Has Anybody Dropped the Big Two for Valiant?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

bobby97801
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Re: Has Anybody Dropped the Big Two for Valiant?

Post by bobby97801 »

All I buy or read now is nothing but Valiant. :thumb:

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I have bought Amazing Spider-Man, Iron Man and Fantastic Four every month for decades. There have been stretches where I question myself, but then I see that nice complete run of books and smile. But now? Superior Spider-Man? Superior Iron Man? FF? All these *SQUEE* variant covers?

Makes me want to tie off my runs where they are and call it a day. I still get a couple of copies of every Valiant book. MMV!

All-Comic
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: X-O Manowar / The Valiant
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by All-Comic »

depluto wrote:I have bought Amazing Spider-Man, Iron Man and Fantastic Four every month for decades. There have been stretches where I question myself, but then I see that nice complete run of books and smile. But now? Superior Spider-Man? Superior Iron Man? FF? All these *SQUEE* variant covers?

Makes me want to tie off my runs where they are and call it a day. I still get a couple of copies of every Valiant book. MMV!
First, fantastic Valiant shirt in the avatar haha.
Second, I agree. All the stops and starts and renumbering, etc, etc. Gets to be too much.
Founder/Editor-in-Chief of All-Comic.com
You can check out some of our Valiant posts and reviews right here!

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

All-Comic wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
All-Comic wrote:So many great answers. I'm at 45 books a month, mostly digital, so I definitely want to cut down. I pick up about 20 Image books though and since I end up reviewing most of the Dark Horse/Mignolaverse ones that I want I usually trade/HC wait those to purchase. But certainly a lot of like minded people as far as DC/Marvel is concerned. I feel like Convergence is going to be the proverbial straw and I'll just be done with that (only exception MIGHT be Batman because, come on, Batman+Capullo) because, come on.

Marvel might have a few more stick around. Star Wars proper and the follow ups, if they're any good and SWP continues to be good, and the few odds and ends there. But I like hearing that people have mostly moved away and they don't feel like there's a void or they're missing something. Valiant, though only nine titles, feels complete and like it has a bit of everything, but being buried in so many other books that feeling could be misleading.
ilzuccone wrote:i went 100% valiant a few months back. don't regret it at all.

it's been harder to ignore image. My plan is to listen to the rumblings online and if a title is well reviewed i'll buy it in hard cover.
Certainly give Image a shot. Off the top of my head, Birthright, Rumble, Trees, Wicked + Divine, They're Not Like Us, Copperhead, Any Remender book,

So, I'll have to give my go-to Image proselytizing shtick for East of West. You have to read that book. It is the most awesomestestest comic book in the universe. Sooooooo good. Please read. So good.

Also, if you like a straight up dark fantasy, I cannot recommend Umbral more. It is currently my number 2 favorite book (behind East of West). I love Valiant, but so far, they haven't filled my need for a pure fantasy book yet (Doctor Mirage may have done, but it was sadly a miniseries).
Yeah all Hickman work at Image too. And Mirage will be back! Just... not soon enough.
i'm going to give east of west another chance when it comes out in hardcover mainly because dunlow won't shut up about it. i read the first issue or two and didn't feel the need to continue.

hickmen…. loved red wing. my opinion on his marvel work is well documented in other threads. it's boring as squee.

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

ilzuccone wrote:
All-Comic wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
All-Comic wrote:So many great answers. I'm at 45 books a month, mostly digital, so I definitely want to cut down. I pick up about 20 Image books though and since I end up reviewing most of the Dark Horse/Mignolaverse ones that I want I usually trade/HC wait those to purchase. But certainly a lot of like minded people as far as DC/Marvel is concerned. I feel like Convergence is going to be the proverbial straw and I'll just be done with that (only exception MIGHT be Batman because, come on, Batman+Capullo) because, come on.

Marvel might have a few more stick around. Star Wars proper and the follow ups, if they're any good and SWP continues to be good, and the few odds and ends there. But I like hearing that people have mostly moved away and they don't feel like there's a void or they're missing something. Valiant, though only nine titles, feels complete and like it has a bit of everything, but being buried in so many other books that feeling could be misleading.

it's been harder to ignore image. My plan is to listen to the rumblings online and if a title is well reviewed i'll buy it in hard cover.
Certainly give Image a shot. Off the top of my head, Birthright, Rumble, Trees, Wicked + Divine, They're Not Like Us, Copperhead, Any Remender book,

So, I'll have to give my go-to Image proselytizing shtick for East of West. You have to read that book. It is the most awesomestestest comic book in the universe. Sooooooo good. Please read. So good.

