Most Important Or Best Modern Comic Storylines

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Most Important Or Best Modern Comic Storylines

Post by StarBrand »

What are the Most Important Or Best Modern Comic Storylines? I'm saying Onslaught might be in there. It was obviously a crossover, but I'm counting crossovers as storylines.

siren3-4
The best feeling I get is filling holes

Post by siren3-4 »

There are no "Important" storylines anymore . . . because everything either reverts or changes . . .

The best I've read recently . . .

Bendis run on Daredevil . . .

Ennis run on Punisher . . .

Pak's Planet Hulk run . . .

Invincible . . . the whole thing . . .

Fables . . . the whole thing . . .

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

Ellipsis anyone?

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Transformers: All Hail Megatron
Transformers: For All Mankind
Transformers: The Last Stand of the Wreckers
Transformers: Bumblebee
Transformers: Ironhide
Proving that new directions can still be new and not rehashes of classics.

X-Factor: The Invisible Woman Has Vanished! I like the title.
It's pretty cool read and is one of the funniest stories I read in a long time seeing Rictor, Shatterstar watching Gladiator and Guido's reply to it and then seeing Shatterstar knocking the Thing out of a building and Shatterstar makes a great joke about it too. Sue's romantic fantasy and M's reply to it are FUNNY. Also I like how David handles Reed and Sue's kids and makes Dr. Doom a villain so frighting that he doesn't have to do anything other paint a picture of Layla Miller and doesn't care to fight XF and FF. I like the subplot of Siryn becoming the new Banshee and while it is a bit heart breaking story she does finally comes to terms with grief over the deaths of her father and son and start looking to forgive Madrox.

The Incredible Hulk: Future Imperfect Out of Peter David's epic run on The Incredible Hulk it's hard for me to pick out a favorite storyline certainly the debut of the smart Hulk is still one of my favorites, the same with the Rick and Marlo wedding issue, but IMHO Future Imperfect is too the Hulk myths what Days of Future Past is too the X-Men myths.

The Thanos Quest Jim Starlin's return to Marvel's cosmic heroes helped introduce my generation to them and Thanos was and still is a bad @$$ and this series shows him out fighting, out witting, and out foxing six powerful beings to get the Infinity Gems for the love of Mistress Death, only to learn that even becoming a God, he still can't get the woman he loves.

Watchmen-A great read. Need I say more?

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns-My favorite Frank Miller and favorite Batman story.

The Life and Death of Captain Marvel-Jim Starlin takes a second string 70s character and makes it his own, nobody can write Mar-vell better.

The Life and Death of Adam Warlock-Often overlooked because of the above mentioned is more less contained to two or three series and while this one is all over 70s Marvel Comics and so it does get a tad hard to follow but it's actually a damn good read and feels like a continuation (or a sequel) to The Life and Death of Captain Marvel and shows Starlin really asking some hard questions about faith, life, death, destiny, fate, and redemption.

Midnight Nation-JMS greatest work in any medium. If you haven't read it GO READ IT NOW!

Crossroads-A crossover series that you can read in any order and each issue is a stand alone adventure. Don't see that much anymore.

Unity-I wouldn't be here if not for this story.
Last edited by Cyberstrike on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:20:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

Cyberstrike wrote:Transformers: All Hail Megatron
Transformers much? :?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Unblessed wrote:
Cyberstrike had some awesome picks, except I think he's a bit biased on the Transformers stuff. lol
Kind of reminds me of myself on The New Universe. :D

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

StarBrand wrote:
Unblessed wrote:
Cyberstrike had some awesome picks, except I think he's a bit biased on the Transformers stuff. lol
Kind of reminds me of myself on The New Universe. :D
Pretty much 99% of what I like in movies, comics, toys, video games, even pro-wrestling has some kind of connection to The Transformers.

siren3-4

Post by siren3-4 »

Cyberstrike wrote:

Midnight Nation-JMS greatest work in any medium. If you haven't read it GO READ IT NOW!
I will have to keep my eyes open for this one . . .

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question
Re: Most Important Or Best Modern Comic Storylines

Post by Draco »

StarBrand wrote:What are the Most Important Or Best Modern Comic Storylines? I'm saying Onslaught might be in there. It was obviously a crossover, but I'm counting crossovers as storylines.
Im not sure i agree with Siren, although sure most things revert back, but its what they do historically that count for me.

Onslaught is a big one, not because its referred to or because it was good (im not sure i thought it was that good to be honest), but because of the calamitous move by Marvel afterwards to employ the likes of Liefeld to do a key icon and screw it like everyone aside from themselves expected them to.

