. So basically once they need a new IP for the big screen after their current plans are done, they'll relaunch some of the other books the build up source material. Books will specifically be published for the purpose of being optioned off to a film studio or t.v. network.

Future volumes for War Mother, Savage, Britannia, Imperium, Divinity, H.A.R.D. Corps, Secret Weapons, Unity, Timewalker, Rai, Eternal Warrior, etc. will all be placed on hiatus until DMG feels its necessary to publish them for corporate synergy. Secret Weapons will probably continue, because DMG will probably want to prioritize Harbinger related IPs for film adaption. Take a look at that list at the start of my paragraph, and realize how much Valiant has experimented these past few years in building new corners of the universe. Mintz comments make it clear he's not interested in expanding the universe. He's interested in adapting it. Valiant is now nothing more than an IP farm. Mintz was upfront about that.

I think you made some interesting points here. :hm:

SuperMage

Post by SuperMage »

apacseller wrote:
SuperMage wrote:
Is there any value (profit) in publishing books right now, or is it necessary to have the media side too? Curious if someone would pick up the Valiant license just for publishing comics., if DMG truly becomes solely about tv/movies?
There's value in fleshing out their IPs, for now. I doubt DMG has much to gain financially to continue publishing comics. They view it as an investment, not an asset. It might also be possible they'll close down Valiant as a distinct publisher. They could just as easily license the characters to Dark Horse or Dynamite. A lot of worst case scenarios are becoming more likely.

krylox
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by krylox »

SuperMage wrote:I'm going to make a prediction on the future of Valiant from this point forward. DMG will still keep publishing comics, but only comics that are in the process of being adapted in other media. That's my interpretation of Mintz's statement. Quantum and Woody, Ninjak, Bloodshot, Shadowman, and Harbinger will continue to published uninterrupted. DMG will likely cancel other planned series in favor of a new Dr. Mirage, and Archer & Armstrong series. The only books we'll see on the stands will be the ones with characters on the screen. There will likely be more involved/forced crossover events so that DMG can have source material for their own version of Infinity War. Books will probably be canceled and relaunched immediately with different creative teams. Chances are writers will be clearly told they're only allowed to pitched for specific characters that are of interest to DMG's transmedia projects. They'll probably rotate out books as those characters reach the end of their lifespan in other media. So basically once they need a new IP for the big screen after their current plans are done, they'll relaunch some of the other books the build up source material. Books will specifically be published for the purpose of being optioned off to a film studio or t.v. network.

Could be right. On the other hand, it could be the other way around. If they are clever about it, they will look out for an experienced editor in chief and continue to produce new stories. If it is an IP farm it makes sense to continue doing what VEI was doing before: create interesting outlines for future movies/tv series.

No one will buy movie-tie-ins from Valiant — no one does from Marvel or DC. This is not what the publishing division is for. Maybe the change won't be that brutal, after all. Valiant in the past few years already went for the "definitive take" route for their characters and kind of gave up the cohesive aspect of their universe and the continuity was kind of loose, too.

Everything depends on two aspects:

1. Will the new management be clever enough to get some people on board who understand comics?

2. Will the creative direction will be top-down, and if so, do those guys really get Valiant's potential and can they work/expand it?

We'll have to wait and see...

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Greg, I want to thank you for all the work and time and effort you have put into this place. I have had countless hours spent here reading and posting (and posting).

A great majority of the best people in my life, I have Valiant and this place to thank for it.
So Greg thank you.

For me, it's Jim, Dino, and Greg. The caretakers for the Valiant Universe.

will there be a 4th name on the list?

