It's my turn.....(warning it's a long one)

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
It's my turn.....(warning it's a long one)

Post by betterthanezra »

Ok I'm finally going to post MY Valiant story. I have NO idea how long it's going to be so bear with me.

The first comic book I ever read wasn't Valiant it was Amazing Spider-man #139 (first grizzly) I was camping with my family near Sonora California....I was 12 years old. From that moment on I was HOOKED. I had to read more. So when I got back from the camping trip I went to my local Grocery store and purchased my FIRST new comics. Amazing Spider-man of course.

I was just in middle school still and of course it was SOOO uncool to have comics with you at school. I still didn't care. I collected ALL Marvel at this time.....to me DC was there ugly step-child. I was young and didn't know any better. Comics were MUCH cheaper at this time so I was buying every Marvel I could at the time.

Comics were a big part of my teenage years...they kept me out of so many problems that faced many other kids my age...namely getting into trouble. But they also made me unaware of all the stupid things people were doing to get into trouble......ok that made NO sense.

Move forward to High school I bought Magnus #1 the first week it came out at the comic shop I went to. I loved it. I read that issue so many times it was falling apart. It was SOO different from the marvel books I was reading.......when your reading so many Marvel titles anything would be fresh. Hell I was even reading Darkhawk...... :oops:

Problem was I couldn't find any other issues of Magnus until #4.....my retailer just wasn't getting anything in, or he did and I wasn't seeing it. I gave up on continuing magnus because I couldn't find it locally.

I continued my Marvel buying because well they were everywhere. But I kept Magnus in the back of my mind. School got in the way.....sneaking into my own prom (boy that's a hum-dinger of a story :wink: ) getting caught & banned from grad night to Disneyland......oh and GIRLS.

Then it happened. I walked into my comic shop and was floored by the UNITY #0 poster promoting the EPIC crossover. I had to have it. So I signed up and was going to get it. Read Unity #0 and everything changed. Valiant became my focus PERIOD. At the time comic shows were everywhere....and in the strangest places too. I was delivering newspapers at the time and one of my customers was an older guy that set up at cons about 100 miles from our town whenever they had them.
I worked my into his "gig"....I helped him set up and work his table every chance I got. We were doing sometimes 2 shows a month it was a GREAT education.

I was now buying pre-unity issues I was missing at the shows I was working at and trading various new marvels for them. I was still missing the "biggie" pre-unity books....Harbinger #1-4, Rai #3-4, Magnus #12 & Solar #10. I was invited to work with "Captain Collecto" at Wonder-Con 1993....my first really BIG show experience. Valiant was smoking HOT by this time. I made up my mind at the show to fill a missing pre-unity issue I needed. Harbinger #1 was selling for $100-125 at the show.....so I decided either Magnus #12 or Rai #4 both were selling for $75 and that's the most I have EVER paid to this day for a Valiant issue. I was making my mind up and decided on Rai #4 walked over to the table and the issue was GONE. Sold minutes ago to some other person. I RAN over to the other dealer selling Magnus #12 and bought in on the spot. Yeah I still have THAT copy in my collection. Remember at that time Turok was just announced as getting his own title so it was going through the roof.

I have pictures of the Valiant Booth from Wonder-Con 1993 I need to find those and share. They are very cool.
I also bought my first original art at that show NOT Valiant but it started my obsession with the medium.

I continued to travel with Captain Collecto over the next 3-5 years....doing local shows and my Valiant collection was growing. I became the "valiant expert" at the local shows with dealers asking me questions about characters and what was going on in all the titles. I was very close to getting married right when Birthquake hit. Twice the titles except for Shadowman & Solar the only two that remained monthly. Twice the titles meant twice the amount of money each month. Even the BAD titles (psi-lords)......yeah I bought them all. I almost gave up....when X-O was being written by Ron Marz it turned into a toilet read........seriously you could read it in under 5 minutes and it sucked. Sears and Smith were putting out nice art but the book wasn't very good.

