What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

400yrs wrote:
ian_house wrote:Batwoman 0: This was good, the art is still amazing and I enjoyed the setup BUT it was only 16 pages! Comics are getting sooooo short now it's ridiculous. They really will be pamphlets soon.
Are you serious? Only 16 story pages? How much was it? I think the Invincible #0 issue was only 16 pages too, but I think it was 50¢ or something.
ian_house wrote:Batman & Robin 17: Grant Morrison is gone and the quality really seemed to take a dip here with a 3 part fill in by Paul Cornell before Tomasi takes over. I want to continue this series but KNOW the next two issues aren't going to go anywhere.
Bummer. I hate when you know there isn't anything going on in a book for a few issues. People are saying alot of good things about the new Morrison book as well as the latest issue of Detective.
$2.99 book. With about 5 pages of B+W worldless preview of issue 1 and the normal 6 pageish preview of this weeks Detective.

I've got this weeks Detective but haven't read it yet. It's getting some pretty good reviews around the normal comic websites.

One other thing I read was Red Robin 14 (I think) Red Robin v Robin... twas good to see Tim giving Damian a slap. Really wish I'd followed the run of Red Robin, seems a quality book.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

xodacia81 wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
OmenSpirits.com wrote: Because it was Hal Jordan as the spectre.

The spectre waas a great character before that Hal jordan/parallax nonsense and then they *SQUEE* it up by putting hal jordan in. :roll:

Was that needed? No IMO. Just felt like an unnecessary idea. Like if they put batman as the spectre.
I for one loved the idea because it made perfect sense given what the story had been for Hal up to that point in time. I think JMD did a wonderful job with the scripts and Sook's artwork is a lot like Mike Mignola over in Hellboy. Just a totally different book than anything else on the market.
I have never liked Hal Jordan as the Green Lantern (not only in comics but any media) never have and probably never will, I don't know exactly why, I just don't. Some of it is as a character Jordan is boring, dull and lifeless to me.

The ONLY time that I ever liked Hal Jordan was when he was the Spectre because finally someone had given him complexity and depth and made him exciting to me. I loved that Jordan not only sought his own redemption but every body's else (including Sinstero) and that he struggled to control the Spectre's violent nature. But what I really loved was the book's sense of hope over the previous The Spectre series sense of hopelessness.
Hal has had a lot of people over the years complain about how he is a difficult character to write. You write "around him" more than for or about him, it seems. I agree with what you said about The Spectre. When I get the 3 missing issues of Hal's run, I'm going to read the rest of it. I never thought I'd say this but I might have a new top 10 all time run. An intelligent and thought-provoking take on old characters and concepts. I, however, always liked Hal, although he's not my fave GL.
There is one issue I don't recall the number (I think it's towards the end of the series) but it's called "The Silver Room" it's one of the moving and heartfelt stories I read in a LONG time and it's sums up why I loved this series and why DeMantis is IMHO the second best writer in comics today (IMHO Peter David is #1) and don't forget to read JLA/The Spectre: Soul War it's a great coda to DeMantis' run on The Spectre and shows Bruce Wayne finally forgiving Jordan (after Jordan gives Batman a special gift), it kinds irks me how Geoff Johns just acknowledges it and then just casually throws it away and then treats it like it never happened.
I was unaware that series even existed. Is it a mini or is in an arc within JLA? I hadn't heard that complaint about ReBirth, but still...I don't think anyone in modern comics has deserved a punch more than Bruce Wayne did in Rebirth. Anyways, I think Hal as the Spectre was just too intelligent for most readers, and then the neckbeard fanboys started to clamor for Hal to have a ring again...so Johns came up with what was otherwise a pretty good re-introduction of Hal into the ranks of the living, even if some aspects don't quite line up.
JLA/The Spectre: Soul War is a two issue prestige format mini-series that takes place after DeMantis' The Spectre ends.

Johns acknowledges the end of the JLA/The Spectre: Soul War (if somewhat reluctantly) at the end in a JSA arc that was the prelude to Green Lantern: Rebirth.

Then returns their relationship back to Bruce not trusting Hal and never bothers to explore what DeMantis set up.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

I've burned through five issues of Justice Machine in one evening... it is a nice break from my 'read list' but this puts me behind in other reading. Well worth it though as I have had these books for years.

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

Surprising Theater #s 1 and 2. I bought the pdf copies because I'm a cheapskate but now I wish I'd had the money to fork over for a couple of real copies because I really enjoyed the stories and art. That Stuart Berryhill guy has some real talent. :thumb:

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

xodacia81 wrote:
400yrs wrote:
dave wrote: The story was good and everything, I just expected more depth from a "year one".
Well, you should just rule out all Robin stories then.
Indeed. As for the Year One stuff, for Dave...I have yet to read a good "Year One". Even Green Arrow wasn't that great and it had such potential.
I enjoyed the Green Arrow Year One more than this Robin. i thought I was going to like the GA a ton, but it fizzled iirc.

Anyone read Ghostopolis?