For me House of M is the major one of the last 20 years.
Marvel if you like rebooted from there on in and you can read the Marvel U IMO as one now.
Sure there are plenty of contradictions available, hell i can help you point them out, but i mean the best it has been.
This is because

*********SPOLIERS*************
for those who have not read House of M.

v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

After the events of the Scarlet witch using her out of control chaotic powers to basically warp reality to her liking ( well her brothers actually) and the subsequent switchback to our reality in the final issue, not everything stayed the same.
That means that Marvel could pretty much do what they pleased, write out old unneeded continuity, not need to explain the longevity etc etc and so on.
Overall though if you have been lucky like myself and get to read stupid amounts of comics without buying them, then you would know that Marvel have not the best continuity they have ever had.

House of M also lead onto more quality storylines like Civil War, which for me was the best thing in the shared Marvel U they have ever achieved.
There things i didnt like, but taking the rough with the smooth it was outstanding.
Of course at the time we didnt know they could do something so good and so bad in World War Hulk did we?

:?

Since then they also did Secret invasion which was confusing and had the usual unnecessary amount of crossovers like they used to, but again overall was pretty well executed and i cannot complain.
Dark Reign was perfect to answer all those who complain about how dark comics are, followed by Siege, which although i havent finished yet, think so far so good.
If you believe Brian Michael Bendis, he had this all planned before HOM.
I read something when HOM came out that did say this was a lead into something much much bigger,so to some degree i can almost believe the hype here.
Plus they delivered overall for me.

Rant over.
Ill disect some others shortly good and bad.

:thumb:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

siren3-4 wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

It features Gary Frank art. I think I might pick it up myself.
The Deluxe Hardcover looks like a nice item, though a bit out of my price range. :|

http://cgi.ebay.com/Midnight-Nation-HC- ... ltDomain_0

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

siren3-4 wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

It was published by Image (under Top Cow/Joe's Comics) it's a 13 issue maxi-series (#1-12 and #1/2) and drawn by Gary Frank (#1-12) and Micheal Zulli (I think that his name, anyway he did #1/2) I know Image and Top Cow did release a huge TPB that reprinted all 13 issues. I don't know if it's still in print though.

comicsyte95
It's Porktastic!!!
It's Porktastic!!!

Post by comicsyte95 »

For
Marvel Infinity Gauntlet
DC Blackest night
and my favorite...Unity

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

StarBrand wrote:
siren3-4 wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

The Deluxe Hardcover looks like a nice item, though a bit out of my price range. :|

Don't get the deluxe hardcover! It is a really cool story but Top Cow's "deluxe" stuff really isn't. I have the Rising Stars DHC and it is falling apart after being read 3 times. The Hunter Killer V1 DHC was just the individual comics with the covers off, bound into an HC complete with ads and a random preview in it.

Top Cow: Pretty art and sometimes great stories but when it comes to product quality there is very little.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Drift wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
siren3-4 wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:

Don't get the deluxe hardcover! It is a really cool story but Top Cow's "deluxe" stuff really isn't. I have the Rising Stars DHC and it is falling apart after being read 3 times. The Hunter Killer V1 DHC was just the individual comics with the covers off, bound into an HC complete with ads and a random preview in it.

Top Cow: Pretty art and sometimes great stories but when it comes to product quality there is very little.
Thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

Chuck64
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by Chuck64 »

I agree with Cyberstrike on The Thanos Quest
and with comicsyte95 on Infinity Gauntlet.

Of course I've been a big Starlin fan since his Captain Marvel run. When Marvel was on his deathbed (The Death of Captain Marvel) and the skrull presented him with a medal it cemented my Starlin fanhood.

Some of you may rag me about it but I also liked the Death of Superman storyline. I knew he wouldn't stay dead, but I liked the lead up to the main storyline and the way they decreased the number of panels per issue at the end. For me I usually feel that more panels are better, but in this case it seemed to help build the tension.

One other thing that comes to mind. It isn't really a storyline. Just one part of a single issue. I forget which issue of Batman, but Jason Todd pushed a guy who had been abusing a woman off of a balcony. At least it is implied. Maybe it's just me, but that seemed to be a real turning point for the already shakey Todd character.

Draco

Post by Draco »

Chuck64 wrote:I agree with Cyberstrike on The Thanos Quest
and with comicsyte95 on Infinity Gauntlet.

Of course I've been a big Starlin fan since his Captain Marvel run. When Marvel was on his deathbed (The Death of Captain Marvel) and the skrull presented him with a medal it cemented my Starlin fanhood.

