unity red/blue

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors

Post by DawgPhan »

valiantdude wrote:** EDIT ** Curse-filled rant related to the possibility
of a Solar #10 "White" cover was deleted by Greg
(There are kids reading this board...) ** EDIT **

Some how I knew that this was going to happen..sorry I missed it... :shock:

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

DawgPhan wrote:

you didn't miss much and as you see it got killed quick :wink:
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

edlockman
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by edlockman »

valiantdude wrote: In conclusion I know what I am talking about, so please dont dismiss what I say,
Noone is dismissing you. It is just that noone has ever heard of it before and naturally would question it. If they didn't, then they wouldn't be real collectors and Valiant fans :) I can respect you standing up for what you remember seeing. I saw on eBay two years ago that there was a Chaos Effect trade paperback, but it is on the list of Never Printed. In the end, I'm not sure if mine was ever real or the imagination of an eBayer. Since you were the one who directly saw the Solar #10 White, noone else can really say that you didn't see it. Whether or not the issue that you saw was real or a custom job by an employee of Valiant or an enthusiastic collector, who's to say. But...
valiantdude wrote:...you wouldnt like me when I'm angry.

You have to expect a little ribbing on a messageboard.

Especially when you use lines from The Incredible Hulk (Props to my boy Bruce Banner!) :P

R Daneel
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Solar, Magnus
Favorite title: VEI Harbinger

Post by R Daneel »

DawgPhan wrote:

You and I both. Hard to imagine since obviously we spent entirely too much time on these boards, as judged by the all seeing and all knowing.
edlockman wrote:It is just that noone has ever heard of it before and naturally would question it.
Also hard to believe when some comes in with the attitude that how on earth can greg not know these things and when will these things be added to the inventories and barking directives that this is the way it is and this is what you need to have a a complete 100% collection. (yea a couple too many ANDs in that statement)

I'm rather new to this place in comparison to most, and when I see all the time that Greg puts into this whole effort, to me it is laughable when someone comes in saying the things that some do. I'm not talking about the far fetched existence of no-color newsstand editions years before Valiant started a newsstand effort, but the attitude that some have about knowing every little thing about subjects that we're here to discuss.

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

greg wrote:** EDIT ** Curse-filled rant related to the possibility
i think that kinda sums it up... :P and yes I know that everyone was reading valiants when I was an itch in my daddies pants, so on and thus forth. :roll: :D

R Daneel

Post by R Daneel »

DawgPhan wrote:i think that kinda sums it up... :P and yes I know that everyone was reading valiants when I was an itch in my daddies pants, so on and thus forth. :roll: :D
You aren't THAT young! Stop trying to make the rest of us feel old. :?

edlockman

Post by edlockman »

R Daneel wrote: Also hard to believe when some comes in with the attitude that how on earth can greg not know these things and when will these things be added to the inventories and barking directives that this is the way it is and this is what you need to have a a complete 100% collection.

I'm rather new to this place in comparison to most, and when I see all the time that Greg puts into this whole effort, to me it is laughable when someone comes in saying the things that some do. I'm not talking about the far fetched existence of no-color newsstand editions years before Valiant started a newsstand effort, but the attitude that some have about knowing every little thing about subjects that we're here to discuss.
I agree completely. Greg IS the authority on Valiant. I was trying to tell our friend valiantdude that in a ... nice way, 8-) I'd love if all of these variants were undiscovered relics that somehow slipped through the cracks. I'm not going to bet the commune on it though.

R Daneel

Post by R Daneel »

edlockman wrote:I agree completely. Greg IS the authority on Valiant. I was trying to tell our friend valiantdude that in a ... nice way, 8-) I'd love if all of these variants were undiscovered relics that somehow slipped through the cracks. I'm not going to bet the commune on it though.
A guy applied to join a nudist club. "Exactly what do you do here?" he asked.

"It's quite simple," said the club secretary, "We take off all our clothes and commune with nature."

