xo 1 invictus is so dumb it put holes in my brain

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
xo 1 invictus is so dumb it put holes in my brain

Post by valiantdude »

is comic writing dead? this is as bad as the hopeless run or even worse in some ways.. script seems like it was from a 10 yr old.. art is atrocious and unreadable.. who buys this *SQUEE*? how could they possibly produce this? who approves this? wow this is really bad

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Re: xo 1 invictus is so dumb it put holes in my brain

Post by syzhang28 »

I was going to avoid this based on the previews but felt compelled after I read your post. I'm shocked. Absolutely shocked. It's just lazy and unprofessional. Even the character descriptions in the front are horrible.

"Emperor of the Novus Romanus. He has been looking for the X-O armor for a long time."

It's x-o MANOWAR. This is an official release from Valiant, don't use a reader short hand.
What professional writer says "for a long time" in this sentence? Your use of words is your weapon. Use that weapon.

"Currently a captive of Ursus Nox, after helping Aric free the Geomancer Ala Ana, who was being used as engine for the ship."

used as AN engine!!

facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm facepalm
Last edited by syzhang28 on Fri May 17, 2024 3:22:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Comic writing is not dead. There are many good books from other publishers. Beneath the Trees is amazing. Dwellings is really good. etc.

But until Valiant hires talented creators or professional editors again comic writing might as well be dead at Valiant...

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Really, it's just depressing. This reads like bad fan fic. Total misunderstanding of the character (no he has not lived a life of only violence. The wonderful X-O Manowar #0 that Clay Mann did so beautifully showed that), z grade ideas (gone is both the hard science of Shooter and the blockbuster ideas of Dinesh and 2012), poor editing, poor visuals. Feels like a after thought licensed comic from Zenescope or Dynamite. I'm just sad now.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

First Valiant pick-up in years.

Massively disappointed.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

This was…not great. Art was inconsistent (started off terrible, picked up a bit later). Ending was awkward. Aric can’t talk to Shanharra but he can still use the armor just fine?
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

BugsySig wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:17:40 am This was…not great. Art was inconsistent (started off terrible, picked up a bit later). Ending was awkward. Aric can’t talk to Shanharra but he can still use the armor just fine?
Everytime there is a post in this thread I click immediately. I so want to be in the minority. I so want Valiant to succeed. I don't know why but this comic is the first time I feel like hope is lost. It's been too many years since DMG took over. Too many big new launches that were bad. Valiant isn't going to turn this around. It's going to sink lower and lower and the disappear again for a decade maybe forever. I want to be wrong so badly.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

syzhang28 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:20:49 pm
BugsySig wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:17:40 am This was…not great. Art was inconsistent (started off terrible, picked up a bit later). Ending was awkward. Aric can’t talk to Shanharra but he can still use the armor just fine?
Everytime there is a post in this thread I click immediately. I so want to be in the minority. I so want Valiant to succeed. I don't know why but this comic is the first time I feel like hope is lost. It's been too many years since DMG took over. Too many big new launches that were bad. Valiant isn't going to turn this around. It's going to sink lower and lower and the disappear again for a decade maybe forever. I want to be wrong so badly.
I want you to be wrong too. :cry: :cry:

Dallow Spicer1
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Shanhara taking was only brought in during the Kindt run, so this is just basically pre Kindt (and hopefully stays that way).

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

valiantdude wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:52:04 am is comic writing dead? this is as bad as the hopeless run or even worse in some ways.. script seems like it was from a 10 yr old.. art is atrocious and unreadable.. who buys this *SQUEE*? how could they possibly produce this? who approves this? wow this is really bad
FYI there’s a published issue section for reviews. I didn’t see this thread so started one there.

IMO you’re all way off, this was a decent issue and continues an interesting concept. In no reality could the art be described as ‘atrocious’, that’s crazy talk :lol: I’m not saying it A class but with low selling books I doubt Alien can continue to pay for a Liam Sharp level artist. My only issue was the manga style faces.

This is levels above the Hallum run, ok it’s not Venditti but it’s solid enough for now.