Some of you may rag me about it but I also liked the Death of Superman storyline. I knew he wouldn't stay dead, but I liked the lead up to the main storyline and the way they decreased the number of panels per issue at the end. For me I usually feel that more panels are better, but in this case it seemed to help build the tension.

One other thing that comes to mind. It isn't really a storyline. Just one part of a single issue. I forget which issue of Batman, but Jason Todd pushed a guy who had been abusing a woman off of a balcony. At least it is implied. Maybe it's just me, but that seemed to be a real turning point for the already shakey Todd character.

# 424
http://www.dcuguide.com/Bm/Bm_424.php

Loved this whole era of batman.

Chuck64

Post by Chuck64 »

Draco wrote:# 424?
You're good. I don't have the issue in front of me, but I did pull up the cover. I'm pretty sure that's it. I just notice that Starlin wrote it.

Draco

Post by Draco »

The Marvel cosmic stuff was pretty cool, but for me Thanos Quest was the peak and then when they went all crossover mad it was awful.
Infinity Gauntlet was pretty cool, but they knew it was selling and milked it too much.
What cam after was nonsense IMO.
Anyone like the follow ups?

Chuck64

Post by Chuck64 »

Draco wrote:The Marvel cosmic stuff was pretty cool, but for me Thanos Quest was the peak and then when they went all crossover mad it was awful.
Infinity Gauntlet was pretty cool, but they knew it was selling and milked it too much.
Infinity War was okay but didn't really thrill me. I never did read Infinity Crusade.

What I liked about Gauntlet was that you could read it without all the tie-ins and still have a good story. It was somewhat like a six issue action movie.

Draco

Post by Draco »

Chuck64 wrote:
Draco wrote:The Marvel cosmic stuff was pretty cool, but for me Thanos Quest was the peak and then when they went all crossover mad it was awful.
Infinity War was okay but didn't really thrill me. I never did read Infinity Crusade.

What I liked about Gauntlet was that you could read it without all the tie-ins and still have a good story. It was somewhat like a six issue action movie.
indeed the crossovers were a bit pointless as both Marvel and Dc at the time were incapable of making the titles that carried the banner actually part of the series, but if you wanted to buy all the ones that did carry the IG banner you would have been a bit gutted, though not nearly as gutted if you bought say Moon Knight Infinity war crossovers.
OMG they were bad, lol

Chuck64

Post by Chuck64 »

Draco wrote:indeed the crossovers were a bit pointless as both Marvel and Dc at the time were incapable of making the titles that carried the banner actually part of the series, but if you wanted to buy all the ones that did carry the IG banner you would have been a bit gutted, though not nearly as gutted if you bought say Moon Knight Infinity war crossovers.
OMG they were bad, lol
I picked up some of the Infinity War crossovers, but not Moon Knight.

Moon Knight is strange. I really like the character but have never really been awed by his treatment.

Draco

Post by Draco »

Chuck64 wrote:
Draco wrote:# 424?
You're good. I don't have the issue in front of me, but I did pull up the cover. I'm pretty sure that's it. I just notice that Starlin wrote it.
I recall some people not liking the Starlin run, but it was actuallymy jumping on point for Batman.
I had some from the 60's and 70's, but never gave two sh**s about them.
It was the Legends story arc logo that made me try it of all silly things.
The issue where the dude thinks he is batman is awesome. I think it was 403.

Starlin drew the long Batman ears too, which caused a few frowns.

Chuck64

Post by Chuck64 »

Draco wrote:I recall some people not liking the Starlin run, but it was actuallymy jumping on point for Batman.

You might know this one. I can't remember if it is an issue of Batman or Detective. I think it's Batman. The issue is essentially made up of different people's encounters with Batman. I think it did a good job of giving depth to character.

Draco

Post by Draco »

Chuck64 wrote:
Draco wrote:I recall some people not liking the Starlin run, but it was actuallymy jumping on point for Batman.

You might know this one. I can't remember if it is an issue of Batman or Detective. I think it's Batman. The issue is essentially made up of different people's encounters with Batman. I think it did a good job of giving depth to character.
No ya got me on that one, lol

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Cyberstrike wrote:The Thanos Quest Jim Starlin's return to Marvel's cosmic heroes helped introduce my generation to them and Thanos was and still is a bad @$$ and this series shows him out fighting, out witting, and out foxing six powerful beings to get the Infinity Gems for the love of Mistress Death, only to learn that even becoming a God, he still can't get the woman he loves.
Even godhood can be a hollow victory. :cry: