What comics are you reading now?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
Re: What comics are you reading now?

Post by lorddunlow »

Caught up on some reading this weekend, since I wasn't too busy.

Read all of the Valiant for the month - I commented in each books individual thread in the Valiant section.

Revival #12 - Boy, this is a great series. I think there was a big reveal to the nature of the ghost things, but I didn't go back to verify what I thought was shown. This is such a good book. Just found out there will be a HC - I'll be getting that for sure! (So far, I'm only reading this one digitally, as I wasn't initially all that impressed). I think I'll just continue with digital monthlies and collect the HC since I missed the first issues. The Skottie Young cover was awesome as well - maybe he'll cool down in popularity some day and I can get a commission from him. He'd be fun to get a VEI flipbook sketch commission!

Avengers #16 - I'm really enjoying both of Hickman's Avengers books. Nick Spencer taking over while Hickman writes Infinity has flowed very seamlessly - of course Hickman is listed as co-writer. I was glad to see Nightmask and Starbrand show up again. Things really start to feel like they are falling into place.

As a Marvel noob, however, I'm constantly wondering what I'm supposed to already know and what it unknown to all. For instance, I don't quite understand the Captain Universe character. Is this an existing marvel character. Is she literally the will of the universe made flesh? Very odd, but very interesting character.

I'm awaiting the New Avengers #8 but it's not on Comixology or the stores despite being in my Comixology pull list email 2 weeks ago. It must have gotten delayed.

Chew #35 - the bedroom gag never gets old. Completely gross, but always funny. Love this series so much. I really enjoy the story being told, but I honestly would still read it if it had absolutely no cohesive plot. It's just so funny and perfectly suited to my sense of humor.

Age of Ultron - picked up the whole series. It's not bad. I wouldn't exactly call it good either. Could have accomplished the same thing with 3 books (Books 1-8 condensed into one followed by 9 and 10). For all of the hype, it was very underwhelming, although everyone's negative comments dulled the sting. Absolutely no payoff. It was a fun read, and I think it will play a part in Infinity and the Avengers books (Avengers/New Avengers).

I have a theory that would tie the Age of Ultron/Avengers/New Avengers together: I think maybe the breaking of the space-time continuum in AoU caused the "systems" of the Superflow to malfunction causing the multiple universes collapsing and converging in New Avengers. I also think they would miss a great opportunity if they don't work Angela into the Black Swans somehow.

I apologize for the heavy Marvel love, but I'm really enjoying the Avengers stuff right now. The Black Swan is especially a current favorite of mine.

Nothing else jumped out that I read. Stalled out on Invincible halfway through #10 (something happened and I never went back to it), but I'm very anxious to get caught up with this.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Zaphod
Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 - Armstrong
Favorite title: VEI - Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Zaphod »

lorddunlow wrote:Avengers #16 - I'm really enjoying both of Hickman's Avengers books. Nick Spencer taking over while Hickman writes Infinity has flowed very seamlessly - of course Hickman is listed as co-writer. I was glad to see Nightmask and Starbrand show up again. Things really start to feel like they are falling into place.

As a Marvel noob, however, I'm constantly wondering what I'm supposed to already know and what it unknown to all. For instance, I don't quite understand the Captain Universe character. Is this an existing marvel character. Is she literally the will of the universe made flesh? Very odd, but very interesting character.

I have a theory that would tie the Age of Ultron/Avengers/New Avengers together: I think maybe the breaking of the space-time continuum in AoU caused the "systems" of the Superflow to malfunction causing the multiple universes collapsing and converging in New Avengers. I also think they would miss a great opportunity if they don't work Angela into the Black Swans somehow.
I am also really enjoying Hickmans books right now. Captain Universe has been around for awhile, generally a character has taken on the Captain Universe mantle for a short period of time to deal with a crisis. Spiderman became CU in the late 80's or early 90's. It was sort of used as a gimmick. I don't know about this new incarnation, I have been out of the monthly pamphlets since the mid 90's until Valiant returned.

I like your theory about AoU and the Superflow, it makes a lot of sense. There are currently too man Avengers titles though that share characters. With as many Avengers as there are, they could easily utilize a unique roster.
What we need is innovation and even revolution—but not so much in the form of marketing ploys and doohickeys. What is needed is bold creative vision, excellent stories, and brilliant storytelling, in a word, entertainment. -- Jim Shooter

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

Brother Darque wrote:i picked up issue #0 of Dark Horse's Captain Midnight.

it's great, can't wait for more!
Anybody planning on picking up Fred Van Lente's "Brain Boy" from Dark Horse in September?

I'm really enjoying his Archer & Armstrong, so I'd thought that I'd give this a try.

I've pre-ordered it.
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

The Hawkeye annual was an excellent Kate story.

I picked up Ghosted from image because I was in the mood for something new. I went in not expecting much, but I liked it a lot.

Has anyone tried Lazarus?
ASM Crossover Home

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Comixology informs me that I have no comics for tomorrow. This is the first time this has happened since I started a pull list with LCS when X-O #1 came out. I feel empty. I guess I'll catch up on Invincible a bit this week.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Big Red wrote:
Brother Darque wrote:i picked up issue #0 of Dark Horse's Captain Midnight.

it's great, can't wait for more!
Anybody planning on picking up Fred Van Lente's "Brain Boy" from Dark Horse in September?

I'm really enjoying his Archer & Armstrong, so I'd thought that I'd give this a try.

I've pre-ordered it.
I pre-ordered it too. I like the old Brain Boy stories well enough and Van Lente is a fun writer when he is not insulting me for being a midwestern, right-wing Christian.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

I just read a real interesting Elseworlds mini

The Doom that Came to Gotham by Mignola. It's a Hellboy story staring Batman.
It was real interesting with a crazy end. I just love the feel of Mignola books, he sets a great mood. I usually like elseworld books and this mini is in the top group of them.

I've Been looking for it for awhile and just got it at SDCC. They are also signed by Mignola and Troy Nixey.

Big Red
Valiant fan since: Before the Anni-Padda...
Favorite character: Divinity, X-O, & Bloodshot
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Big Red »

Chiclo wrote:
Van Lente is a fun writer when he is not insulting me for being a midwestern, right-wing Christian.
I hear ya! I'm a southern, right-wing Christian...
Favorite books: Black Hammer, Bloodshot, Divinity, Justice League Dark, Marvel Two-In-One, Thor.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Big Red wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
Van Lente is a fun writer when he is not insulting me for being a midwestern, right-wing Christian.

:offtopic: :rant:

Given how stupid things many right-wing Christians say on TV and do in government, I say you deseve to be made fun of. Sorry but it's how I feel.

:offtopic: :rant:

Anyway back on topic. StormWatch #20 an OK if somewhat confusing issue because of the characters I'm not familar with I know only Hellstrike, Apollo, Midnighter, and Lobo. The rest are characters I have no knowledge of.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

So I just couldn't make it a week without at least one book to read, so I got Guardians of the Galaxy #5 digitally since it ties in with the Infinity thing that the Avengers books will be crossing over with, so I took the plunge.

It wasn't bad. It wasn't great either. Angela doesn't really seem like Angela from Spawn. She doesn't really even look a lot like Angela. If I wasn't told she was Angela, and she didn't have the characteristic Angela costume (sans Hellspawn earrings), I wouldn't know she was Angela.

Thanos appears in the last panel, so that was a plus.

I'm with greg. The raccoon is weird. People like him?

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

lorddunlow wrote:So I just couldn't make it a week without at least one book to read, so I got Guardians of the Galaxy #5 digitally since it ties in with the Infinity thing that the Avengers books will be crossing over with, so I took the plunge.

It wasn't bad. It wasn't great either. Angela doesn't really seem like Angela from Spawn. She doesn't really even look a lot like Angela. If I wasn't told she was Angela, and she didn't have the characteristic Angela costume (sans Hellspawn earrings), I wouldn't know she was Angela.

Thanos appears in the last panel, so that was a plus.

People love furry animals.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Zaphod
Favorite character: VH1 - Armstrong
Favorite title: VEI - Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Zaphod »

Uncanny X-Men #9 - I am enjoying the title, it's progressing slowly but organically. Alison Blair: Agent of Shield is an interesting concept, I am not sure how that is going to play out. or even if after this issue.

Indestructible Hulk #11 - I really enjoy what Waid is doing on this title, as this is a nice bridge between the events of AoU and Infinity it is a good bit of hypothesizing the over-all scope of the "tear in time" and just how Hulk is going to fix it. I haven't read any of Red She-Hulk, I believe it has been cancelled but I've always been a fan of the Bruce-Betty story so to see it slip into the narrative is something I am very into.

X-Men #3 - kinda felt like a "meh" ending to what started off like gang-busters. Of course it probably means the story "isn't over" but I'm still on board with this title, though I am not seeing how it being an "all female" X-team is anything all that interesting nor progressive.

Uncanny X-Force #9 - I really enjoy the relationship between Betsy - Phantomex - Cluster - Weapon III. It is complex and in many ways heart breaking. I have to admit the end of their story has me kinda confused, might have to revisit this arc. New arc starting next issue with Bishop's future coming back to cause a mess. I'm still on board.
What we need is innovation and even revolution—but not so much in the form of marketing ploys and doohickeys. What is needed is bold creative vision, excellent stories, and brilliant storytelling, in a word, entertainment. -- Jim Shooter

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Cyberstrike wrote:Anyway back on topic. StormWatch #20 an OK if somewhat confusing issue because of the characters I'm not familar with I know only Hellstrike, Apollo, Midnighter, and Lobo. The rest are characters I have no knowledge of.
Starlin on DC in the last several years seems to be re-hashing some of his greatest hits. His run on Death of the New Gods featured a lot of the same notes as his 70s Warlock stuff. Rann/Thanagar Holy War was Dreadstar, even to the point of basically featuring the Papal. Adventures in Space was Warlock and the Infinity Watch.

Starlin is again visiting his 70s Warlock run, this time casting Lobo as Warlock and the Kollective as the In-Betweener. The members of Stormwatch are basically background characters in their own title. I am sure that grifter78 is hating this.

Uncle Yusuf
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013 reading Rob Venditti
Favorite character: Aric of Dacia
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by Uncle Yusuf »

Big Red wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
I've read every issue of the current Archer and Armstrong comic book series and while I can see he does poke fun at the stereotypes often made of mid-western right-wing Christians, he hasn't made fun of the Christian religion itself. In fact, one of the best scenes in the comic book is when Aram questions and mocks Sister Tommy's devotion to her belief in God, which (understandably) angers Archer. Sister Tommy's response is pitch-perfect. To paraphrase, she says that her faith is not so weak that it would crumble under the criticism of those who don't share her belief. Even as a Muslim, I was impressed by Van Lente's ability to write such a profound piece of religious dialogue coming from the mouth of a devout Catholic nun. I was quite moved.

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Lost Dogs by Jeff Lemire.

Underwater Welder didn't do much for me. Neither did The Nobody. Lost Dogs was his first work and it's no Essex County, but it is still a good, quick read.
ASM Crossover Home

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

lorddunlow wrote:
The original Rocket Raccoon mini-series is one of the first comics I ever read. I loved it! I still have fond memories of it. That being said I've never read the new Guardians of the Galaxy.

Uncle Yusuf wrote: In fact, one of the best scenes in the comic book is when Aram questions and mocks Sister Tommy's devotion to her belief in God, which (understandably) angers Archer. Sister Tommy's response is pitch-perfect. To paraphrase, she says that her faith is not so weak that it would crumble under the criticism of those who don't share her belief.
Couldn't agree more. Such a profound moment. I wondered if FVL had read some of the board criticisms of the book. :)

As for what I've been reading:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - Miyazaki - I'm half way through and it will likely be one of my all time favorite graphic novels. It's such an epic story on the level of LOTR.

Michel Fiffe's Copra - self published superhero book that is really fantastic. Love this guys artwork, layout and overall use of the media. In therms of paper stock and print quality, I don't know that there is a better book out there.

I picked up Michael DeForge's Lose because I've heard a lot about it. I love his artwork and layouts but I can't get into the stories as much. It's interesting stuff but not fantastic.
Multum In Parvo

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

Just finished reading Q&W and Shadowman for this month. I posted in their respective threads.

Also read Manhattan Projects #13. I thought it was starting to slip a little, but this issue was awesome. Still #1 on my pull list.

Read Avengers #17 and now I'm really excited to see what Infinity brings. I actually think Marvel may be making some big changes with this event (unlike other events). I really have a feeling the New Universe characters are going to supplant the Ultimates universe. At least that's my prediction. I really think they may be completely relaunching that line.

Burrito Boy
Favorite character: Gunny Lewis
Favorite title: Armorines
Favorite writer: Jorge Gonzalez

Post by Burrito Boy »

lorddunlow wrote:Just finished reading Q&W and Shadowman for this month. I posted in their respective threads.

Also read Manhattan Projects #13. I thought it was starting to slip a little, but this issue was awesome. Still #1 on my pull list.

Read Avengers #17 and now I'm really excited to see what Infinity brings. I actually think Marvel may be making some big changes with this event (unlike other events). I really have a feeling the New Universe characters are going to supplant the Ultimates universe. At least that's my prediction. I really think they may be completely relaunching that line.
I might actually buy Marvel comics if the New Universe is relaunched.

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Burrito Boy wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:Just finished reading Q&W and Shadowman for this month. I posted in their respective threads.

+1... and they're on sale... or trade.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

I'm not following Marvel (although I picked up a couple volumes of Waid's Daredevil from the library and it is very good) but can someone give me the skinny on the new universe? What's going on? Or is there another thread for this?
Multum In Parvo

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

400yrs wrote:
Lazarus is worth checking out. Rucka seems to be building an intriguing storyline.

First issue was good (Not "great," but good enough for me to keep up with the series), second issue was far better.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Chiclo wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:Anyway back on topic. StormWatch #20 an OK if somewhat confusing issue because of the characters I'm not familar with I know only Hellstrike, Apollo, Midnighter, and Lobo. The rest are characters I have no knowledge of.
Starlin on DC in the last several years seems to be re-hashing some of his greatest hits. His run on Death of the New Gods featured a lot of the same notes as his 70s Warlock stuff. Rann/Thanagar Holy War was Dreadstar, even to the point of basically featuring the Papal. Adventures in Space was Warlock and the Infinity Watch.

Starlin is again visiting his 70s Warlock run, this time casting Lobo as Warlock and the Kollective as the In-Betweener. The members of Stormwatch are basically background characters in their own title. I am sure that grifter78 is hating this.

Starlin's work at DC throughout the years has been hit-and-miss because I don't think he's ever found the character or characters that he can work with. Starlin admitted in The Art of Jim Starlin that all of his success at Marvel all had one thing in common: Thanos. It wasn't planned that way it just sort of happened. It also helped that he found other characters that no one else could figure out what to do with like Captian Marvel and Adam Warlock and he created the rest of the characters that he needed like Drax and Pip.

I don't think unless he's writing a Batman story like Night of the Beast (I think that is the name, it's the one that introduced the KGBeast), The Cult, and the (in)famous A Death in The Family he's never really had the same level of success that he's had at Marvel. The rest of his work in the DCU has always been kind of meh. I have almost no desire to read any of the work he's done for them that you mention even though I've known about them for sometime. I think he's the last chance that any Wildstorm character or team is going have as a title in the New 52. I mean DC has canceled all the other Wildstorm charcaters and teams Grifter, Vodoo, and Team 7 have all bit the dust. I think if he can make go up to #32 (which will put it in Year 3 of the New 52) it'll be a miracle.

The Dirt Gang

Post by The Dirt Gang »

2 comics I can't recommend enough -

I'm still reading Miyazaki's Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind but it's definitely one of the top comics I've ever read. A fantastic story and truly epic in feel. While it's totally different, it feels like Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones. Different genre but similar type of story and wonderful world building.

I also just finished Matt Kindt's Super Spy. The non-linear story can be slightly confusing compounded by the fact that while I love his art, I find that his characters look a lot a like. It's a great story and with fantastic art. Some of his layouts and sequences are some of the best I've ever scene.

Check 'em out!
Multum In Parvo

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Savant wrote:
400yrs wrote:
Lazarus is worth checking out. Rucka seems to be building an intriguing storyline.

First issue was good (Not "great," but good enough for me to keep up with the series), second issue was far better.
I was very impressed by this title from the start. Really a big fan of the 'hard sci-fi' edge to it. All the background research Rucka has done to extrapolate his fiction from real science is really compelling to me, and so far I also like the world building going on. :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Keith wrote:
Burrito Boy wrote:

+1... and they're on sale... or trade.
The issues of Avengers to date containing appearances from New U characters have all been pretty good so far, even though they aren't the same versions from either the original NU or the New Universal series. I was only underwhelmed by #16.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;