Forgotten comic that deserves more love

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

newt138
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Forgotten comic that deserves more love

Post by newt138 »

I am sure we all got one. A comic that you never hear anyone talk about. But you think more people should know about.

Mine is YEAH!. This late 90s series,starting in late 99 and ending in early 2000,is written by Peter "HATE" Bagge. And has Gilbert "Love and ROckets" Hernandez doing the pencils.

Published by DC through their Homage line,I only picked up the first issue because Peter Bagge was writing it. I had been a fan of his since Neat Stuff and wondered what an all ages comic from Mr Bagge would be like.

Mr Bagge has said in interviews it was inspired by the uber popularity of the SPice girls. Yeah is about a 3 woman rock band.On Earth they are unknown and broke. But all through out the universe they are the biggest and most popular band out there.

Sadly it only lasted 9 issues. The comic shop I was going to at the time would order 3 copies of each issue. One for me,one for the owner and one for the shelf. Each month the one copy on the shelf would just sit there.

Now the back issues are not hard to find. And are usually cheap. There is a trade reprinting all 9 issues that in 2011 Fantagraphic published. There is 2 minor drawbacks to the trade.

1.It reprints all 9 issues in b/w. Because of my partial color blindness this would normally not bother me. But I loved the colors in the original issues.
2.It doesn't reprint the letters page. Yeah I know most trades don't do that. But with Yeah the letters page was so well done. Each letter was answered by the band's manager. And they added something special to each issue.

So I ask my fellow Valiant fans,What is a forgotten comic that you think deserves more love?

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Forgotten comic that deserves more love

Post by nycjadie »

A few come to mind.

I'm a huge fan of Hate. What a great book. Could be that I grew up in Seattle and worked for Sub Pop, but it really spoke to me.

Hard Boiled. Darrow and Miller. Awesome.

Will Eisner graphic novels. A Contract With God was amazing, but there were a few others. They are still periodically in print, which is amazing.

Some of the Kindt work has been largely overlooked, but it's gotten more attention as he has done more mainstream work.

Thomas
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda

Post by Thomas »

Paperinik New Adventures(PKNA) is really underappreciated. It was a great run about Donald Ducks alter ego Paperinik/Phantomias. Set in a Scifi universe in which he fights aliens and super villains. Sadly they only translated 17 of the 52 issues into german. They just recently done a reprint of some of the storys, I hope it continues. There is also the relaunch PK2 and the sequel PKpika.
Last edited by Thomas on Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:09:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beware Cyclops
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by Beware Cyclops »

:hm: There was one.... but I've forgotten. facepalm

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

Adolescent Radioactive Blackbelt Hamsters

:lol:

Honorable mention: Boris the Bear
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Tom Peyer's Hourman. One of my favorite series of all time. One of the best offereings of late 90's to early 00's DC Comics (which people often forget was a amazing era in it's own right).

jeremycoe
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
I like spidey-butt and I can not lie
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody (Acclaim)

Post by jeremycoe »

Leave it to Chance - a great little book.
Alone, listless, breakfast table in an otherwise empty room.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

"Rose" by Jeff Smith & Charles Vess. It's the "prequel" to Bone.

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

Thomas
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Padda

Post by Thomas »

Smoke City by Mathieu Marionelle and Benjamin Carré.
An insteresting mix between Ocean's Eleven, Noir and the supernatural.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children. Each issue was more of a short story with accompanying artwork. Usually prose on one page and a picture on the opposing page. The first one I ever read was about Death (grim reaper type, not Sandman's sister) takes a day off from taking lives and visits an old man. Death just wants to hang out and enjoy the wonders of the living world. The old man just wants to die, but Death won't take him.

Captain Confederacy. Set in an alternate world where the Confederacy won the Civil War. Captain Confederacy is a super hero used as a propaganda tool by the Confederate States. But he eventually joins a rebellion against his country. I loved how it handled the politics and racial issues of this alternate world. The letters pages were fantastic with much deeper discussion into the global ramifications of a different outcome to the civil war.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

kjjohanson
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Now I bet you're all going to want me to drag it out and show you.
Valiant fan since: Magnus #1
Favorite character: Anon-Lurker
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente

Post by kjjohanson »

Heath wrote:Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children. Each issue was more of a short story with accompanying artwork. Usually prose on one page and a picture on the opposing page. The first one I ever read was about Death (grim reaper type, not Sandman's sister) takes a day off from taking lives and visits an old man. Death just wants to hang out and enjoy the wonders of the living world. The old man just wants to die, but Death won't take him.