"Cool," said the guy...count me in!!!"

So he paid his membership fee, took off his gear and strolled off. As he walked along a path, he saw a big sign which read, "Beware of Gays." A little further along he saw another sign which read the same thing "Beware of Gays."

He continued walking until he came to a small clearing which had a bronze plaque set in the ground. He bent over to read the plaque and it said, "Sorry,... You've already had two warnings!"

Sorry, that juke just came to mind. Doesn't exactly fit, but ...

On the subject of Greg, I feel like this is his playground, one that he built and we are all privledged to be here. Yea, he built on things that others might have worked on, and those efforts are great as well. But knowing all of that, I just cannot take anyone seriously when the stroll in with particular attitudes.

I hope there are unknown and rare variants out there, and I hope they are eventually found out. It seems unlikely, but still possible!

whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Magnus

Post by whetteon »

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop ... 627&si=121

nuff said. I, for one, will hold my comments till the end. ;)
(or is it already to late?)
The Site for Tracking Collectible Comic Trends on Ebay
http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

is this a true variant though? Like a Unity red...or is it like a book with 2 covers? It is clearly stated that it was inteded to have a gold cover and the gold did not take...seems like it should have gotten a green label....

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

edlockman wrote:I agree completely. Greg IS the authority on Valiant. I was trying to tell our friend valiantdude that in a ... nice way, 8-) I'd love if all of these variants were undiscovered relics that somehow slipped through the cracks. I'm not going to bet the commune on it though.
While I appreciate the comments...
I'm sure everyone realizes that there are still things to be learned, too.

This site "discovered and documented" the Bloodshot #0 Platinum Printing Error,
obviously with the help of the guy who actually owned it :wink:
but it was "just a rumor" at one point.

Now, we're working on the obscure second prints and $2.50 price variants...
For the most part, they've been known to exist, but no one cared.
Since people are starting to care... let's investigate those facts.

I have no reason to vehemently deny that any Valiant books might exist...
even on my "books that don't exist page", it says
"If you think you've got proof of the existence of any of these books...
please let me know!" (Send that email... quick! Let's check it out!) :)

I'm interested in the proof... so we'll just have to keep our eyes open
in the mean time. Solar #10 White might be like Bigfoot...
Someday we might have proof... or we mignt not. But it would be fun
to be the guy who brings in the evidence to the experts of the community.

valiantdude
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!
i was the one who posted this in 2013.omg wtf. i was smoking a lot of weed then. still do!!

Post by valiantdude »

i love greg's passiveness, but i mean its like some people take this so seriously , i mean excluding Greg who maintains this site, if you make 30-40 posts a day you are a loser face it. I cant even imagine spending that much tim ona computer let alone one site. Valiant collecting is a hobby for me and I love to discuss it, but it is not my life. If it is yours suggest you seek some sort of counseling.
I have always thought the work greg does is incredeble and one of the original threads on this forum was me asking everyone to thank greg for all the work he had done, OVER TWO YEARS AGO. But im sure those of you who have been posting lately wouldnt remember that, because you hadnt been on the forum yet. And those people are so quick to be negative, perhaps a life of being a complete loser creates psychological bitterness, but dont take it out on me, ok ,just go huddle in the corner in a fetal position crying, like usual.

n6
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by n6 »

valiantdude wrote:i love greg's passiveness, but i mean its like some people take this so seriously , i mean excluding Greg who maintains this site, if you make 30-40 posts a day you are a loser face it. I cant even imagine spending that much tim ona computer let alone one site. Valiant collecting is a hobby for me and I love to discuss it, but it is not my life. If it is yours suggest you seek some sort of counseling.
I have always thought the work greg does is incredeble and one of the original threads on this forum was me asking everyone to thank greg for all the work he had done, OVER TWO YEARS AGO. But im sure those of you who have been posting lately wouldnt remember that, because you hadnt been on the forum yet. And those people are so quick to be negative, perhaps a life of being a complete loser creates psychological bitterness, but dont take it out on me, ok ,just go huddle in the corner in a fetal position crying, like usual.
:roll:

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Shakespeare wrote:This one is pretty cool. It's amazing how PhotoShop can make anyone look good...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-3/1 ... 0flare.jpg
God bless AMERICA, can you IMAGINE what that book would have sold for if they could have done THAT in 1992?

