What video game are you currently playing?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

h-comics
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by h-comics »

Damn near finishing Borderlands :thumb: . Personally one of the most enjoyable game I have played in a long time.Having a tough time finding the Pearl Weapons though,so far I have only found one and I have playing it for over a year now.

Jesse

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

h-comics wrote:Damn near finishing Borderlands :thumb: . Personally one of the most enjoyable game I have played in a long time.Having a tough time finding the Pearl Weapons though,so far I have only found one and I have playing it for over a year now.

Jesse
Borderlands is a game that I really want to like, but it seems like I spend the majority of my time trying to hunt down ammo. Admittedly, though, I am a very bad aim. :thumb:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

h-comics wrote:Damn near finishing Borderlands :thumb: . Personally one of the most enjoyable game I have played in a long time.Having a tough time finding the Pearl Weapons though,so far I have only found one and I have playing it for over a year now.

Jesse
I found two within a few minutes of each other once ... ah, nice!

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

I was playing Resident Evil, which I picked up for two bucks at Goodwill, on my PS2 until I went to save and it kept telling me I didn't have a memory card installed. :!:

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Burrito Boy wrote:I was playing Resident Evil, which I picked up for two bucks at Goodwill, on my PS2 until I went to save and it kept telling me I didn't have a memory card installed. :!:
Ouch, that happened to me a few years ago, but I can't remember what game I was playing at the time. Very frustrating to say the least.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

im on my 3ed ps2 so far but its been over 10 years as well

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

Burrito Boy wrote:I was playing Resident Evil, which I picked up for two bucks at Goodwill, on my PS2 until I went to save and it kept telling me I didn't have a memory card installed. :!:
Might seem like a dumb question but did you have a PS1 mem card in or was it the PS2 card?

I am playing through Persona 3 Portable on PSP at the moment. Pretty much a straight port of the original with a few of the fixes from P3 FES as far as I know but as I never managed to get a copy of P3 when it was first released it doesn't really bother me. The PSP version also allows you to play as a female lead character which changes the social interaction side of the story. Might go for that option if I replay it at a later date.

Also picked up Loco Roco 2, Dragooneers Aria and 3rd Birthday on PSP so I have plenty to keep me going for now :D

Burrito Boy

Post by Burrito Boy »

Drift wrote:
Might seem like a dumb question but did you have a PS1 mem card in or was it the PS2 card?

I am playing through Persona 3 Portable on PSP at the moment. Pretty much a straight port of the original with a few of the fixes from P3 FES as far as I know but as I never managed to get a copy of P3 when it was first released it doesn't really bother me. The PSP version also allows you to play as a female lead character which changes the social interaction side of the story. Might go for that option if I replay it at a later date.

Also picked up Loco Roco 2, Dragooneers Aria and 3rd Birthday on PSP so I have plenty to keep me going for now :D
I only have a PS2 memory card. I had no idea I needed a PS1 memory card. That is what you're getting at, right? Please say yes. Because I was worried I'd have to get a PS1.

What's this P3 FES you're talking about? I'm not really a gamer so I'm not up on the lingo. :)

Drift

Post by Drift »

Burrito Boy wrote:
Drift wrote:

I only have a PS2 memory card. I had no idea I needed a PS1 memory card. That is what you're getting at, right? Please say yes. Because I was worried I'd have to get a PS1.

What's this P3 FES you're talking about? I'm not really a gamer so I'm not up on the lingo. :)
Yes, you just need a PS1 mem card.

P3 FES was just a special edition of the game with some updates and tweaks to story and controls as far as I know. There might have been some additional features or extended story sections but I am not 100% on that as I only discovered it's existence recently.

Burrito Boy

Post by Burrito Boy »

Thanks! You saved me the cost of buying a PS1. :thumb:

Drift

Post by Drift »

Couldn't wait til I had finished Persona 3, I had to give 3rd Birthday a go and I am glad I did. It is amazing. 3rd person over shoulder shooter with an RPG edge, some amazing visuals and a cool story.

