ValiantFans.com Board - Since 2004

Message Board Top Level | Main Website | Price Guide | Book Release History | Newest Books |
It is currently Sep 18, 2018 12:30:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Rookie cards...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:36:13 pm 
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:39:27 am
Posts: 21321
Location: Indoors
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
I used to collect baseball cards, and apart from some 1950s Bowman cards, there was exactly one rookie card for baseball players until 1981.
Starting in 1981, there were three... Topps, Fleer, Donruss.
Then you throw in Sportflics, Score, Upper Deck and even Bowman again by 1989.

So, while we complain about comic books having too many variants in the 21st century, we were already looking at 7 or 8 rookie cards for the same player before 1990.
In the 1990s, it because a "chase card" (just like comic 1:XX variants) game so there were even more rookie cards within the same brands. Topps, Topps Chrome, Topps Chrome Refractor, etc.

Fast forward all the way to the year 2000, and you get to Tom Brady's rookie year for football cards.

Two points:
1) This card just sold for $250,000 http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2229 ... 50000-ebay

2) This statement from the article about a collector who "has all 135 of Brady's rookie cards, most of them in the best grade."

All 135 of Brady's rookie cards.

... and here I was thinking that five first appearances for Divinity in 2012 was too many. facepalm


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie cards...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:07:11 pm 
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:27:32 am
Posts: 23252
Location: phx az (east valley)
ya and he was a super low pick that year others had over 400 some now a days had 500 between the different autos sigs jerseys auto jerseys ect


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie cards...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:14:23 am 
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:39:27 am
Posts: 21321
Location: Indoors
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
superman-prime wrote:
ya and he was a super low pick that year others had over 400 some now a days had 500 between the different autos sigs jerseys auto jerseys ect
Great point and...

that's nuts!


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie cards...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:19:21 am 
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:27:32 am
Posts: 23252
Location: phx az (east valley)
theres still normally only 2 or 3 accepted as a rookie the rest get left to the way side ironiclly baseball figured this out theres a spacific set of rules they made when they saw this coming where most people only have 10 to 20 rookies still too much but its a imrprovement


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie cards...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:37:05 pm 
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:30:40 am
Posts: 3057
Location: Liberated from enemy lines!
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton
superman-prime wrote:
theres still normally only 2 or 3 accepted as a rookie the rest get left to the way side ironiclly baseball figured this out theres a spacific set of rules they made when they saw this coming where most people only have 10 to 20 rookies still too much but its a imrprovement



Didn't baseball recently go back to only one company producing cards, Topps?


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie cards...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:29:06 pm 
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:40:14 am
Posts: 3213
Location: Utah
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)
maraxusofkeld wrote:
superman-prime wrote:
theres still normally only 2 or 3 accepted as a rookie the rest get left to the way side ironiclly baseball figured this out theres a spacific set of rules they made when they saw this coming where most people only have 10 to 20 rookies still too much but its a imrprovement



Didn't baseball recently go back to only one company producing cards, Topps?


Yes, but they make multiple sets with multiple "chase" cards.

_________________
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.


Top
  Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie cards...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:25:00 pm 
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:27:32 am
Posts: 23252
Location: phx az (east valley)
panini still makes baseball even though unlicenced topps makes about 20 sets a year and then all the inserts its better but i like 2 companies fighting it out 1 just can do safe stuff and theres no push to improve product in a hard monopoly


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie cards...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:47:13 pm 
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
I was young and silly and only read Marvel books.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:30:40 am
Posts: 3057
Location: Liberated from enemy lines!
Valiant fan since: UNITY
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus
Favorite artist: Bob Layton
jeremycoe wrote:
maraxusofkeld wrote:
superman-prime wrote:
theres still normally only 2 or 3 accepted as a rookie the rest get left to the way side ironiclly baseball figured this out theres a spacific set of rules they made when they saw this coming where most people only have 10 to 20 rookies still too much but its a imrprovement



Didn't baseball recently go back to only one company producing cards, Topps?


Yes, but they make multiple sets with multiple "chase" cards.



Does anyone think the bigger issue is CCG's killed sports cards, like Magic, Pokemon, etc?


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie cards...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:24:42 pm 
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:27:32 am
Posts: 23252
Location: phx az (east valley)
sports cards death lead to overproduced comics lead to overproduced magic like fallen empires all crashed then slowly creept back

early magic and pokemon are great but now both are back to over production


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie cards...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:23:15 am 
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:05:45 am
Posts: 3653
Location: Chicago, IL
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
I fell out of sports cards completely following Topps first Stadium club set. It was a gorgeous set at the time, but the price point pushed me out. Now ot seems that set building is as confusimg as modern comics renumbering.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie cards...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:08:02 pm 
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:33:31 am
Posts: 1455
Location: Astral Plane
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS
IMJ wrote:
I fell out of sports cards completely following Topps first Stadium club set. It was a gorgeous set at the time, but the price point pushed me out. Now ot seems that set building is as confusimg as modern comics renumbering.


Yeah. I fell out around the same time and for roughly the same reason. My card shop also started getting comics around that time and my focus shifted there. I know longer had to rely on what I could find in those Walmart comic packs.

_________________
Multum In Parvo


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie cards...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:42:16 pm 
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:05:45 am
Posts: 3653
Location: Chicago, IL
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Those first three years of Upper Deck sets were amazing. I still remember that I pulled the Griffey out of a pack in '89. Then, that Christmas my Dad got me the '89 Upper Deck factory set. I think it cost him like $125 or $100 at the time. Back then for a new Factory Set that was unheard of. I've still got it.


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie cards...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:08:13 am 
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:33:31 am
Posts: 1455
Location: Astral Plane
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS
IMJ wrote:
Those first three years of Upper Deck sets were amazing. I still remember that I pulled the Griffey out of a pack in '89. Then, that Christmas my Dad got me the '89 Upper Deck factory set. I think it cost him like $125 or $100 at the time. Back then for a new Factory Set that was unheard of. I've still got it.


That was a great set. I got a box of Upper Deck cards for Christmas. I think they all but guaranteed at least one Griffey card per box. I did get one Griffey card. It was my prized possession for awhile. Then I let some card dealer at a card show convince my pre-teen self that I should trade it for two Bo Jackson rookie cards around the time of his career ending injury. :!: Last time I looked that Griffey card was worth about the same as it was back then. The internet has certainly made it easier to track down what at that time was hard to find cards.

_________________
Multum In Parvo


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Rookie cards...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:31:38 am 
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:23:19 pm
Posts: 3968
Location: Otown
IMJ wrote:
Those first three years of Upper Deck sets were amazing. I still remember that I pulled the Griffey out of a pack in '89. Then, that Christmas my Dad got me the '89 Upper Deck factory set. I think it cost him like $125 or $100 at the time. Back then for a new Factory Set that was unheard of. I've still got it.


Not to rehash this dead thread, but I'm sure I have a bunch of those factory sets somewhere and you see them locally online for sale dirt cheap. Just so abundant and not a lot of demand.....I feel sportscards is very speculative driven, there's a monthly comic and card show I do as a dealer, at least half the guys there are cards and it feels like all the buyers/sellers are speculators - I could see that crashing at any time (hoping for it actually because the comic dealers are struggling for space despite a number of large and diverse sellers).


Top
  Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group