What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

400yrs wrote:
geocarr wrote:I read Knights on Broadway #1-3 recently for the first time and really enjoyed the basic concept of the story and the character development and the story elements that I think were being set up. Shame they never got to finish telling the rest of the story.
I tried reading that line a while back. The art hurt my eyes too much.
Really? Even the JG Jones stuff?

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

xodacia81 wrote:
400yrs wrote:
geocarr wrote:I read Knights on Broadway #1-3 recently for the first time and really enjoyed the basic concept of the story and the character development and the story elements that I think were being set up. Shame they never got to finish telling the rest of the story.
I got rid of all of it so I don't remember particularly. Whenever I see chicks with big boobs in comics, I'm out. Babes on Broadway was enough to turn me off of the line.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

400yrs wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
400yrs wrote:
I got rid of all of it so I don't remember particularly. Whenever I see chicks with big boobs in comics, I'm out. Babes on Broadway was enough to turn me off of the line.
I'm surprised you let one bad apple sour you on the whole line. I don't think the stories were up to the caliber of Invincible necessarily but I think they hold up well and I feel I will definitely re-read them and contemplate how they could have possibly ended. Having said that, I did think the coloring was too dark in plces on the Knights on Broadway books.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

geocarr wrote:
400yrs wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
400yrs wrote:
I'm surprised you let one bad apple sour you on the whole line. I don't think the stories were up to the caliber of Invincible necessarily but I think they hold up well and I feel I will definitely re-read them and contemplate how they could have possibly ended. Having said that, I did think the coloring was too dark in plces on the Knights on Broadway books.
I'm going to speak to both of you here. I think the art was serviceable and where there were "big boobs", I think they were going for a sendup rather than titilation. As to the coloring, I remember thinking that part of the problem might have been the paper stock they used. I think the stories were fine, and the art wasn't "bad" as far as I'm concerned.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I just remember too much lime green on the covers. Weird things turn me off, I guess.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

400yrs wrote:I just remember too much lime green on the covers. Weird things turn me off, I guess.
That was for Knights on Broadway but that was because it was representing a virtual reality grid.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

400yrs wrote:I started up on Fall of the Mutants. I read this a long time ago. I'm starting to think that I liked X-Factor much more than Uncanny back in the day. God, I hate Claremont's wordiness.
You've nailed Claremont's "approach" perfectly.

I'm currently reading X-Factor and it is quite good. Louise Simonson got in a nice, long run (something that's missing too much in these days of 8-12 month creative team changes) that allowed her to really craft the direction of these characters and establish sub-plots that continued to slowly build for 10 months (or more!) before coming to fruition.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Doorman wrote:
400yrs wrote:I started up on Fall of the Mutants. I read this a long time ago. I'm starting to think that I liked X-Factor much more than Uncanny back in the day. God, I hate Claremont's wordiness.
You've nailed Claremont's "approach" perfectly.

I'm currently reading X-Factor and it is quite good. Louise Simonson got in a nice, long run (something that's missing too much in these days of 8-12 month creative team changes) that allowed her to really craft the direction of these characters and establish sub-plots that continued to slowly build for 10 months (or more!) before coming to fruition.
I really remember liking the X-Factor run. I remember Archangel being one of my favorite characters.

I have another 2 issues in this Fall of the Mutants to read from Claremont's Uncanny. If I don't like it, I think I'm just going to get rid of the rest of my Uncannys. I already got rid of everything above 281.

The X-Men stuff that I recall actually liking is Astonishing, New X-Men (Morisson stuff) and that's about it. I'm thinking that Uncanny just really isn't my thing.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Getting caught up with my favorite super-heroes from Marvel and DC. That's The Flash at DC and (bumped up from second place until Spider-Man's proper continuity is restored) Captain America at Marvel.

Just finished Flash: Rebirth and Captain America: Reborn. Or did I swap those titles?

I knew Steve's death was temporary. But unstuck in time? What a lame thing to do with what was such an incredible book.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I just finished the Noble Causes #1 TPB.

I really liked it. I have been slowly trying to build a Noble Causes run (I have about half of the books), but I needed something to read, so I decided to read the 1st TPB. I like that it's not really about the "super" part of the heroes, but the relationships. I have found that I really like that.

I also remember liking the Dynamo 5.

I think I am going to add both of these books to my "buy when I find them in cheap bins" books.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Getting ready to read Long Bow Hunters. The GN section at the Lynchburg library is...interesting. They have a bunch of Crossgen. Mostly stuff I've read. They even have two of the travel editions in there.

