What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Chiclo wrote:
chisumwomack wrote:Just read Genesis, the "event" from DC in 98. Wow. Just....Wow. I will never *SQUEE* about Civil War, Secret Invasion, Final Crisis or Infinite Crisis again.
I remember reading Genesis but I don't remember much about it.

To be fair, the quality of comics across the board was *SQUEE* poor in the late 90s. Marvels and indys at that time were not much better. The whole era was devoid of culture all around.
The Flash and JLA were good... that's all I can think of off the top of my head. And the prestige books tended to be pretty good Marvels, Kingdom Come, some of the elseworlds stuff.

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

Chiclo wrote:
chisumwomack wrote:Just read Genesis, the "event" from DC in 98. Wow. Just....Wow. I will never *SQUEE* about Civil War, Secret Invasion, Final Crisis or Infinite Crisis again.

To be fair, the quality of comics across the board was *SQUEE* poor in the late 90s. Marvels and indys at that time were not much better. The whole era was devoid of culture all around.
Milestone media brought a new flavor to the industry, and a few indies like brotherman: dictator of discipline, and some manga like battle angel alita was always solid, along with the books from viz. There was the anthologies coming out from darkhorse & blade of the immortal was good. So was CGW.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

OmenSpirits.com wrote:
Chiclo wrote:

Milestone media brought a new flavor to the industry, and a few indies like brotherman: dictator of discipline, and some manga like battle angel alita was always solid, along with the books from viz. There was the anthologies coming out from darkhorse & blade of the immortal was good. So was CGW.
Still some of my favorite characters and stories.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Chiclo wrote:
Adam and Eve blow it pretty early on and the rest of the story focuses on the ramifications.

Oh.

Wrong Genesis. Sorry.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

dave wrote:
Chiclo wrote: I remember reading Genesis but I don't remember much about it.
Adam and Eve blow it pretty early on and the rest of the story focuses on the ramifications.

Oh.

Wrong Genesis. Sorry.
:thumb:

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I've started reading my Proof run. I have #1-27 and I am enjoying it greatly.

Unfortunately, I am at #23 (I think, the end of the Julia run) which means I am about at the end. I am super bummed that they are stopping Proof. It is a very good concept and excellently executed. They do a great job at moving the story along all the while planting interesting tid bits here and there. Reading the first 20 or so issues, there is a vast and interesting world they have created. It is too bad it will not get a chance to expand it.

[/i]

OmenSpirits.com

THE DEATH OF CAPTAIN MARVEL BY JIM STARLIN :clap:

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Elveen wrote:I've started reading my Proof run. I have #1-27 and I am enjoying it greatly.

Unfortunately, I am at #23 (I think, the end of the Julia run) which means I am about at the end. I am super bummed that they are stopping Proof. It is a very good concept and excellently executed. They do a great job at moving the story along all the while planting interesting tid bits here and there. Reading the first 20 or so issues, there is a vast and interesting world they have created. It is too bad it will not get a chance to expand it.

[/i]
It will continue. They are in the middle of Endangered. It seems like they will get back to the character with another mini in the future after trying a different title that may sell better. They still sound committed to the character which is cool.

Jersen
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Jersen »

400yrs wrote:
Elveen wrote:I've started reading my Proof run. I have #1-27 and I am enjoying it greatly.

[/i]
It will continue. They are in the middle of Endangered. It seems like they will get back to the character with another mini in the future after trying a different title that may sell better. They still sound committed to the character which is cool.
Yeah, I haven't read anything from Grecian and Rossmo in the press that sounds like they are giving up on Proof. All they've said--as I understand it--is that they are going to publish Endangered, take another little break from the book to refresh and get some more lead time, and put out another miniseries, etc. I seem to remember them reading that this method will give them time to work on other projects, recharge them for continuing work on Proof, and making sure that they can get all the issues out on time.

I'm currently at issue #24 in my Proof read-through. I love the structural approach Grecian employs where book weaves back and forth between multiple separate plotlines occuring at the same time. It reminds me of the way episodes of Heroes or The Event play out.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Jersen wrote:
400yrs wrote:

[/i]
Yeah, I haven't read anything from Grecian and Rossmo in the press that sounds like they are giving up on Proof. All they've said--as I understand it--is that they are going to publish Endangered, take another little break from the book to refresh and get some more lead time, and put out another miniseries, etc. I seem to remember them reading that this method will give them time to work on other projects, recharge them for continuing work on Proof, and making sure that they can get all the issues out on time.

I'm currently at issue #24 in my Proof read-through. I love the structural approach Grecian employs where book weaves back and forth between multiple separate plotlines occuring at the same time. It reminds me of the way episodes of Heroes or The Event play out.
Ok, now I'm even more stoked for when I get my hands on this series.