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and recommend it. Not what I expected at all. Had some real emotional moments (but I didn't cry). Really good stuff. i didn't cry though. Honest. I didn't. Well, maybe a little.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

I just finished reading John Byrne's 2112 and John Byrne's Next Men #0-6.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

400yrs wrote:This type of story is kind of what I was hoping for when I tried Hack / Slash and I didn't like it.
I was also disappointed with Hack/Slash ... even though I thought the concept sounded cool.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

dave wrote:Anyone read Ghostopolis?

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and recommend it. Not what I expected at all. Had some real emotional moments (but I didn't cry). Really good stuff. i didn't cry though. Honest. I didn't. Well, maybe a little.

I've got it on the shelf but haven't read it, yet. Although, it's funny you mention it because it's been standing out more recently when i peruse my 'to-read shelf'.

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

The original Superman vs Spider-man. :D

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

OmenSpirits.com wrote:The original Superman vs Spider-man. :D
:thumb: Cool - I've never read it. Let us know how you like it...

hulk181man
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

I'm trying a few Avatar books by the big names guys....

Supergod by Warren Ellis
Electrical Pirates of Cindery Island by Warren Ellis (really liked the first issue w/surprisingly good artwork)
and
Neonomicon by Alan Moore

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

hulk181man wrote:
Me neither, it strikes me as a strange match up.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

ian_house wrote:
hulk181man wrote:
Me neither, it strikes me as a strange match up.
It's pretty entantaning if you don't think about it too much.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

A recent Daredevil. They've screwed this book up so much, it's *SQUEE* me off.

I'm going to get the "reborn" that they are doing, but I don't have any confidence that it will be good.

OmenSpirits.com

hulk181man wrote:
So far it's pretty entertaining. Gerry conway has a good feel for every character from both universes (I like GC writing), except he may've had issues writing superman. So far supes comes off, even for that time, as being a one dimensional character when placed next to Spidey, & a little goofy.

J.J.J is a REAL *SQUEE* hole! Man, he literally jumps across the desk at Peter for screwing up some pics of doc ock, wtf?

The artwork is great! Love the fluid nature of comic art back then.

More updates to come.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

waiting for WD HC 6 :thumb:

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Got my 3 Alan Moore Superman comics back and couldn't leave them alone so they jumped straight to the top of the read pile. Not sure I can say alot that hasn't already been said.

Superman Annual 11 - 'For the Man who has everything'. The one thing I found particularly remarkable about this is Dave Gibbons art. We all know he's good, but with this issue he's ruddy excellent. Some of the clearest lines and everything looks great. The story is also excellent with the characterisation of all characters pulling little elements from the past and mixing it in with the more modern, darker, characterisations.

Superman 423 & Action Comics 583 - 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow' - Again excellent and pulled together the full gamet of Superman's adversarys. The ending is a lovely little twist as well but does leave me somewhat sad. Moore's writing is excellent throughout and I loved his intro. 'This is an Imaginary story... aren't they all?'
Both issues also have a history of the title on the inside back and front covers which is very interesting and tracks the history in a very nice way.

Anyone else read these recently? They are really classics and I know Moore gets a lot of stick but he sure knows how to write a good superhero tale. Even if you don't like, or hate, Superman these are still highly recommended from me.

dave
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Doorman wrote:
dave wrote:Anyone read Ghostopolis?

I've got it on the shelf but haven't read it, yet. Although, it's funny you mention it because it's been standing out more recently when i peruse my 'to-read shelf'.
I really liked it.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

I just read the "War of Kings" mini-series from Marvel...

:|

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

JonesyAZ wrote:I just read the "War of Kings" mini-series from Marvel...

I read the first two issues of that (got them in grab bags) and couldn't make out head or tail of what was going on or who any of the characters were...

OmenSpirits.com

JonesyAZ wrote:I just read the "War of Kings" mini-series from Marvel...

Read it because I like Havok as a character. The art was good, the story was...okay. The whole third brother thing was...meh.

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

ian_house wrote:Got my 3 Alan Moore Superman comics back and couldn't leave them alone so they jumped straight to the top of the read pile. Not sure I can say alot that hasn't already been said.

Anyone else read these recently?
I read them recently. Not my cup of tea. I've liked very few Superman stories.

I got a copy of V for Vendetta that I plan to read soon.

JCVaughn
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by JCVaughn »

Stan Lee's Soldier Zero #1 & 2
Stan Lee's The Traveler #1
Green Hornet: Year One#6
L'il Abner - Volume 2
Blondie - Volume 1

Jersen
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Jersen »

Just got caught up on all my current stuff. I've got a pretty light next couple of weeks in terms of my pull list--in fact, the only book I've got coming out this week is the new issue of RASL--so I'm gonna work on finishing Michio Kaku's Physics of the Impossible and maybe get started on a book I bought this summer called Modernism: The Lure of Heresy. The modern era has always been one of my favorites in terms of artistic movements, particularly in literature.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

400yrs wrote:
ian_house wrote:Got my 3 Alan Moore Superman comics back and couldn't leave them alone so they jumped straight to the top of the read pile. Not sure I can say alot that hasn't already been said.

Anyone else read these recently?
I read them recently. Not my cup of tea. I've liked very few Superman stories.

I got a copy of V for Vendetta that I plan to read soon.
I've not read that, definitely something to keep my eye out for. The list of 'classics' is just too long! :lol: