Question about history of CGC Sigs

Non-VALIANT items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

MedicAR
...formerly MagnusRF
...formerly MagnusRF

Post by MedicAR »

It's not unusual for CGC so give a book like this the Signature Series status. There are several books signed Star Wars actors, there's some Batman Forever books with Val Kilmer on them, tons of Heroes books with the actors on them, Hellraiser books signed by the actors that played the Cenobites(sp?), "Dead" books by George Romero who created the franchise but had nothing to do with that particular book, Nightmare on Elm Street books signed by Robert Englund, Army of Darkness by Bruce Campbell, Iron Man by Robert Downey Jr., Hellboy by Guillermo Del Toro and Ron Perlman....the list goes on and on.

Generally, if there is an association between the actor and the book, it's allowed.

dbostejano
Here's my not so custom custom.

Post by dbostejano »

MedicAR wrote:It's not unusual for CGC so give a book like this the Signature Series status. There are several books signed Star Wars actors, there's some Batman Forever books with Val Kilmer on them, tons of Heroes books with the actors on them, Hellraiser books signed by the actors that played the Cenobites(sp?), "Dead" books by George Romero who created the franchise but had nothing to do with that particular book, Nightmare on Elm Street books signed by Robert Englund, Army of Darkness by Bruce Campbell, Iron Man by Robert Downey Jr., Hellboy by Guillermo Del Toro and Ron Perlman....the list goes on and on.

Generally, if there is an association between the actor and the book, it's allowed.
I wonder what those books sell for...I guess I need to research this. I know this, Tony's auto can be had on the bay for 5-10 bucks on a nice 5 x 10. I don't know what he charges at the cons but he's relatively easy to attain.

MedicAR
...formerly MagnusRF
...formerly MagnusRF

Post by MedicAR »

dbostejano wrote:But I agree with ZWH, if it wasn't signed this book would be a real nice addition, it being 9.9 and all. I think 200-400 for this book unsigned would be fair. He might have ruined it a bit for the true collectors, and I don't think casual Halloween fans are going to pay the kind of money he's asking. But we'll see.
I completely understand where you're coming from. For the longest time, I hated the concept of CGC SS and thought that these people were ruining perfectly good comic books by having people scribble on them!
:lol:

Right now, about one quarter of all my CGC books are Signature Series. I think they're a lot of fun and that the signatures make them really unique. Not everyone feels that way, and that's okay too! Collect what you like, it's all about fun, right?
:thumb:

MedicAR
...formerly MagnusRF
...formerly MagnusRF

Post by MedicAR »

dbostejano wrote:
MedicAR wrote:It's not unusual for CGC so give a book like this the Signature Series status. There are several books signed Star Wars actors, there's some Batman Forever books with Val Kilmer on them, tons of Heroes books with the actors on them, Hellraiser books signed by the actors that played the Cenobites(sp?), "Dead" books by George Romero who created the franchise but had nothing to do with that particular book, Nightmare on Elm Street books signed by Robert Englund, Army of Darkness by Bruce Campbell, Iron Man by Robert Downey Jr., Hellboy by Guillermo Del Toro and Ron Perlman....the list goes on and on.

I wonder what those books sell for...I guess I need to research this. I know this, Tony's auto can be had on the bay for 5-10 bucks on a nice 5 x 10. I don't know what he charges at the cons but he's relatively easy to attain.
Romero can be had for $85-150 on a 9.8 book. Englund fetches around $100-125 on a 9.8. I haven't seen a Bruce Campbell book sold, but those are pretty coveted by the owners. The Val Kilmer book brought around $150, but I think it was only a 9.4 or 9.6. The Downey Iron Man books took off at around $400 for a 9.2 if memory serves. The Star Wars books seem to come and go depending on the actors. I just won a Hellboy II The Golden Army freebie in 9.8 by Mignola and Del Toro for $105 and feel like I stole it. :devil:

dbostejano

Post by dbostejano »

MedicAR wrote:
dbostejano wrote:But I agree with ZWH, if it wasn't signed this book would be a real nice addition, it being 9.9 and all. I think 200-400 for this book unsigned would be fair. He might have ruined it a bit for the true collectors, and I don't think casual Halloween fans are going to pay the kind of money he's asking. But we'll see.
I completely understand where you're coming from. For the longest time, I hated the concept of CGC SS and thought that these people were ruining perfectly good comic books by having people scribble on them!

