What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

ian_house wrote:This weeks comics!

Batman Incorporated #4 - Morisson continues to turn whichever Bat book he is on into the most entertaining one. This issue was slightly more serious than the last few but still kept some of the humour. Morisson reintroduces an interesting character who should make the next couple of issues very interesting and although there is a different artist on this issue it didn't take me out of the story.

Batman -The Dark Knight #2 - The antithesis of Batman Incorporated. This is also Bruce but this time written and drawn by David Finch and is as dark in its narrative as it is in the art. The problem is Finch is writing a Batman of 20 years ago. If this had came out sometime after the DK or Year One it would probably have been revolutionary. But it's not, it's just overly violent and crap. SPOILER- At one point Bruce gets *SQUEE* off and breaks 2 of the Penguins legs and an arm! The *SQUEE* Batman indeed.

And it was 3 months late...

Fables 103- Was expecting to see some action in this one after the slow 1st issue to this superhero arc but this issue was also very slow and not alot went down. There are some interesting sub-plots brewing behind the superhero one.

Justice League Generation Lost #22 - Just a couple of issues to go before the big finale and the end of my favourite series of the past year, easily. Not a great deal happened here, but it was a nice chance for everyone to regroup before the end and still as entertaining as ever.

Also read the 1st two issues of the War of the GLs, will be back to chat about them if anyone cares.
Read Fables 103. I hope Willingham doesn't use this arc as some sort of slow jumping point like he did with Dark Ages. As to GL...so far, through the "preludes" and first 2 chapters, I'm thinking this could be damn amazing.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I finished reading Hellboy The Wild Hunt.

Simply, Excellent!

It left me wanting to read the next series. There was also so much history in this series. I give it a 5 out of 5.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

xodacia81 wrote:
400yrs wrote:Sandman vol 2 - The Dolls House. Not my cup of tea. I like the overall story, but the stuff in the middle..... all the foo-foo stuff is a bit much for me. Way too Grant Morrison (the bad one) for me. I'll definitely try the next trade, but I may end up hitting the eject button on this series.

I see why it gets all the acclaim. It's just not my style so far.
The next trade is a set of short stories. What is the exact stuff you are having issues with?
All of the dreaming stuff. Which isn't good considering that the title character is Dream.

I like the plot, but I don't like the artsi-fartsi stuff. For me, it's almost like it would be better if all that crap was cut out or minimized. I don't really want to read tons of random gibberish which is supposed to be the dreams of the vortex. Give me a bit of that crap and then get to the point. Don't make me paint my fingernails black to get in the frame of mind to read this stuff.

I don't particularly care for the skipping around either. If the next trade is short stories, I'm not sure I'll like it. I like coherent stories with a character / characters I can follow. This series just may not be for me.
Last edited by 400yrs on Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:13:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Elveen wrote:I finished reading Hellboy The Wild Hunt.

Simply, Excellent!

It left me wanting to read the next series. There was also so much history in this series. I give it a 5 out of 5.
I really need to check out Hellboy one day. It's the only realm that I've completely ignored.

I'm also getting an itch to re-read Astro City.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

400yrs wrote:
Elveen wrote:I finished reading Hellboy The Wild Hunt.

Simply, Excellent!

I really need to check out Hellboy one day. It's the only realm that I've completely ignored.

I'm also getting an itch to re-read Astro City.
I would really recommend starting from the beginning.

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

400yrs wrote:Sandman vol 2 - The Dolls House. Not my cup of tea. I like the overall story, but the stuff in the middle..... all the foo-foo stuff is a bit much for me. Way too Grant Morrison (the bad one) for me. I'll definitely try the next trade, but I may end up hitting the eject button on this series.

I read the entire Sandman series (vol 1-10). I loved vol 1 & 2, as well as 5.

Considering I liked vol 2, but you didn't like it all that much, we may have different taste......But I'd say, if anything, give vol 5 a try.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Savant wrote:

Considering I liked vol 2, but you didn't like it all that much, we may have different taste......But I'd say, if anything, give vol 5 a try.
Brief Lives, eh? Amazing stuff.