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

I took the plunge and bought all current titles of Flashpoint to include the Prelude with variants this weekend - now all I am missing is Flash #12 Variant and I have them all so far. So that is what I am currently reading.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

BruceReville wrote:I took the plunge and bought all current titles of Flashpoint to include the Prelude with variants this weekend - now all I am missing is Flash #12 Variant and I have them all so far. So that is what I am currently reading.
I am saving up SOME of the FP books til later. I think I'm going to stick with the main series, WOF and the Batman and Green Lantern ones as ones I will read as they come out. I'll buy them all at the end of the summer when I have the money for it. Otherwise, too damn expensive for me with current funds.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

We got my daughter a 12 issue sub to Tiny Titans through her school. She seems to be digging it and asked me for more so I just picked her up another 20 or so issues from CCL for 75¢ each.

They are actually pretty cool little reads. I like that the stories are a few pages each. I think that helps to keep attention of little kids better than one 22 page story.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I have read the first two trades of Madam Xanadu. I really enjoy this series and wish that I had read it when it was coming out.

This is a Vertigo series written by Matt Wagner. The series ran just short of 30 issues and has been released as 4 TPBs. The fourth should ship in August.

The first TPB covers the first ten issues and is probably the best Matt Wagner story I have ever read, including his Grendel and Zorro works. It features five connected stories of Madam Xanadu meeting the Phantom Stranger at different points over the last 1200 years. Several mainstream DCU characters are mentioned or make cameos including the Demon and the green lantern that Alan Scott finds in the 1940s and Death from the Sandman. Several real life historical figures feature in the stories, like Marie Antionette, Jack the Ripper and Kublai Khan.

The second trade covers the next five issues and follows two connected stories, one set in the late 1940s and the other set in the 1490s. It makes for an interesting symmetry.

geocarr
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Chiclo wrote:I have read the first two trades of Madam Xanadu. I really enjoy this series and wish that I had read it when it was coming out.

This is a Vertigo series written by Matt Wagner. The series ran just short of 30 issues and has been released as 4 TPBs. The fourth should ship in August.

The first TPB covers the first ten issues and is probably the best Matt Wagner story I have ever read, including his Grendel and Zorro works. It features five connected stories of Madam Xanadu meeting the Phantom Stranger at different points over the last 1200 years. Several mainstream DCU characters are mentioned or make cameos including the Demon and the green lantern that Alan Scott finds in the 1940s and Death from the Sandman. Several real life historical figures feature in the stories, like Marie Antionette, Jack the Ripper and Kublai Khan.

The second trade covers the next five issues and follows two connected stories, one set in the late 1940s and the other set in the 1490s. It makes for an interesting symmetry.
Agreed. This has been a great read.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

Just read issues #2 & #3 of Undying Love published by Image comics and really liking it. The art is fantastic and the story is top notch.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

Chiclo wrote:I have read the first two trades of Madam Xanadu. I really enjoy this series and wish that I had read it when it was coming out.

The Madam Xanadu TPBs sound great. I love when historical stuff is worked in.

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

I am reading a TPB that I got at a thrift store.

OMAC TPB, leading up to Infinity Crisis I think. It's ok so far. It focuses on Blue Beetle and Booster Gold (both characters I know NOTHING about).

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Super Dinosaur #2 - This is dumb fun. It does feel like Kirkman's heart is into it unlike Astounding Wolf Man.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Reading Flash v2 from issue one up. May start a blog to post my thoughts as I go through the entire run, but let me just say....Mike Baron can write the hell out of a comic book. This is some of the best stuff I've ever read (and now am re-reading).

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Tim wrote:Reading Flash v2 from issue one up. May start a blog to post my thoughts as I go through the entire run, but let me just say....Mike Baron can write the hell out of a comic book. This is some of the best stuff I've ever read (and now am re-reading).
I'd like to check that out. I've read the Waid and Johns stuff and liked it, but not the early stuff.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Tim wrote:Reading Flash v2 from issue one up. May start a blog to post my thoughts as I go through the entire run, but let me just say....Mike Baron can write the hell out of a comic book. This is some of the best stuff I've ever read (and now am re-reading).
I think the only work of Mike Baron's that I have read outside of his Valiant work would be Badger and Nexus. They are both well written books.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Chiclo wrote:
I think the only work of Mike Baron's that I have read outside of his Valiant work would be Badger and Nexus. They are both well written books.
Yes they were and I only read the stuff that DH printed. I was really looking forward to Nexus: Out of the Vortex, when DH axed it 2 weeks before the first issue was to ship.

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chisumwomack »

Ok, just wrapped up a major reading mission that took me over a year. Through trades, the odd single issues, and torrents, I have slogged through the entire DC Universe from COIE to current. All the Superman titles, Flash, Green Lantern, Guy Gardner, JLA, JLE, JLI, Aquaman, Aztec, Secret Six, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, All the Batman titles, all the event titles, and others that I can't recall right now, every damn thing. Was it worth it? There was a lot of great stuff. And a lot of crap. Now off to some old Swamp Thing.