You play as Aya Brea, A woman with no knowledge of her past but with an extraordinary ability. She has the power to send her consciousness through time and inhabit the bodies of others.

Manhattan has been overrun by mutants that belched out from hives that sprang from the ground. Aya has to go back and change the past in order to rid the world of the hives.

Gameplay is fast as you run around shooting the mutants, called the Twisted, in real time while hopping from body to body in the ruined streets of New York.

Graphics are great with some really nice set pieces. Square Enix on top form.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

I'm surprised, Square and J-RPGs in particular have fallen apart in the last few years. An over reliance on 3 or 4 stories, incredibly linear in comparisson American counterparts and graphically a few paces behind. You seem to be rocking a fair few of them though, are they holding up better on handhelds?

Drift

Post by Drift »

ian_house wrote:I'm surprised, Square and J-RPGs in particular have fallen apart in the last few years. An over reliance on 3 or 4 stories, incredibly linear in comparisson American counterparts and graphically a few paces behind. You seem to be rocking a fair few of them though, are they holding up better on handhelds?
The original DS is pretty much a mini N64 and the PSP is a PS2 in a can so they don't really stand up to the big guns in terms of graphical capabilities but because of the smaller screens, what once might have seemed like a flawed cartoony style works really well (see ports of things like the earlier Final Fantasy games, Ghostlight's ShinMegaTen, Koei's Disgaea and such).

Reworking games like Squenix did with FF4 on the DS is much easier and cheaper than producing a new version, same with straight ports as the games are already done, all you have to do is repackage in the desired format, i.e. UMD or DS cart etc.

Square have done quite a few newer bits recently (I think they held about 6 of the top 10 spots for the PSP chart a few weeks back) and I imagine it is probably down to the fact that they are producing what is essentially a PS2 game on a budget that was a fraction of the cost that they were paying for development costs when the PS2 first came out because of the current gen consoles command the big money now.

As a result, I think they are more willing to try new things for the handhelds as they can still command high prices for new games (PSP games are still retailing upwards of £25 on release) but are paying pennies to make them. They are less likely to take risks with big releases on consoles like PS3 and Xbox 360 because of the costs involved. At the end of it, we get treated to a really smooth RPG with the appearance of a highly polished, almost above PS2 quality game with more original, enjoyable storyline and, in the case of polished ports, less problems with controls and interfaces as they have had a chance to work the bugs out.

With the arrival of places like CEX in town, I have expanded my collection of games monstrously whilst rarely ever paying even a tenner because the shops treat PSP like *SQUEE*. High original release prices and a lot of obscure and fringe titles along with the colossal turkey that is UMD Video led to a less positive reaction to the system than was hoped for. This means that I get cool stuff for prices I like, i.e. CHEAP!!! :D

So in answer to your question: Yes.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Drift wrote:
ian_house wrote:I'm surprised, Square and J-RPGs in particular have fallen apart in the last few years. An over reliance on 3 or 4 stories, incredibly linear in comparisson American counterparts and graphically a few paces behind. You seem to be rocking a fair few of them though, are they holding up better on handhelds?
The original DS is pretty much a mini N64 and the PSP is a PS2 in a can so they don't really stand up to the big guns in terms of graphical capabilities but because of the smaller screens, what once might have seemed like a flawed cartoony style works really well (see ports of things like the earlier Final Fantasy games, Ghostlight's ShinMegaTen, Koei's Disgaea and such).

Reworking games like Squenix did with FF4 on the DS is much easier and cheaper than producing a new version, same with straight ports as the games are already done, all you have to do is repackage in the desired format, i.e. UMD or DS cart etc.

Square have done quite a few newer bits recently (I think they held about 6 of the top 10 spots for the PSP chart a few weeks back) and I imagine it is probably down to the fact that they are producing what is essentially a PS2 game on a budget that was a fraction of the cost that they were paying for development costs when the PS2 first came out because of the current gen consoles command the big money now.