Let’s be glass half full on this one fellas :thumb:

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:54:05 am
valiantdude wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:52:04 am is comic writing dead? this is as bad as the hopeless run or even worse in some ways.. script seems like it was from a 10 yr old.. art is atrocious and unreadable.. who buys this *SQUEE*? how could they possibly produce this? who approves this? wow this is really bad
FYI there’s a published issue section for reviews. I didn’t see this thread so started one there.

IMO you’re all way off, this was a decent issue and continues an interesting concept. In no reality could the art be described as ‘atrocious’, that’s crazy talk :lol: I’m not saying it A class but with low selling books I doubt Alien can continue to pay for a Liam Sharp level artist. My only issue was the manga style faces.

This is levels above the Hallum run, ok it’s not Venditti but it’s solid enough for now.

Uh, Barry Windsor-Smith, Joe Quesada, Bart Sears, Cary Nord, Tomas Giorello, Lewis LaRosa...X-O deserves better than this. If we let them think they can get away with z grade comics then we'll only get z grade comics. Valiant has produced A+ level stories and should continue to be doing that.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

syzhang28 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:25:20 am

Uh, Barry Windsor-Smith, Joe Quesada, Bart Sears, Cary Nord, Tomas Giorello, Lewis LaRosa...X-O deserves better than this. If we let them think they can get away with z grade comics then we'll only get z grade comics. Valiant has produced A+ level stories and should continue to be doing that.
Yeah but A list creators want A list pay, the reality (I assume) is that money is very limited after DMG destroyed the company. At least Alien have the right intention. They’re certainly not knocking it out of the park but there are some decent efforts, this being one of them.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

i dont mean to be rude.. but this is not a real comic by any standard other than colored pics printed on paper with word balloons.. laziest hack nonwriting ever.. this is toilet paper, on par with the lowest grade comics of all time.. i feel like AI could write a better comic than this, and it was 2 actual humans? its just *SQUEE* up, because comics are such a grand art form.. and this is like atrocious.. it just makes me sad, because pre social media that 1990 - 2002 era there were real comic people making real comics.. it had so much potential.. but cannabilized itself always chasing short term profits.. circling the drain.. someone mentioned it felt like this book was a low grade licensed comic from a small company.. isnt that what it is now? with alien?

prediction: alien will give up license after 1yr or 2yr contract is over (whatever they signed).. they will not break even.. their strategy is to make the break even point what they determined is the amount of people that will buy valiant automatically, so no loss, and anything above is bonus.. but they didnt realize is even the automatic people have some standards, they cant put out gibberish.. which is what this is..

PS.. remember all the artists that never got paid by chi-liant?
did alien pay those bills?? hell no!
they still got screwed..

PPS what ive learned in life is that you absorb you business partners karma, if you have one.. a lot of the same production names on those alien books still connected with that last iteration..

its DOA

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:35:43 am

Yeah but A list creators want A list pay, the reality (I assume) is that money is very limited after DMG destroyed the company. At least Alien have the right intention. They’re certainly not knocking it out of the park but there are some decent efforts, this being one of them.
Do you remember all the talk of money ball when Dinesh launched Valiant? They were not paying a list pay then. I doubt they were ever paying a list pay, what they were doing was working their *SQUEE* off, being super creative and making sure the creators were involved in amazing comics. That's what Alien needs to do. Outwork, outthink and outlast the competition. No body here had heard of Robert Venditti in 2012 or Lewis LaRosa in 2013 or Tomas Giorello in 2014 etc. Bad Idea is probably spending the same money and the comics are night and day between this and those. Compare the art from this issue of X-O to the pages Bad Idea are showing from the new Giorello comic or the new pages Wayshack is posting.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

valiantdude wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:09:23 pm i dont mean to be rude.. but this is not a real comic by any standard other than colored pics printed on paper with word balloons.. laziest hack nonwriting ever.. this is toilet paper, on par with the lowest grade comics of all time.. i feel like AI could write a better comic than this, and it was 2 actual humans? its just *SQUEE* up, because comics are such a grand art form.. and this is like atrocious.. it just makes me sad, because pre social media that 1990 - 2002 era there were real comic people making real comics.. it had so much potential.. but cannabilized itself always chasing short term profits.. circling the drain.. someone mentioned it felt like this book was a low grade licensed comic from a small company.. isnt that what it is now? with alien?

prediction: alien will give up license after 1yr or 2yr contract is over (whatever they signed).. they will not break even.. their strategy is to make the break even point what they determined is the amount of people that will buy valiant automatically, so no loss, and anything above is bonus.. but they didnt realize is even the automatic people have some standards, they cant put out gibberish.. which is what this is..