Valiant went from a company known for tight continuity to this? I just about had enough when all the sudden titles were disappearing......gone. Books were being solicitated and never came out. Still waiting for my Shamons Tears/Turok mini.......Hello! I kept buying and started writing to Acclaim. My first letter was printed in Bloodshot #41...(look it up first letter on the page :thumb: ). I was writing the titles I thought didn't suck. Then I read Shadowman #43 & Magnus #64. I got really *SQUEE* off and wrote scathing letters to Acclaim about it. I received a package in the mail from Acclaim with a Psi-Lords #1 GOLD and a thank you letter about my passion for Magnus...they wrote to me saying they have Magnus planned in a few mini-series next summer. Yeah that made me feel better :!: .

Then one month later I received a letter from Europe.....it was from BOB HALL. he personally wrote me concerning my letter about SM #43. "Brian, your the only person who wrote about Jacks apparent demise hence the reason the reason I chose to end the book. I notice each month the sales numbers falling and instead of writing a nice ending I left Jack falling."
he then told me about his project called Armed & Dangerous for Acclaim and asked me to write him what I thought.....

In Fact I just found this letter and have posted it for you to see :thumb:

ImageImage

I did and that letter was printed in A&D #3 of the first story arc. Bob and I have stayed in touch since. It's funny the first time I got to meet BOB HALL at the SDCC was also my first experiance meeting a VC.com member x-omatic....we were both buying original art from him. That was before the reboot (of this message board) by the way. I was Shadowsip.

So VH-1 was now DEAD. I was working at a comic shop in Modesto called Gotham City Comics that might be the best job I ever had. At this time NO one was buying Valiant even pre-unity books were in everyone's quarter bins. I NEVER stopped buying them. Even though I answered to my wife countless times why I needed yet another copy of Harbinger #1...... :D

Acclaim decided to relaunch...VH-2. I was aboard full force. I was crazy...I would call the Acclaim office and try getting someone there to talk with me. Jeff Gomez took my call one day and we became quick friends. I remember Jeff calling me countless times asking me to write a letter before he goes into work the next day on a certain title. I happily did
I think I ended up having 11 letters printed in VH-2. Jeff had me sit in with him on the phone when he had editor meetings and I got to hear the whole thing it was so cool. I finally got to meet Jeff at the 2005 SDCC Valiant Open conference.

I also got to know some guy named Joe Petrilak. Joe was me on the East coast........he was able to hang out at the Acclaim offices. he started Acclaim INK and had the very first Valiant fan website. Mind you being the "Valiant guy" at this time raised more eyebrows and follow that with snickering. I also meet GREAT Valiant fans like magnusr, Sonicdan & Anthony K.. These guys including Greg kept the Valiant Flame lit for so long when NO one cared. These Valiant fans are very dear to my heart and if Valiant had a Hall of Fame for fans they would be in on the first ballot. Joe you started my original art obsession with Valiant.....I thank you. He helped me also get a Save ninjak petition going on the web in 1997-98 when I found out from Gomez that it was the first VH-2 title to be canceled. Yeah I liked Ninjak. But I did it also because it reminded me of VH-1 again & I don't mean the book......the pattern. I knew that once Ninjak got canceled others would follow....and they did.

When Valiant characters show up in print again I'll be there.......what else am I going to do? I've invested to much of myself not too. I am forgetting stuff and when it comes to me I'll fill in more. So there you go. It's long.....but it's true.....I wasn't wearing any helmet (I swear) the whole time :wink:

UPDATE : Captain Collecto passed on 4/3/09 10:45 PM.

As of 2017 I'll be opening my own Comic Book shop called "The Comic Web" so I have now come full circle I'll be selling Valiant Comics to people from now on. So excited to be opening the next chapter in this.

I'm also writing the History of Valiant (or whatever it will be called when it gets published) an informative look at the three times the Valiant Universe has been resurrected and the story behind it.

-Brian
Last edited by betterthanezra on Thu May 18, 2017 8:23:05 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Jaknife
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Jaknife »

sweet. :thumb:

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

GREAT story, Brian!

We'll be right there with you when (if?) new Valiants hit the stands!

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Excellent story.

k_c_collectibles
Walmart - ALWAYS low prices!
Walmart - ALWAYS low prices!