Captain Confederacy. Set in an alternate world where the Confederacy won the Civil War. Captain Confederacy is a super hero used as a propaganda tool by the Confederate States. But he eventually joins a rebellion against his country. I loved how it handled the politics and racial issues of this alternate world. The letters pages were fantastic with much deeper discussion into the global ramifications of a different outcome to the civil war.
I remember that. Piranha was sort of proto-Vertigo. I believe the first issue of BSFUC was the "Deadjohnson's Big incredible Day" or something like that, which was like a children's book about a family's day out, onyl the illustrations all featured dead bodies lying around these activities.
If you're not a *SQUEE*, you're okay with me.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

The Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Wiindows by Cult Press was an anthology type book from the 90's that I thought had some interesting stories at the time.
***Support your local farmers!***

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

All New Atom.

I read this back in high school, found it very enjoyable.

Captain Craig
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

Martian Manhunter, DC 90's by Ostrander, ran for some 30+ issues.

Sludge, Malibu/Ultraverse(now owned by Marvel), 90's, 12 issues. I really like these monster characters. Gerber also did Man-Thing.

Deathlok, 90s series, 30+ issues, this is ripe for turning into an Omnibus what with AoS TV show, new ongoing.

Aquaman(vol.4), '00s, from issue #15-39. The first 12 issues are two 6issue arcs introducing a new foe called Thirst that drug on and about collapsed the book at the onset. DC changed creative teams, had a few fill ins, and from #15-39 the book was once again showcasing Arthur in a strong light. I think it's often overlooked for multiple reasons. The bad start, the title change at 40 cause of editorial fiat with DC's "One Year Later" event(sound familiar? 5yrs later event they just did). Busiek did what he could for the next 18 issues as it was called 'Sword of Atlantis' but the title wasn't our Arthur. Then of course it's sandwhiched between the much loved Peter David 90's run and the start of the nu52 run. But issues #15-39 are good reads and not likely to ever be collected....hit the $1 bins kids.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Captain Craig wrote:Martian Manhunter, DC 90's by Ostrander, ran for some 30+ issues.

Sludge, Malibu/Ultraverse(now owned by Marvel), 90's, 12 issues. I really like these monster characters. Gerber also did Man-Thing.

Deathlok, 90s series, 30+ issues, this is ripe for turning into an Omnibus what with AoS TV show, new ongoing.

Aquaman(vol.4), '00s, from issue #15-39. The first 12 issues are two 6issue arcs introducing a new foe called Thirst that drug on and about collapsed the book at the onset. DC changed creative teams, had a few fill ins, and from #15-39 the book was once again showcasing Arthur in a strong light. I think it's often overlooked for multiple reasons. The bad start, the title change at 40 cause of editorial fiat with DC's "One Year Later" event(sound familiar? 5yrs later event they just did). Busiek did what he could for the next 18 issues as it was called 'Sword of Atlantis' but the title wasn't our Arthur. Then of course it's sandwhiched between the much loved Peter David 90's run and the start of the nu52 run. But issues #15-39 are good reads and not likely to ever be collected....hit the $1 bins kids.
I've never read Sludge, but the other three are top notch. :thumb:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Tim wrote:
Captain Craig wrote:Martian Manhunter, DC 90's by Ostrander, ran for some 30+ issues.

I've never read Sludge, but the other three are top notch. :thumb:
Sludge was pretty good and introduced Malibu's best villain, Lord Pumpkin.

Heath
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Chiclo wrote:Sludge was pretty good and introduced Malibu's best villain, Lord Pumpkin.
Sounds tasty!
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Captain Craig wrote:Aquaman(vol.4), '00s, from issue #15-39. The first 12 issues are two 6issue arcs introducing a new foe called Thirst that drug on and about collapsed the book at the onset. DC changed creative teams, had a few fill ins, and from #15-39 the book was once again showcasing Arthur in a strong light. I think it's often overlooked for multiple reasons. The bad start, the title change at 40 cause of editorial fiat with DC's "One Year Later" event(sound familiar? 5yrs later event they just did). Busiek did what he could for the next 18 issues as it was called 'Sword of Atlantis' but the title wasn't our Arthur. Then of course it's sandwhiched between the much loved Peter David 90's run and the start of the nu52 run. But issues #15-39 are good reads and not likely to ever be collected....hit the $1 bins kids.
I read that series it was stupid.
First they turned Aquaman into exile from Atlantis and the oceans where he lives in rivers and fresh water lakes looking for the Lady of the Lake and he gets his cool cybernetic hand/harpoon turned into a stupid looking hand made out of magic water (and I'm not making that up) that no one knew what the powers could do.

