What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

chisumwomack wrote:Ok, just wrapped up a major reading mission that took me over a year. Through trades, the odd single issues, and torrents, I have slogged through the entire DC Universe from COIE to current. All the Superman titles, Flash, Green Lantern, Guy Gardner, JLA, JLE, JLI, Aquaman, Aztec, Secret Six, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, All the Batman titles, all the event titles, and others that I can't recall right now, every damn thing. Was it worth it? There was a lot of great stuff. And a lot of crap. Now off to some old Swamp Thing.
GOOD GOD MAN! :clap: :clap: :clap: :o :o :o

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

400yrs wrote:
Tim wrote:Reading Flash v2 from issue one up. May start a blog to post my thoughts as I go through the entire run, but let me just say....Mike Baron can write the hell out of a comic book. This is some of the best stuff I've ever read (and now am re-reading).
I'd like to check that out. I've read the Waid and Johns stuff and liked it, but not the early stuff.
Honestly, I missed a good bit of it the first time around myself. I started picking up the title around issue #90 (couldn't pass up those Wieringo covers....still my favorite artist of all time). I really became interested in the character after that and picked up a bunch of the earlier issues, but only read them sporadically. At the time, my monthly pull list was pretty big so I didn't get to dig into my back issues like I would have liked. Shame I missed out on those for so long, but I'm enjoying the heck out of them now. I've read a lot of Jackson' Guice's work (mainly his Superman and Captain America work) but have to say, I think this is his best stuff.

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

Destroyer (1989 Magazine) 2
Destroyer (1989 Magazine) 3
Destroyer (1989 Magazine) 5
Destroyer (1989 Magazine) 6
Destroyer (1989 Magazine) 7
Destroyer (1989 Magazine) 8
Destroyer (1989 Magazine) 9
Galactic (2003) 1
Galactic (2003) 2
Galactic (2003) 3
Justice Inc. (1975
Justice Inc. (1975
Justice Inc. (1975
Justice Inc. (1975
Kirby Genesis (2011 Dynamite) 1A
Rocketeer Adventures (2011 IDW) 1A
Static Shock Special (2011 DC) 1 Really touching. :cry:
Thunderstrike (1993-1995 1st Series) 14A

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

New X-men #114-127

Simpsons Comics #179 - with an all new Scientology story!

Star Wars: Dark Times - Blue Harvest

:clap:

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

I finished the Uncanny issues of The Fall of the Mutants. Archangel, Rogue, Wolvie, Longshot, Dazzler, Colossus were probably most of my favorite X-Men. I just really can't stand Claremont aside from a few issues.

I'm pretty sure that I'll be getting rid of my remaining Uncannys the next time I do a sweep in a long while.

I'm going to wait a while before reading the X-Factor issues. I need to get the Claremont out of my mouth first.

Burrito Boy
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

I thought disliking Claremont was unique to me. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

400yrs wrote:I need to get the Claremont out of my mouth first.
Eeeewwwwww :o

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I'm considering getting out of new comics altogether as I've chopped my list down again. I may not order anything next month if the number of books don't justify the shipping costs. In fact, I probably would've cancelled my order this month if my wife didn't want an Anita Blake trade. If I skip a month, it's not likely I'll come back soon.

The current books on my list:

Walking Dead - love it
Invincible - love it
Chew - love it
Scalped - love it
Amazing Spider-man - has been sliding
Daredevil - last mini really sucked
Detective - jury is out on this (I've only read 2 issues)
Super Dinosaur - could care less

So I have 4 books that I can count on each month now and Invincible and Chew tend to hit late sometimes (Invincible moreso). That kind of sucks and isn't worth driving to a shop or shipping charges.

The last time I got out of comics, it was a bit before the collapse. I'm thinking the *SQUEE* quality of current books and the goings-ons have the hobby on the verge of collapse again.

I'd like to hold out for a VEI launch, but who knows when that might actually happen......

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Stick with Detective if its the Snyder run your talking about, has been very good. The mini series Gates of Gotham he is writing at the mo has also been top.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Got Batman Beyond: Hush Beyond TPB for $1 and read it last night and I'd give it 2.5 out of 5 stars. I might or might not re-read it in the future.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

400yrs wrote:I'm considering getting out of new comics altogether as I've chopped my list down again. I may not order anything next month if the number of books don't justify the shipping costs. In fact, I probably would've cancelled my order this month if my wife didn't want an Anita Blake trade. If I skip a month, it's not likely I'll come back soon.

The current books on my list:

Walking Dead - love it
Invincible - love it
Chew - love it
Scalped - love it
Amazing Spider-man - has been sliding
Daredevil - last mini really sucked
Detective - jury is out on this (I've only read 2 issues)
Super Dinosaur - could care less

So I have 4 books that I can count on each month now and Invincible and Chew tend to hit late sometimes (Invincible moreso). That kind of sucks and isn't worth driving to a shop or shipping charges.

The last time I got out of comics, it was a bit before the collapse. I'm thinking the *SQUEE* quality of current books and the goings-ons have the hobby on the verge of collapse again.

I'd like to hold out for a VEI launch, but who knows when that might actually happen......
I fealt this way a few months ago and I still feel that the current comics being put out are not as strong as they have been in the past few years. The only new titles I personally read are pretty much the same as you:

TWD
Invincible
Scalped
Chew
Undying Love (which I really like. The artwork is fantastic)
GL - which is starting to bore me
Dark-Key books (which are effectively dead)
and I pick up new Image books everyonce in while, but most are just okay.

The last few months I have been focusing on buying back issues from the 70's and 80's. Specifically old Daredevil and Hulk books.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

I'm out of the new comics market again myself. I was buying stuff like Blackest Night, which I found dull and then the Dark Key stuff, which fizzled and then the CrossGen stuff which I was excited about till I found out that they were 4 issue minis...

I was reading Birds of Prey too-which started very well, then fizzled and then just got dumb with the Death of Oracle thing, and is now even worse with Babs leaving the chair.

I have been thinking about picking up Animal Man and Swamp Thing in the new DCU but...it might just be better to get out of comics again.

I might try picking up some key books from years back like FMs Daredevil and stuff like that.

Or just trades etc.

sigh

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

ian_house wrote:Stick with Detective if its the Snyder run your talking about, has been very good. The mini series Gates of Gotham he is writing at the mo has also been top.
Yep. I picked it up for the Jock art, but that Gordon done in one was awesome as was the first part of the story with the whale.

What is Gates of Gotham about?

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I just read Civil War 1-7. I actually found it very interesting, better than I was expecting.

I then read Green Lantern HC Secret Origins (current series). It was good, but not great.

Not sure what I am going to be reading next.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

400yrs wrote:
ian_house wrote:Stick with Detective if its the Snyder run your talking about, has been very good. The mini series Gates of Gotham he is writing at the mo has also been top.
Yep. I picked it up for the Jock art, but that Gordon done in one was awesome as was the first part of the story with the whale.

It's a current case in Gotham with a good varirty of the Bat family thats closely linked to the past and the citys history. Two issues in and it seems to be shaping up really nicely. Nice pace flicking between the past and present and you feel like your learning something cool about the history of Gotham whilst not making silly claims that mess up continuity or character histories. Everyone is written with the correct voice, if you get what I mean?

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

ian_house wrote:
400yrs wrote:

It's a current case in Gotham with a good varirty of the Bat family thats closely linked to the past and the citys history. Two issues in and it seems to be shaping up really nicely. Nice pace flicking between the past and present and you feel like your learning something cool about the history of Gotham whilst not making silly claims that mess up continuity or character histories. Everyone is written with the correct voice, if you get what I mean?
Cool. So is that going to be like 5 issues or something because of the reboot? Maybe I'll check out a trade. Snyder is a writer that I need to check out.

dbngaa
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dbngaa »

I am also mostly out of monthly new comics. Even the new comics I do buy aren't monthly, so the majority of my comics budget is on trades or runs of series I haven't read yet. That being said, I do try new titles occasionally and sometimes they stick (or they don't and I sell/trade them). As of right now my pull list consists of: Criminal or Incognito (whichever series Brubaker is putting out at the time); Rasl by Jeff Smith; Echo by Terry Moore, which will be replaced by Rachel Rising now that Echo is done; Powers; Astro City; the occasional Berlin issue from Jason Lutes; and Fell #10, if that ever sees the light of day.
I've been rereading Sandman the past month and will start a Valiant reread after that.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Elveen wrote:I just read Civil War 1-7. I actually found it very interesting, better than I was expecting.

I then read Green Lantern HC Secret Origins (current series). It was good, but not great.

Not sure what I am going to be reading next.
Is the GL book the only GL you've read of the Geoff Johns era? If not, I highly recommend starting with Rebirth. Why? I'm not a huge fan of Secret Origin. It just doesn't hold together as a story in its own right the way every other story arc in GL does.