SuperMage

Post by SuperMage »

krylox wrote:
Could be right. On the other hand, it could be the other way around. If they are clever about it, they will look out for an experienced editor in chief and continue to produce new stories. If it is an IP farm it makes sense to continue doing what VEI was doing before: create interesting outlines for future movies/tv series.
They can keep doing that, but they don't need to publish any non-trans media books to do it. They'll make new stories, within the confines of what's deemed relevant to DMG's larger media plans. I don't expect to see riskier books similar to Divinity or Savage being greenlit. Mintz was pretty transparent with his intentions. His aim is corporate synergy with the upcoming VEI cinematic universe. Does another volume War Mother add to that synergy? Maybe after they find a film studio interested in a War Mother movie. I expect fewer mini-series moving forward. Sadly

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

SuperMage wrote:I doubt DMG has much to gain financially to continue publishing comics. They view it as an investment, not an asset. It might also be possible they'll close down Valiant as a distinct publisher. They could just as easily license the characters to Dark Horse or Dynamite (sucks!). A lot of worst case scenarios are becoming more likely.
I disagree. They have no interest in totally p!ssing off their hard core fan base while they get ready to launch big money movies. On the contrary, we may actually see them put more money into the publishing side. The cost of making great comic books is a rounding error in the world of a big budget movie universe.

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

apacseller wrote:
Ahahahah-hahahaHAHAHAHAHA....ow, hurt myself there...sorry...

krylox
Favorite character: Armstrong

Post by krylox »

SuperMage wrote:
krylox wrote:
They can keep doing that, but they don't need to publish any non-trans media books to do it. They'll make new stories, within the confines of what's deemed relevant to DMG's larger media plans. I don't expect to see riskier books similar to Divinity or Savage being greenlit. Mintz was pretty transparent with his intentions. His aim is corporate synergy with the upcoming VEI cinematic universe. Does another volume War Mother add to that synergy? Maybe after they find a film studio interested in a War Mother movie. I expect fewer mini-series moving forward. Sadly
They will only find interested parties in a War Mother movie, if they have a great story to sell. And that's where the comics come into play...

possumgrease
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.
I had the 1,000,000th post on this board and all I got was this lousy custom ranking.

Post by possumgrease »

Elveen wrote:
For me, it's Jim, Dino, and Greg. The caretakers for the Valiant Universe.

will there be a 4th name on the list?

So well said.

SuperMage

Post by SuperMage »

krylox wrote:
SuperMage wrote:
krylox wrote:
They will only find interested parties in a War Mother movie, if they have a great story to sell. And that's where the comics come into play...
https://www.newsarama.com/32032-report- ... he-cw.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They sold a Dr. Mirage t.v. series this morning with only 9 VEI issues published. We have to see this as a precedent. War Mother has four issues. Maybe they'll publish two more mini-series, and feel that's enough to let the series sit until it becomes relevant to them. It's not that I want this to happen.

Look at Marvel. The bulk of their publishing slate is designed around what's being done in the film/t.v. universe. The Netflix characters get ongoings to coincide with their t.v. shows. A new Defenders comic is launched with a lineup identical to the Netflix show. The Guardians of the Galaxy are completely revamped to be identical to the film franchise. The Inhumans are suddenly pushed into the center of the Marvel universe, because originally an Inhumans movie was set to be released in 2019. The Fantastic Four literally disappear from the MCU. The X-Men are butchered beyond repair. All these decisions are made so that the publishing line matches the film line, and that titles that are published are published with the purpose of adding source material to announced films. Inhumans being the perfect example. Can't have an Inhuman film trilogy if there's hardly any books to work with. So obviously Marvel starts publishing more Inhumans comics. Then it becomes a t.v. show that bombs. No more Inhumans comics. Marvel did some other interesting publishing moves.

Relaunching Thunderbolts with Winter Soldier as the leader, after Winter Soldier was introduced in the MCU. Publishing a Black Widow ongoing, after Black Widow was introduced in the MCU. Relaunching Black Panther, after his film was announced. So on and so forth. Most of the comics they published were books that were clearly meant to either provide source material to announced projects, or hopefully be used as pitches for possible projects in the MCU.