Then a chunk of San Diego sinks the Pacific Ocean in an earthquake and somehow those who survive the quake can now live underwater and can't return to land because they'll die. He becomes the protector of Sub Diego with Aqualad/Tempest as his sidekick again. Basically he's underwater Batman. Which was equally stupid.

The Peter David Aquaman series is still the best version of the character to date. Because Peter David did the impossible he made Aquaman cooler than Batman and Superman combined and created a rich legacy and history for him in The Atlantis Chronicles and Aquaman: Time and Tide mini-series. He hit Superboy (when he was annoying twit) with tidal wave in an early issue and beat Namor in DC vs. Marvel. Visually I think Aquaman was the few characters that actually looked better in the 90s than he did before or after. He looked like a king. Now that maybe because when I think of kings the two that often come to mind are Jesus Christ and Henry VIII of England and both of them are of shown with long hair and beards. The Aquaman that in the New 52 looks like a yuppie prince with no commanding pressence who couldn't lead to a lead a school of goldfish much less a kingdom that covers 2/3 of the surface of the Earth.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Tim

Post by Tim »

Cyberstrike wrote: I read that series it was stupid.
Good god, 'strike....

Tact, my friend....tact...

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

If people would only qualify their opinions...

:P

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

slym2none wrote:If people would only qualify their opinions...

:P

-slym
That's stupid. :P
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

So's yer face.

-slym

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

:D

-slym

Captain Craig
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

Cyberstrike wrote:
Captain Craig wrote:Aquaman(vol.4), '00s, from issue #15-39. The first 12 issues are two 6issue arcs introducing a new foe called Thirst that drug on and about collapsed the book at the onset. DC changed creative teams, had a few fill ins, and from #15-39 the book was once again showcasing Arthur in a strong light. I think it's often overlooked for multiple reasons. The bad start, the title change at 40 cause of editorial fiat with DC's "One Year Later" event(sound familiar? 5yrs later event they just did). Busiek did what he could for the next 18 issues as it was called 'Sword of Atlantis' but the title wasn't our Arthur. Then of course it's sandwhiched between the much loved Peter David 90's run and the start of the nu52 run. But issues #15-39 are good reads and not likely to ever be collected....hit the $1 bins kids.
I read that series it was stupid.
First they turned Aquaman into exile from Atlantis and the oceans where he lives in rivers and fresh water lakes looking for the Lady of the Lake and he gets his cool cybernetic hand/harpoon turned into a stupid looking hand made out of magic water (and I'm not making that up) that no one knew what the powers could do.
Agreed. This was the first 12 issues I was speaking of that about ruined the book. No argument.
Cyberstrike wrote:Then a chunk of San Diego sinks the Pacific Ocean in an earthquake and somehow those who survive the quake can now live underwater and can't return to land because they'll die. He becomes the protector of Sub Diego with Aqualad/Tempest as his sidekick again. Basically he's underwater Batman. Which was equally stupid.
Agree...to disagree. About the only carryover from the first 12 issues was his exile from Atlantis so this gave him an area to protect AND be relevantly tied to surface world(ie US) interests.
Cyberstrike wrote: Peter David Aquaman series is still the best version of the character to date. Because Peter David did the impossible he made Aquaman cooler than Batman and Superman combined and created a rich legacy and history for him in The Atlantis Chronicles and Aquaman: Time and Tide mini-series. He hit Superboy (when he was annoying twit) with tidal wave in an early issue and beat Namor in DC vs. Marvel. Visually I think Aquaman was the few characters that actually looked better in the 90s than he did before or after. He looked like a king. Now that maybe because when I think of kings the two that often come to mind are Jesus Christ and Henry VIII of England and both of them are of shown with long hair and beards.
Agreed. It's why it's one collection every "hating to hate on Aquaman cause they think it's cool" hater should read about the Sea King.
Cyberstrike wrote: Aquaman that in the New 52 looks like a yuppie prince with no commanding pressence who couldn't lead to a lead a school of goldfish much less a kingdom that covers 2/3 of the surface of the Earth.
Agree....to disagree and I'd add that the majority keeping the book alive and prosperous after Geoff Johns left the book some 10 issues ago would agree. His classic look is great, all Johns did was splice in elements of Peter David's attitudinal King but keep the edges softer.