QR variant has hit $200+

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

JCVaughn
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Re: QR variant has hit $200+

Post by JCVaughn »

400yrs wrote:
JCVaughn wrote:Wow. I sincerely HATE to see the worst aspect of the original, post-Unity Valiant returning. Stupid (and I do mean genuinely and amazingly stupid) purchases of this issue for $200 will inevitably stick the purchaser with the issue, which will almost certainly never sell for such a price again. I would suspect that just about everyone here wishes the new Valiant well, but this is particularly lame since it appears to be lack of information that is driving the speculation. The market will sort this out, of course, but geez, it's as if we collectively learned nothing.
In my opinion, this is completely different from the nineties. Yes, the prices on the variants are high but the regular issue is available and affordable. People can read it cheaply. This was not the case in the nineties. People paying big bucks for these are likely collectors rather than speculators in the nineties and these are more likely to stay in permanent collections.
Since we don't have the complete information about how many copies there are and why so many stores didn't get them, they are speculators almost by definition.
J.C. VAUGHN
Vice-President of Publishing - Gemstone Publishing
The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

JCVaughn wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
JCVaughn wrote:Wow. I sincerely HATE to see the worst aspect of the original, post-Unity Valiant returning. Stupid (and I do mean genuinely and amazingly stupid) purchases of this issue for $200 will inevitably stick the purchaser with the issue, which will almost certainly never sell for such a price again. I would suspect that just about everyone here wishes the new Valiant well, but this is particularly lame since it appears to be lack of information that is driving the speculation. The market will sort this out, of course, but geez, it's as if we collectively learned nothing.
Agreed
And I guess I should add that I don't think the new Valiant is promoting this. A hunt for some level of variants is good for the collectors and the line. Huge, dumb prices that eventually crash are bad in the very near long term, and I think everyone at the new Valiant gets that (that's my impression of everyone I've met to date).
You are taking a little too much for granted, IMHO. There could literally be only 500 copies of the QR voice variant printed. $200 is not out of line for a book with this limited a run. If demand increases from here, meaning Valiant picks up readers, fans, and variant hunters, $200 won't look so bad.

Now if there are more that Valiant trickles out as promos or something, people who were "hasty" will have paid more than they needed to. But I cannot fault them for making sure they had their copy in hand. As collectors, we all take that chance from time to time.

What's important (to me, and hopefully to you) is that people are not paying more than cover price to *read* this issue this month.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

400yrs wrote:
In my opinion, this is completely different from the nineties. Yes, the prices on the variants are high but the regular issue is available and affordable. People can read it cheaply. This was not the case in the nineties. People paying big bucks for these are likely collectors rather than speculators in the nineties and these are more likely to stay in permanent collections.

I agree with this, mostly.

JCVaughn
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by JCVaughn »

ckb wrote:
JCVaughn wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Agreed
And I guess I should add that I don't think the new Valiant is promoting this. A hunt for some level of variants is good for the collectors and the line. Huge, dumb prices that eventually crash are bad in the very near long term, and I think everyone at the new Valiant gets that (that's my impression of everyone I've met to date).
You are taking a little too much for granted, IMHO. There could literally be only 500 copies of the QR voice variant printed. $200 is not out of line for a book with this limited a run. If demand increases from here, meaning Valiant picks up readers, fans, and variant hunters, $200 won't look so bad.

Now if there are more that Valiant trickles out as promos or something, people who were "hasty" will have paid more than they needed to. But I cannot fault them for making sure they had their copy in hand. As collectors, we all take that chance from time to time.

What's important (to me, and hopefully to you) is that people are not paying more than cover price to *read* this issue this month.
I'm not taking a little too much for granted. Hey, we Overstreet guys are notoriously cautious about offering our opinions. Even strongly held ones. :lol:
J.C. VAUGHN
Vice-President of Publishing - Gemstone Publishing
The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide

Spagg
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
QR variant has hit $200+

Post by Spagg »

I completely agree (though I am not crazy about variants to begin with as I am somewhat of a completist and don't have the cash to spend on this sort of thing)

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.

Post by GGSAE »

The price of this has come off with some BINs being listed (including one for $59.99 I clicked on but was sold right then) for sub $100. I think it was expected once people actually had these in their hands more, the first real wave of sellers would come out and the price would come down. I think Anywhere around $100 or less is a good buy, for those that have just been on the sidelines watching. Long-term there is potential for this to slowly creep up, but even if it doesn't $100, is a good backdrop so that you'll most likely be able to sell it for that (I don't expect many auction style listings to go for much less than $100)...unless you just don't want to get sucked into buying the other 1:50 variants I completely understand.

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

there's one for $89 BIN and a set of 4 covers for $125 BIN...

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

caniac wrote:there's one for $89 BIN and a set of 4 covers for $125 BIN...
Yessir, that's what I'm referring to! The guys that didn't panic and get caught in the $200+ euphoria have opportunities now to grab one if they choose. I wouldn't count $40-75 buys unless u get lucky with a BIN or find one at an LCS that hasn't realized the sales of the book - which reminds me I should do a run of those stores tomorrow, although i'm sure they're long gone.

SnotDrip
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: Magnus Robot Fighter #1

Post by SnotDrip »

GGSAE wrote:
Yessir, that's what I'm referring to! The guys that didn't panic and get caught in the $200+ euphoria have opportunities now to grab one if they choose. I wouldn't count $40-75 buys unless u get lucky with a BIN or find one at an LCS that hasn't realized the sales of the book - which reminds me I should do a run of those stores tomorrow, although i'm sure they're long gone.
:twisted:

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

SnotDrip wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
:twisted:
Well Christ, don't keep me in suspense...

cjv
A Valiant Vision-ary
A Valiant Vision-ary
Valiant fan since: Shadowman #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Shadowman (VH1)

Post by cjv »

Slowing down?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-16-Variant-X- ... 2570924684" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ($59.99)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-O-MANOWAR-New ... 2ebe13260a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ($61)

Maybe this will get DCBS to lower their insane prices now!

Chris

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

I've been watching the auctions looks like it is back down to 70-80 shipped for the moment.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

Aram wrote:I've been watching the auctions looks like it is back down to 70-80 shipped for the moment.
I suspect (for now, anyways) it's going to stay that way. It was a fun ride there for a minute, but I think many of the retailers have their copies now so it isn't appearing as rare (though I'm sure it is still a very low print run).

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

I can't wait to see auctions for CGC and signed versions.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

arghh!
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by arghh! »

etos45 wrote: It was a fun ride there for a minute, but I think many of the retailers have their copies now so it isn't appearing as rare (though I'm sure it is still a very low print run).
It "should" be as rare as the VVSS books that are in the $80 and up category (Timewalker, Psilords, Geomancer, EW). If you go off the 42k print run there should be like 800 of these tops. I would think if the line takes off the demand could be pretty high eventually going beyond the traditional Valiant fans.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

arghh! wrote:
etos45 wrote: It was a fun ride there for a minute, but I think many of the retailers have their copies now so it isn't appearing as rare (though I'm sure it is still a very low print run).
It "should" be as rare as the VVSS books that are in the $80 and up category (Timewalker, Psilords, Geomancer, EW). If you go off the 42k print run there should be like 800 of these tops. I would think if the line takes off the demand could be pretty high eventually going beyond the traditional Valiant fans.
Yeah, I think for now the prices will get a little more "normal", but I completely agree that if the line becomes popular this is going to be a valuable book.

caniac

Post by caniac »

I know I'm in the minority but I really don't care for the QR covers :tomato:

etos45

Post by etos45 »

caniac wrote:I know I'm in the minority but I really don't care for the QR covers :tomato:
I don't like the art on the covers, but I love the concept. I just think the QRs are the only things innovative enough with the new lines to warrant a 1:50.

Aram
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

caniac wrote:I know I'm in the minority but I really don't care for the QR covers :tomato:
I was right there also... Until I saw the pending toyo cover for harby. I've got high hopes for it not to suck. And for me not to have to pay over 50.. :hope:
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

tchalla8
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by tchalla8 »

Aram wrote:
I was right there also... Until I saw the pending toyo cover for harby. I've got high hopes for it not to suck. And for me not to have to pay over 50.. :hope:
I'm with you....not a big fan of the QR covers. I'm grateful they were the 1:50 and not the Aja cover. I love that cover.
Spooooon!!!!

caniac

Post by caniac »

I do want to say that the QR stuff is cool! But I don't need the variant to enjoy that and that's cool :thumb:

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

I just got another QR variant in the mail at work, even my co-worker thought the talking cover was cool.