I will suggest CHEW, in case you've not tried it. Also, Fell, if you can find the 8 or 9 issue collection.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

dbngaa wrote:I am also mostly out of monthly new comics. Even the new comics I do buy aren't monthly, so the majority of my comics budget is on trades or runs of series I haven't read yet. That being said, I do try new titles occasionally and sometimes they stick (or they don't and I sell/trade them). As of right now my pull list consists of: Criminal or Incognito (whichever series Brubaker is putting out at the time); Rasl by Jeff Smith; Echo by Terry Moore, which will be replaced by Rachel Rising now that Echo is done; Powers; Astro City; the occasional Berlin issue from Jason Lutes; and Fell #10, if that ever sees the light of day.
I've been rereading Sandman the past month and will start a Valiant reread after that.
You certainly read some good stuff. Criminal started great and fizzled a bit for me. Incognito was ok. RASL, I started on the singles, buts switched over to the 3 issue over-sized collections. I like that format. I need to pick up the last 2 Echo trades and have issue 1 of Rachel Rising on order. Powers and Astro City were awesome back in the day, but I don't like the current stuff.

If anything, it's the non superhero stuff that is keeping me in comics. I may put in an order next month just because I need the last 2 Echo trades.

dbngaa
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dbngaa »

I agree with you about Astro City to some degree. Since the initial run of 6+22 it has been hit or miss for me. If it came out more often I might have dumped it, but a once a year mini series or one shot I'll still check out. The artwork and essays in Criminal keep me coming back as much or more than the story. My wife's as much or more the Terry Moore fan, so that pretty much ensures any of creator owned books will be on my list. She's not dying to read Lady Supreme of his Runaways stint. :) I liked Echo quite a bit. It was concise and had momentum I thought compared to Strangers in Paradise. Rachel Rising is supposed to be a much longer series so we'll see if it holds our interest.
The straight up superhero books I tend to wait and pick up as trades or when a highly recommended run is finished. Most of the in-continuity monthly books tend to be forgettable to me, so the majority of say Batman, Superman, etc books I own are stand alones.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

dbngaa wrote: I liked Echo quite a bit. It was concise and had momentum I thought compared to Strangers in Paradise. Rachel Rising is supposed to be a much longer series so we'll see if it holds our interest.
That's good to hear. I read SiP for the first time about a year ago. If I was getting it in singles, I wouldn't have stuck with it because it felt dragged out with all the will they / won't they.
dbngaa wrote: The straight up superhero books I tend to wait and pick up as trades or when a highly recommended run is finished. Most of the in-continuity monthly books tend to be forgettable to me, so the majority of say Batman, Superman, etc books I own are stand alones.
That's probably a good way to approach it. I do tend to like the one-shot issues more.

dbngaa
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dbngaa »

400 years,

I was looking back at your other posts and saw your comment about Claremont and the X-Men (not the "get Claremont out of my mouth" comment, although that was funny). I'm with you in that I've tried reading those Uncanny issues and just can't get into them. They feel soap opera to me. I was an X-Men reader beginning with the Mutant Massacre storyline when I first started reading comics and I recently tried reading those again...ended up skimming mostly. But I've run into that with several of the series I loved as a kid. I do still like Longshot. He was always my favorite, as well as Art Adams. And Rocket Raccoon. Fun stuff; early Mignola. Those 2 as the Death of Kraven are about the only comics from my early stint as a comic collector that I still like. Well, Dark Knight Returns too of course. I was pretty into that one - had the 1st prints, 2nd prints, both tpbs, HC and really wanted a signed HC but couldn't convict my parents that I needed a $500 comic. :)

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

I have the Longshot trade ready to re-read pretty soon. I'm thinking with Ann Nocenti and Art Adams, I'm probably going to enjoy it more than the Claremont X-Men.

dbngaa
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dbngaa »

I keep thinking I need to pick up the trade because my copies are the same ones I've had since '85 or whenever it was. They are a bit worn and dark but I'll keep them since there is a sentimental attachment. I saw an ad recently for a new trade of the Rocket Raccoon series. Seems odd that after 25 years they'd finally collect it. Somebody at Marvel is a fan.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

400yrs wrote:
ian_house wrote:
400yrs wrote:

Cool. So is that going to be like 5 issues or something because of the reboot? Maybe I'll check out a trade. Snyder is a writer that I need to check out.
Sorry mate, well busy week.

Trade might be better than singles as it seems like a nice self contained story (bear in mind I'm only 2 issues in). Yeah it'll still be the 5 issues regardless of reboot, was set as 5 issue mini from the start.

I feel the same about Snyder, heard alot of rave reviews about American Vampire but not yet cehcked it out.