PS.. remember all the artists that never got paid by chi-liant?
they still got screwed..

PPS what ive learned in life is that you absorb you business partners karma, if you have one.. a lot of the same production names on those alien books still connected with that last iteration..

its DOA
There have been lots of great comics since 2002 though I do agree with your point. I just wouldn't discount 2012 Valiant or many comics today.

I think your prediction is spot on

I didn't even think about the creators that never got paid. Hard position for Alien to be in but they should still do the right thing.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:10:54 am

Do you remember all the talk of money ball when Dinesh launched Valiant? They were not paying a list pay then. I doubt they were ever paying a list pay, what they were doing was working their *SQUEE* off, being super creative and making sure the creators were involved in amazing comics. That's what Alien needs to do. Outwork, outthink and outlast the competition. No body here had heard of Robert Venditti in 2012 or Lewis LaRosa in 2013 or Tomas Giorello in 2014 etc. Bad Idea is probably spending the same money and the comics are night and day between this and those. Compare the art from this issue of X-O to the pages Bad Idea are showing from the new Giorello comic or the new pages Wayshack is posting.
I think Dinesh is a one off in the current day industry. To expect Alien to bring that same level of energy to a company they have a short term agreement with isn’t realistic. The criticism of this XO book is way over the top, this is significantly better than the Hallum version under DMG. I assume you all haven’t been reading the DMG books before Alien took over :lol:

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

i did via websites.. equally as bad, but something about the writing on this book is a couple degrees lower, you couldnt think it could go lower but it did..

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:59:58 am
syzhang28 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:10:54 am

I think Dinesh is a one off in the current day industry. To expect Alien to bring that same level of energy to a company they have a short term agreement with isn’t realistic. The criticism of this XO book is way over the top, this is significantly better than the Hallum version under DMG. I assume you all haven’t been reading the DMG books before Alien took over :lol:
Can we agree that both are bad lol?

It's rare to find another Dinesh but why does the next best option have to be so, so, so much worse? I feel the problem is they think of the characters as second rate which is making the stories only able to be second rate at best and when you add the lack of talent, the poor editorial and the cheap pay they must be offering then the stories become third rate or worse.

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

i just dont understand how these books are being made.. theyve been so bad for so long now, it just doesnt make sense.. theyre not making money, so someone is paying to put these books on the market

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

You people are all on drugs :lol:

I’m not saying this book is A class but it’s acceptable and massively better than DMG. To say this is worse than DMG is just trolling :P

Britannia was another very good release from Alien.

Some interesting stuff coming up too. Dan Abnet back on Rai (one of the few things DMG got right).

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

valiantdude wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:09:23 pm PS.. remember all the artists that never got paid by chi-liant?
they still got screwed..
i did via websites.. equally as bad, but something about the writing on this book is a couple degrees lower, you couldnt think it could go lower but it did..
You post both these things on the same day? So sorry you are mad the publisher didn’t pay the creators for the comic you pirated and didn’t enjoy reading. Get rekt, clown.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Chiclo wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:09:17 pm
valiantdude wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:09:23 pm PS.. remember all the artists that never got paid by chi-liant?
they still got screwed..
You post both these things on the same day? So sorry you are mad the publisher didn’t pay the creators for the comic you pirated and didn’t enjoy reading. Get rekt, clown.
:lol: great point!

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Chiclo wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:09:17 pm
they still got screwed..
Stealing creative work is bad but what really confuses me is how you get to not pay creators and then keep publishing? Don't creators talk? Don't they stick together?

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Is it better or worse than Turok Evolution?

valiantdude

Post by valiantdude »

dude.. gum guy.. ill never buy chi-liant.. ever.. but i will look at them on websites while im taking a *SQUEE* in the morning..