What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

xodacia81 wrote:
400yrs wrote:
ian_house wrote: Don't mention Bilson... it never happened.
Oh, how I wish. I sent my run of that mung to xodacia to get them the hell out of my house and to torment someone else. That run soured me on the character.
I still haven't read them. They scare me. I knew Bilson sounded familiar, beyond comics and I realized he was the co-creator of a tv show I used to really like back in the day, The Sentinel. Guess nobody bats 1K.
It only soured my thoughts on Bart Allen luckily.

The HUGE problem with it was that Bilson had no understanding whatsoever of what the speed force was. Bart contained the speed force... sorry what?! So Barry is in you?! Nonsense. He just crapped all over what was a relatively good continuity (for characters that have been around as long as Flash).
Last edited by ian_house on Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:56:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

ian_house wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
400yrs wrote:
Oh, how I wish. I sent my run of that mung to xodacia to get them the hell out of my house and to torment someone else. That run soured me on the character.
I still haven't read them. They scare me. I knew Bilson sounded familiar, beyond comics and I realized he was the co-creator of a tv show I used to really like back in the day, The Sentinel. Guess nobody bats 1K.
Good to hear. I've always found Bart an annoying twerp anyways.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

xodacia81 wrote:
ian_house wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
400yrs wrote:
Man you were quick I went back to add more and there was already a reply! haha. He was always the weakest.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

400yrs wrote:
Elveen wrote:I just finished the last Astro City Dark Ages mini.

Honestly, it was not good. It pains me to say but, ..... it's been awhile since Astro City has been good.
Yep. People have been saying good things about the Astro City issue that just came out recently though.
which book is that?

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

ian_house wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
ian_house wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
400yrs wrote:
Man you were quick I went back to add more and there was already a reply! haha. He was always the weakest.

Ian, didn't i have a massive rant about this as your house earlier this year?
Im sure i was sickin my mouth a little just on mention alone :P

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

Bart was good under Mark Waid.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Draco wrote:
ian_house wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
ian_house wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
400yrs wrote: Oh, how I wish. I sent my run of that mung to xodacia to get them the hell out of my house and to torment someone else. That run soured me on the character.

Ian, didn't i have a massive rant about this as your house earlier this year?
Im sure i was sickin my mouth a little just on mention alone :P
Yep, your utter disgust is what made me track them down and they were easily as bad as mentioned!

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Elveen wrote:
400yrs wrote:
Elveen wrote:I just finished the last Astro City Dark Ages mini.

Honestly, it was not good. It pains me to say but, ..... it's been awhile since Astro City has been good.
Yep. People have been saying good things about the Astro City issue that just came out recently though.
which book is that?
Not sure if it's a mini or a one-shot, but it's called something about the Silver Agent.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

What a great Image week. This is when I wish I wasn't doing mail order. I'd love to be reading these this week:

Chew 16
Invincible 76
Morning Glories 5
Dynamo 5 Holiday Special

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

400yrs wrote:What a great Image week. This is when I wish I wasn't doing mail order. I'd love to be reading these this week:

Chew 16
Invincible 76
Morning Glories 5
Dynamo 5 Holiday Special
Chew came out this week? Ok, that cinches it. I'm not waiting until next week to pick up my books.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Yeah, I just now read #15. Damn, it's good.

"Miso Honey" :lol:

Layman has created an amazing world here and Guillory makes it 10x better. He has to be one of the most innovative artists out there with the stuff he isn't afraid to try. He pulls it all off too.

The stuff he drops into the background is hilarious. The pictures and newspaper clippings - "Chow a hit! (better than Tony)," "Chow elected honorary mayor of Awesometown".

Poor Applebee.

The cover is awesome and does a good job of telling the story thus far.

This continues to be a book that surprises me every month. Whenever I think about going to HCs or trades, it's a book like this that makes the monthlies worth it. If this book was $5, I'd probably pay it.

I still need to read Invincible 76.

I read Proof Endangered #1. Awesome.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

400yrs wrote:Yeah, I just now read #15. Damn, it's good.

"Miso Honey" :lol:

Layman has created an amazing world here and Guillory makes it 10x better. He has to be one of the most innovative artists out there with the stuff he isn't afraid to try. He pulls it all off too.

The stuff he drops into the background is hilarious. The pictures and newspaper clippings - "Chow a hit! (better than Tony)," "Chow elected honorary mayor of Awesometown".

Poor Applebee.

The cover is awesome and does a good job of telling the story thus far.

This continues to be a book that surprises me every month. Whenever I think about going to HCs or trades, it's a book like this that makes the monthlies worth it.

I still need to read Invincible 76.

I read Proof Endangered #1. Awesome.
I agree about Chew and especially about the backgrounds. I just re-read issue's 5-7 today and the panel in # 6 where Tony and John are screaming at the boss about each other right after they've been re-introduced? The "hell-fire" background? It makes the whole scene ten times funnier, given how *SQUEE* off they were about the whole mess. God, I love that book.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I just re-read #4 since it was kind of the lead in for #15. That writing in the sky has to say something. I bet there is some pattern to turning the book a certain way and being able to read it. I wouldn't be surprised if they reveal something like that in the future.