As a result, I think they are more willing to try new things for the handhelds as they can still command high prices for new games (PSP games are still retailing upwards of £25 on release) but are paying pennies to make them. They are less likely to take risks with big releases on consoles like PS3 and Xbox 360 because of the costs involved. At the end of it, we get treated to a really smooth RPG with the appearance of a highly polished, almost above PS2 quality game with more original, enjoyable storyline and, in the case of polished ports, less problems with controls and interfaces as they have had a chance to work the bugs out.

With the arrival of places like CEX in town, I have expanded my collection of games monstrously whilst rarely ever paying even a tenner because the shops treat PSP like *SQUEE*. High original release prices and a lot of obscure and fringe titles along with the colossal turkey that is UMD Video led to a less positive reaction to the system than was hoped for. This means that I get cool stuff for prices I like, i.e. CHEAP!!! :D

So in answer to your question: Yes.
Well said. In particular, FF4 for the DS was very well done, and was tough as nails to finish. ALMOST, but not quite, TOO tough.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

So my wife brings home Captain America: Super Soldier (Xbox 360) for me AS WELL AS Marvel vs. cap com 3: Fate of Two Worlds... she must want me out of the living room as I have been watching The Avengers cartoon on Netflicks all damn day.... Lol

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Mass Effect 1 and Hydro Thunder Hurricane on the Xbox 360.

robb77
nice one
nice one

Post by robb77 »

Last edited by robb77 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:33:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Just finished Assassin's Creed 1. It was pretty good considering when it came out. Ubisoft seems to have a pattern of improving their games in needed ways without taking away the awesome which was already there. More goodness and nothing getting more broken.

Had to go back and play this one before AC: Revelations comes out in November. I had heard great stuff about the AC series but heard that number 1 was somewhat repetitive and that AC2 was so much improved over the first. So I ended up buying and playing AC2, then we borrowed AC: Brotherhood from a friend of one of my kids and I played that and loved it also. So I'm eagerly awaiting Revelations and was eager to have the complete story before starting it.

Phoenix8008
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Knightt wrote:So my wife brings home Captain America: Super Soldier (Xbox 360) for me AS WELL AS Marvel vs. cap com 3: Fate of Two Worlds... she must want me out of the living room as I have been watching The Avengers cartoon on Netflicks all damn day.... Lol
I'd love to hear what you think of the Captain America game once you've gotten into it some. I need to check online again to see if there is a demo/trial version of the game.

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
Knightt wrote:So my wife brings home Captain America: Super Soldier (Xbox 360) for me AS WELL AS Marvel vs. cap com 3: Fate of Two Worlds... she must want me out of the living room as I have been watching The Avengers cartoon on Netflicks all damn day.... Lol
I'd love to hear what you think of the Captain America game once you've gotten into it some. I need to check online again to see if there is a demo/trial version of the game.
I watched a YouTube video someone made of the final "boss" in Captain America. It looked like a pretty decent game.

I'm just anxiously waiting on RE4 for the 360. Yea, buddy! :thumb:

David_Cody
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Just finished Assassin's Creed 1. It was pretty good considering when it came out. Ubisoft seems to have a pattern of improving their games in needed ways without taking away the awesome which was already there. More goodness and nothing getting more broken.

Had to go back and play this one before AC: Revelations comes out in November. I had heard great stuff about the AC series but heard that number 1 was somewhat repetitive and that AC2 was so much improved over the first. So I ended up buying and playing AC2, then we borrowed AC: Brotherhood from a friend of one of my kids and I played that and loved it also. So I'm eagerly awaiting Revelations and was eager to have the complete story before starting it.
I've always wanted to try Assassin's Creed. It looks like a very interesting premise. The problem I have with "open" adventures like that is that I am very, very, very bad with directions. Anyone who knows me knows that I have less than zero sense of direction. It runs on my mom's side of the family and two of us have it bad.