Also, if you like a straight up dark fantasy, I cannot recommend Umbral more. It is currently my number 2 favorite book (behind East of West). I love Valiant, but so far, they haven't filled my need for a pure fantasy book yet (Doctor Mirage may have done, but it was sadly a miniseries).
Yeah all Hickman work at Image too. And Mirage will be back! Just... not soon enough.
i'm going to give east of west another chance when it comes out in hardcover mainly because dunlow won't shut up about it. i read the first issue or two and didn't feel the need to continue.

hickmen…. loved red wing. my opinion on his marvel work is well documented in other threads. it's boring as squee.
It may just not be your thing, but if you read #6 and #10 and don't like it, well... There's just no hope for you.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Magnus9178
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Turok
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Ron Marz

Post by Magnus9178 »

Dropped DC big time, but the new 52 made that easy. I've been slowly weeding down Marvel.

slym2none
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

lorddunlow wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
All-Comic wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

It may just not be your thing, but if you read #6 and #10 and don't like it, well... There's just no hope for you.
He hasn't fallen in love with Crow yet... the poor *SQUEE*.

:P

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

lorddunlow wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
All-Comic wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

i've been wrong in the past. i almost dropped harbinger after the first issue.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

ilzuccone wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:
ilzuccone wrote:
All-Comic wrote:
lorddunlow wrote:

i've been wrong in the past. i almost dropped harbinger after the first issue.
Pick up the first EoW TPB. If it doesn't make you want to get the 2nd TPB, at least IMHO you gave it a fair shot.

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

:thumb:

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

I collect all the monthly Valiant titles and a few Image books. I buy the Batman series in HC editions and I am picking up my last Green Arrow trade, which was written by Jeff Lemire. Never bought a Marvel book and I have no plans to do so in the future.

mkb28

Ras the future fan
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot

Post by Ras the future fan »

I dropped DC with the new52 and is only reading two marvel book's currently. Besides valiant I also read a few books from dark horse and IDW.
Don't be afraid of the Darque!

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

I collect all the Valiant monthly titles, plus a bunch of Marvel titles (pretty much all of the big original silver age characters, plus really digging She-Hulk right now, as well as Nova, Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, and several others). However depending on how Secret Wars shakes out, I may be 100% Valiant by the end of 2015. My wallet is looking for a good excuse to stop collecting, but with unbroken 40 year runs of a lot of titles, it's going to take something big like a poorly executed reboot to get me to stop.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

GammaJosh wrote:I collect all the Valiant monthly titles, plus a bunch of Marvel titles (pretty much all of the big original silver age characters, plus really digging She-Hulk right now, as well as Nova, Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, and several others). However depending on how Secret Wars shakes out, I may be 100% Valiant by the end of 2015. My wallet is looking for a good excuse to stop collecting, but with unbroken 40 year runs of a lot of titles, it's going to take something big like a poorly executed reboot to get me to stop.
You mean the starting over with #1s for all the titles didn't do it?

:P

-slym

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

I dropped a deuce after lunch today. Does that count?

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Yes.

I still watch the movies though. :thumb:

DBS

ilzuccone

Post by ilzuccone »

wait am i the only one who has dropped the big 2 for valiant?

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

DirtbagSailor wrote:Yes.

DBS
Time on the bowl will never be the same: "I'm dropping the Big Two! It's for Valiant!"

GammaJosh
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

slym2none wrote:
GammaJosh wrote:I collect all the Valiant monthly titles, plus a bunch of Marvel titles (pretty much all of the big original silver age characters, plus really digging She-Hulk right now, as well as Nova, Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, and several others). However depending on how Secret Wars shakes out, I may be 100% Valiant by the end of 2015. My wallet is looking for a good excuse to stop collecting, but with unbroken 40 year runs of a lot of titles, it's going to take something big like a poorly executed reboot to get me to stop.
I'm talking about a continuity reboot, not renumbering. Sure, renumbering is annoying as a collector, but I can't argue with quality. I love Dan Slott on Spidey, especially on Superior Spider-Man. Superior Iron Man is off to a great start with an interesting twist and awesome are with a throw-back feel and classic color palette. Dauterman's art on Thor is gorgeous and I'm intrigued as to who the new lady-Thor really is. Not one but two renumberings of Daredevil by Mark Waid have both proved highly entertaining. Should I really be basing my decision to buy on the number on the front of the book, or should I base that decision on the contents of the book?

cray_ws
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1992 - X-O Manawar
Favorite writer: Peter Milligan
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by cray_ws »

I am not bound by any publishers, I learned my lesson about that way back in early 90's. I don't follow specific characters, regardless of how much I enjoyed them. Writers and artist have so many different takes on these same characters that it's hard to see them as the same. Spider-man written by Stan Lee is not the same as Bendis two entirely different personas. I'm not saying either writer is bad or even the idea that characters evolve based on writer or artist's perspective. I do follow creators, but I've learned that I shouldn't do that within confines of establishment. So while Warren Ellis is my favorite writer, I won't follow his Marvel or DC work. I would prefer to follow his creator-owned works. However I should point out that when sales pop up, I will buy a trade (digitally) of Ellis' DC and Marvel works.

I been buying a lot of Image, IDW, BOOM, ONI and of course Valiant titles. The latter I been "following" abit late I might add. I want so badly to pick up some Dark Horse stuff specifically Mike Mignola via comixology app. I really hate their own app. So they are only publisher that I been buying hardcopies, but it's been months since I last did that.

My opinion of Marvel and DC is that I've been there done that....nothing could possibly happen in their respective universes that is going "change" things. I know what happens in every storyline, they are predictable because once you realize Superman, Batman, Spider-man, even Wolverine are never going die. So no villain, however despicable he/she is portrayed within confines of 12 yr old rating is going kill your beloved hero. The threats no matter how grandiose they seem, are completely hollow. Wolverine is not dead...he's coming back. Right now they are just milking the suckers who read this as it's relevant. Don't get wrong I like Batman, but I had my cup of fill after I read Frank Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. So whenever I get an itch for a Batman comic and I don't get it often, I pull out this trade and re-read it. I do own other Batman trades, but Batman: The Dark Knight Returns seems to quell any thought about "following" a current Batman title.

I'm actually in the mist of winding down my run on Justice League. I got suckered into believing this 52 thing would be great with Jim Lee at the helm (who is my favorite artist). I'm on issue 37 and I'm trying find the right time to end it. I'm thinking #40 or #50 will wrap things up. As for Marvel titles I'm "following"...the entire freakin Ultimate line! yeah I regret even considered them. Comixology had like sale a year ago and I snatched up everything Ultimate universe related. But I'm not going pay $4 for a comic! Plus with news of Marvel killing off the Ultimate universe, I abruptly quit buying any titles. So now If I want to read any Marvel or DC title, it's got to be self-contained trade and on sale. I recently bought the first volume of Hawkeye trade for $5.

I will stick with Valiant as long as I don't feel like they are just throwing things out there to see what sticks or if they start doing retcons of their fairly new continuity. I've learned that continuity however you see it, is never the same way when there are multiple hands on the wheel steering in various directions. So things eventually do get retconned, rebooted. It's an unavoidable aspect of a continuity-verse. So until that happens I am on the follow Valiant wagon.

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

In reply to the OP:
Yea, mostly. I still buy Batman, Grayson, and Ultimate Spider-Man on my monthly subscription (even though it hasn't been very good lately) though. I don't think Marvel and DC are all bad though.. Here's everything else I'm reading by other means (friends, trades, download, etc), in order from "would-be-buying-every-month-if-I-was-rich" to "maybe-when-it's-in-the-35-cent-box."
DC: Pak and Kuder's Action Comics, Johns and Romita's Superman, Azzarello and Chiang's Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Green Lantern, V-ditti's The Flash, Teen Titans, New Suicide Squad.
Marvel: Superior Iron Man, Uncanny X-Men, All-New X-Men.
The jury's still out on Finch's Wonder Woman, Green Arrow (post-Lemire), Gotham Academy, Cyclops (post-Rucka), Ms. Marvel.

Like most people here it seems, after realizing how great Valiant's shared-universe is I quickly became disillusioned with the big 2. To be fair though, I actually think DC is doing a great job right now. Their Superman line is stronger than it's been in years, the Bat-line is filled to the brim with creative and unique books, the main Justice League and event books have been fantastic, and there's a wide variety of high-quality books across the board: from Justice League United to Swamp Thing. If it wasn't for Valiant being so amazing, DC would be my publisher of choice.
I'm much less pro-Marvel. To me they're making some of the worst creative decisions they could possibly be making right now.
WAY too many events
Too many #1's and "relaunches"
Too much forced diversity
Storylines that are made for the exclusive purpose of building to something in the future (which is great, in moderation).
Overprices books.
Bendis is doing too much lazy work per month. Kick him off everything but one or two books. He shouldn't be heading both the X-Men and cosmic lines.
The broken promises of "everything is going to change."
Kicking talent off books too early (Ghost Rider, Moon Knight)
I could, almost literally, go on forever. But my biggest problem is that Marvel, with their money-absorbing movies, is in the position to truly change the industry for the better, and they do absolutely nothing. DC is actively trying to do healthy things for the industry, but they get overshadowed by the competition every month. It's sad, honestly.

Other books on my subscription:
Everything Whedonverse, currently Buffy and Angel & Faith Season 10.
Project Black Sky's Captain Midnight and X. (which is ending soon... :( )
Image: Wytches, Birthright, Death Vigil
And I'll be checking out Archie's Dark Circle superhero-line when it starts up too.
cray_ws wrote: As for Marvel titles I'm "following"...the entire freakin Ultimate line! yeah I regret even considered them. Comixology had like sale a year ago and I snatched up everything Ultimate universe related. But I'm not going pay $4 for a comic! Plus with news of Marvel killing off the Ultimate universe, I abruptly quit buying any titles.
So you're not gonna read books from the Ultimate U because it's ending soon? Just because it's coming to and end doesn't there's nothing good from the past. Millar's The Ultimates 1 & 2, Hickman's Ultimates, Ultimate Spider-man, Millar/Bendis/Vaughn's Ultimate X-Men, and Spencer/Wood's Ultimate X-Men are all very good. I'd recommend them to anyone that likes superheroes. The Ultimates by Mark Millar is probably still the best superhero comic I've ever read.

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

All-Comic wrote:I feel like Convergence is going to be the proverbial straw and I'll just be done with that because, come on
But what's wrong with Convergence? It's just a break from the New 52 for two months, then everything goes back to "normal." I don't think it's even crossing over into any of the ongoing books. It's not like Secret Wars at all.

cray_ws
Valiant fan since: 1992 - X-O Manawar
Favorite writer: Peter Milligan
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain

Post by cray_ws »

TheFerg714 wrote: So you're not gonna read books from the Ultimate U because it's ending soon? Just because it's coming to and end doesn't there's nothing good from the past. Millar's The Ultimates 1 & 2, Hickman's Ultimates, Ultimate Spider-man, Millar/Bendis/Vaughn's Ultimate X-Men, and Spencer/Wood's Ultimate X-Men are all very good. I'd recommend them to anyone that likes superheroes. The Ultimates by Mark Millar is probably still the best superhero comic I've ever read.
I've already caught up with the ultimate line. Millar's Ultimates and Wood's Ultimate X-Men were the best parts. I really tried to enjoy ultimate Spider-man but it wasn't all that fresh. It felt like a rewrite of the 616. Totally digressing here... I thought Spider-man 2099 deviated from the original in a much better way. I was really hoping ultimate Spider-man would be something different. It's too bad Miles Morales came along so late in the game, he might've saved the line had he been there from the beginning.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

GammaJosh wrote:
slym2none wrote:
I'm talking about a continuity reboot, not renumbering. Sure, renumbering is annoying as a collector, but I can't argue with quality. I love Dan Slott on Spidey, especially on Superior Spider-Man. Superior Iron Man is off to a great start with an interesting twist and awesome are with a throw-back feel and classic color palette. Dauterman's art on Thor is gorgeous and I'm intrigued as to who the new lady-Thor really is. Not one but two renumberings of Daredevil by Mark Waid have both proved highly entertaining. Should I really be basing my decision to buy on the number on the front of the book, or should I base that decision on the contents of the book?
Taking the " :P " out of my post makes it seem so much more serious than it was.

:|

-slym (notes to himself - don't make jokes with GammaJosh anymore)

lorddunlow

Post by lorddunlow »

slym2none wrote:
GammaJosh wrote:
slym2none wrote:
Taking the " :P " out of my post makes it seem so much more serious than it was.

:|

-slym (notes to himself - don't make jokes with GammaJosh anymore)
:lol:

I still don't get passing game on good books just because of renumbering. It passes me off to no end (I'm looking at you Valiant!) but at the end of the day, it doesn't affect content.

I'm definitely not a sucker because I like Marvel books. They have a huge number of great books. All New X-Men is one of the most gratifying reads in my current pull list and GotG is just plain fun. To be honest, since VEI canned Archer and Armstrong as an ongoing, there is nothing like that from VEI.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.