Right now, about one quarter of all my CGC books are Signature Series. I think they're a lot of fun and that the signatures make them really unique. Not everyone feels that way, and that's okay too! Collect what you like, it's all about fun, right?
:thumb:
Don't get me wrong I have no problem with the concept of CGC sig series, but I would much rather have B. Pulido or Nuttman signing this book than Tony. But it's still a nice piece regardless of what I think, it's a tough book for me, for a few reasons. The book by it self is rare ony 2500, it's an older book so doesn't come up very often, it's in 9.9 condition, then there's the sig of the first actor to play Mike and it makes me go :hm: . It would be like Tobey Mcguire signing a Spiderman 1 Plaitinum in 9.9 condition :!: :lol:

dbostejano

Post by dbostejano »

MedicAR wrote:
dbostejano wrote:

Romero can be had for $85-150 on a 9.8 book. Englund fetches around $100-125 on a 9.8. I haven't seen a Bruce Campbell book sold, but those are pretty coveted by the owners. The Val Kilmer book brought around $150, but I think it was only a 9.4 or 9.6. The Downey Iron Man books took off at around $400 for a 9.2 if memory serves. The Star Wars books seem to come and go depending on the actors. I just won a Hellboy II The Golden Army freebie in 9.8 by Mignola and Del Toro for $105 and feel like I stole it. :devil:
I agree with you there, I don't like this particular book but Mignola and Del Toro on this book is nice for that price.

This Halloween book with John Carpentar's sig on it.....would have me all :drool: I would even be happy with several sigs of all the actors that have played Mike on this book, but just Tony, man it really disappoints me...lol

MedicAR
...formerly MagnusRF
...formerly MagnusRF

Post by MedicAR »

dbostejano wrote:I agree with you there, I don't like this particular book but Mignola and Del Toro on this book is nice for that price.

This Halloween book with John Carpentar's sig on it.....would have me all :drool: I would even be happy with several sigs of all the actors that have played Mike on this book, but just Tony, man it really disappoints me...lol
You don't like Hellboy!?!?! :o Them's fightin' words! :mad:

Something to keep in mind is that you can always add signatures to the book later. There's a horror show coming up with a few of the Halloween actors this fall, you could contact a witness that's attending, send them the book, get more sigs, then have it regraded. Keep inmind there's the cost of getting it to the witness, the fees charged by the actors, the submission fee to CGC and shipping back to you as well as any fees fromthe witness.

That being said, I don't know that I would do it with this particular book. Every signature added is another opportunity for damage to the book and 9.9 is a really nice grade.

If you're interested in getting one done at the horror show or any other show, let me know and I can put you in touch with some good witnesses.

dbostejano

Post by dbostejano »

MedicAR wrote:
dbostejano wrote:I agree with you there, I don't like this particular book but Mignola and Del Toro on this book is nice for that price.

You don't like Hellboy!?!?! :o Them's fightin' words! :mad:

Something to keep in mind is that you can always add signatures to the book later. There's a horror show coming up with a few of the Halloween actors this fall, you could contact a witness that's attending, send them the book, get more sigs, then have it regraded. Keep inmind there's the cost of getting it to the witness, the fees charged by the actors, the submission fee to CGC and shipping back to you as well as any fees fromthe witness.

That being said, I don't know that I would do it with this particular book. Every signature added is another opportunity for damage to the book and 9.9 is a really nice grade.