Mintz's comments, to me, made it pretty clear he's going to introduce a Marvel style publishing line. We'll still get War Mother, Savage, and Britannia, but they won't be priorities anymore. But like I said earlier, they'll probably rotate out character in the publishing line when they feel they want to push a different IP into the spotlight.

Joshua
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot 1
Favorite character: Probably Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Ryp

Post by Joshua »

I like the characters. I would buy the books if they were just okay. I bought all the GK stuff Dynamite did and most kf that blew...

drmirage
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
WOW! OMG BBQ! Thats crazy!
Valiant fan since: 1990
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by drmirage »

Great post Greg!

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

SuperMage wrote:
krylox wrote:
SuperMage wrote:
krylox wrote:
https://www.newsarama.com/32032-report- ... he-cw.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They sold a Dr. Mirage t.v. series this morning with only 9 VEI issues published. We have to see this as a precedent. War Mother has four issues. Maybe they'll publish two more mini-series, and feel that's enough to let the series sit until it becomes relevant to them. It's not that I want this to happen.

Look at Marvel. The bulk of their publishing slate is designed around what's being done in the film/t.v. universe. The Netflix characters get ongoings to coincide with their t.v. shows. A new Defenders comic is launched with a lineup identical to the Netflix show. The Guardians of the Galaxy are completely revamped to be identical to the film franchise. The Inhumans are suddenly pushed into the center of the Marvel universe, because originally an Inhumans movie was set to be released in 2019. The Fantastic Four literally disappear from the MCU. The X-Men are butchered beyond repair. All these decisions are made so that the publishing line matches the film line, and that titles that are published are published with the purpose of adding source material to announced films. Inhumans being the perfect example. Can't have an Inhuman film trilogy if there's hardly any books to work with. So obviously Marvel starts publishing more Inhumans comics. Then it becomes a t.v. show that bombs. No more Inhumans comics. Marvel did some other interesting publishing moves.

Relaunching Thunderbolts with Winter Soldier as the leader, after Winter Soldier was introduced in the MCU. Publishing a Black Widow ongoing, after Black Widow was introduced in the MCU. Relaunching Black Panther, after his film was announced. So on and so forth. Most of the comics they published were books that were clearly meant to either provide source material to announced projects, or hopefully be used as pitches for possible projects in the MCU.

Mintz's comments, to me, made it pretty clear he's going to introduce a Marvel style publishing line. We'll still get War Mother, Savage, and Britannia, but they won't be priorities anymore. But like I said earlier, they'll probably rotate out character in the publishing line when they feel they want to push a different IP into the spotlight.
Look at the date of this 2016 OLD article

Valiant's DR. MIRAGE Finalized as THE CW TV Show
By Chris Arrant, Editor
November 16, 2016 12:43pm ET

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Very well said Greg. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point, but so very sorry for Dinesh to be leaving, especially like this. (I know he's being kept on as a 'consultant', but let's be real here. That is just a bone to throw to us and to keep a little continuity going for a bit.)

That twitter post of Dinesh quoting Jim Shooter from 1992 is just heartbreaking. :cry:
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

SuperMage

Post by SuperMage »

betterthanezra wrote:

By Chris Arrant, Editor

-Brian
Article is old, but it was updated this morning. Immediately after the DMG announcement they updated the article with the annoucement that Dr. Mirage was officially becoming a series.

Within hours of DMG takeover being announced we got an update on a project that had been on hold for 14 months.

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

SuperMage wrote:
betterthanezra wrote:

By Chris Arrant, Editor

-Brian
Article is old, but it was updated this morning. Immediately after the DMG announcement they updated the article with the annoucement that Dr. Mirage was officially becoming a series.

Within hours of DMG takeover being announced we got an update on a project that had been on hold for 14 months.
Quoted from my post in another thread about all today's news:
"Is there any possibility that DMG was dragging their feet and slowing things down in order to trigger the clause that gave them full control? (I know, all we need in this is more conspiracy theory mixed in with everything going on today. Sorry, but I gotta voice the thought in my head.)"
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)