Has Anybody Dropped the Big Two for Valiant?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI
Re: Has Anybody Dropped the Big Two for Valiant?

Post by ilzuccone »

cray_ws wrote:
ilzuccone wrote: i have a chrome cast but can't use it because it leached my entire bandwidth. couldn't use the chrome cast and check emails etc. i think i got a defective one. nobody else seems to have the problem.

i'm going to look into hooking my iPad up the the tv tho. :lol:
Chromecast uses wifi, I'm not sure how you might think it's leaching bandwidth.
as soon as we turned on the chrome cast we couldn't load any web page.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

ilzuccone wrote:
cray_ws wrote:
ilzuccone wrote: i have a chrome cast but can't use it because it leached my entire bandwidth. couldn't use the chrome cast and check emails etc. i think i got a defective one. nobody else seems to have the problem.

Maybe it crashed your router. I've had a few random devices that did that.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

lorddunlow wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
cray_ws wrote:

Maybe it crashed your router. I've had a few random devices that did that.
The chrome cast would stream just fine. Nothing else could get online.

DantePD
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by DantePD »

I wouldn't say I dropped DC for Valiant, but VEI just happened to be picking up steam right about the same time I finally got fed up and washed my hands of the New 52.

NinJZA
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: Magnus RF vs. Predator
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt

Post by NinJZA »

DantePD wrote:I wouldn't say I dropped DC for Valiant, but VEI just happened to be picking up steam right about the same time I finally got fed up and washed my hands of the New 52.
Yup, this exactly. The DC/Wildstorm debacle plus the constant bugginess of Marvel Unlimited is literally what made me try out Scribd and re-discover Valiant. The big 2 did it to themselves.

I do still like reading some Marvel books, but DC Comics are basically dead to me. I don't mind going to each of the companies if they're putting out a good product in a certain medium, so if I want to read comics I usually go Valiant, if I watch a movie I'll go Marvel, and if I watch a TV show I'll go with DC, although I'm also an AoS fan.

Recent Marvel titles I've liked:

- Black Widow
- Punisher
- New Avengers
- Daredevil
- Hawkeye

Also read some of the cosmic stuff like Annihilation recently, which was pretty good. Still seems like Marvel characters on average are predictably heroic, except for the Punisher of course. I almost think that character should actually belong to Valiant :hm:
Last edited by NinJZA on Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:57:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hasmot
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Primary Reebo
Favorite title: X-O Manowar and Ninjak
Favorite writer: I don't even know anymore.
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by Hasmot »

Never did get much into the Marvel comics besides the Ultimate Spider-man that my wife followed, but dropping DC is exactly what I did for Valiant. There were too many reboots, deaths, and surprise not deaths for me. I hear that the big two are even both in the midst of more soft reboots at this moment. Not too concerned about it anymore though.

I hear that there is going to be another Frank Miller Dark Knight book coming out somewhat soon, which I will probably get along with alternate universe Superman stories such as Red Son and Secret Identity, but that is about it. I will go to the movies to catch what all them avenging folk are up to, but that is about it for me and the Marvel Universe. DC's movies (Dark Knight Trilogy and Man of Steel) are great, but as with Marvel they do not temp me in the slightest to go and buy one of their books.

I don't want to sound too sound too negative at all about the Big Two, I just think that this Valiant universe that I discovered a few years ago is the most awesome and I am not even looking back with any sort of regret.

edit: and those same page ads DC did this month sealed the already sealed deal

JCP
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Mico Suayan & Lewis LaRosa

Post by JCP »

I grew up as a little kids reading Marvel. I loved the stories and it helped me learn to read. I remember sharing comics with my buddies and thought Marvel could do no wrong. i really enjoyed the VH1 stories but stopped reading comics as I got older until recently in the last few years when I found all of my old comics at my folk's house in longboxes. I saw all the old Marvel and VH1 books and it renewed my interest. I picked up some Marvel and not VEI at first. I realized Marvel today was just a bunch of reboots and gimmicks. The stories were bland at best and atrocious many times. I then gave VEI a try and remembered why I loved comics all those years ago. I have a pull list again with my LCS and it's all VEI with nothing else. I have no regrets ditching Marvel. I never got in to DC and don't plan to.
Egad, a base tone denotes a bad age!