What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Chiclo wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Elveen wrote:
Elveen wrote:I wanted to re-read something good so I decided to re-read LoEG vol 1. I'm 1 chapter in and it is a great as I remember.
Just finished vol 1, now moving on to vol #2.

IMO, LoEG is Excellent!
Ok, what IS LoEG?
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Ahh, yes. Now I feel very stupid. Why? That is one of my favorite series. :oops:

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Elveen wrote:
Elveen wrote:I wanted to re-read something good so I decided to re-read LoEG vol 1. I'm 1 chapter in and it is a great as I remember.
Just finished vol 1, now moving on to vol #2.

IMO, LoEG is Excellent!
so I decided to also re-read LoEG vol 2.

I made a good decision.

Jersen
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Jersen »

I'm still working my way through Fourth World Omnibus Vol. 2, reading an issue or maybe 2 most nights before I go to sleep. At the same time, I'm spending alot of my chill time at home reading Modernism: The Lure of Heresy by Peter Gay. As an undergraduate, I was also more fascinated with the modern era than any other period in literature, and this book really examines the social context and reactions to modernism in all the artistic media from mid-1800s through the 1960s. Gay takes an in-depth look at each medium individually (painting/sculpture, prose/poetry, architecture, drama, and film) using a handful of each medium's top practitioners to examine the attitudes, stances, methods, and purposes of modernism.

Fascinating book and highly recommended if you're a lit buff.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Jersen wrote:I'm still working my way through Fourth World Omnibus Vol. 2, reading an issue or maybe 2 most nights before I go to sleep. At the same time, I'm spending alot of my chill time at home reading Modernism: The Lure of Heresy by Peter Gay. As an undergraduate, I was also more fascinated with the modern era than any other period in literature, and this book really examines the social context and reactions to modernism in all the artistic media from mid-1800s through the 1960s. Gay takes an in-depth look at each medium individually (painting/sculpture, prose/poetry, architecture, drama, and film) using a handful of each medium's top practitioners to examine the attitudes, stances, methods, and purposes of modernism.

Have you ever read Promethea by Alan Moore?

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

Just read through Hickman's run on Fantastic Four - this guy is bursting with great ideas for the book. I'm really digging it!

I've also been reading through the complete series of Ren & Stimpy - Dan Slott (the writer) nails the voices of each character perfectly! It's like reading unreleased episodes - I'm really enjoying them.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

It's amazing that so many of us are re-reading Bloodshot.

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

"The writer) nails your mom looks like Bloodshot. " :lol: :P

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Sandman vol 4 - I liked the first part of this where it was about his family and the key to hell. Then, it got a bit floofy, but later got back to the key to hell story with some floof mixed in.

I'm still pushing on, knowing this series is a one-time read for me.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

400yrs wrote:Sandman vol 4 - I liked the first part of this where it was about his family and the key to hell. Then, it got a bit floofy, but later got back to the key to hell story with some floof mixed in.

I'm still pushing on, knowing this series is a one-time read for me.
I liked Season of Mists, especially the Asgard stuff and the treatment of Lucifer. Volume 5 is another very good one, and volume 6 is yet another collection of one-shot stories. Great series, but not for everyone.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Elveen wrote:
Jersen wrote:I'm still working my way through Fourth World Omnibus Vol. 2, reading an issue or maybe 2 most nights before I go to sleep. At the same time, I'm spending alot of my chill time at home reading Modernism: The Lure of Heresy by Peter Gay. As an undergraduate, I was also more fascinated with the modern era than any other period in literature, and this book really examines the social context and reactions to modernism in all the artistic media from mid-1800s through the 1960s. Gay takes an in-depth look at each medium individually (painting/sculpture, prose/poetry, architecture, drama, and film) using a handful of each medium's top practitioners to examine the attitudes, stances, methods, and purposes of modernism.

Ever read Lost Girls?

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Cyberstrike wrote:
Elveen wrote:

Ever read Lost Girls?
I have not read Lost Girls. I've heard it is a bit soft core. True?