I just have to think that I'd get "lost" frequently in that game. I play more linear games because of this and I think Assassin's Creed would just be too aggravating for me.

I think that's why I didn't have a problem with Batman Arkham Asylum. Because I could see a distinct delineation of North, South, East, and West. :?

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
I can't vouch for the other versions but I'm having a blast with the Wii version I rented. Graphics are only ok on the Wii (though the sound is fantastic, love the music) and the story is medocre (I can't believe Christos Gage wrote this corny dialog) but it is faithful to the comic.

The gameplay is the main draw. Cap feels like he's straight out of the comic the he way jumps and moves, throws and blocks with the shield, does Kirby-esque fighting moves to take out room-fulls of bad guys. The melee combat is a joy and it's just a blast to be able to fully use all of Cap's abilities in a game (the way you can go into focus mode and "paint" a half dozen targets and then let the shield just ricochete around hitting them all is just awesome).

The platforming and "puzzle solving" (deflecting bullets/lasers at targets, luring heat seeking missles at targets, etc) is fun and has a Cap feel it to, but there's way too much of it in there and it gets a little tedious sometimes as it makes the levels seem overly comvoluted and long. Since the focus of the combat is all on fighting groups of enemies, the boss fights aren't as satisifying (you have to deflect attacks and hit weak points with your shield, etc) but there's only four of those.

Overall it's good points make its flaws worth it. I could sit there and beat the hell of hydra grunts all day (it's ashame there's no survival mode) It took me around 10 hours to beat and it's taking me another 6 or so hours to replay levels to find items I missed and unlock stuff. Definately worth a rent or discounted buy.
Last edited by Todd Luck on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:22:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I am having fun with the Cap game... it IS a bit nostalgic, not bad graphics and I just do not find any stupid points that make me roll my eyes. I have not seen the movie yet so this is a nice stall until I do. I also went back and purchased Iron Man 2 and REALLY do not know why I didnt get into it the first time I bought it. The game is pretty damn fun and just challenging enough to keep me coming back.

I also just bought (on the CHEAP) Thor, Slaughterhouse and Brutal Legend (still stalling on putting in Bioshock 2 for some reason) and those games are 'ok'. I am glad they were so cheap to pick up. I think that I have figured out that in general I am becoming disenchanted with playing video games unless they are of a superhero nature as these games, even though the majority of them (not including Batman) are movie to game games by Sega are enjoyable for me. I mean, I read comics so why not play the game about comics ? I am just saying I believe that I lean more towards the superhero genre... I DO wish that more would be of the Batman Arkham Asylum/City games in quality and storytelling.

Captain America is just fine and I think I will grade this one higher than lets say Green Lantern when I pick that one up someday... on the cheap.

Batman Arkham City ? I think I will buy the premium game package JUST because and it does have a pretty damn cool Batman black and white statue. The game is MUST buy. I DO think Arkham Asylum could be better because it is a game where I need a game guide when all I want to do is press a few button combos and beat the hell out of bad guys and play with cool bat gadgets.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

david_albuq wrote:I've always wanted to try Assassin's Creed. It looks like a very interesting premise. The problem I have with "open" adventures like that is that I am very, very, very bad with directions. Anyone who knows me knows that I have less than zero sense of direction. It runs on my mom's side of the family and two of us have it bad.

I just have to think that I'd get "lost" frequently in that game. I play more linear games because of this and I think Assassin's Creed would just be too aggravating for me.

I think that's why I didn't have a problem with Batman Arkham Asylum. Because I could see a distinct delineation of North, South, East, and West. :?
Do NOT buy that game... if you want to play it, PM with your address (I know, AGAIN) and you can have my copy. I played it for a while and pretty much had a decent time but then Assassins Creed II came out and I dropped the first one. I do not have any intentions of playing it any longer so I will send it to you if you would like to play it.

You know I try and hook you up with games, my brutha !!!

:thumb: