Has Anybody Dropped the Big Two for Valiant?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

All-Comic
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar / The Valiant
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Cary Nord
Has Anybody Dropped the Big Two for Valiant?

Post by All-Comic »

I'm curious. I'm legit considering it, and I was wondering if anybody had. I'd still keep my Image/Dark Horse/other publishers but I'd ditch the big two for Valiant. I'm tired of the convoluted-ness of it all. I’m very turned off of this Convergence thing and even Secret Wars really doesn’t have me the least bit excited. Assuming Secret Wars doesn’t trash everything, I might keep a few Marvel titles (Daredevil, Thor, Silver Surfer, and Punisher) but who knows what the fall out will be. I already pick up most the Valiant titles (I skipped Q2) so it’d just be a matter of dropping the other stuff and freeing up some room on the ol’ pull list.

Anyway, I guess I wonder if anybody actually misses the Big Two, if they’ve done this.

(Also, side question: What would/have you kept from Marvel/DC if you only MOSTLY jumped to Valiant?)
Founder/Editor-in-Chief of All-Comic.com
You can check out some of our Valiant posts and reviews right here!

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Re: Has Anybody Dropped the Big Two for Valiant?

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Valiant is my #1 publisher. I read everything they put out. I also like a couple of titles from Image. I read Flash from DC (because of V-Ditti), and Batgirl. From Marvel, I read Daredevil, Nova, Guardians, Ms. Marvel. I just can't get into Avengers, X-Men or Spidey. Just those more fringe characters.
so, I guess you can say I have "mostly" dropped the big 2, but not all the way. Just the major, most popular characters.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I will always love Batman, but there is more Valiant in my collection than anything else.

Sir Sandrick
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: X-O/Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by Sir Sandrick »

I would not be reading anything from Marvel, but then they acquired Star Wars again so... yeah, if there is one thing that I love as much as Valiant its Star Wars...

Since going digital a year ago I have found so many books via comixology and the humble bundle deals that I am kind of all over the place. Image in my opinion is putting the big two to shame with variety and freshness. Marvel and DC are constantly scrambling to redefine heroes by kill them/resurrect them and I just can't get on board that crazy train. i did pick up the Hawkeye Fraction series because I liked the different direction it was going. Great book for the first 8-10 issues. Other than that I really haven't touched anything from Marvel, DC/Vertigo.

I don't try to avoid the big 2, but I am amazed that there are so many absolutely fantastic books from everyone BUT them. Saga, The Wicked and the Divine, Big Trouble in Little China, Sheltered, Ghosted, Little Nemo, Manifest Destiny, Sweet Tooth, Nailbiter, Scalped, Stray Bullets, Southern *SQUEE*, Sex Criminals... so much variety out there. I really don't know how anyone still reads a Spider-man book based on anything but pure nostalgia. I love nostalgia (Star Wars) but I prefer a diversity of fresh story telling.

The one constant since I got back into comics in Summer 2012 has been Valiant. I was getting the physical copies for the first year and then went digital. I love the digital exclusives that they have ending each issue and I love not adding to my long box collection.

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

Yes I dropped MoonKnight Ghost Rider ~ went up and down, in and out, how many number onees do you want?

I stopped Hellblazer at 300 the new Constantine the Relaunch was abit super heroed up. But will probably buy them all for £0.50 latter. Maybe I am missing something ~ or dark justice, could pick that up ~ but just not interested.

I did like the swampthing attempts at relaunching since 2000, but haven't read the new stuff as in latest reboot.
Animal man ~ read some of the new series ~ seemed ok, but flipped through issues to quick ~ didn't seem to add much charactor development ( or maybe I missed it). Liked the 6 part mini series! And brought '52' as he appeared alot, seemed a great supporting charactor.

All my money is spent on valiant now, occationally buying runs of old comics.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Pretty much have done, but not just for VEI, also potentially other shared superhero universes (waiting on Dark Circle to add next).

Ultimate Marvel is basically done; I am stopping Avengers books as each ends its run; I only read Astro City and Multiversity (which is a mini) from DC. The shackles will be off. :)
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

I had dropped DC after the reboot, not long I dropped Marvel, I haven't bought a Marvel comic since Spider-Man #700 and Marvel Now Captain America #1. I had completely quit buying new comics when I stumbled on Valiant, now I read the whole line and very little else.

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

No.

Marvel still puts out some great titles, and I'm (perhaps the only one who is) excited about Secret Wars.

doodlebird
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Harbinger / A & A
Favorite writer: was Shooter
Favorite artist: Lapham, Starlin, Henry, and...

Post by doodlebird »

I just read Valiant- ALL Valiant. I still get the TPB for Walking dead, and most miniseries of Thanos. Oh, and the Bleeding Cool mag/comic. I occasionally will try out something here or there, but not much, and nothing has held my interest much.
:D

edit= oh yeah, I'm reading Superman/Wonder Woman regularly.
Last edited by doodlebird on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:25:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
read me, HC/TPB me; sign me, sketch me, slab me.
S.SAHLE

ValiantCentral
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: July 1992

Post by ValiantCentral »

I'm down to one DC and two Marvel (Batman, Thor, Moon Knight) and will probably drop Thor soon. I do read tons of Image and Dark Horse, but Valiant is obviously my number 1.
Valiant Database, up to date information on all VEI books and titles
Ivar's Longbox - a look back at books from VH1 and Acclaim
Valiant Central Podcast - a weekly discussion of the Valiant universe

krylox
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Armstrong

Post by krylox »

valiant are pretty much the only new superhero books i'm getting nowadays. still buying collected stuff from marvel and especially dc, but most of my money i spend on indies and graphic novels.

Joshua
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot 1
Favorite character: Probably Gilad
Favorite title: Wrath Of The Eternal Warrior
Favorite writer: Venditti
Favorite artist: Ryp

Post by Joshua »

I have to buy monthly books on a bit of a budget. Marvel and DC are less recognizable and harder for me to follow. I just looked at what it costs me to get a single copy of every Valiant book. I do DCBS for that and it is cheap. Plus, I can get some cool variants some of the time and the hardcovers. Probably costs me under $20 to follow the entire Valiant universe every month. So yeah, I kinda did drop everything for Valiant but I have enjoyed everything since the relaunch.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

i went 100% valiant a few months back. don't regret it at all.

DC has licked a nut since the new 52 so there was nothing keeping me on their books. I'm a marvel guy. always have been. marvel's output is now is on par with DC. garbage. sure there might be a few stand out titles but i don't have any interest to wade through the muck to find them.

it's been harder to ignore image. My plan is to listen to the rumblings online and if a title is well reviewed i'll buy it in hard cover.

Dark-Flux
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Favorite character: Gilad Anni-Pada
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Freshuart Vandittart
Favorite artist: Paulo Rivera

Post by Dark-Flux »

Yep, thoughit wasnt really out of dissaticfaction with the Big 2. More just cost cutting.

Id rather support smaller companies like Valiant month to month who need it more than the likes of Marvel and DC.

Marvel ive dropped entirely in favour of Marvel Unlimited and trades.
DC im down to just Batman and Superman monthly. Trade waiting everything else.

dornwolf

Post by dornwolf »

I pretty much have. I still by trades and the like but they're trades of older runs. I'll probably be dropping in to DC for Convergence and possible what ever Marvel does with Spider-man during Secret Wars otherwise I'm not bothering. Sad really as Earth-2 from DC was such a fun book.

So basically...

Valiant all the way they're whom I'm focusing on.

wwise03
Valiant fan since: Free Comic Book Day 2014
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by wwise03 »

I read all Valiant books, but I do read Batman and a few Marvel books (Black Widow, Thor, Ms. Marvel). I also intend to try Howard the Duck, Spider-Gwen and Ant-Man. I typically like the Marvel books that exist on their own and have an indie feel to them.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Sir Sandrick wrote:I really don't know how anyone still reads a Spider-man book based on anything but pure nostalgia.
I love a great variety of books and Image currently holds most of my favorites, but when I want a good, fun light-hearted read, I turn to Marvel (never was a big DC fan). Some of that may be nostalgia, but GotG is my current favorite for Marvel and Ms. Marvel is a really close second. I really like what Marvel puts out, despite the hate it receives. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.
The Beyonder wrote:No.

Marvel still puts out some great titles, and I'm (perhaps the only one who is) excited about Secret Wars.
I'm super stoked about Secret Wars! I really need to catch up on my Avengers reading.

I will point out that after Secret Wars, I plan on going solely with Marvel Unlimited. I haven't stayed on top of my current Marvel pulls and I already pay for Unlimited, so I'll just be 6 months behind (it's impossible to avoid spoilers anyway nowadays) and saving a bunch of money. (My floppies just sit in a closet untouched - and often unbagged - forever anyway.)
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Spylocke
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by Spylocke »

I try to keep at around ten titles a month so to pick up a title I have to drop one. Both DC and Marvel began cancelling titles which has cleared up more Valiant space for me. Since I don't think Iron Fist is going to last much longer I'll have another opening. Basically, the companies make my decisions for me. Maybe I'm just cursed and need to stay away from Valiant so I don't spread it to a company I love.