If you're interested in getting one done at the horror show or any other show, let me know and I can put you in touch with some good witnesses.
No no....I like Hellboy I don't like the Freebie book... :P

But no I agree with you I wouldn't open it up. It's a nice book, it's like I said earlier, do you ever feel like people put stuff on the bay because they know the stupid buyer is out there???? :lol: :hm:

MedicAR
...formerly MagnusRF
...formerly MagnusRF

Post by MedicAR »

dbostejano wrote:But no I agree with you I wouldn't open it up. It's a nice book, it's like I said earlier, do you ever feel like people put stuff on the bay because they know the stupid buyer is out there???? :lol: :hm:
Yeah, I've been on both sides of that eqation more than once! :lol:

dbostejano

Post by dbostejano »

MedicAR wrote:
dbostejano wrote:But no I agree with you I wouldn't open it up. It's a nice book, it's like I said earlier, do you ever feel like people put stuff on the bay because they know the stupid buyer is out there???? :lol: :hm:
Yeah, I've been on both sides of that eqation more than once! :lol:
So he wants 400 and it's says he's firm on that price. I hate passing it up but at that price it's just not worth it even for me. :(

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

dbostejano wrote:
Don't get me wrong I have no problem with the concept of CGC sig series, but I would much rather have B. Pulido or Nuttman signing this book than Tony. But it's still a nice piece regardless of what I think, it's a tough book for me, for a few reasons. The book by it self is rare ony 2500, it's an older book so doesn't come up very often, it's in 9.9 condition, then there's the sig of the first actor to play Mike and it makes me go :hm: . It would be like Tobey Mcguire signing a Spiderman 1 Plaitinum in 9.9 condition :!: :lol:
Had to adjust the settings for a second to understand this post.

You have it correct, DB....it's not about SS themselves, it's about having people unrelated to the creation of the book sign it. This would have been better as an unsigned 9.9.

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
dbostejano wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:Need to know a few things before a price can be thrown out:

1. What's the book?

2. Who's the sig?

I knew you were going to ask that I was hoping to keep this on the DL...lol

Honestly the sig is not very appealing to me, it's nice but it doesn't sway me. And the seller has said his price is negotiable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123
His asking price is a fantasy.

It's a chromium book.

True, there is only one on the census....but there are only 9 total graded.

I also question CGC's making this a sig series when Tony Moran is not a creator on that book, just an actor.

I look at this as a novelty item, not a genuine collectible. I would have been more impressed if this had been a regular 9.9.

I would say a reasonable offer for this book would be about $150.
If you can scare up a copy with no visible flaws the nature of chromium covers alone give you a shot at a 9.9.
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

dbostejano

Post by dbostejano »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
are you making fun my wroting again? dick.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

dbostejano wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
No.

dbostejano

Post by dbostejano »

X-O HoboJoe wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
dbostejano wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:Need to know a few things before a price can be thrown out:

1. What's the book?

2. Who's the sig?

I knew you were going to ask that I was hoping to keep this on the DL...lol

Honestly the sig is not very appealing to me, it's nice but it doesn't sway me. And the seller has said his price is negotiable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... TQ:US:1123
His asking price is a fantasy.

It's a chromium book.

True, there is only one on the census....but there are only 9 total graded.

I also question CGC's making this a sig series when Tony Moran is not a creator on that book, just an actor.

I look at this as a novelty item, not a genuine collectible. I would have been more impressed if this had been a regular 9.9.

I would say a reasonable offer for this book would be about $150.
If you can scare up a copy with no visible flaws the nature of chromium covers alone give you a shot at a 9.9.
I wonder does CGC count off for little scratches on the covers of these Chromium covers? I"m sure they do, the reason I ask is because I own three of these and each one has these little scratches.

dbostejano

Post by dbostejano »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
dbostejano wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
No.
Ok.

dbostejano

Post by dbostejano »

:D