Jersen

Post by Jersen »

Elveen wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Elveen wrote:

Ever read Lost Girls?
I have not read Lost Girls. I've heard it is a bit soft core. True?
Never read either one, though I did come across a Promethea torrent a little while back. I've heard several good things about it.

Phantom..
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Location: The Royal Valiant Fans thank Dino and Svair for their kindness!

Post by Phantom.. »

Just finished Skrull killing crew ~ the newer one.
Now reeading Tailgunner JO.

Really liked Skrull killing crew, off to buy the first series (morrision?)
Very funny. Reminds me of body bags.

Tailgunner Jo ~ weird.

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

Just finished Thor vs. Seth the Serpent God TPB.

Incredible adventure story! :thumb:

vikingspawn

Post by vikingspawn »

Dark Dominion #0 - I like the smell of these plastic card pages from the binder as I read this classic story. *sniff-sniff-snort*

8-)

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

scrach and plasm

Billy Walker
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: Eternal Warrior 4/Rai 0
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior
Favorite title: Eternal Warrior/Harbinger
Locke and Key

Post by Billy Walker »

I know someone has already mentioned it somewhere but Locke and Key is one of the best series I have read in years. Just wanted to give it a bump. Joe Hill has a website at www.JoeHillFiction.com. Every so often he'll do a signing to support a local bookstore or two. I've had good experiences with two of the stores. He'll usually sign a couple of issues/books and personalize one for the buyer with your name and a doodle.

Great reads. I think they'll look spectacular in digital form. Well worth the money. Seems to appreciate his fans. What more could you ask?

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Invincible 78 - The Viltrumite War is over and we get back to what I love about this book. Drama. Kirkman's best book is still firing on all cylinders.

Intrepids 1
- This one has an Umbrella Academy type of vibe in that 4 kids are brought together by one guy who is not their father to fight mad scientists. But it's not quite as far out there which is what turned me off to Umbrella Academy.
I enjoyed the clean art and the characters. The writer wrote a pretty touching page in the back about what this story means to him. Added to my monthly pull.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Reading LoEG Black Dossier.

I am really enjoying LoEG. Some of the extra "stuff" is really enjoyable and some not as much, but overall, just a notch below excellent.

I just feel like it is more than just a comic book, it feels and reads like literature.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Elveen wrote:Reading LoEG Black Dossier.

I am really enjoying LoEG. Some of the extra "stuff" is really enjoyable and some not as much, but overall, just a notch below excellent.

I just feel like it is more than just a comic book, it feels and reads like literature.
Isn't Black Dossier the one with "the scene" between Hyde and the Invisible Man?

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

xodacia81 wrote:
Elveen wrote:Reading LoEG Black Dossier.

Isn't Black Dossier the one with "the scene" between Hyde and the Invisible Man?
No, that is LoEG vol 2. Luckily he is invisible.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Sandman Vol 5 - I read through more than half of this and then started skimming. I like this book better when dream is in it. The one is all about Barbie.

I'm done with Sandman. I'm not saying it's bad. It's not my thing. It's much too fantasy for me and that's a genre I can't stand. I'm certain there are some fantastic stories I'll be missing, but I just can't stand to read through anything like vol 5 again.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

400yrs wrote:Sandman Vol 5 - I read through more than half of this and then started skimming. I like this book better when dream is in it. The one is all about Barbie.

I'm done with Sandman. I'm not saying it's bad. It's not my thing. It's much too fantasy for me and that's a genre I can't stand. I'm certain there are some fantastic stories I'll be missing, but I just can't stand to read through anything like vol 5 again.
Volume 5 is the only really Morpheus-lite volume in the series. Sadly, you're missing out on the story about his family, and I mean his "wife" and his son. But, if it isn't your cuppa, then no big deal. Me, I loved it. I would not say it is perfect, but on balance, because of the highly literate and mythological nature of the thing, it's probably my # 1 series. I would suggest 100 Bullets or Preacher as something you might enjoy, although Preacher is a bit outlandish for some people's tastes.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Morning Glories TPB vol 1. I read this all in one sitting. It reads much better as a trade than singles.

dave
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that you like it. The "formula" seems very repetitive to me. Maybe as a Trade I would feel different, though.