September 2014 Sales Discussion

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI
Re: September 2014 Sales Discussion

Post by ilzuccone »

Keith wrote:As a fan of the original Quantum & Woody, I'm glad that we get this resolution of sorts to the original series. And having just read it, I enjoyed the heck out of it. If I recall rightly, neither Priest nor Bright are active in comics these days, but that story was just fun from word go. They have not missed a beat, and this is definitely Priest's Woody, and not Asmus' Woody.

I know many are poo-poo'ing this title on principle, but, still, I hope everyone gives it a chance.
Is q2 a continuation of the original run? Should i wait to read the omnibus first?

Ramses818
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: X-O Manowar 14
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-o but maybe soon to be Rai
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by Ramses818 »

ilzuccone wrote:
Keith wrote:As a fan of the original Quantum & Woody, I'm glad that we get this resolution of sorts to the original series. And having just read it, I enjoyed the heck out of it. If I recall rightly, neither Priest nor Bright are active in comics these days, but that story was just fun from word go. They have not missed a beat, and this is definitely Priest's Woody, and not Asmus' Woody.

I know many are poo-poo'ing this title on principle, but, still, I hope everyone gives it a chance.
Is q2 a continuation of the original run? Should i wait to read the omnibus first?
Yes it is. As for waiting? I do not think it is required but it would make your reading experience better than just reading the recaps.

Keith
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Ramses818 wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:

Yes it is. As for waiting? I do not think it is required but it would make your reading experience better than just reading the recaps.
Agreed. They do a bit of a basic recap, so going in fresh won't be a detriment, however.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Keith

Post by Keith »

Nothing Valiant related in the linked article below, but still an interesting perspective on September '14 sales for the market overall:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=56367" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SnotDrip
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: Magnus Robot Fighter #1

Post by SnotDrip »

Keith wrote:Nothing Valiant related in the linked article below, but still an interesting perspective on September '14 sales for the market overall:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=56367" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A good read Keith so thanks for posting it...
:thumb:

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa

Post by The Chosen 1 »

Im glad its not just me that is a little concerned about VEI's market share decreasing. I obviously dont know the inner workings of the company, and Dinesh has said they are ahead of expectations, which is great.

I'd hate to see another false start. This universe is too good to fizzle out. If the movie news is true, that could increase readership and interest and hopefully we see Valiant become the No 3 it is meant to be.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

What principle? The I-don't-care-if-it-is-a-good-comic juest because it is associated with Acclaim principle?

Keith

Post by Keith »

erwinrafael wrote:

What principle? The I-don't-care-if-it-is-a-good-comic juest because it is associated with Acclaim principle?
I guess that one, too, but there is also a general Q&W disdain out there as well.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Keith wrote:
erwinrafael wrote:

I guess that one, too, but there is also a general Q&W disdain out there as well.
For some maybe, but for others we may be more discerning in our disdain. ;)

For me it is not the concept of Quantum and Woody that is problematic, it has been the core VEI execution, and particularly Asmus' writing and plotting and the artistic nadir that was Ming Doyle's tenure, sorry to say.

Q2 I am totally open for. :)
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Keith

Post by Keith »

leonmallett wrote:
Keith wrote:
erwinrafael wrote:

For me it is not the concept of Quantum and Woody that is problematic, it has been the core VEI execution, and particularly Asmus' writing and plotting and the artistic nadir that was Ming Doyle's tenure, sorry to say.

I can't help but agree on the Doyle art. Ugh.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Keith wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
Keith wrote:
erwinrafael wrote:

In VEI's defense, Doyle was a fill in artist for the arc. It was originally solicited as Lee Garbett on art but he got an ongoing series gig at Marvel.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Keith

Post by Keith »

BugsySig wrote:
Keith wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
Keith wrote:
erwinrafael wrote:

In VEI's defense, Doyle was a fill in artist for the arc. It was originally solicited as Lee Garbett on art but he got an ongoing series gig at Marvel.
True enough, but I remember the big announcement and hub-bub surround Doyle drawing the arc. It was treated like a coup that Valiant had secured this upcoming indie talent to draw Q&W for this arc. For me, I had no clue who she was and anticipated being blown away. Instead, we got potato car.

Still, hoping that those peeps put off by potato car will give Q2 a chance.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

To Ming's defense, Jack Kirby's art couldn't save that turd of a book.

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Tim wrote:To Ming's defense, Jack Kirby's art couldn't save that turd of a book.
I would argue that Ming Doyle is no Jack Kirby though. :)
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month