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chisumwomack »

xodacia81 wrote:
Savant wrote:

Brief Lives, eh? Amazing stuff.
For me, the first 2 volumes were the hardest to get through. I think it took him a little while to find his voice with the series. Love volume 3 and up.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

xodacia81 wrote:

Batman Incorporated #4 - Morisson continues to turn whichever Bat book he is on into the most entertaining one. This issue was slightly more serious than the last few but still kept some of the humour. Morisson reintroduces an interesting character who should make the next couple of issues very interesting and although there is a different artist on this issue it didn't take me out of the story.

Batman -The Dark Knight #2 - The antithesis of Batman Incorporated. This is also Bruce but this time written and drawn by David Finch and is as dark in its narrative as it is in the art. The problem is Finch is writing a Batman of 20 years ago. If this had came out sometime after the DK or Year One it would probably have been revolutionary. But it's not, it's just overly violent and crap. SPOILER- At one point Bruce gets *SQUEE* off and breaks 2 of the Penguins legs and an arm! The *SQUEE* Batman indeed.

Fables 103- Was expecting to see some action in this one after the slow 1st issue to this superhero arc but this issue was also very slow and not alot went down. There are some interesting sub-plots brewing behind the superhero one.

Justice League Generation Lost #22 - Just a couple of issues to go before the big finale and the end of my favourite series of the past year, easily. Not a great deal happened here, but it was a nice chance for everyone to regroup before the end and still as entertaining as ever.

Also read the 1st two issues of the War of the GLs, will be back to chat about them if anyone cares.
Read Fables 103. I hope Willingham doesn't use this arc as some sort of slow jumping point like he did with Dark Ages. As to GL...so far, through the "preludes" and first 2 chapters, I'm thinking this could be damn amazing.
I think Fables is in a bit of a slowdown after the end of the last big arc. Hopefully not that slow. If something doesn't happen in the next issue to really develop the story then I might be disappointed, but I do think there are 2 storylines are coming together and showing promise.

I'm undecided on GL. I liked corps, but not the main title as much. The Hal stuff seems really rehashed, and how many times can the guardians get everything wrong? Its a bit of a joke. I like Krona as the big bad and the black books work was pretty cool. The stuff with Kyle and John was awesome in Corps though, great issue.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

ian_house wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:

I think Fables is in a bit of a slowdown after the end of the last big arc. Hopefully not that slow. If something doesn't happen in the next issue to really develop the story then I might be disappointed, but I do think there are 2 storylines are coming together and showing promise.

I'm undecided on GL. I liked corps, but not the main title as much. The Hal stuff seems really rehashed, and how many times can the guardians get everything wrong? Its a bit of a joke. I like Krona as the big bad and the black books work was pretty cool. The stuff with Kyle and John was awesome in Corps though, great issue.
I may or may not catch flack for this but I think Johns should step down after this storyline is over. Not because he's bad, but because I think he's gone as far as he can, as the writer he is, with the characters and story setups. I think it is time to let someone else take over. I did not have the issues with GL that you did, but I do see where you're coming from. I'm trying to just enjoy the story and I never expect the earlierst parts of a story to be the best. I do think it would be nice if the GOTU were not always such fools. It was the fact that they had evolved a bit that was such a great aspect of the early GJ work on GL.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

xodacia81 wrote:
ian_house wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:

I may or may not catch flack for this but I think Johns should step down after this storyline is over. Not because he's bad, but because I think he's gone as far as he can, as the writer he is, with the characters and story setups. I think it is time to let someone else take over. I did not have the issues with GL that you did, but I do see where you're coming from. I'm trying to just enjoy the story and I never expect the earlierst parts of a story to be the best. I do think it would be nice if the GOTU were not always such fools. It was the fact that they had evolved a bit that was such a great aspect of the early GJ work on GL.
I agree, mostly because I'd like to see him take on something else. I'd like to see him back on a team book but I don't it's going to happen unless he takes over on JLA, then I might actually read it.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

ian_house wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
ian_house wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:

I agree, mostly because I'd like to see him take on something else. I'd like to see him back on a team book but I don't it's going to happen unless he takes over on JLA, then I might actually read it.
I wouldn't be shocked if he took over JLA. As for the original question about GL, I do wonder who they would hire in place of GJ. I don't want a hack like GM. I don't want Busiek. I know it's an unpopular choice, but I could settle for Ron Marz, even if all he did was write a single, 12 issue storyline in order to bridge the series to somebody better.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

I wanted to re-read something good so I decided to re-read LoEG vol 1. I'm 1 chapter in and it is a great as I remember.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Sandman Vol 3 - Dream Country

A group of 4 anthologies. I liked the book ends about Calliope and the Face, but could care less to read what cats dream about or the Shakespeare one. Way too floofy pants for my liking.