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Darn it. I missed it. Curse the working man's day! ;) Quick, someone PM me the juicy details. ;)

R Daneel

Post by R Daneel »

valiantdude wrote:i love greg's passiveness, but i mean its like some people take this so seriously , i mean excluding Greg who maintains this site, if you make 30-40 posts a day you are a loser face it.
30-40? Accuracy certainly isn't your strong point is it?
valiantdude wrote:I cant even imagine spending that much tim ona computer let alone one site.
Since I get paid to be in front of a computer for 50 hours a week, plus another 20 or 30 outside of work, so I don't find it difficult to squeeze in enough time for posting here. Believe me, I can't imagine spending as much time as you do attending your McFrench fry station, but you don't see me trying to make a joke out of it, do you? DOH! (whoops)

8-)

Whetteon, your link makes an excellent point. There I see a picture though. Here?

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

R Daneel wrote:But knowing all of that, I just cannot take anyone seriously when the stroll in with particular attitudes.
Amen to that. Check the attitudes at the door, it's just not necessary. Things like taking a simple question and imagining all sorts of non-existent hostility in it are totally inappropriate to this forum. Ask BEFORE you assume.

Be passionate.

Be persistent.

Just don't be a jerk.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

whetteon wrote:http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop ... 627&si=121

Very cool.

Re: comics and 'rare' variations...think about this for a second...comics are PRINTED material that contains no less than 7 (quick in my head count) different and unique steps to creation (starting with pencil to paper)...of COURSE there is going to lots and lots of room for errors, it's the nature of the beast. Does that mean it's cool? Sure! Does that mean it's worth $10,000? Maybe, maybe not, who knows?

But the point is, as long as there has been printed matter, there have been printing errors/variations. Heck, look at the US Mint, which has some of the strictest quality control in manufacture, and THEY make errors...how much more a comic penciller, inker, editor, seperator, colorist, mulcher, boiler, embosser, roller, printer, binder, etc etc etc?

It's just the nature of the beast.

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
whetteon wrote:http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop ... 627&si=121

Very cool.

Re: comics and 'rare' variations...think about this for a second...comics are PRINTED material that contains no less than 7 (quick in my head count) different and unique steps to creation (starting with pencil to paper)...of COURSE there is going to lots and lots of room for errors, it's the nature of the beast. Does that mean it's cool? Sure! Does that mean it's worth $10,000? Maybe, maybe not, who knows?

But the point is, as long as there has been printed matter, there have been printing errors/variations. Heck, look at the US Mint, which has some of the strictest quality control in manufacture, and THEY make errors...how much more a comic penciller, inker, editor, seperator, colorist, mulcher, boiler, embosser, roller, printer, binder, etc etc etc?

It's just the nature of the beast.
I think that it is cool to look at but I really do not see it being worth any more than a gold venom#1. I mean I used to collect action figures...sometimes you would see one with 2 left arms or something like that...WHO CARES!! it is not even dont right....would you pay more for a mcdonalds hamburger that they did not put a burger patty on? I would hope not..same thing as this book...mass produced stuff....error occured getting something that is not even as good as the regular one....great like people are going to start paying more for cars with airbags....aarrrgghhh!! Some jack leg screws up at the factory at it is collectible?!? Also shouldnt that book have gotten a green label...I mean it is supposed to be a gold book...but something has happened to it...it is not a white variant...it is a screw up...What is I take the chromium cards off of all my bloodshots and submite those...Do I have an instant collectible?

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

hey zpehyr-don't forget that most of the people that you mentioned are drug addicts/and or alcoholics (errr college students) with senses of humor!!!