What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by 400yrs »

hulk181man wrote: Now, in comparison the Hulk book with General Ross continues to be superb. When Loeb wrote this title it was god awful but Jeff Parker has done a fine job for many months now and the art has been consistently excellent with fine coloring setting the mood. It's also interesting to have Ross relying on his past military background/strategy during encounters. Pass on Incredible for now but pick up this one :thumb:
I've been impressed with Jeff Parker. I just can't get into any Hulk book though. I tried issues 25 and 26, I think to give it a shot, and I agree that the coloring was nice.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Tim wrote:Just read the latest issue of All-New Batman: Brave and the Bold (#13) today and next to Nick Spencer and R.B. Silva's Jimmy Olsen one-shot earlier this year, it's the best new comic book I've read all year.

The Phantom Stranger recruits Robins from all across history to help save Batman's life. EVERYBODY is here. Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, Damian Wayne and even Carrie Kelly (from The Dark Knight Returns) all represent. It's strange seeing Carrie and Damian in a DC Kids title, but the story is incredible and is probably the best Robin story ever. The story is about how the very different personalities of each Robin give them unique value to the mission at hand. Guest appearances by Ra's al Ghul and Madame Xanadu, too.

Whether you dig all ages stuff or not, if you're a Batman and Robin fan, a DC fan, or just a fan of good, fun classic comic book stories you owe it to yourself to check this out.
That sounds pretty cool. Thanks for putting it on my radar. Do you regularly read this book? Is it always good?
ASM Crossover Home

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

400yrs wrote:
Jersen wrote:
400yrs wrote:
Jersen wrote:I've been curious about Joe the Barbarian, what's the premise?

Quick summary - A boy goes into hypoglycemic shock at his home after school bullies steal his candy bar from him. The entire story is based on the hypo shock episode. It's an adventure story with the adventure consisting of 1.) getting a soda and 2.) flipping the breaker in his house.

I'd definitely recommend reading it. With that being said, if you've read I Kill Giants, you've read something fairly similar that is far superior to Joe the Barbarian. Giants was better in that the main character was humanized much more. In Joe, all we know is that the kid has diabetes, his dad doesn't live with him and his mom is about to lose their home. There's not much to make the reader care for the main character.

But it is a pretty sweet adventure story and the art by Sean Murphy is really awesome.

One cool bit - since it's Vertigo, the DC characters can appear in the book and they do in bits and pieces.
Cool, I have I Kill Giants and loved it! I'm also a Morrison fan, but never read any of his Vertigo/indie stuff, and this would be an easier snag than getting his Doom Patrol or Invisibles runs.

If you are a Morrison fan, you'll definitely like it. I don't usually care for his stuff, but this wasn't way over the top crazy.

If you end up wanting to track it down, give me a shout. I'd pass my copies on at the price I paid - a buck a book plus shipping. I'll end up putting them up on ebay eventually anyway.
Also gets my seal of approval! Beautiful and compelling tale that weaves fact and fiction together. Well worth a read.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

400yrs wrote:
Tim wrote:Just read the latest issue of All-New Batman: Brave and the Bold (#13) today and next to Nick Spencer and R.B. Silva's Jimmy Olsen one-shot earlier this year, it's the best new comic book I've read all year.

The Phantom Stranger recruits Robins from all across history to help save Batman's life. EVERYBODY is here. Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, Damian Wayne and even Carrie Kelly (from The Dark Knight Returns) all represent. It's strange seeing Carrie and Damian in a DC Kids title, but the story is incredible and is probably the best Robin story ever. The story is about how the very different personalities of each Robin give them unique value to the mission at hand. Guest appearances by Ra's al Ghul and Madame Xanadu, too.

Whether you dig all ages stuff or not, if you're a Batman and Robin fan, a DC fan, or just a fan of good, fun classic comic book stories you owe it to yourself to check this out.
That sounds pretty cool. Thanks for putting it on my radar. Do you regularly read this book? Is it always good?
I was tempted by this looked real cool after seeing some of the panels in recent picks of the week on ifanboy.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

400yrs wrote: That sounds pretty cool. Thanks for putting it on my radar. Do you regularly read this book? Is it always good?
I read it regularly. I think it's very good and of all definitely the most consistent of the all ages stuff I read on a regular basis, meaning Young Justice, Brave and the Bold, Marvel Age Spider-man, and Marvel Age Superheroes. Marvel Age Superheroes is sometimes very brilliant for a book aimed at younger people, but the creative teams switch around and as a title it's hit or miss. Brave and the Bold is always a lot of fun and it's interesting to see the guest stars. Mr. Miracle is going to be in the next issue which should be a lot of fun.

Bear in mind that these are meant for younger readers and they ain't exactly Watchmen, but that's exactly what I love about it. Good, fun, and done-in-one, you know? It's also fun to see such a light-hearted take on Batman without the camp of the TV show.

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

Tales of Suspense # 94

MODOK beeeotch!

That is all.

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

Drift wrote:Tales of Suspense # 94

MODOK beeeotch!