I'm going to keep going because I can see some of these anthologies being great, but I know that overall, I'm going to think the full run isn't for me.

I like The Cure, but I don't like reading stuff like that. Maybe you have to like Bauhaus (which I don't).

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Brother J wrote:
dave wrote:I just finished up Jaka's Story by Dave Sim. Must say, I was disappointed. It seemed pretty boring to me. Could have been far shorter. I skipped a lot of the text. Never fully understood the Oscar Wilde character. Lord Julius was far more entertaining.
Good call, I've heard people call "Jaka's Story" the best storyline of the Cerebus run, and I just don't see it. The text stuff that Sim used so often in this and later stories really gets boring and tedious to read. You probably won't be thrilled with "Melmoth" either, as it deals with the death of the Oscar Wilde character. Another one I didn't like much, but at least it's short. Things start cooking again with "Mothers and Daughters".
Ok good. Man, I'm glad it's not just me. I actually felt bad not liking it, seriously. That first phone book was thoroughly entertaining, and I figured that all of them would be that great.

dave

Post by dave »

400yrs wrote:[ Don't make me paint my fingernails black to get in the frame of mind to read this stuff.
Oh man! That's incredible! :lol:

I thought Calliope was the best story in the line. I did like the cats and the Shakespeare stuff too though. That whole trade was really agreeable to me.

Is the Corinthian in there anywhere? That one scene with him on the phone is one of the best (and worst) moments in comics ever.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

400yrs wrote:Sandman Vol 3 - Dream Country

A group of 4 anthologies. I liked the book ends about Calliope and the Face, but could care less to read what cats dream about or the Shakespeare one. Way too floofy pants for my liking.

I'm going to keep going because I can see some of these anthologies being great, but I know that overall, I'm going to think the full run isn't for me.

I like The Cure, but I don't like reading stuff like that. Maybe you have to like Bauhaus (which I don't).
The ones about Calliope and Shakespeare end up having payoffs down the road. Speaking of which, volume 4-the next one-is where the series really takes off, imo.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

dave wrote:
400yrs wrote:[ Don't make me paint my fingernails black to get in the frame of mind to read this stuff.
Oh man! That's incredible! :lol:

I thought Calliope was the best story in the line. I did like the cats and the Shakespeare stuff too though. That whole trade was really agreeable to me.

Is the Corinthian in there anywhere? That one scene with him on the phone is one of the best (and worst) moments in comics ever.
That was in the 2nd volume. Unless you mean...well...spoilers.

dave

Post by dave »

There was one that had a story within a story within a story. That one drove me crazy. I didn't enjoy it at all, and the whole thing seemed contrived. It felt like Gaiman was trying to show off. The fact that I found each of the stories dull made it hard to bother finishing.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Elveen wrote:I wanted to re-read something good so I decided to re-read LoEG vol 1. I'm 1 chapter in and it is a great as I remember.
Just finished vol 1, now moving on to vol #2.

IMO, LoEG is Excellent!

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

Just finished Iron Man: The End.

Good read. :thumb:
Last edited by OmenSpirits.com on Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:48:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Is anyone reading Detective right now? If so, how is it?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

400yrs wrote:Is anyone reading Detective right now? If so, how is it?
Jim Gordon's son is back and they are wondering if he's murdering people or not.

Batman comics overall right now have taken a dip in quality. Gotham City Sirens, Birds of Prey and Batgirl are the best Bat family titles.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Elveen wrote:
Elveen wrote:I wanted to re-read something good so I decided to re-read LoEG vol 1. I'm 1 chapter in and it is a great as I remember.

IMO, LoEG is Excellent!
Ok, what IS LoEG?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

xodacia81 wrote:
Elveen wrote:

IMO, LoEG is Excellent!
Ok, what IS LoEG?
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen