The Valiant Kindle Worlds Novels :)

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Baramos
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
The Valiant Kindle Worlds Novels :)

Post by Baramos »

Man, these look bad.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ds+valiant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leave it to Amazon to try and monetize fanfiction.net. Any clue as to the quality control of these? I've noticed some are supposedly written by actual comics writers, and there is supposedly some attempt at continuity, but what with the one X-O Manowar one involving time travel I have the feeling it has to be pretty loose in its attempt at continuity.

DrSoup007
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2012
Re: The Valiant Kindle Worlds Novels :)

Post by DrSoup007 »

Obviously Amazon is doing a terrible job a keeping track of Valiants Terms of Agreement, because I promise you if you read those books it breaks all of the rules.
"Having trouble coming up with a signature because my last one really sucked..."

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

I just can't bring myself to read fan fiction. I'm sure there's one or two stories in there that might be 'decent', but I don't have the time to wade through them. I'd rather spend my time reading actual Valiant.

Kudos to anyone who has had the energy and determination to put one of these out, though!

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

I have purchased 3, but have only read one thus far:

A&A: A Dagger through Time by Robert Roddi
XO: Naughts & Crosses by Stuart Moore
Harbinger: Slow Burn by Jason Starr

Dagger though Time was a nice short story that I could easily see fitting into A&A. I just started Naughts and Crosses and so far it is OK, but is more of a novella and doesn't seem like it will fit XO continuity very well. Slow Burn was one being heavily promoted by VEI on twitter and Facebook, so I hope its decent.

All three are writers who have worked I the comic industry previously. I would stay away from any of the books that have rediculous plot summaries or are by unknown writers.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

DrSoup007

Post by DrSoup007 »

Yeah, 63% of fan-fictions are bad. My cousin showed me one of the fan-fiction publishing websites and I was literally drowning in One Direction Love Story Fan-Fictions.
"Having trouble coming up with a signature because my last one really sucked..."

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

DrSoup007 wrote:Yeah, 63% of fan-fictions are bad. My cousin showed me one of the fan-fiction publishing websites and I was literally drowning in One Direction Love Story Fan-Fictions.
What's the name of that site?

It's for a friend... Yeah...
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

lorddunlow wrote:
DrSoup007 wrote:Yeah, 63% of fan-fictions are bad. My cousin showed me one of the fan-fiction publishing websites and I was literally drowning in One Direction Love Story Fan-Fictions.

I don't know about that link, but I came across this today and thought of you: http://www.meetup.com/CTbronies/ :thumb:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

BugsySig wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

I don't know about that link, but I came across this today and thought of you: http://www.meetup.com/CTbronies/ :thumb:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

Ordinarily, I despise fan fiction. Most people don't know how to spell, let alone craft a plot and fully develop characters. That includes some comic writers. facepalm

The titles of some the Valiant fan fiction do sound terribly cheesy. I've actually decided to throw my hat into the ring. I plan on sticking to continuity and the characterizations as already developed by Valiant. In my defense, I am a "professional" writer. You may have read something I've written online and not even had known it. 8-)

It's much easier to create your own characters and build from scratch, so writing a decent fan fiction is a bit of a challenge. I'll let you know when it's available. I'm hoping that it might lead to bigger and better things. :hope:

Even Dysart started off writing fan fic/roleplay. Anything is possible. :D
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

pixierosa wrote:Ordinarily, I despise fan fiction. Most people don't know how to spell, let alone craft a plot and fully develop characters. That includes some comic writers. facepalm

The titles of some the Valiant fan fiction do sound terribly cheesy. I've actually decided to throw my hat into the ring. I plan on sticking to continuity and the characterizations as already developed by Valiant. In my defense, I am a "professional" writer. You may have read something I've written online and not even had known it. 8-)

It's much easier to create your own characters and build from scratch, so writing a decent fan fiction is a bit of a challenge. I'll let you know when it's available. I'm hoping that it might lead to bigger and better things. :hope:

Even Dysart started off writing fan fic/roleplay. Anything is possible. :D
Go Pixie!! :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DrSoup007

Post by DrSoup007 »

lorddunlow wrote:

Quotev.com

You have been warned

Baramos

Post by Baramos »

Well the thing with Kindle Worlds is there is some attempt at quality control as far as grammar and such go, making it different from fanfiction.net, but the previews for all of these read like those novels you buy at the dollar store. Very workmanlike in their prose and with basic storylines. Sometimes I like that kind of thing, though. It depends on my mood.

iwantvaliant
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by iwantvaliant »

I've read one. It was okay. I'd like to read more, but I can't justify spending money on them. It would be really cool if they collected these in a book someday.
My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/

Jonathan Janz
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot #1
Favorite writer: Duane Swiercynski
Favorite artist: Garcia and Lozzi

Post by Jonathan Janz »

Howdy, everyone! I was commissioned to write a Kindle Worlds novel this summer. It's called BLOODSHOT: KINGDOM OF SHADOWS, and the link to it is pasted below. I really had a great time with it and would like for you all to check it out. I've gotten some feedback on it, mostly positive with some helpful suggestions mixed in. I love the character and would truly enjoy continuing the Bloodshot storyline I began.

http://www.amazon.com/Bloodshot-Kingdom ... 04&sr=1-11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, carry on. I'm sorry to barge in on your thread, but I figured this was relevant enough to mention. :thumb: