YOUR 20 Questions for Jim Shooter, Dark Horse interview DONE

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

leonmallett wrote:
400yrs wrote:Yeah, I've got no insight at all and what little I've heard could be rubbish, but it doesn't sound like people like working with VEI at all. Dino has always seemed shysterous to me anyway.
That seems unfair.

I have been upfront about my doubts about VEI (specifically their motivations and their focus), and I have consistently stated the reasons for those doubts, but to label them or board members associated with them as 'shysterous' seems in bad form, unless there is something to support the accusation.
That would be my own personal dealings with him that led me to that adjective. :thumb:
ASM Crossover Home

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

How come nobody asked Shooter what his board name is on here?

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

depluto wrote:How come nobody asked Shooter what his board name is on here?
I think one of us asked him in NY in Feb and he said he didn't have one.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

wrunow wrote:
plus Dellamorte asked him if he ever posted on the board in the interview section of his fantastic project and Jim responded that he did not.

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: BloodShot

Post by MoonChild »

Brother J wrote:
wrunow wrote:
plus Dellamorte asked him if he ever posted on the board in the interview section of his fantastic project and Jim responded that he did not.
That's true, don't mean he doesn't read it tho :wink:
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I still think he might be Dawgphan.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

400yrs wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
400yrs wrote:Yeah, I've got no insight at all and what little I've heard could be rubbish, but it doesn't sound like people like working with VEI at all. Dino has always seemed shysterous to me anyway.
That seems unfair.

I have been upfront about my doubts about VEI (specifically their motivations and their focus), and I have consistently stated the reasons for those doubts, but to label them or board members associated with them as 'shysterous' seems in bad form, unless there is something to support the accusation.
That would be my own personal dealings with him that led me to that adjective. :thumb:
I can't argue with personal experience. :thumb:

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

depluto wrote:I still think he might be Dawgphan.
:lol: where the hell is that pic of him in his powder blue... :P :lol:

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

myron wrote:
:lol: where the hell is that pic of him in his powder blue... :P :lol:
As you said: Hell. :P
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

:roll:

I certainly hope not.

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?

Post by wrunow »

leonmallett wrote:
400yrs wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
That seems unfair.

I can't argue with personal experience. :thumb:
I can, "shysterous" is in bad form. Dinesh has been careless and less than timely with some of his sales here to board members, I assume that's what you're talking about, I personally think he just gets lost in other business, but I don't think he's ever not made good on whatever transaction he's been involved in.

If you would like to check my references with some of the guys at the San Diego con as far as whether I know what I am talking about or not you can, and I am really not at liberty to talk about VEI and the business of Jason and Dinesh, but what I will say is that they are working very hard trying to organize this company, and it is their main gig. They both are huge VALIANT fans and want to do this right the first time, as we all know they'll probably not get another chance.

VEI is not dead, they just haven't announced their plans yet, when they will we will all be free to critique as much as we like. Obviously the ball is in their court, hopefully they can make something of it.

I remain positive.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

wrunow wrote:I can, "shysterous" is in bad form. Dinesh has been careless and less than timely with some of his sales here to board members, I assume that's what you're talking about, I personally think he just gets lost in other business, but I don't think he's ever not made good on whatever transaction he's been involved in.
Again, I have no experience so I defer to you both, and recognise that you both have specific opinions. :thumb:
If you would like to check my references with some of the guys at the San Diego con as far as whether I know what I am talking about or not you can,...
:?
...and I am really not at liberty to talk about VEI and the business of Jason and Dinesh, but what I will say is that they are working very hard trying to organize this company, and it is their main gig. They both are huge VALIANT fans and want to do this right the first time, as we all know they'll probably not get another chance.
They may well want to things right, and more power to them. My concerns have been consistent about the focus of their business as it appears based on what information they have put out.

My concern remains that they are focused on licensing more so than publishing comic books, that the latter are a secondary concern, which I do not believe to be a viable model for a comic book publisher, if that is what they plan to be.
VEI is not dead, they just haven't announced their plans yet, when they will we will all be free to critique as much as we like. Obviously the ball is in their court, hopefully they can make something of it.
Actually, we are free to critique as we like, when we like, irresepctive of what VEI may or may not do.

They may not be dead, but the evidence of their survival is various veiled rumours from people 'in the know' and an advert for an intern. Not the stuff of great optimism for me.

Especially compounded by the fact that certain very-high profile former VALIANT staff members are choosing to publicly state they won't be working with VEI.
I remain positive.
Good for you. :thumb:
I mean that earnestly.

I just don't share the sentiment. :|

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?

Post by wrunow »

leonmallett wrote:
wrunow wrote:I can, "shysterous" is in bad form. Dinesh has been careless and less than timely with some of his sales here to board members, I assume that's what you're talking about, I personally think he just gets lost in other business, but I don't think he's ever not made good on whatever transaction he's been involved in.
Again, I have no experience so I defer to you both, and recognise that you both have specific opinions. :thumb:
If you would like to check my references with some of the guys at the San Diego con as far as whether I know what I am talking about or not you can,...
:?
...and I am really not at liberty to talk about VEI and the business of Jason and Dinesh, but what I will say is that they are working very hard trying to organize this company, and it is their main gig. They both are huge VALIANT fans and want to do this right the first time, as we all know they'll probably not get another chance.
They may well want to things right, and more power to them. My concerns have been consistent about the focus of their business as it appears based on what information they have put out.