Post by k_c_collectibles »

Brian,

That is a cool story! MUCH better than mine which I will also put on here one of these days...

Chris
Hundreds of Valiant and Acclaim comics for GREAT prices! http://www.webstore.com/shop.php?user_id=96791

Chuck
Spartan s-p-i-r-i-t spirit, Go Spartans!
Spartan s-p-i-r-i-t spirit, Go Spartans!

Post by Chuck »

:thumb:

tcolli
Forget Col Sanders - I'm the Chicken Man
Forget Col Sanders - I'm the Chicken Man

Post by tcolli »

Welcome to the boa....oh wait. Great story :thumb:
I do chicken right!

childres
The more you post, the more you want to.
The more you post, the more you want to.

Post by childres »

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

Can we add to our own story?

Just wondering....

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Super story... way cool!
betterthanezra wrote:Can we add to our own story?

Just wondering....

-Brian

yes... please do! :thumb:

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

Post pics of your first Magnus #1 :thumb: :thumb:

betterthanezra

Post by betterthanezra »

Unblessed wrote:Post pics of your first Magnus #1 :thumb: :thumb:
yeah I could do that..... :hm:

-Brian
I'm on Twitter follow me

https://twitter.com/#!/shadowsip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My Valiant story here

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

I don't own the issues, maybe Bri could scan some of the lettercols he was in???

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

dac55
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dac55 »

Great Story man. :thumb:

David

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

Oh and post pics of your wife.

:D

:twisted:

Second_Death
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Second_Death »

Great story BTA. A true fan of the characters to stay with it all the way through. Write more when you remember the rest! Spiderman was my first exposure to comic books, also. I wish I could remember the issue but all my Spidey's were sold years ago. Fond are the memories of those 70's Spidey stories :cloud9:

Rufusharley
donkey-shorts!..uhh i mean..danke schön!
donkey-shorts!..uhh i mean..danke schön!

Post by Rufusharley »

:thumb: spiffy!

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Unblessed wrote:Oh and post pics of your wife.

Alot of them. :thumb:

steverino
Account deactivated by administrator.

Post by steverino »

Really kewl story, BTE. :thumb:

RobInOttawa
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by RobInOttawa »

I also got to know some guy named Joe Petrilak. Joe was me on the East coast........he was able to hang out at the Acclaim offices. he started Acclaim INK and had the very first VALIANT fan website. Mind you being the "VALIANT guy" at this time raised more eyebrows and follow that with snickering. I also meet GREAT VALIANT fans like magnusr, Sonicdan & Anthony K.. These guys including Greg kept the VALIANT Flame lit for so long when NO one cared. These VALIANT fans are very dear to my heart and if VALIANT had a Hall of Fame for fans they would be in on the first ballot. Joe you started my original art obsession with VALIANT
I'm really glad that you guys cared enough about valiant to keep the flame lit for others to find their way back. It was a great company with lots of potential.

If Valiant does return, I hope that the new owners will care enough to develop tight continuity, hire excellent writers, and not target a young demographic. When I was 17, I really appreciated that the pre-unity Valiant comics seemed written for a more mature audience. Reading Magnus Robot Fighter 1-8 and Solar 1-10 for the first time in 12 years, I'm still amazed and shocked at the great quality of stories.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

BTE, you added to your year-old post without actually adding anything yourself - just the newer guys reading it for the first time has brought fresh light to this thread!!!

-slym

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

jedimarley wrote:

Still waiting. :|

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Unblessed wrote:
jedimarley wrote:

Still waiting. :|
You and everyone else, bub!

-slym

The Mighty Drew
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by The Mighty Drew »

I finally got around to reading this, and I'm glad I did. (What can I say? I'm a lazy *SQUEE* and long posts typically scare me off.)

Fantastic story! :D :thumb:
19) VALIANT WILL RETURN.
It'll be a celebration of complete chaos and destruction.
It'll be a glorious time of weeping. The earth will shift on its axis.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Enjoyed reading your story BTE, thanks for posting it. Are you planning to update from time to time?

Being kind of new, the welcomes every one gets are great.