Went to the game shop with the nephew today.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Went to the game shop with the nephew today.

Post by Chiclo »

So, once a week I run down to Amarillo - a jaunt of some 50 miles one way - to hit up the comic book store. This week, my day off quite enjoyably fell on a Wednesday and I had been meaning to take my nephew with me for months.

The first place we went was the comic book store where my 8 year old nephew was overwhelmed by all the cool stuff, but his main focus was video games. In front of the shop owner, I asked him what kind of video games he really wanted and he enthusiastically replied "Turok!". He's quite a fan of the Turok Son of Stone animated film that came out last year and was quite excited when I told him there are Turok games, but I kept trying to explain to him that they are different.

As far as I can tell, GameStop has driven all the smaller mom and pop game shops out of business in Amarillo. I used to make the rounds to them when I was in high school and not a single one was left, so we went to three GameStops. We tracked down Turok Evolution at the first one and he enthusiastically paid the $3.99 for it. At the second one, we ran across Shadowman 2 which I encouraged him to buy. The whole trip down, he was telling me how much he loves Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhies and horror movies in general and zombies, but the box art on Shadowman was enough to scare him. This is the same kid that was chomping at the bit over Resident Evil!

Long story short, for $25 he ended up with a stack of 7 games. Appearantly he had never gone diving in the cheap bins before. The whole ride back he was lording over his stack of games. We also had a lot of fun when we stopped at an archery shop and I taught him how to shoot a bow.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Sounds like you guys had a great time shopping for games. If you don't have it already, be sure to track down the first Shadowman game too. Acclaim did an awesome job with it.

Turok Evolution is probably the weakest of all the Turok games, but tell your nephew to hang in there because the game gets pretty good after you get the first few levels out of the way.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

C-lo, you are a good man. I'm sure your nephew had a blast.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

good job big C :thumb:

TKWill
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!

Post by TKWill »

Speaking of which, I recently borrowed the latest Turok game and it was okay. The autosave was incredibly frustrating. Let us know what he thinks about the classics.