In issue #6, who is the other Image partner / founder? You have Kirkman, McFarlane, Liefeld and Larsen, but I can't figure out who the dude in the hat is.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

400yrs wrote:I just re-read #4 since it was kind of the lead in for #15. That writing in the sky has to say something. I bet there is some pattern to turning the book a certain way and being able to read it. I wouldn't be surprised if they reveal something like that in the future.

In issue #6, who is the other Image partner / founder? You have Kirkman, McFarlane, Liefeld and Larsen, but I can't figure out who the dude in the hat is.
There might be something to that. I've been wondering when we'd get more on that story. As to the other guy...Silvestri or Valentino?

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

I like the serial number DUbya

jridd28
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by jridd28 »

I just finished reading TWD HC Volumes 1 and 2 for the 1st time. God, I dont know if i'm gonna be able to wait until Volumes 3 and 4 arrive in the mail. It was one of the best stories I have ever read, Period!

About 2 years ago, a couple of guys opened up a comic shop down the street from me! I had not collected comics for years at that point but I wanted to go in there and just talk comics because it had been such a long time! I asked the guys "So whats the best read I can get from a comic these days"? and they said "The Walking Dead is the best thing out there"!!! I looked at the cover of issue #60 and noticed it was publshed by Image and thought it was a joke. Remind you that I quit reading/collecting comics in 1994! If that doesnt ring a bell this will, Deathmate, A million #1 issues without any follow up issues, or a 6 month wait inbetween titles.

So I bought the issue mainly to help these guys that had just opened a comic shop. I went home and opened it up and there was no color. That annoyed me for whatever reason and I didnt even finish reading it. I bought the next couple of issues, once again, to help out these guys! I didnt think the story was bad but I didnt know enough about the characters and they're backgrounds to have any passion for them, plus the absence of color really got on my nerves.

Since then, I heard about Shooter's return with DH and have been busy following that! Jim Shooter's return really sparked an interest in comics again. Then one night while watching the Scream Awards on Spike TV I kept seeing advertisments for The Walking Dead on AMC and it looked good enough to give it a shot! Plus, it wasnt in black and white, lol!!! After watching the show I knew I had to give these comics another shot so I ordered TWD HC Volume 1 and 2 and it blew me away. I see why it doesnt have color! It just doesnt need it!!! :atomic:

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

jridd28 wrote:I just finished reading TWD HC Volumes 1 and 2 for the 1st time. God, I dont know if i'm gonna be able to wait until Volumes 3 and 4 arrive in the mail. It was one of the best stories I have ever read, Period!

About 2 years ago, a couple of guys opened up a comic shop down the street from me! I had not collected comics for years at that point but I wanted to go in there and just talk comics because it had been such a long time! I asked the guys "So whats the best read I can get from a comic these days"? and they said "The Walking Dead is the best thing out there"!!! I looked at the cover of issue #60 and noticed it was publshed by Image and thought it was a joke. Remind you that I quit reading/collecting comics in 1994! If that doesnt ring a bell this will, Deathmate, A million #1 issues without any follow up issues, or a 6 month wait inbetween titles.

So I bought the issue mainly to help these guys that had just opened a comic shop. I went home and opened it up and there was no color. That annoyed me for whatever reason and I didnt even finish reading it. I bought the next couple of issues, once again, to help out these guys! I didnt think the story was bad but I didnt know enough about the characters and they're backgrounds to have any passion for them, plus the absence of color really got on my nerves.

Since then, I heard about Shooter's return with DH and have been busy following that! Jim Shooter's return really sparked an interest in comics again. Then one night while watching the Scream Awards on Spike TV I kept seeing advertisments for The Walking Dead on AMC and it looked good enough to give it a shot! Plus, it wasnt in black and white, lol!!! After watching the show I knew I had to give these comics another shot so I ordered TWD HC Volume 1 and 2 and it blew me away. I see why it doesnt have color! It just doesnt need it!!! :atomic:
Welcome to the club. You are going to be floored by the time you get through the fourth HC. It gets better and better. 6 HC out in total now. :thumb:

Most of the best books of today are put out by Image and Vertigo. If you are looking for recommendations of other books of similar quality, give a shout along with your tastes. I bet there is a ton more stuff out there you would like outside the world of Dark Horse and big 2 super heroes. :thumb:

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

400yrs wrote:
jridd28 wrote:I just finished reading TWD HC Volumes 1 and 2 for the 1st time. God, I dont know if i'm gonna be able to wait until Volumes 3 and 4 arrive in the mail. It was one of the best stories I have ever read, Period!