Beware Cyclops

Post by Beware Cyclops »

After being away from comics since late 1997ish, I came back solely for/because of Valiant. Anything that interests me from other publishers I'll usually buy digitally on sale or as a trade paperback or hardcover.

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

lorddunlow wrote:I'm super stoked about Secret Wars! I really need to catch up on my Avengers reading
Hickman's Avenger's is massive and awesome! The last few months have seemed like filler, but it's building to something big. In the end, if they joy of Secret Wars is only the journey and not the payoff, it will be worth it. Haven't been this excited about a big concept in a looooong time.

It looks like Hickman's Fantastic Four is also mandatory reading. I'm catching up on Marvel Unlimited, and it's the best the FF has been in decades.

All-Comic

Post by All-Comic »

So many great answers. I'm at 45 books a month, mostly digital, so I definitely want to cut down. I pick up about 20 Image books though and since I end up reviewing most of the Dark Horse/Mignolaverse ones that I want I usually trade/HC wait those to purchase. But certainly a lot of like minded people as far as DC/Marvel is concerned. I feel like Convergence is going to be the proverbial straw and I'll just be done with that (only exception MIGHT be Batman because, come on, Batman+Capullo) because, come on.

Marvel might have a few more stick around. Star Wars proper and the follow ups, if they're any good and SWP continues to be good, and the few odds and ends there. But I like hearing that people have mostly moved away and they don't feel like there's a void or they're missing something. Valiant, though only nine titles, feels complete and like it has a bit of everything, but being buried in so many other books that feeling could be misleading.
ilzuccone wrote:i went 100% valiant a few months back. don't regret it at all.

it's been harder to ignore image. My plan is to listen to the rumblings online and if a title is well reviewed i'll buy it in hard cover.
Certainly give Image a shot. Off the top of my head, Birthright, Rumble, Trees, Wicked + Divine, They're Not Like Us, Copperhead, Any Remender book,

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

I dropped the Big 2 for Valiant.

In 1992.

All-Comic

Post by All-Comic »

Dr. Solar wrote:I dropped the Big 2 for Valiant.

In 1992.
Nailed it. :high-five: haha

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

All-Comic wrote:So many great answers. I'm at 45 books a month, mostly digital, so I definitely want to cut down. I pick up about 20 Image books though and since I end up reviewing most of the Dark Horse/Mignolaverse ones that I want I usually trade/HC wait those to purchase. But certainly a lot of like minded people as far as DC/Marvel is concerned. I feel like Convergence is going to be the proverbial straw and I'll just be done with that (only exception MIGHT be Batman because, come on, Batman+Capullo) because, come on.

Marvel might have a few more stick around. Star Wars proper and the follow ups, if they're any good and SWP continues to be good, and the few odds and ends there. But I like hearing that people have mostly moved away and they don't feel like there's a void or they're missing something. Valiant, though only nine titles, feels complete and like it has a bit of everything, but being buried in so many other books that feeling could be misleading.

Certainly give Image a shot. Off the top of my head, Birthright, Rumble, Trees, Wicked + Divine, They're Not Like Us, Copperhead, Any Remender book,

So, I'll have to give my go-to Image proselytizing shtick for East of West. You have to read that book. It is the most awesomestestest comic book in the universe. Sooooooo good. Please read. So good.

Also, if you like a straight up dark fantasy, I cannot recommend Umbral more. It is currently my number 2 favorite book (behind East of West). I love Valiant, but so far, they haven't filled my need for a pure fantasy book yet (Doctor Mirage may have done, but it was sadly a miniseries).
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

All-Comic

Post by All-Comic »

lorddunlow wrote:
All-Comic wrote:So many great answers. I'm at 45 books a month, mostly digital, so I definitely want to cut down. I pick up about 20 Image books though and since I end up reviewing most of the Dark Horse/Mignolaverse ones that I want I usually trade/HC wait those to purchase. But certainly a lot of like minded people as far as DC/Marvel is concerned. I feel like Convergence is going to be the proverbial straw and I'll just be done with that (only exception MIGHT be Batman because, come on, Batman+Capullo) because, come on.

So, I'll have to give my go-to Image proselytizing shtick for East of West. You have to read that book. It is the most awesomestestest comic book in the universe. Sooooooo good. Please read. So good.

Also, if you like a straight up dark fantasy, I cannot recommend Umbral more. It is currently my number 2 favorite book (behind East of West). I love Valiant, but so far, they haven't filled my need for a pure fantasy book yet (Doctor Mirage may have done, but it was sadly a miniseries).
Yeah all Hickman work at Image too. And Mirage will be back! Just... not soon enough.