That is all.
Sweet silver age, love that cover :thumb:
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I'm reading a Elseworlds book, Batgirl and Supergirl. Not great, but ok.

I'm not sure what is next......

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chisumwomack »

Just finished the four Chew trades. Great book, I'm officially hooked.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

chisumwomack wrote:Just finished the four Chew trades. Great book, I'm officially hooked.
:banana:
ASM Crossover Home

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

chisumwomack wrote:Just finished the four Chew trades. Great book, I'm officially hooked.
I'm glad you enjoyed!
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Brother Darque wrote:picked up Defenders #1.

and after reading it i won't be picking up Defenders #2.
Opposite reaction for me. :)

Horses for courses I guess. :thumb:
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Mudman #1. This was good, but there wasn't enough in it to get me to come back.

I like the clean, simple art. The simplicity of the cover is brilliant. It's definitely a British comic. I'll probably look out for it in cheap bins.
ASM Crossover Home

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

I have a few Uncanny X force, so I decided to do something that I really never do..... read an uncompleted run.

I have 1, 2, 6-12.

I've read 1, 2, and 6. I can totally see what all the fuss is about. A really good read. I pretty much have no background knowledge on most of the characters, but I am still able to enjoy it.

One thing that can be frustrating is when I don't know what a characters powers are. I know wolvie and that about it.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

caxiotis wrote:read Luther Strode #3 today. Loving it. Reminds of early Invincible, except not as good natured.
I just read issue #1, it was very entertaining, I enjoyed it enough that I think I will try to get the next few issues. That's saying a lot from me, since I haven't been collecting new books actively for a while now.

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

Finally finished the entire run of X-Man. Warren Ellis and Steven Grant take it over with issue 63 and give the series a new direction. Naturally, we know that our Earth is #616. But, this new direction proposes that the higher up the number is, the more "perfect" of a world it is. And, further down, it gets worse. There are even Earths in very low numbers that cannot sustain human life. The problem comes when Qabiri (a super-powered villain from an Earth well above ours) embarks on a mission to destroy every Earth under his. And, that's where Nate Grey comes in - to protect our Eath ... and all the Earths. Neat concept.

Now I'm off to read Kill Shakespeare. So far, Hamlet has been exiled after the death of his father but, he's been rescued by King Richard. Richard has made him an offer: he will raise Hamlet's dead father if Hamlet kills a wizard and takes his magic quill. The wizard's name? William Shakespeare.

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Brother J wrote:
caxiotis wrote:read Luther Strode #3 today. Loving it. Reminds of early Invincible, except not as good natured.
I just read issue #1, it was very entertaining, I enjoyed it enough that I think I will try to get the next few issues. That's saying a lot from me, since I haven't been collecting new books actively for a while now.

I just re-read #1 and then read #2. Yeah, this book is pretty damn entertaining. The little bits like the back cover and such make a book like this worth it in singles.

The writer has said that the plan is for series of mini series. The next one is likely called "The Legend of Luther Strode".
ASM Crossover Home

caxiotis
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

400yrs wrote:
caxiotis wrote:Based on all of the good feedback from people on this board, I bought the entire Amazing Spider-Man - "Spider-Island" run and started reading it yesterday. I got to say that I am really enjoying it.

I normally have a hard time consistently reading spider-man, but Slott is doing a real good job. I may keep reading this series until Marvel jumps writers.

Cool! I don't know when you tried it last, but if you get the itch to go backwards:

- Slott started begin the sole writer at #648 (Big Time arc). It has been the same quality / vibe since then.
- It has really been terrific since Brand New Day. The only thing is that the revolving writers meant a bit of inconsistency.
Just finished spider island and I am very happy with this story arc. I will have to try pick up the earlier big time issues. Very excited :thumb:
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Jay Tomio wrote:Yesterday I started Jim Henson's Tale of Sand.
Henson has a comic? Is it old or is it something new that was laying around for 20 years? Who all is involved in it and what is it about?

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

xodacia81 wrote:
Henson has a comic? Is it old or is it something new that was laying around for 20 years? Who all is involved in it and what is it about?
it's an adaption of an unused screen play Jim Henson wrote in the late 60's. it doesn't feature muppets, it's from a period when jim henson did some experimental short films.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Brother Darque wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
it's an adaption of an unused screen play Jim Henson wrote in the late 60's. it doesn't feature muppets, it's from a period when jim henson did some experimental short films.
The only early, experimental film I've seen from Henson was Time Piece, which was quite odd. Saw that at the Museum of the Moving Image, in New York, back in September.

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

Rereading the New Universe and trying to read it in chronological order. Man it is a *SQUEE* to put in sequence. :!:
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

Jersen
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Jersen »

That's a little project I'm looking to get into down the line. Are the New Universe books very expensive to obtain for the most part?

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

I picked up a Gen 13 TPB (I think it is the first one) one the cheap. I'm at issue #3 I think. It's about what I expect.

Jersen

Post by Jersen »

There's only 3 reasons to "read" Gen 13, and that's to see big *SQUEE*, long legs, and tight *SQUEE*.