Welcome to the club. You are going to be floored by the time you get through the fourth HC. It gets better and better. 6 HC out in total now. :thumb:

Most of the best books of today are put out by Image and Vertigo. If you are looking for recommendations of other books of similar quality, give a shout along with your tastes. I bet there is a ton more stuff out there you would like outside the world of Dark Horse and big 2 super heroes. :thumb:
I second this. I'm going to suggest Chew, which is Image, and Fables, which is Vertigo, as the other two GREAT books on the market. Along with The Walking Dead, I truly feel they are the finest reads on the market and have been for some time now.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Just read Chew # 16. Awesome. Pure awesome. Another great start to another sure-to-great arc. Love this series more than I can describe.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I stopped by a shop to get some bags and boards. If they had it, I would've bought an extra copy to read now. Awesome cover.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

xodacia81 wrote:Just read Chew # 16. Awesome. Pure awesome. Another great start to another sure-to-great arc. Love this series more than I can describe.
Agreed. I really liked the opening scenes with the time passing and the scenes of Mothercluckin chicken. Great set up and some funny little bits hidden away such as on the newspapers eg. 'Mel Gibson sectioned'. Does seem to be a good setup for the new arc.

My other comics this week:

Invincible was also good this week. Big ol' plot twist I didn't see coming, can't wait for the next issue as always.

Batman Inc #2. Good fun but nothing special. It's quite nice to see a 2 issue story arc, a nice quick fun story. Not every arc has to be 5 or six issues. Trade writing annoys me.

JL Generation Lost 16 - Still the best thing DC are publishing. I'm going to be gutted when this series finishes. Having Max Lord back in the DCU is great, he is a real base-terd.

Teen Titans: Cold Case. I don't read Titans books usually but this was a crossover with the Flash's rogues so I couldn't resist. It was a $5 book and I didn't feel ripped off after finishing. It was a fun done in one romp. Not much changed but all the characters seemed true to themselves. Had never heard of the creative team before but they were all pretty good. The issues release seemed odd though as it was about Fathers Day... which in the UK is June. Whens the US version?

jridd28

Post by jridd28 »

xodacia81 wrote:
400yrs wrote:

I second this. I'm going to suggest Chew, which is Image, and Fables, which is Vertigo, as the other two GREAT books on the market. Along with The Walking Dead, I truly feel they are the finest reads on the market and have been for some time now.

I said earlier that I ordered Volumes 3 and 4 but I couldnt wait! I went to the mall last night to pick some things up and Borders Bookstore had The Walking Dead everything and I just could not resist. I'll just sell my extra copy of Volume 3 and hopefully be able to wait it out on Volume 4 to arrive in the mail! I'm at the part where Rick and crew make it back to the prison after dealing with the Governor! Jeeezus this story is great!!! The only thing that I think will suck about it is that by mid January I will have read all 6 Volumes. Thats practically a decade worth of stories and then I'll have to get in line like everyone else to wait for part of the story one month at a time, lol!!!

In regards to reading other material I'm gonna wait until I'm done reading TWD first! Then I'm gonna try Chew and then Fables! All of that along with the new Dark-Key titles and I should be good to go. I do have one question though. Is there a stand alone issue of Chew #1 or is it strictly just in the back of TWD #63? Danke :atomic:

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

jridd28 wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
400yrs wrote:

I said earlier that I ordered Volumes 3 and 4 but I couldnt wait! I went to the mall last night to pick some things up and Borders Bookstore had The Walking Dead everything and I just could not resist. I'll just sell my extra copy of Volume 3 and hopefully be able to wait it out on Volume 4 to arrive in the mail! I'm at the part where Rick and crew make it back to the prison after dealing with the Governor! Jeeezus this story is great!!! The only thing that I think will suck about it is that by mid January I will have read all 6 Volumes. Thats practically a decade worth of stories and then I'll have to get in line like everyone else to wait for part of the story one month at a time, lol!!!

In regards to reading other material I'm gonna wait until I'm done reading TWD first! Then I'm gonna try Chew and then Fables! All of that along with the new Dark-Key titles and I should be good to go. I do have one question though. Is there a stand alone issue of Chew #1 or is it strictly just in the back of TWD #63? Danke :atomic:
There's a standalone. I believe the printing in TWD # 63 is one of the 4 or 5 printings that the 1st issue had. One word of advice about Chew: the collections are printed every 5 or 6 months, right after the conclusion of a storyline. The first 3 volumes are available now with # 16(1st part of the 4th volume) on the stands as of this week. GREAT issue.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

The Chew #1 that is reprinted in TWD 63 is black and white. The regular is colored. There is a Chew HC out that I'd recommend picking up. It's the same size as the TWD HCs, but it comes with a ribbon. :thumb:

Let us know what you think as you get deeper in to TWD. :thumb:

If you like super heroes at all, I highly recommend Invincible hardcovers. It's by the same writer as TWD. To me, that's the best book on the market with Chew and TWD coming in a very close second.