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chisumwomack »

ian_house wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
That was around the time I bailed on DC, before getting into it again in the last year or so. I am not sure, but that COULD be what finally drove me away. Only the title seems familiar. Speaking of DC events, I did pick up a full set of Millenium for 75 cents each, recently.
Not read either of these events but they're definitely on my to get list, I love this crap. Although I've just took a look around the net and Genesis doesn't seem well regarded, what was the plot and what was so bad???
I read Underworld Unleashed recently and it was surprisingly good.
The plot had something to do with everybody in the universe's powers came from a wave that was caused by the destruction of the gods before the new gods, and now it's bouncing back and messing with people's powers and threatening the source. Just very poorly written, didn't seem like Byrne put any effort at all into it.

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chisumwomack »

Finished re-reading One Million. A lot of people give this event crap, but I liked it. Nothing big came out of it, but it's kind of nice to read an event that doesn't proclaim "everything will change."

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Jersen wrote: I love the structural approach Grecian employs where book weaves back and forth between multiple separate plotlines occuring at the same time. It reminds me of the way episodes of Heroes or The Event play out.
That's what I like as well. With the multiple plotlines that are out there and touched upon throughout the series, it is similar to Invincible. I love that style.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

chisumwomack wrote:Finished re-reading One Million. A lot of people give this event crap, but I liked it. Nothing big came out of it, but it's kind of nice to read an event that doesn't proclaim "everything will change."
I picked up one of the "main books" in this series, recently. Part of this is curiousity and part is that I collect DC event books. I know it was mostly just a bunch of issues spread across all the titles, but if I can find the whole "main story", I'm going to read it.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Superboy #2. Some seem to be complaining about the art in this. I really like both the art and the story. :?

I'm going to go to trades on this though..... or pick up the singles cheaper later. Lemire reads better in trades.

OmenSpirits.com

OmenSpirits.com wrote:THE DEATH OF CAPTAIN MARVEL BY JIM STARLIN :clap:
Just finished it.

...wow, they'll NEVER write mainstream comics with that kind of power EVER again. :cry:

The Spider
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by The Spider »

xodacia81 wrote:
chisumwomack wrote:Finished re-reading One Million. A lot of people give this event crap, but I liked it. Nothing big came out of it, but it's kind of nice to read an event that doesn't proclaim "everything will change."
I picked up one of the "main books" in this series, recently. Part of this is curiousity and part is that I collect DC event books. I know it was mostly just a bunch of issues spread across all the titles, but if I can find the whole "main story", I'm going to read it.
A few of the tie-ins are needed though. So aside from DC 1 Million #1-4, you need JLA #1000000, Green Lantern #1000000, Starman #1000000, Superman: Man of Tomorrow #1000000, Martian Manhunter #1000000, and Resurrection Man #1000000. I think that's about it but I'm not sure.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

OmenSpirits.com wrote:
Just finished it.

...wow, they'll NEVER write mainstream comics with that kind of power EVER again. :cry:
This has been on my "I want the get this cheap so I can read it."

I've heard nothing but great things about this book.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Jersen wrote:
400yrs wrote:

[/i]

I finished my Proof run. And much to my displeasure...... I do not have #28, I only go to issue #27. The last storyline is really good. It's a bummer that proof is going to be on break or whatever. It is a really good read.

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chisumwomack »

The Spider wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
A few of the tie-ins are needed though. So aside from DC 1 Million #1-4, you need JLA #1000000, Green Lantern #1000000, Starman #1000000, Superman: Man of Tomorrow #1000000, Martian Manhunter #1000000, and Resurrection Man #1000000. I think that's about it but I'm not sure.
It doesn't hurt to read the all the Superman's and Batman's, but you'll do just fine without them. IIRC, JLA, GL, Starman, Manhunter and Resurrection Man were all that were really necessary. And of those, JLA is the only one you cannot do without.

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chisumwomack »

chisumwomack wrote:
The Spider wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
It doesn't hurt to read the all the Superman's and Batman's, but you'll do just fine without them. IIRC, JLA, GL, Starman, Manhunter and Resurrection Man were all that were really necessary. And of those, JLA is the only one you cannot do without.
Chronos 1000000 is pretty important too.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

That's a lot of books. Here's the thing about me and crossovers. I collect the main series, maybe the spinoffs (minis and one-shots) that interest me and then individual issues that I want or need to read, unless they are already collected.

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

Elveen wrote:
OmenSpirits.com wrote:
Just finished it.

The original Silver / Bronze era Captain Marvel series was great in general too! You have to get past a little hamfisted Rick Jones clanging his wrists together from time to time, but ultimately it's a great series that features a lot of psychedelic cosmic stuff probably born of whatever Starlin was on at the time.
Last edited by IMJ on Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:43:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Elveen wrote:
OmenSpirits.com wrote:
Just finished it.

If you like trades-and IIRC, you do-then I believe this one has been collected.

IMJ
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by IMJ »

xodacia81 wrote:If you like trades-and IIRC, you do-then I believe this one has been collected.
Ironic because the story itself was originally a single Graphic Novel, no?

Marvel needs to release a Captain Marvel Omnibus that runs the whole cosmic cube story as well as the Death of Captain Marvel Graphic Novel.