My concern remains that they are focused on licensing more so than publishing comic books, that the latter are a secondary concern, which I do not believe to be a viable model for a comic book publisher, if that is what they plan to be.
Actually, we are free to critique as we like, when we like, irresepctive of what VEI may or may not do.

They may not be dead, but the evidence of their survival is various veiled rumours from people 'in the know' and an advert for an intern. Not the stuff of great optimism for me.

Especially compounded by the fact that certain very-high profile former VALIANT staff members are choosing to publicly state they won't be working with VEI.
I remain positive.
Good for you. :thumb:
I mean that earnestly.

I just don't share the sentiment. :|
You know, I am defending a friend of mine here, and quite frankly this conversation doesn't belong in this thread. I am sorry that I cannot give you the hard facts you are looking for, hopefully when VEI makes their announcements you'll find some positive sentiment towards their work.

TDarke
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by TDarke »

At this point, all I'm hoping for from VEI are hardcover collections of the "best" from VH-1/VH-2.

Mostly I would really just like all of the pre-UNITY and UNITY comics collected in hardcovers. Additional content is not necessary. Anything beyond that is really a bonus.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

I'm not really that interested in a hardcover of Unity really. As prevalent as the GK three are in the story, I imagine VEI is not too crazy about the idea either.

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.

Post by mrwoogieman »

Thank you, JC, for involving this board in the interview. You didn't have to involve the fans the way you did, but I'm grateful that you did so.

:clap:

Big Jim is returning to comics!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

As for the rest of what I'm reading here.....well, let's just say I disagree with the tone and content of most of what I've been reading. But to single out just two items:

Schlonglips, Dino is "shysterous"? Really? I think you're being unfair to one of the biggest Valiant fans going. Really.

Leonmallett, rather than debate your relentlessly negative opinion, here is mine: :roll:

Carry on, fans.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

I would like to also come to Dino's defense regarding the label "shyster".

When he did the first vcvss or whatever you want to call it, he was charging $30. I asked for one, but before paying encountered some bills that were unexpected. Comic funds became more than just scarce. Demand for the book increased and my unpaid copy became the last book, and he continued to hold it for me, for several months, if I recall correctly. He didn't quickly try to cash in or raise the price or anything. I felt that he treated me like a friend would throughout the deal, and was very patient. I don't think that a "shyster" would have done the same.

Anyway, that was my experience with him.

JCVaughn
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by JCVaughn »

mrwoogieman wrote:Thank you, JC, for involving this board in the interview. You didn't have to involve the fans the way you did, but I'm grateful that you did so.

:clap:

Big Jim is returning to comics!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks, again. I think I've mentioned this elsewhere, but doing the interview this way popped into my head as soon as Jim and I hit the floor at San Diego after the annoucement.

What a cool experience that was to witness, btw!

I hope everything works out that we can do more. I know I'm eager for details about these new series, too.
Last edited by JCVaughn on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:55:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

wrunow wrote:You know, I am defending a friend of mine here, and quite frankly this conversation doesn't belong in this thread. I am sorry that I cannot give you the hard facts you are looking for, hopefully when VEI makes their announcements you'll find some positive sentiment towards their work.
Given that VEI is specifically referenced in the questions, and it is the one topic most members of this board want to know about, then why doesn't it belong here?*

That said I am willing to continue the conversation in any thread.

I am also willing to admit that my concerns about the intetnions of VEI re: comic book publishing are wrong if given evidence to prove me wrong. There is none forthcoming it appears, but as I have said on more than one occasion, I want them (VEI) to prove me wrong.

*Unless this should be the only thread on this board to never disgress....

UnknownTales
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 2005
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Smith

Post by UnknownTales »

I am Jim Shooter.

JCVaughn

Post by JCVaughn »

UnknownTales wrote:I am Jim Shooter.
And I am Queens Boulevard....

UnknownTales
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 2005
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Barry Smith

Post by UnknownTales »

JC. I don't know how familiar you are with this board, but a year or so ago, there was a rumor that Mr. Shooter was lurking on the boards here. I believe there was a thread or two about who or which board name was actually Mr. Shooter. The I AM SHOOTER is a tribute to the hours we spent trying to uncover a mystery within an enigma within a puzzle which turned out to be a rumor.

Hey! Someone post a link to that thread in this section if they still have it.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

JCVaughn wrote:
Hahaha

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

JCVaughn wrote:
JC - be warned: greg may use that comment against you when it comes to your custom...

:P :twisted: :D

JCVaughn

Post by JCVaughn »

leonmallett wrote:
JCVaughn wrote:
JC - be warned: greg may use that comment against you when it comes to your custom...

:P :twisted: :D
Ha! Funny. It's a quote from Entourage.